Reporting live from SANTA ANITA

Gabe

Horse racing expert
I post paddock picks when I’m here. Horses speak through their body language.

Gabe

Horse racing expert
horse racing is a lot more difficult to win nowadays then it was 20 years ago. The takeout/vig is outrageous, there is more information than ever out there which makes big longshots harder to get. People have access to replays with a click of a button. There are robots and syndicate players that makes it really hard on the little guy to come out ahead.

The people that I know who win with horse racing do it with contests or they go for big scores like the pick 5 or 6. Try and win 5 figures on something.

One good pick 5, or 6 can make your year or even your life. It's not a grind em type sport, you need to bet large amounts of money and be able to withstand huge swings.

horse racing is a lot more difficult to win nowadays then it was 20 years ago.

People say the same type of shiz with sportsbetting.

It really isn't any harder (I am sure it was hard 20 years ago).
Maybe whatever worked 20 years ago doesn't work today.... That doesn't mean it is "harder"

There is a difficulty to winning. Some guys are doing the right type of work to overcome that difficulty. Some guys are not.

I'm just tired of these blanket statements of "oh... It was so much easier 20 years ago" as there is no truth to said statement.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

Maybe whatever worked 20 years ago doesn't work today.... That doesn't mean it is "harder"

There is a difficulty to winning. Some guys are doing the right type of work to overcome that difficulty. Some guys are not.

I'm just tired of these blanket statements of "oh... It was so much easier 20 years ago" as there is no truth to said statement.
I disagree (well with sports can't speak for horse racing). There were way more mistakes made but the books 20 years ago than there are today such as taking tons of correlated parlays (soccer unders to draw, puckline tot total, runline to total)awful team totals etc. There are still holes out there but the cherries are limited compared to years ago.

Gabe

Horse racing expert

It’s a completely different animal now . There’s software, easy access to replays and bloodlines. So much more information now that helps the public. Field sizes are less and trainers are not giving their horses a race as much as before , they are working them out like it’s a race.

It’s a completely different animal now . There’s software, easy access to replays and bloodlines. So much more information now that helps the public. Field sizes are less and trainers are not giving their horses a race as much as before , they are working them out like it’s a race.

What exactly makes it more difficult? All you are saying is that it is different than it was 20 years ago. No one would disagree with that.

Gabe

Horse racing expert
20 years ago I was able to bet

2 team 6pt teasers at +100
3 team 180
Correlated parlays
Bonus Free play rules weren’t as strict
Used to do (8) 3 team parlays to get most out of free play
Team totals and props were less sharp

I disagree (well with sports can't speak for horse racing). There were way more mistakes made but the books 20 years ago than there are today such as taking tons of correlated parlays (soccer unders to draw, puckline tot total, runline to total)awful team totals etc. There are still holes out there but the cherries are limited compared to years ago.

Well all this is probably true. Most people probably did not know about this stuff 20 years ago and those that knew were probably working hard to discover these things. If books were just getting killed and going out of because of these particular bets i imagine they would have changed their odds. What more than likely happened is very few people knew, thus the books were winning at close to the same percentage they are now.

The only difference in my head is the free bonus money. That is definitely a difference now compared to 14ish years ago. It was easier to win with bonus money, that i will agree with.

Gabe

Horse racing expert
What exactly makes it more difficult? All you are saying is that it is different than it was 20 years ago. No one would disagree with that.

Smarter public, ratio of pros and joes, less dumb money. In the 90s all I ever bet was horses then once fully engaged with sports I realized how much better it was .

Gabe

Horse racing expert
Well all this is probably true. Most people probably did not know about this stuff 20 years ago and those that knew were probably working hard to discover these things. If books were just getting killed and going out of because of these particular bets i imagine they would have changed their odds. What more than likely happened is very few people knew, thus the books were winning at close to the same percentage they are now.

The only difference in my head is the free bonus money. That is definitely a difference now compared to 14ish years ago. It was easier to win with bonus money, that i will agree with.

Remember all those books with 100% bonuses? In those days you could easy turn a $100 to $1000 with basic bonus busting .

Plus the damn books wouldn’t limit what you did with the bonus like they do now .

Brayden11

EOG Dedicated
Remember all those books with 100% bonuses? In those days you could easy turn a $100 to $1000 with basic bonus busting .

Plus the damn books wouldn’t limit what you did with the bonus like they do now .

They've evolved, just like a sharp like you do. Got any winners at SA tomorrow?

Gabe

Horse racing expert
I’ll know tomorrow. Have a case of seconditis lately .

If you ever need any forms let me know Brayden

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
The Internet made everyone semi-sharp....it was much easier to win from the late 80s to the early 90s...but you needed multiple outs and a keen sense of numbers and what was going on...just my opinion...

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Agree....110%

Heim

EOG Master
and to minimize mistakes they came up with over-night numbers to get help from bettors while collecting +110.