Sportsnet fires Don Cherry...What are your thoughts?

Valuist

EOG Master
What was so terrible about what he said? It's Canada so I guess they don't allow freedom of speech. The media believes in freedom of speech only when it fits their narrative. Thumbs down to Sportsnet.

E$

EOG Dedicated
I think it’s ridiculous to get fired for what he said. Having said that, I won’t miss him either.

Bushay

NHL Expert
As someone who tends to lean left more than to the right, I found out about this on Twitter and right away was curious what others were thinking and scrolled across a response from Dink and it pretty much summed up how I felt. Well said Dink.

alan

@dinkinc

an unpopular take........... I feel sorry for Don Cherry....... he is the image of what Archie Bunker would be at 85...He is not spewing hate, just a good man crossing a line he will never understand..Been like that for over 40 years.. More upset with his partner for his silence

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
I found similarities between Cherry’s firing and Sports betting and handicapping legend Jimmy the Greek’s from CBS.
Expressing opinions to the media without regard for the fact it made them appear racist.

For both, a sad ending to their careers.

boston massacre

EOG Master
Looks like a Great Canadian, who loves his Country, and UNDERSTANDS that LIVES were sacrificed to make the Country a Great Place to live.

BUT People were Offended by his Words.

And those are People that want to be able to CONTROL His Speech, because that Group of people were OFFENDED !

But the People who were OFFENDED are not people that would speak about making sacrifices, because that is not something that they

would ever think of doing.

But Controlling someone else Speech is something that interests them.

Instead of trying to control someone else speech, Learn what made the Country they enjoy living in, a GREAT Place to live in.

Bushay

NHL Expert
Here’s another tweet I just read I can also agree with.

The reason why some people are so so upset about Don Cherry is not so much because they love his commentary or him or even that they agree w him so very much.

It's because they fear that this signals the end of something for them, that they're now on shakier ground.

They are.”

Cec The Fleece

EOG Senior Member
Im bummed. Long time Canadian hockey fan from Edmonton. I find a lot of the non-playoff hockey unwatchable mostly and completely boring, but do find myself watching between periods and enjoying it. Its no secret that Coaches Corner has had way better ratings than the actual game for some time, as its superior entertainment. The panel in the 2nd intermission is a close second. Don Cherry spoke his mind and that is very refreshing(and almost obselete) in todays world. Sure some will be offended from time to time. Id rather here something real than all the politically correct BS being fed to us constantly. Politicians can lie out the side of their mouths on a daily basis with little to no consequences and we have to put up with it( I tune out). Rogers who had been cutting costs and people recently on Sportsnet, now had their perfect shot to cut the most expensive broadcaster of them all. I will miss Cherry and his segments dearly!

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
How is this any different than anything else he has said for the last almost-4-decades?

Did he go overboard? YES! Bu that is what Don Cherry is and always will be. I understand why he was let go but don't agree that it had to be done

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
I understand why he was let go but don't agree that it had to be done
Yes it had to be done.
There’s a relationship between Rogers, owners of Sportsnet and the CBC where, under contract, the CBC televises some games and always Saturday night games.

Important to note, the CBC is a political tool used by the government to an extent to promote their political agenda.

Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper cut funding to the CBC because he was a fiscal conservative.

In 2016 Justin Trudeau pledged to increase CBC funding by $400 million because saw he could use the CBC to promote diversity and secure the diversity vote for his party.

Don Cherry does not fit Trudeau’s Liberal agenda to appeal to the diverse multicultural voter population in Canada so he’s out.
Were his opinions offensive? Yes.
Did the Trudeau Liberals and their CBC diversity platform what any part of Don Cherry? Absolutely not.
This was the last straw.