RIP Matiss Kivlenieks

Bushay

NHL Expert
I'm no fan of fireworks either. You saw one you've seen them all. Even if it's something new. So what. It's boring to me. The money they cost could have been used so much better.

I respect others, it just isn't something I'm entertained by anymore. I have dogs and it's the worst day of the year for them. They shake like they are going to die. Tried giving them CBD oil but didn't help. Just turned them into zombies. I can just imagine how many more died like this guy because the people setting them off didn't know what they were doing. Probably drunk. Years ago I lit one that went up, exploded as it was supposed to, and caught on fire. It was a little plastic guy in an army uniform. We followed it as it came down and landed on my neighbours roof and burned with a flame for 5 minutes before it went out. I could have burned my neighbor's house down if I wasn't more careful and responsive. Another time we lit a roman candle while sitting in a wheel barrel in my yard. Must have been 30 of us in my yard watching all lined up on lawn chairs. it fell over after being lit and shot Roman candles one at a time right into the group of people watching. Was funny at the time as we all laughed in drunken laughter. Could have been so much worse.

Maybe I'm getting too old for all that fun. You're priorities change as you get older.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
As a risk/reward guy, I'll pass on fireworks.

As Bushay mentioned, it's likely alcohol was a factor.

howid

EOG Dedicated
july 1st canada day, fireworks. because it was on a thursday, fireworks every day of weekend also. private variety, still went on for hours every night.

let them have their fun, don't get anybody hurt, RIP to the poor soul.

This is beyond sad, reminds me of the Jose Fernandez tragedy. These guys act like they are bulletproof and going to live forever when they are young. Once they get to their 30s and see the end of the horizon you hear they get very conservative and realize the partying and living it up come after you have gotten the money and the fame. Kivlenieks was a good candidate to be taken by the Seattle Kraken in the expansion draft and very well could have been their starting goalie in the coming season.

ouch

EOG Dedicated
This reminds me of Pelle Lindbergh; another goalie who also died doing something utterly foolish. While this kid was on his way up, Lindbergh was already established and just entering the prime of his career at 26.

Really sad.

ouch

EOG Dedicated
The kid died due to no fault of his own, a firework malfunctioned and went in his direction. It was a very tragic event with a tragic outcome that could have happened to any of those who were there.

I stand corrected. Even more of a tragedy in that regard.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
The kid died due to no fault of his own, a firework malfunctioned and went in his direction. It was a very tragic event with a tragic outcome that could have happened to any of those who were there.

So it was a deflected shot. Who gets credit for the shot on goal?

Wade

EOG Master
fireworks are a waste of time and money. people celebrating their freedom what a joke. nobody is free. government owns everything and everyone.

Valuist

EOG Master
There's something odd about this story; there's been two different versions. Both versions start with Kivlenieks in a hot tub at Legace's house in Novi. Version one was the fireworks were going off near the hot tub and there was a mad scramble to get out and in scrambling to get out, Kivlenieks slipped and fell and hit his head on the concrete and died from those injuries. The other version is that a firecracker exploded on him, killing him. Somebody isn't telling the full truth,

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Remember that Cuban pitcher kane was crying about. Initial story was total BS. He was drunk and speeding on the boat. This will be total BS.

Bushay

NHL Expert
I only read he got hit in the chest with a Roman candle type fireworks. While in the hot tub.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
All he had to do is hide under water until the explosions stopped. He blew his last save! Then he could have died by electrocution, though.

Bushay

NHL Expert
Does sound a little sketchy but some of you get your news from Fox News so that may be the cause of the confusion.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
That he was in a hot tub near fireworks means either everybody was high as fuck or they stupid as fuck. No way should fireworks be anywhere near someone in water.

Bushay

NHL Expert
Sorry, mine came from the Athletic.

The morning after his death, they expected to have a police report finalized later that day, believing that Kivlenieks died from head trauma after slipping and falling as he rushed to flee the hot tub when the fireworks mishap occurred.

But when the Oakland County, Mich., coroner’s office ruled later in the day on Monday that Kivlenieks’ death was from a “fireworks mortar blast, chest trauma,” Lt. Jason Meier said the report would be delayed.

On Tuesday, he said: “It’s going to take a while. It’s an active investigation. It could be a few days.”

Legace’s backyard has a large pool, with a five- or six-person whirlpool a few feet away. That’s where Kivlenieks was seated when he was struck in the chest by the mortar, knocking him to the ground.

“There were visible injuries to his chest … whatever a blast from a mortar would do,” said Oakland County coroner’s investigator Jeffrey Collins. Kivlenieks also suffered massive damage to his heart and lungs, the coroner’s office said. He likely died within seconds.

The Novi police provided three 911 calls from partygoers at Legace’s residence. The first was placed at 10:12 p.m. on Sunday

In the first call, a woman clearly states that there’s been a “fireworks malfunction.” In the second, which sounds like the same voice, she says “we have someone here who has been hit by a firework. Can you come immediately? He’s breathing. We have a nurse here. He’s breathing, but he’s doing not good.”

The third call, which sounds like a different voice than the first two calls, says “hit with fireworks” when asked to describe the emergency. She later adds that Kivlenieks was “getting ready to go into convulsions.”

Each of the three 911 calls have been heavily edited, specifically when the dispatcher asks for the address of the emergency. Meier declined to say if the incident occurred at Legace’s home, but other sources have confirmed that.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Out of all places for it to go it had to go to his chest. Ridiculous. So sad. Fireworks like mortars are no joke especially when you're drinking.

boston massacre

EOG Master
Does sound a little sketchy but some of you get your news from Fox News so that may be the cause of the confusion.

Fox News

Not for Pathological Liars.

Need CNN/MSNBC For That.

CNN/MSNBC Were The First To Show All Their Brainless Puppets The Evidence That Trump Colluded With Russia.

Manufactured it in The Garage.

Flakes Didn't Know The Difference.