Saratoga 2018

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Opening Day is Friday.

Saratoga will present 40 racing dates highlighted by Whitney Stakes Day (August 4) and Travers Stakes Day (August 25).

NYRA stages a little more than 5% of races run in the United States yet accounts for more than 20% of all the money bet on thoroughbred racing in the country.

The old argument asking the question, Del Mar or Saratoga, was answered many years ago.

raininthrees

Point Spread Nomad
Re: Saratoga 2018

I grind and will be involved in each and every race card. Only time of year I feel like I am at a job until I show up some weeks to take it in live. Been grinding at Belmont this month in preparation for ‘Toga, as it helps.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

TAKEOUT INFORMATION at SARATOGA

Takeout (percentage of each dollar wagered retained by racetrack)

• 15 percent – Pick 6 (non carryover pools)
• 15 percent – Pick 5
• 16 percent – Win, Place, Show
• 18.5 percent – Exacta, Quinella, Daily Double
• 24 percent – Trifecta, Superfecta, Grand Slam, Pick 3, Pick 4, Pick 6 (carryover pools)

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Massive difference between the Pick 5 takeout (15%) and the takeout rates in the Pick 3 and Pick 4 pools (24%).

Valuist

EOG Master

TAKEOUT INFORMATION at SARATOGA

Takeout (percentage of each dollar wagered retained by racetrack)

• 15 percent – Pick 6 (non carryover pools)
• 15 percent – Pick 5
• 16 percent – Win, Place, Show
• 18.5 percent – Exacta, Quinella, Daily Double
• 24 percent – Trifecta, Superfecta, Grand Slam, Pick 3, Pick 4, Pick 6 (carryover pools)

That trifecta takeout needs to be lowered. At least with a Pic 3 or 4, the takeout is spread out over several races.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

If I were a professional horseplayer, I would study the condition book cover-to-cover.

Gamblers should know it like the jock agents do.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I'd also study the numbers provided by TRAKUS.

Provided they are accurate.

rdalert447

EOG Dedicated

Cannizzo will come out firing. Barn looks ready to roll after many “good but a little short” efforts.

blueline

EOG Master

If I were a professional horseplayer, I would study the condition book cover-to-cover.

Gamblers should know it like the jock agents do.

If you're going to use the condition book then you have to pay attention to the extras..some places have 15-20 extras a day

rdalert447

EOG Dedicated

And please, please, don’t listen to the professionals that totally disregard the Steeples. I think only one or two faves won again last year. Even if using the all button on race 1, if you have any opinions on the next few races.....

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran

Race 3 on Friday:

I really think the #3 comeoncomeoncat can wire the field at a long price. He won’t be bet much cause of shitty figs, but a repeat of the 4/20 run at aqueduct will win this race imo. There’s a couple stalkers but not much speed besides him. The ML is 6/1 but I think it will go off a little higher.

Also, the 1 horse/entry in the 5th should be an automatic single given how dominant pletcher has been with odds on 2yo FTS at Saratoga.

rdalert447

EOG Dedicated

I'll be on the Fout horse in the finale. I relish the opportunity to play these steeple guys off long layoffs on the flat.

sharky99

EOG Dedicated

Been to many tracks in North America but not Saratoga, will have to try and get there during their summer meet somtime

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran

I'll be on the Fout horse in the finale. I relish the opportunity to play these steeple guys off long layoffs on the flat.

11% with a roi of -$1.48 on 90+ layoff on 84 starts
0/20 with blinkers off
0/9 first time out as new trainer

Tough to back that horse unless it’s 15/1 +

Valuist

EOG Master

Been to many tracks in North America but not Saratoga, will have to try and get there during their summer meet somtime

If you are a racing fan, it's a must visit. And set aside a few hours for a side trip to Cooperstown, which is about 100 miles west.

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran

I remember someone here mentioned Bunyaan a couple years ago... he had a horrible trip and came in 2nd, and then broke his maiden a year later?

He’s running this Monday at finger lakes... in a $5k claimer.

What a huge drop down, and I’m actually thinking about putting a claim in for him. At $5k, it’s a decent price. He won a $14k claimer aqueduct just 4 months ago.

raininthrees

Point Spread Nomad

love everyone's contribution here, as I feel obligated to offer a little inside baseball like thought.
Probably one to keep on your exacta's and other stuff.

'Toga

Race 4 #8 Eagle Pass

obviously we need to get a grip on how the turf courses are playing for the first 6-10 days and
then go from assessment and move on. Eagle Pass working well coming into this tilt, and his work
partner on a couple of those works was Grade 1 winner Catholic Boy. Have a great summer of racing.

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran

love everyone's contribution here, as I feel obligated to offer a little inside baseball like thought.

'Toga

Race 4 #8 Eagle Pass

obviously we need to get a grip on how the turf courses are playing for the first 6-10 days and
then go from assessment and move on. Eagle Pass working well coming into this tilt, and his work
partner on a couple of those works was Grade 1 winner Catholic Boy. Have a great summer of racing.

Nice. Thanks for the tip.

How are you handling the 5th race? Do you try to beat pletcher? I might add the assmussen FTS to my exotics just in case

Brayden11

EOG Dedicated

I'm ready to burn up some money today. Good luck today gentlemen, hope the East coast sharps post a few opinions in the thread.

Ray Luca

EOG Master

'Toga

Race 4 #8 Eagle Pass

Heard nothing on him so I'll give you major props if WP...

I have 3679...most likely I'll key the 3
GL

August West

Rambler

'Toga

Race 4 #8 Eagle Pass

This trainer should pop some nice priced winners this meet. The 'new' names on the scene always have a little extra value at the Spa, and this guy can train.

Good luck everybody

Valuist

EOG Master

Not getting too involved until tomorrow. I see they list Daddy is a Legend at 9/5 for the Lake George today. I will be shocked if she is over even money. She probably should be no higher than 1-1.