RIP Lonnie Shelton

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
Probably before most EOG’ers time, but Lonnie Shelton was a key member of the Seattle SuperSonics 1979 Championship team.
Great power forward.
Seattle was a powerhouse in that era. They made the Finals in 1978 (without Shelton), won in 1979, made conference finals in 1980. Took Kareem & rookie Magic to knock them off...

1979 was a nadir period for the NBA: pre Magic/Bird, post early-mid 70’s great teams (Celts, Knicks, Lakers, Walton).

I still have 2 unused tickets from the 1st game of that series, at The Capital Centre. I’m unable to post the pictures, but the cost, “tax incl.”, was a whopping $9.
An unused ticket from a classic game, like the Celtics-Suns “Garfield Heard” game, or Magic’s 7th game in 1980, could be worth thousands on eBay nowadays.
I doubt Ebay could get face value the ‘79 Finals ticket.

MrTop

EOG Master
Re: RIP Lonnie Shelton

Bill Bradley once said Shelton had faster hands defensively than Clyde Frazier

Heim

EOG Master

Most people don't know Lonnie was the CA HS state shotput champ out of Bakersfield.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Rail used to shotput train at the same facility as Lonnie.

I chatted via text with Birdie earlier today.

Gave him an NBA Summer League winner when the pointspread outcome was a certainty late in the fourth quarter.

What's the saying about turnabout?

common guy

EOG Senior Member

Most people don't know Lonnie was the CA HS state shotput champ out of Bakersfield.
Lonnie same age as me,same county (Kern). He actually took third in state shot put his senior year but won in discus flinging it 195' to shatter the record. Future pro wrestler Jim "the Anvil" Neidhardt won the shot that year. Future olympians Willie Banks and Clancy Edwards were also winners that year at the always amazing Calif state track meet
My best Lonnie Shelton memory is from 74 or 75 when the Oregon St Beavs are upsetting/beating Bruins badly and even though dunking is outlawed then,he finishes the bruins off with an exclamation point thunder jam.
Lonnie was one of Bakersfield best along with Buck,Merle and Giff.

Heim

EOG Master

Lonnie same age as me,same county (Kern). He actually took third in state shot put his senior year but won in discus flinging it 195' to shatter the record. Future pro wrestler Jim "the Anvil" Neidhardt won the shot that year. Future olympians Willie Banks and Clancy Edwards were also winners that year at the always amazing Calif state track meet
My best Lonnie Shelton memory is from 74 or 75 when the Oregon St Beavs are upsetting/beating Bruins badly and even though dunking is outlawed then,he finishes the bruins off with an exclamation point thunder jam.
Lonnie was one of Bakersfield best along with Buck,Merle and Giff.

You forgot Dwight Yocum & to a lesser extent NBA bust, tweeker Robert Swift.

railbird

EOG Master

another usc qb besides Frank Gifford was Cody Kessler, both Bakersfield Drillers

Heim

EOG Master

A saw a recent picture of him at his HS HOF dinner. Lonnie must have weighted close to 400 lb.

railbird

EOG Master

I chatted via text with Birdie earlier today.

Gave him an NBA Summer League winner when the pointspread outcome was a certainty late in the fourth quarter.

What's the saying about turnabout?

and I gave u an easy point spread winner pre game

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

I remember when the Knicks drafted him from Oregon State in the first round. Useful here, but he blossomed later in his career. I never thought he was in his sixties...seemed more recent. RIP.