The Right-Wing Talk-Radio Flameout

tank

EOG Dedicated
<dl><dd> http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-05-12/rush-limbaugh-and-right-wing-talk-radio-flame-out-as-listeners-tune-to-independents/#</dd></dl>
Ratings for Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and other hyperpartisans are declining as listeners seek honest talk from hosts like Michael Smerconish over angry rants. A more civil conversation will add value to our political debate, writes John Avlon.
There?s new evidence to suggest a demand for something different than hyper-partisanship in the world of talk radio and political media.
It?s not just the sunset of the Glenn Beck Show on Fox or the dispatch of Keith Olbermann from MSNBC to CurrentTV. It?s the shuttering of a pioneering conservative radio station and data showing the demographic decline of Rush Limbaugh.

In contrast, growing numbers of listeners are tuning in to independent voices who can be honest brokers in debates and don?t just angrily parrot talking points.
In February, I wrote a column asking whether right wing talk radio was dying and ruffled some feathers in that flock. A more accurate means of measuring listeners showed that conservative talkers? ratings had either declined or flatlined in the heat of the 2010 election, while the world-journalism focus of the John Batchelor Show had seen a decided ratings climb. Now, a look at radical centrist Michael Smerconish?s national ratings growth since the start of the year provides more evidence of this emerging market.
First, here?s a snapshot that puts the shift in perspective: Just days after the 2010 election, the nation?s first all-conservative talk radio station, KVI in Seattle, switched back to a classic-rock format after 17 years. Its innovation had become media saturation?and music became an appealing alternative to the drone of a dozen Rush Limbaugh imitators.
Limbaugh can sell bedpans and resentment forever. But the demographic trend is not his friend.​
Rush Limbaugh (L) Glenn Beck (Photo from L to R: Ethan Miller / Getty Images; Alex Brandon / AP Photos)
Rush is a giant in his field, reaching more listeners than anyone in political talk, but even he has seen erosion in his numbers. Analysis of industry data shows that in market after market, Rush?s ranking has declined decisively over the past five years among advertisers? coveted 25-54 age group. For example, in Charlotte, North Carolina, Rush fell from sixth to 12th between 2005 and 2010. In Portland, Oregon, he fell from fourth to eighth. In San Francisco, he?s seen a similar decline. Among listeners 65 and older, Rush remains No. 1. He can sell bedpans and resentment forever. But the demographic trend is not his friend.
It?s not that ?the angry white guy conservative political talk format??as consultant and former Clear Channel talk radio programming director Gabe Hobbs calls it?is over. It?s just got little room to grow, going forward.
?Rush has been around for 23 years. They?re not necessarily making new Ditto-heads. You have to fish where the fish are,? says Hobbs, who helped launch the radio career of Glenn Beck, among others. ?We?re singing to this choir, that?s great, they?re worth a lot of money and they do a lot of wonderful things, but boy, there?s a lot over here we could do.?
?This civil and smart approach?like [John] Batchelor and Michael Smerconish and some other shows?to me is kind of a ?duh,? '' adds Hobbs, indicating that it should have been obvious long ago. ?The numbers that NPR is drawing clearly portends to something. I?ve seen it myself in research. It?s the tone; it?s the approach. Some people don?t want to be engaged at that loud, angry level?that hard right or left ideological approach where it?s my way or the highway.?
A Republican turned Independent who supported President Obama in 2008, Smerconish is a pioneer, putting himself out in the world of daytime political talk radio as a radical centrist, surrounded by the old hyper-partisan voices. He is currently an island, but he is far from alone, reflecting the 41 percent of American voters who now identify as Independent but are seriously underrepresented in our political and media debates.
This is no mushy middle. Smerconish memorably described his policy profile in The Washington Post as ?someone who supports harsh interrogation, thinks we should be out of Iraq but in Pakistan, doesn't care much if two guys hook up, and believes we should legalize pot and prostitution.? (Note the Pakistan comment?Smerconish has been beating that drum long before most Americans had heard of Abbottabad.)
?I choose subjects and offer my opinions without regard to any party's talking points,? Smirconish says. ?I have plenty of opinions, but they do not fit neatly into those faux, talk- and cable-created ideological boxes. And it matters not to me whether the audience at the other end is a conservative, liberal or independent?I don't check registration cards."

Re: The Right-Wing Talk-Radio Flameout

Makes sense.

I stopped listening when they started mocking 'birthers' without providing any substantive rebuttals. I suspect many American patriots feel the same.

tank

EOG Dedicated

Makes sense.

I stopped listening when they started mocking 'birthers' without providing any substantive rebuttals. I suspect many American patriots feel the same.
I am sure you and the other idiots really hurt them.

markinsac

EOG Dedicated

While the numbers are going down, there still seems to be a vast majority of people who want their news and talk with a slant. Take cable news: Righty Fox is the big leader, Lefty MSNBC is second place while more Centrist CNN is way back. SHAME ON YOU RIGHTY AND LEFTIES!