THE OFFICIAL UNCLE MO, "TRIPLE CROWN THREAD". BREEDERS CUP IS THE FIRST STOP!

Re: THE OFFICIAL UNCLE MO, "TRIPLE CROWN THREAD". BREEDERS CUP IS THE FIRST STOP!

<TABLE id=maincontent cellSpacing=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=leftcolumn><TABLE id=blogheader><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD class=bloginfo>Talking Horses

National and local horse racing news
By Tim Wilkin
</TD><TD class=setter></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Uncle Mo might really be something special

October 12, 2010 at 4:26 pm by Tim Wilkin
So, do you think trainer Todd Pletcher has something in that star-studded barn of his?
Oh, we know about Quality Road and Life At Ten and Malibu Prayer. But, the four legged creature that has the Belmont backstretch all abuzz is a 2-year-old colt named Uncle Mo.
On Saturday, Uncle Mo (named after that great sports word momentum) ran away and hid from five others in the Grade I Champagne at Belmont Park. Uncle Mo won by 4 3/4 lengths and covered the mile in a quick 1:34.51.
http://blog.timesunion.com/horseracing/files/2010/10/uncle-mo.jpg
Uncle Mo and jockey John Velazquez win the Grade I Champagne at Belmont on Oct. 9. (Photo courtesy of New York Racing Association)

This was just the second start for the son of Indian Charlie. He demolished a six furlong maiden field by 14 1/2 lengths at Saratoga on Travers Day. Pletcher, who has had many a good-looking juvenile colt in his barn over the years. This one has him gushing and Pletcher doesn’t gush all that much.
“Most of our 2-year-olds came out in April or May or June or July,” Pletcher said Tuesday by cellphone from New York. “This horse came to us a little later and he wowed us in the mornings and then he did something extra special in his maiden race. He took a big step forward in a Grade I and put on a display like that …”
The next stop on Uncle Mo’s schedule is the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile at Churchill Downs on Nov. 6. The colt, who cost owner Mike Repole $220,000, will remain at Belmont until shipping to Louisville on Oct. 26.
After winning his first two starts by a combined 19 1/4 lengths, you might think the horse can’t possibly get any better. Perhaps he can.
“The scary thing,” Pletcher said, “is that I think he is still learning. He has an enormous amount of natural ability and seems to do things almost effortlessly. We haven’t seen something like this in awhile. You always hold your breath, but, so far, he looks great.”
Pletcher had the horse everyone thought was the best 3-year-old of his generation this past spring in Eskendereya. He never made it to the starting gate at Churchill Downs after soft tissue damage was found in his left front let a week before the race.
However, when you have a horse like Uncle Mo, it’s nearly impossible not to think about the future.
“You know, Mike (Repole) and I talked a little bit about that,” Pletcher said. “There is a race in May at Churchill Downs that everyone thinks about. I know you can’t take anything for granted, especially something that is going to happen in six months. After his maiden win, we focused on the Champagne. Now, we’ll start thinking about the Breeders’ Cup.”
Uncle Mo, who went off as the 1-5 favorite in the Champagne, will be the likely favorite in the Juvenile. He’ll be running against the likes of the Rick Dutrow-trained Boys at Tosconova, who won the Hopeful at Saratoga on Labor Day.
<!-- AddThis Button BEGIN --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>//<!--var addthis_product = 'wpp-250';var addthis_append_data = 'false';var addthis_language = 'en';var addthis_options = 'email, favorites, digg, delicious, myspace, google, facebook, reddit, live, more';//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/250/addthis_widget.js#username=wp-4c65c33d1ee435f2"></SCRIPT>
<!-- AddThis Button END -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Apple

Banned
Re: THE OFFICIAL UNCLE MO, "TRIPLE CROWN THREAD". BREEDERS CUP IS THE FIRST STOP!

Uncle Mo is a freak!! How did I miss this thread???

AWESOME peformance today, going to be fun to see this horse run next year.. Not sure if 10 furlongs is his thing but this horse has so much raw talent..

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

The horse looked fantastic. Again. Thanks to the M for making him a dog vs. Boys at Tosconova.

PS - how did that exacta pay 17 bucks?

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

THREE WORDS

SUPERSTAR!!!!!

I had a 100$ tri 7-2-6...Mother fff'eeerrrr

I cannot believe that price either...Stone cold exacta....

The SHEET players had a great weekend. A great weekend....

The horse is halfway home to the Derby, plus he proved himself at Churchill.

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

The horse is halfway home to the Derby, plus he proved himself at Churchill.

LOL. Not quite, JAM. He does look exceptionally tough right now though. If you wanted to nit-pick, I guess you could say that he's one-dimensional. He passed the two-turn test with flying colors though. And like you said, it helps to have a big effort @ Churchill (in front of a Derby-type crowd, no less).

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

A lot can happen in 6 months...seen it too many times....

Good luck with your horse JAM....

Pletcher ?????? He had 2 cripples run on Breeders Cup day, Quality Road and Life at Ten.

Pletcher?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Uncle Mo may have been the day's most impressive winner, Goldikova and Blame included.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Just A Man, take a deep breath. Collective wisdom is about keeping your ego in check. Good call with Uncle Mo. Great thread title.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

i think uncle Mo ran the fastest or tied fastest Beyer rating ever in that race. That was true young greatness and was the days top eye catching stunner...the most exciting overall race was Blame beating Zenyetta as that is now race of the century and will be immortal in the history books forever...but a few other classics have been much faster with classier horses overall...the most overlooked impressive feat was the 3rd straight win by Goldakova and that power move form such a small horse gliding over that surface was incredible.

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

Interesting Pletcher/Repole entry at Aqueduct tomorrow. It's a first-time starter (3yo filly) named Espresso Martini, who shared a best-of-32 bullet on Dec 19 with an unraced barnmate named Falbala. Apparently she showed a little sometyhing at the March Ocala sale as well, breezing a furlong in 10.2 seconds, one tick off the show's best.

Any further info on this one, Friend-of-Repole?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Paging Just A Man...

Oh, by the way, I loved Trevor Denman's description of Uncle Mo when the two-year-old was bounding clear in midstretch of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile. Denman described Uncle Mo as using "big leaping strides."

Vivaldi

EOG Addicted

His first two prep races will be five-horse fields. I wouldn't take anything from those races. The twenty-horse Kentucky Derby field is a different story.

It is way too early to talk Triple Crown. Too much can happen between now and the first Saturday in May.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

It is way too early to talk Triple Crown. Too much can happen between now and the first Saturday in May.

It's always a tribute to Secretariat when someone mentions Triple Crown...just really tough to do....

Ray Luca

EOG Master

His first two prep races will be five-horse fields. I wouldn't take anything from those races. The twenty-horse Kentucky Derby field is a different story.

Mo great two year old no doubt. But he has not grown much in size since breeders cup. Question is, will the late bloomers catch up or even pass him?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I love Mike Repole, he's good for the game, he's got a bunch of passion and he's a funny guy, i'll root for him to do well.

On that note, nothing personal towards Mike, but i'm just not sold on Uncle Mo as a horse who will stay sound for the long triple crown grind. He will fall apart when the competition gets tougher. I'm not a fan of his stride and how he's built, i will be beating him at some point. By going into this soft spot, he will win again, probably by open lengths. I think that Uncle Mo's downfall will be when he gets into a dogfight. I think the connections realize he's not 'built to last' and they want to keep him away from that big stretch duel before the Derby. Get him into the Derby with the least amount of stress and try to get lucky. I don't think they want to stress the horse too much because they know he won't stay sound at this level.

I hope i'm wrong and he wins the TC and puts racing back on the map. I hope he's a superhorse. But, i'm seldom wrong about things like this......maybe that's why i can post at 3am while other people are sleeping getting ready for work the next day.

:+textinb3

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

With only two preps before the 1 1/4-mile Derby, i'm not sure how bright it is to be dropping the horse back to one turn.

On the other hand, it will be his first start in about 4 months, so i guess it makes some sense in that respect. And i guess it would be 1 mile, 1 1/8 miles, 1 1/4 miles in consecutive order, so you could argue that it's a natural progression for him.

I still think you'd want to give him as much two-turn experience as possible before the Derby though, especially considering how lightly-raced he is.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

With only two preps before the 1 1/4-mile Derby, i'm not sure how bright it is to be dropping the horse back to one turn.

On the other hand, it will be his first start in about 4 months, so i guess it makes some sense in that respect. And i guess it would be 1 mile, 1 1/8 miles, 1 1/4 miles in consecutive order, so you could argue that it's a natural progression for him.

I still think you'd want to give him as much two-turn experience as possible before the Derby though, especially considering how lightly-raced he is.

This is all true. I think Mo's problem is that he's really been coddled trip-wise. He's either been on the front end opening up, or he's been sitting the stalking trip on the outside of the frontrunner. He's never been bottled up, had dirt kicked on him (for the most part) and he's never really had to fight all the way down the lane with a good horse. I'm extremely leery of annointing horses as superhorses until they overcome some adversity. Mo is extremely fast and talented, but his talent is his speed, we haven't seen him be put in a position where he has to really 'work hard' to get the W.

Its quite possible he can work hard and overcome adversity and crush em anyway, but for me, to bet a horse who's going to be a 1-5 shot until further notice, i'd like to see more.

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

Just an FYI, Stay Thirsty won the Gotham Stakes today. That's noteworthy because Stay Thirsty had worked heads-up with Uncle Mo in 3 of his last 4 drills. Good sign for all you Uncle Mo supporters out there.

Checking to see where Mo stands......

Repole loves Stay Thirsty. Does anyone know why? If you know Repole, you would know why he is rooting for Stay Thirsty.

Anyone want to take a shot?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Checking to see where Mo stands......

Repole loves Stay Thirsty. Does anyone know why? If you know Repole, you would know why he is rooting for Stay Thirsty.

Anyone want to take a shot?

One word: Vitamin water.

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

Because he's The Most Interesting Man Alive?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

The owners of Uncle Mo are infected with Derby Fever, an incurable disease sure to cause heartbreak.

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

Yeah. My favorite quote in the article is when they say he's perfectly capable of training for the Derby WHILE RECEIVING TREATMENT. If this weren't the Derby, i'm guessing he'd be getting some R-and-R right about now. Poor guy.