Thirty personal favorites of the Top 50

railbird

EOG Master
<TABLE class=tborder id=post4546706 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_4546706 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #fdde82 1px solid">21. Dec 1989 Mirage Hotel Sugar Ray Leonard defeats Roberto Duran in the rubber match
22. Aug 1988 Manhattan Beach CC Martina Navratilova beat Chris Evert in 3 sets
23. October 1987 Jack Clark goes deep off of Niedenfuerer at Chavez Ravine
24. July 1986 Sinjin Smith and Randy Stoklos beat Hovy-Dodd at the Manhattan Beach Jose Cuervo Open
25. Dec 1984 Chuck Long and the Iowa Hawkeyes beat Texas in the 1st ever Freedom bowl
26. Mar 1998 Rick Van Horn hits back to back buzzer beaters to win WAc tournamnet for the Utah Utes
27. Aug 1973 Coach Tom Fears leads the California Sun in a win over the Jacksonville Sharks at the Big A
28. July 1978 Rick Miller drops a shoe string catch to ruin a no hitter for Nolan Ryan
29. 1995 Anaheim Bullfrogs capture the World Championship of Rollerhockey at the Pond of Anaheim
30. Nov 1977 Greg Steinke hits the crossbar in double overtime as the Loyola Cubs beat the FountainValley Barons in the 2nd round of the CIF playoffs
31. Jan 1994 at the Thunderdome in Santa Barbra JR Rider shoots an airball from 20 feet at the buzzer in a 1 pt loss despite being tripled team and having 2 diffrent teammates open for layups.
32. July 1989 Allstar game Bo Jackson hits a ball 473 feet into the OrangeCounty night
33. September 1981 Jack Murphy stadium, Ron Oester hits a triple into the rightfield corner to pull the Reds within 2 of the Dodgers with 6 to play
34. September 1992 Freshman Marshall Faulk scores 4 tds in a 52-52 tie vs BYU
35. Mar 1988 Boris Becker beats Andre Agassi 6-4 in the 3rd set of the Indian Wells final
36. Aug 1996 Micheal Johnson wins the Gold medal in the 200 M Atlanta,Ga
37. July 1994 Baggio and Renaldo held scoreless at the Rosebowl. Brazil beats Itlay on Pks
38. Mar 1995 Obannon bros beat Nolan Richardson at the battle in Seattle
39. Sep 1999 Oscar Delahoya gets robbed by the judges at Mandalay Bay vs Tito
40. Jan 1987 Scotty Brooks makes 12 3 pointers in a 114-103 loss to Jarvis Basnight and the Rebels
41. Nov 1974 Rutherford fumbles on the 2 yd line to secure a 28-24 win for the Barons as they beat the Chargers for the 1st time in school history
42. Mar 2000 Mark Martin goes back to back at LasVegas motorspeed way
43. Aug 2001 Pete Sampras beats Andre Agassi in straight sets to win the Mercedes Cup at UCLA
44. Sept 1982 CS Fullerton stuns Fresno State 21-17 and ruins CoachSweenys hope for the National Title
45. Oct 1991 Billy Joe Hobert leads the Washington Huskies to a 31-17 win over Russell White and the unbeaten GoldenBears.
46. Feb 1990 Monica Seles defeats Martina Navratilova at Bonos raquetclub in Palm SPrings final
47. June 1997 Colin Montgomrie blows a chance at his first major as Ernie Els wins the US open at Congressional CC in Bethesda,Md on a hot humid day.
48. July 1994 Italy defeats Mexico in front of a soldout crowd at RFK stadium
49. Jan 1998 Referees stop the game with 2 seconds left and give Michigan a share of the National title in a 21-16 win over Washington State at the Grand daddy of them all
50. Feb 2002 Rice Eccles stadium Opening Ceremony saw a sitting president walk 20 yards in front of me as I got goosebumps on a 18 degree night.
<!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #fdde82 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #fdde82 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #fdde82 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #fdde82 1px solid"> </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #fdde82 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #fdde82 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #fdde82 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #fdde82 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by a moderator:

railbird

EOG Master
51. March 2015 Bo Ryan beats Sean Miller in Elite 8 at staples center, what a coaching mismatch.

railbird

EOG Master
52 March 2014, Freshman Ridge Shipley hits a 3 pointer with 14 seconds left giving Cal Poly a 61-59 win in big west final over vs northridge

railbird

EOG Master
#45 is interesting because their was a huge fire in Oakland that day, and my previous trip to bay area was in top 20, which was the earthquake game world series in 89, so i was a magnet for natural disasters

railbird

EOG Master
the pre 1987 stuff i went as a fan, usually with poster common guy, or my other brother or late cousin steve. the stuff post 1987 as a ticket scalper slash fan

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
49. Jan 1998 Referees stop the game with 2 seconds left and give Michigan a share of the National title in a 21-16 win over Washington State at the Grand daddy of them all

Remember that ending well.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
#45 is interesting because their was a huge fire in Oakland that day, and my previous trip to bay area was in top 20, which was the earthquake game world series in 89, so i was a magnet for natural disasters

I was at that game, very hot in Strawberry Canyon, shirtless onlookers on legendary Tightwad Hill. The fire started in the afternoon, was under control, but the embers left unattended. The next day the wind fanned the fire into an inferno. On Sunday, I could watch the fires burning from my condo in the Marin Headlands.

From Wikipedia:
One of the unfortunate highlights (for Cal) of that season was against future national co-champion the undefeated Washington Huskies. The game was at home, where California was able to stand up to Huskies unlike any other team that season. The team stopped Washington from scoring within the Cal red zone on multiple occasions, but lost the game on an incomplete pass with 5 seconds left in the game. Cal lost that game 17 to 24. (later that year UW destroyed Michigan in the Rose Bowl, another game I attended, Vive UW !)

railbird

EOG Master
I was at that game, very hot in Strawberry Canyon, shirtless onlookers on legendary Tightwad Hill. The fire started in the afternoon, was under control, but the embers left unattended. The next day the wind fanned the fire into an inferno. On Sunday, I could watch the fires burning from my condo in the Marin Headlands.

From Wikipedia:
One of the unfortunate highlights (for Cal) of that season was against future national co-champion the undefeated Washington Huskies. The game was at home, where California was able to stand up to Huskies unlike any other team that season. The team stopped Washington from scoring within the Cal red zone on multiple occasions, but lost the game on an incomplete pass with 5 seconds left in the game. Cal lost that game 17 to 24. (later that year UW destroyed Michigan in the Rose Bowl, another game I attended, Vive UW !)
brunell and hobert were in a qb competion. UW should be in conversation for best 3 yr dynasty ever

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

A magnet for natural disasters, funny.