the shootout in the nhl is a complete crapshoot

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Re: the shootout in the nhl is a complete crapshoot

I like shootouts in both hockey and soccer.

I also like the queer rules of college football overtime.

Exciting stuff for the casual fan.

all close score games are crapshoots...it's not like you're going to find the better team.

...whats the point?

munson15

I want winners...

I HATE the shootout AND the college OT rules. Gimmicks and bullshit for the casual fan I'll never abide.

steak tartar

EOG Dedicated

So you guys love coin flips that much, huh? College OT > NFL OT.

you dont play one game then a completely different one to decide who wins in case you are tied

i.e. shootouts( would be like a freethrow contest to decide an nba OT) and 20 yard scrimmages to decide a football game played on a 100 yard field

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

you dont play one game then a completely different one to decide who wins in case you are tied

i.e. shootouts( would be like a freethrow contest to decide an nba OT) and 20 yard scrimmages to decide a football game played on a 100 yard field

The man gets it

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

Completely different game? Come on.

Obviously basketball and baseball OT rules are better, but I think NFL's OT rules are the worst of any sport...

fifty cint

EOG Dedicated

The shoot-out is bull-sh**...just play ot.These are probably the same people who want fighting eliminated from hockey

munson15

I want winners...

+1. The NFL's version could be improved, I've talked about it many times here, but the college way is lunacy, and hockey is worse. WTF is so terrible about an old-fashioned tie? Sometimes the game is that evenly played and it's a preferable result to awarding a team the win based on some exercise that resembles a practice session.

dinkenson

EOG Dedicated

at least have a 3-2-1-0 point system....if the shootout was so good they would use it in the playoffs...rewarding the casual fan and annoying the true fan is a cop out

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Completely different game? Come on.

Obviously basketball and baseball OT rules are better, but I think NFL's OT rules are the worst of any sport...

Not positive, but pretty sure CFB coin toss winner wins more often than NFL coin flip winner.

tripp

EOG Master

college football ot is the worst rule in sports maybe.

complete joke having both teams start at the f'in 25. i prefer nfl rules, but even if you want to make it so both teams get a possession, make them start from their OWN 25. don't put them in fg range to start with that's embarrassing

munson15

I want winners...

college football ot is the worst rule in sports maybe.

complete joke having both teams start at the f'in 25. i prefer nfl rules, but even if you want to make it so both teams get a possession, make them start from their OWN 25. don't put them in fg range to start with that's embarrassing
Not sure it hasn't happened already, but I'm waiting for the offensively challenged team with a Janikowski-type FG kicker to simply boot the game-winner on first down from the 25 to mitigate the 'risk' in running any actual plays from scrimmage. Hey, why not, you're already in FG range?

WVU

EOG Master

anyone play softball? Here we use the Kansas City tiebreaker rule:

If tied after 1 hour and/or 7 innings of play the Kansas City Tiebreaker rule is in effect. For the tiebreaker inning, the last batter starts on second and each batter gets only one pitch. He either gets a strikeout (foul, miss, called strike), a walk (ball) or a hit. One season we had two KC tiebreakers. The first we lost by 10 runs and the second we won by 12 runs. Kinda weird.

bernardoincr

EOG Dedicated

how come in playoffs hockey goes to sudden death? if shootout is so beloved by players, management and fans, why change? i vote for sudden death in hockey and soccer.

tripp

EOG Master

how come in playoffs hockey goes to sudden death? if shootout is so beloved by players, management and fans, why change? i vote for sudden death in hockey and soccer.

i think the rules are great for hockey.

cant do sudden death in reg season because sometimes those games last 3 or 4 ots without a goal. Old rule was 5 minutes of 4 on 4 and if no goal the game is simply a tie. Now they just added a shootout after the 5 mins of 4 on 4 to break the tie. I see no issue with it and no reason to change playoff rules.

The only thing i would change about hockey rules is for them to go to the 3 pt system. 3 points for regulation win, 2 pts for ot/so win, 1 pt for ot/so loss, 0 pts for loss in regulation. Silly to award 3 pts in some games and just 2 in others

As bettors, you should hate the OT, shootout, whatever...

...it bends the game, fvcks up your result, and most of the time ruins your advantage.

No more OTs, go back to ties.