THE OFFICIAL UNCLE MO, "TRIPLE CROWN THREAD". BREEDERS CUP IS THE FIRST STOP!

Since I know Mike Repole and he owns Uncle Mo, I will post anything and everything I can about the horse. This could be our 2011 Triple Crown winner. I know it is very early but Mo is the favorite as of today. The next stop is the Breeders Cup and I hope to make it.

NEW YORK -- Uncle Mo, the 1-5 favorite, rolled to a 43/4-length win over Mountain Town in the $300,000 Champagne Stakes for 2-year-olds at Belmont Park.
Unbeaten in two starts, Uncle Mo has emerged as a leading contender for the Breeders' Cup Juvenile next month at Churchill Downs. John Velazquez was aboard for trainer Todd Pletcher as Uncle Mo led all the way. The time was 1:34.51 for the one mile.
"The sky's the limit," Pletcher said. "I don't see how a horse could start a career more impressively than he has. His times have been exceptionally fast; he gets stronger as he goes along. The Breeders' Cup Juvenile would be the obvious goal."
Uncle Mo paid $2.40, $2.10 and $2.10. Mountain Town returned $4.70 and $3.70. I'm Steppin' It Up paid $5.20 to show.

steak tartar

EOG Dedicated
Re: THE OFFICIAL UNCLE MO, "TRIPLE CROWN THREAD". BREEDERS CUP IS THE FIRST STOP!

he didnt beat much..but he ran fast time.....and at least he raced his horse.....these other owners/trainers like to run every 3months it seems....so hats off to him and continued success

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated
Re: THE OFFICIAL UNCLE MO, "TRIPLE CROWN THREAD". BREEDERS CUP IS THE FIRST STOP!

It's great to get excited about a 2 year-old. Of course a mile at Belmont is a glorified sprint around 1 turn. He should handle two turns with no problems. Let him win the Breeders and stay healthy over the winter.

playersadvocate

EOG Senior Member

Everyone in his old hood follows the guy. . But the horse looks real good. Good for him. Here is his sunday card

ariz
bills
49ers
dallas
lions

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

u dont want to peek as a 2 year old..no reason-- to need to peak for a 2 year old breeders cup race ..finish a nice top 5 within 6 lengths and get ready for the real season next year..ala Afleet Alex and some others...

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

The horse looked great yesterday, no question. But let's see him actually win a race arounds two turns before we start calling him a potential Triple Crown winner. Good grief, people get so carried away with this Derby stuff. What is it, October?

In a related matter, Avello is probably listing the horse @ 20/1 to win the Derby, or something ridiculous like that. I'll post when i see the new sheet.

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

Just looked it up. The Wynn was listing Uncle Mo @ 30/1 on their Derby sheet BEFORE his win yesterday. That's right, a horse with one career start (a maiden race @ 6 furlongs) was being offered @ 30/1 to win the Derby. Seven months ahead of time.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Thanks for the info, JAM and DC.

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

Since i guess this is the 2011 Triple Crown thread, and i haven't reallly posted on EOG before (aside from a post or two before the Breeders Cup last year), let's talk about Derby futures for a minute.

Horse futures are a something i know a lot about, perhaps more than anyone in the country. I'm not one to pat myself on the back (despite being a tout), but i can say that with confidence. I even ran the Derby and Breeders Cup futures for a Strip hotel for a few years, not that it means anything in the way of credentials (frankly, it means squat).

The point i wanted to make here is that horses like Uncle Mo should be avoided at all costs in Kentucky Derby futures. It has absolutely nothing to do with talent; i have no qualms with Uncle Mo at this point in time (in fact, i like him quite a bit). Rather, it has to do with the fact that these impressive early-season stakes-types are the ones getting all the press, and as a result of that, they get offered at ridiculously underlaid prices. Such as the current 20/1 (or whatever) on Uncle Mo with 7 months until raceday.

I don't have to tell you guys, these horses fall by the wayside at an alarming rate. They get injured, they don't stretch out effectively, etc. Keep in mind, the race is a mile-and-a-quarter, so winning a sprint or a one-turn mile (no matter how impressively) doesn't mean anything.

Have i bet horses to win the Derby that had only had a sprint race or two under their belt? Sure. The difference however was that i took big odds, like 150/1 or thereabouts. And frankly, even that was pushing it in some cases. The horses you see being offered in the low double-digits (say under 50/1 or so) this time of year just aren't offering the value you need to have any chance at beating these things long-term. They just have too much to prove, in addition to the injury factor. Even horses with impressive route wins and solid pedigrees should be avoided if the price isn't acceptable. A perfect example from last year would be Take Control, who looked fantastic winning arounds two-turns in his career debut for the multiple Derby-winning trainer Bob Baffert (in January, i think). He was being offered in the 20/1 range after that race. I couldn't knock the horse (he looked as good as any at the time), but there was just too much time left to even consider taking that kind of price. And not long thereafter, Take Control was off the Derby Trail. Injured himself in a workout, if memory serves. Incidentally, just to finish off the thought on Take Control, another factor that needed to be considered with that horse was his lack of graded earnings (he had none). That can't be overlooked. You can't win the Derby unless you can enter the Derby, and some horses just can't accumulate the neccessary earnings in time (and they seem to need more and more every year now). A good recent example of a horse that received major Derby hype, but actually had a pretty slim chance of making the Derby due to earnings, would be Dunkirk. He had still zero graded earnings heading into the Florida Derby, if memory serves (same deal with Big Brown, which made a future bet on him pretty close to a Florida Derby/Kentucky Derby parlay). Keep those graded earnings in mind.

So what horses DO you want to look for? That's the big question, of course. In my opinion, the horses that make good investments in Derby futures are the up-and-coming, under-the-radar horses that start to build impressive resumes around January, February, or even March. Take Control would've fit that description if he had been offering a decent price (say 75/1 or so). A perfect recent example would be The Pamplemousse, who ran well (but still lost) in his first couple of sprint starts before really blossoming when he stretched out to two turns (December, i think). He was still available around 125/1 when he broke his maiden around two turns @ Hollywood. He went on to win the San Rafael and Sham Stakes before being scratched (as the morning-line favorite) on the morning of the Santa Anita Derby. Another good example, from last year, would be Winslow Homer. He broke his maiden going 7 furlongs at Saratoga, disappeared for a while, then went to Philly Park (where his trainer keeps a string) and won a two-turn allowance race by 10 lengths or so, looking every bit like the kind of horse who would appreciate added distance. He was still available in the 80/1 range after winning that two-turn allowance race, and went on to win the Holy Bull Stakes @ Gulfstream in very impressive fashion before hitting the sidelines with an injury (note the recurring pattern of injury with these horses, ahem).

Other times (and these are the best times), horses are set on earnings and performing well late into the Derby season, but places are sometimes lazy/ignorant and don't update their sheets. I once got a sizable bet down on Afleet Alex @ 18/1 after he won the Arkansas Derby by open lengths in fast time. You just have to keep your eyes open, and stay diligent. You never know when a small number might become a large number, without ever moving. Things are always changing.

You also have to keep an open mind. Barbaro, for example, came from some turf-stakes wins @ Calder (note the positive two-turn experience there) before switching to dirt for the Holy Bull Stakes around February. The closest i've ever come to making a big score on the Derby was a ticket on Peace Rules @ 200/1, another former turf horse who switched to dirt (he had the lead in the stretch before tiring to third, the year that Funny Cide won). Big Brown debuted on turf (around two turns) as a 2yo @ Saratoga, then won an off-the-turf allowance race in his 3yo debut before taking the Florida Derby. You just never know where these horses might come from.

If a horse like Uncle Mo or Boys at Tosconova wins the Derby, they win. More power to them. Nothing against those horses, i like them, but you're not gonna make any money on them. You're not going to win anyway, most likely, because identifying the Derby winner early is like finding a needle in a haystack (it's hard enough on raceday, as we all know). That's why you need big prices, because you're a huge underdog to ever cash the ticket. The way to put yourself in a good spot on Derby Day (assuming your horses make it that far) is to take some talented, late-blooming types at some big numbers. Demand value, guys.

I have some further thoughts, but that's enough for now. I'm sure we'll talk about it in the coming months.

BROOKLYN KID

EOG Enthusiast

Dscreet cat no discredit to your info but All I think JAM is trying to say is
Is he is rooting for his friends horse hoping he goes to breeders cup and Kentucky derby with a chance that JAM might be there to witness something special.
I don't think he cares about winning any future bet.

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

I never said otherwise. It's just that I mentioned Derby futures earlier in the thread, and wanted to share some opinions about them.

There is no question that Todd Pletcher is one of the best trainers out there. Pletcher has declared "Mo" his best 2 year old. Does this mean anything? Absolutely.

Members of EOG can take this information and use it, or simply discard it. We all know about betting futures, that is the 101 rule of wagering.

Let me explain something to mister, "Discreet Cat". I get plenty of inside information about plenty of horses. I share the information because I am not selfish and I do not care about chipping a few bucks off the prices. Furthermore in regards to your write up on futures, I whacked the offshore with Big Brown for 9k, this was all because I found out that Brown was being needled with steroids before the public got the info. I posted this information all over the forums. Some people made touchdowns off this info.

Again, I am here for EOG and the players. Whenever I can contribute, I will.

Ray Luca

EOG Master

A DA's wet dream :LMAO

The first leg of the triple crown is 7 months away. Alot can happen before then so don't mush the hopes of the horse JM. How many outstanding 2 year olds actually do well in the triple crown? You know trainers key their big horses towards the triple crown and the derby averaging 20 starters is a graveyard for your horse if he gets caught out in the rightfield position,lol. Yes its exciting for you to know an owner of a great horse but a triple crown winner? Asking a little to much I think. I heard there is a 2 year old horse overseas that is suppose to be a monster, need to find out who owns him and his name. BUT good luck on your 1/5 price you get on this horse throughout his campaign towards May.

The first leg of the triple crown is 7 months away. Alot can happen before then so don't mush the hopes of the horse JM. How many outstanding 2 year olds actually do well in the triple crown? You know trainers key their big horses towards the triple crown and the derby averaging 20 starters is a graveyard for your horse if he gets caught out in the rightfield position,lol. Yes its exciting for you to know an owner of a great horse but a triple crown winner? Asking a little to much I think. I heard there is a 2 year old horse overseas that is suppose to be a monster, need to find out who owns him and his name. BUT good luck on your 1/5 price you get on this horse throughout his campaign towards May.

William Lee, William Lee, are you kidding me with this blowjob response? Mush the hopes of the horse? William I know you own horses, so don't hate brother. I never mentioned betting any 1 to 5 odds, so what kinda response is this? Let me go on the offensive with you here a little, you gave me loser after loser. You mentioned how your horses were in on the race? Common Bro, they all tanked. What did you really know? Think about this. These trainers are bending you over backwards and burying all 9 inches in your ass. Don't ever tell me I am mushing someones horse.

Enjoy your day.12io4j2w90

lol, yes I own horses and do OK financially with them. If you think you have a triple crown horse, well you might and might not. Right now he looks good. Lets see when he meets the BIG boys going 2 turns. I seen many 2 year olds PEEK early then shit the bed before May. Its good to tout a persons horse you might know, thats cool. He is a contender for the triple crown and I wish you luck pal. Horse game is the hardest game to be a consistent winner at capping. Just hope he is a monster and not peeking to early JM.

lol, yes I own horses and do OK financially with them. If you think you have a triple crown horse, well you might and might not. Right now he looks good. Lets see when he meets the BIG boys going 2 turns. I seen many 2 year olds PEEK early then shit the bed before May. Its good to tout a persons horse you might know, thats cool. He is a contender for the triple crown and I wish you luck pal. Horse game is the hardest game to be a consistent winner at capping. Just hope he is a monster and not peeking to early JM.

A much better response. I am rooting here, this guy is from my neighborhood.

August West

Rambler

Great little story told by Repole in the Belmont Trustees room after the Champagne. From Bloodhorse:

Most of Repole's quips are for effect, and he's darn good at it. The audience loves him. And no can tell a story like Repole. He proved that by beginning his toast with his purchase of <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:pLACE w:st="on"><ST1:CITY w:st="on">Uncle</ST1:CITY> <ST1:STATE w:st="on">Mo.</ST1:STATE></ST1:pLACE>
<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>
“I want to thank (bloodstock agent) Jim Crupi and (racing manager) Jimmy Martin. Last year, they bought me an Indian Charlie at the sale who cost me $200,000 and is now in a retirement home. So, when they called me on this Indian Charlie colt last September, I wasn’t interested at all. And then, thank God, Jimmy grabbed the phone from Jim and said, ‘Mike, you have to have this horse.’
<O:p></O:p>
“I said, ‘Put Jim back on the phone.’ I told him, ‘Go up to $200,000.’ Jim knows specifically, if he gets me on the phone while a horse is in the ring, he goes to $200,000 and not a penny more. So, then Jim calls me from the sale and says the horse is in the ring at $200,000 and it looks like we’re gonna get him. I’m going, ‘Please, somebody bid more.’ Then someone bids $210,000. I’m about to say, ‘That’s it, I’m out of it,’ when Jim says, ‘Let’s hit him one more time.’ To be honest with you, I thought he meant Crupi. I said, ‘Go ahead and hit him, because he cost me $200,000 last year. At the end of the day, we went to $220,000 and got him, and I swear to God on my life, if the horse had gone up to $220,000 and 10 cents, somebody else would have him. So I want to thank those two guys.

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

Great little story told by Repole in the Belmont Trustees room after the Champagne. From Bloodhorse:

Most of Repole's quips are for effect, and he's darn good at it. The audience loves him. And no can tell a story like Repole. He proved that by beginning his toast with his purchase of <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:pLACE w:st="on"><ST1:CITY w:st="on">Uncle</ST1:CITY> <ST1:STATE w:st="on">Mo.</ST1:STATE></ST1:pLACE>
<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>
?I want to thank (bloodstock agent) Jim Crupi and (racing manager) Jimmy Martin. Last year, they bought me an Indian Charlie at the sale who cost me $200,000 and is now in a retirement home. So, when they called me on this Indian Charlie colt last September, I wasn?t interested at all. And then, thank God, Jimmy grabbed the phone from Jim and said, ?Mike, you have to have this horse.?
<O:p></O:p>
?I said, ?Put Jim back on the phone.? I told him, ?Go up to $200,000.? Jim knows specifically, if he gets me on the phone while a horse is in the ring, he goes to $200,000 and not a penny more. So, then Jim calls me from the sale and says the horse is in the ring at $200,000 and it looks like we?re gonna get him. I?m going, ?Please, somebody bid more.? Then someone bids $210,000. I?m about to say, ?That?s it, I?m out of it,? when Jim says, ?Let?s hit him one more time.? To be honest with you, I thought he meant Crupi. I said, ?Go ahead and hit him, because he cost me $200,000 last year. At the end of the day, we went to $220,000 and got him, and I swear to God on my life, if the horse had gone up to $220,000 and 10 cents, somebody else would have him. So I want to thank those two guys.

This is the same guy that turned down $10 milllion for the horse after a maiden victory?

BROOKLYN KID

EOG Enthusiast

For what it is worth i read before uncle mo even ran Todd Pletcher had already won 7 -2yo races at the saratoga meet and 2 stakes and stated the best 2yo he has had in a long time has not run yet.That was UNCLE MO!!!

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

Classic :LMAO:LMAO

well u had an overlay until that late injury..in derby pool 3 you could have even come close to a guaranteed a profit playing other horses and holding that bigger Q Road odds future ticket from march as suggested ..so id say what are you laughing about that was a solid play?

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

The only real point i was trying to make is that these things often go awry. Quality Road, for instance, had already completed his final prep race when he was declared from the Derby. So had Eskendereya and I Want Revenge, for that matter. That's 3 potential post-time favorites just in the last two years.

With Uncle Mo, we're talking about a 2yo horse that hasn't even ATTEMPTED two turns yet (let alone won around two turns). And he has a 1-in-20 chance of winning the 1 1/4-mile Kentucky Derby, which by the way, is still 7 months away??? Umm, no. I don't think so.

Realistic odds on Uncle Mo at this point? I don't know, 100/1 maybe? Somewhere around there.

PS - I do consider him the current favorite. Other horses would be higher than 100/1.

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

I know he's rich, but the above quotes from Repole didn't sound like they were coming from a "money is no object" type of guy. It doesn't really matter either way. I hope JAM gets to party it up at the Derby (or at least this year's Breeders Cup).

Ray Luca

EOG Master

DC's reply (#9) is spot on. It is a must read for everyone betting horse futures. Read it again and again...

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

DRF Press needs to contact "The Cat." The man has a book in him.

well u had an overlay until that late injury..in derby pool 3 you could have even come close to a guaranteed a profit playing other horses and holding that bigger Q Road odds future ticket from march as suggested ..so id say what are you laughing about that was a solid play?

Luca is just a jealous fool. He buried EOG with all his losers at Saratoga.

I know he's rich, but the above quotes from Repole didn't sound like they were coming from a "money is no object" type of guy. It doesn't really matter either way. I hope JAM gets to party it up at the Derby (or at least this year's Breeders Cup).

This aint happening DC. More to report.......

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

In a related matter, Avello is probably listing the horse @ 20/1 to win the Derby, or something ridiculous like that. I'll post when i see the new sheet.

The new Wynn sheet is out. Uncle Mo is now listed @ 20/1.

playersadvocate

EOG Senior Member

20 to 1 is terrible. Pletcher pounds these horses with steroids.

Trainers and Owners who drug these horses should be thrown in jail. It is as bad as Vick was doing fighting dogs.

Horrible how these poor animals are treated to make a buck.

Ray Luca

EOG Master

Luca is just a jealous fool. He buried EOG with all his losers at Saratoga.

Since you "know" Repole and you will "post anything and everything I can about the horse" and get "inside information" why do you bad mouth his trainer?

And you once mentioned a horse contest between you and i but you wanted to play for some small amount. I'll tell you what mouth, you can name the contest and you can name the amount, it must be posted up though and I'll match it by posting up double, giving you 2-1 odds. And you can name the contest format and I'll agree. Since i'm traveling the next month, anything that takes place must begin after Thanksgiving. Ball is in your court Rat.....

Since you "know" Repole and you will "post anything and everything I can about the horse" and get "inside information" why do you bad mouth his trainer?

And you once mentioned a horse contest between you and i but you wanted to play for some small amount. I'll tell you what mouth, you can name the contest and you can name the amount, it must be posted up though and I'll match it by posting up double, giving you 2-1 odds. And you can name the contest format and I'll agree. Since i'm traveling the next month, anything that takes place must begin after Thanksgiving. Ball is in your court Rat.....

Rat? Lol. You are some kinda fool Luca. Anytime you want to post up, just drive 2 miles, I am there waiting. You know where I am. You want to give me 2 to 1? You are clueless

You were minus 148 units at Saratoga, that is disastrous. Common pal. I went the whole Belmont/Saratoga season in the plus.

As far as Pletcher goes, 'it is what it is" he is a juicer no matter if he trained my horse or Repoles horse. Rudy Rodriguez would be my trainer of choice, why? He has a designer steroid that cannot be detected.( Feds just hit his barn again 2 weeks ago. Would I have him train my horse? Sure.... Repole wants a Kentucky Derby winner at any cost, so he grabbed Pletcher.

As far as knowing Repole, I do. Big deal. I know him, and took winners circle pictures with him before. Does it mean anything? I will let you finish this off Mr. Luca.

I thought better of you JAM. But to say on an open forum a trainer has a DESIGNER STEROID that can't be detected,lol, come on. If you really think thats true then maybe someone can sell you the George Washington Bridge at a price.

Ray Luca

EOG Master

Rat? Lol. You are some kinda fool Luca. Anytime you want to post up, just drive 2 miles, I am there waiting. You know where I am. You want to give me 2 to 1? You are clueless

You were minus 148 units at Saratoga, that is disastrous. Common pal. I went the whole Belmont/Saratoga season in the plus.

As far as Pletcher goes, 'it is what it is" he is a juicer no matter if he trained my horse or Repoles horse. Rudy Rodriguez would be my trainer of choice, why? He has a designer steroid that cannot be detected.( Feds just hit his barn again 2 weeks ago. Would I have him train my horse? Sure.... Repole wants a Kentucky Derby winner at any cost, so he grabbed Pletcher.

As far as knowing Repole, I do. Big deal. I know him, and took winners circle pictures with him before. Does it mean anything? I will let you finish this off Mr. Luca.

Its finished. You did not accept the 2-1 offer AND you could have designed the contest....

playersadvocate

EOG Senior Member

I thought better of you JAM. But to say on an open forum a trainer has a DESIGNER STEROID that can't be detected,lol, come on. If you really think thats true then maybe someone can sell you the George Washington Bridge at a price.

Exactly my thought. Knowing all the trash that comes out of that neighborhood I can understand that kind of talk. One bad egg after another. All wannabe mobsters who are all broke(except for Mike) they all hop on his bandwagon until they do something real stupid and get kicked off the train. I know Mike would not be pleased with what "a friend" is posting on an open forum, true or not. This JAM must of smoked a lot of dust or something to continue on with his idiotic posts.