Sports Memorabilia Auctions

Heim

EOG Master
They have flooded Facebook with quickie auctions on every sports autograph known to man. However those letters of authenticity aren't worth the paper they're written on. When DiMaggio & Mantle were shown fake signatures they were so good they couldn't tell if it was theirs or fake....

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I lost my interest in autographs when pro wrestling villain Baron Von Raschke threw my autograph book across the arena at the Hammond Civic Center sometime in the 1970's.

I discovered Baron's long toss dislodged the cover of my autograph book once I recovered my prize possession.

I was only 10 years old at the time.

Maybe 12.

Or 14.

But definitely not older than 14.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"Image result for baron von raschke","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"373","style":"background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-image: -webkit-linear-gradient(45deg, rgb(239, 239, 239) 25%, transparent 25%, transparent 75%, rgb(239, 239, 239) 75%, rgb(239, 239, 239)), -webkit-linear-gradient(45deg, rgb(239, 239, 239) 25%, transparent 25%, transparent 75%, rgb(239, 239, 239) 75%, rgb(239, 239, 239)); background-position-x: 0px, 10px; background-position-y: 0px, 10px; background-size: 21px 21px; border-bottom-color: rgb(26, 13, 171); border-bottom-style: none; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-image-outset: 0; border-image-repeat: stretch; border-image-slice: 100%; border-image-source: none; border-image-width: 1; border-left-color: rgb(26, 13, 171); border-left-style: none; border-left-width: 0px; border-right-color: rgb(26, 13, 171); border-right-style: none; border-right-width: 0px; border-top-color: rgb(26, 13, 171); border-top-style: none; border-top-width: 0px; box-shadow: 0px 5px 35px rgba(0,0,0,0.65); margin-top: 35px;","width":"314","src":"https:\/\/vignette.wikia.nocookie.net\/wwebrady\/images\/b\/ba\/Baron_Von_Raschke.jpg\/revision\/latest?cb=20140218005426"}[/IMG2]

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Heim;n7451454 said:
They have flooded Facebook with quickie auctions on every sports autograph known to man. However those letters of authenticity aren't worth the paper they're written on. When DiMaggio & Mantle were shown fake signatures they were so good they couldn't tell if it was theirs or fake....

You are correct, the LOA is only a piece of paper in many cases. James Spence Authenticy (JSA), PSA/DNA, and Beckett are the best authenticators and the prices usually reflect it. The top auction houses use these.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I got Magic Johnson to sign a pair of copies of the very 1st LA Edition of "The National" Sports Daily paper. I paid $100 for each of the 2 signatures I got. I did it in 2004. When he signed it I took a 35MM pic of him doing so - now there is no disputing he signed it.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
winkyduck;n7452028 said:
I got Magic Johnson to sign a pair of copies of the very 1st LA Edition of "The National" Sports Daily paper. I paid $100 for each of the 2 signatures I got. I did it in 2004. When he signed it I took a 35MM pic of him doing so - now there is no disputing he signed it.

Nice thing to have. It’s too bad the autograph market took a dump, manny big names flooded the market, Magic being one. Can’t blame them, the money is out there.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
FairWarning;n7452039 said:
Nice thing to have. It’s too bad the autograph market took a dump, manny big names flooded the market, Magic being one. Can’t blame them, the money is out there.

Agree and Disagree.

Agree on big names flooding the market. But this is the very first LA Edition so it will have more value. I am also waiting for the day he dies. I have 2 of these and when he dies 1 gets sold for far more than it would sell for now

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
winkyduck;n7452083 said:
Agree and Disagree.

Agree on big names flooding the market. But this is the very first LA Edition so it will have more value. I am also waiting for the day he dies. I have 2 of these and when he dies 1 gets sold for far more than it would sell for now

Only to the right person. Players from the 60's and before, probably yes as they didn't go to as many shows/private signings. You can buy the first copy signed on ebay right now for $90. I have all three editions from that day - Magic/Jordan/Ewing.

Magic has been a very good signer since retirement, great for demand but bad for investments. There are over 650 of his signatures on ebay right now. You want tough - Clemente. Can't touch one for under a dime.