Tom Petty found in full cardiac arrest Sunday night

Valuist

EOG Master
Re: Tom Petty found in full cardiac arrest Sunday night.

Just saw Runnin Down a Dream on Netflix about a month ago.

Rock guys don't tend to live too long.

kane

EOG master

Where did you hear he died? I hope you're wrong-he's one of the best

I heard he was on life support. This really fucking sucks, Petty was awesome, a huge loss, God damn it

Nevermind-he was pulled off life support and is brain dead. This sucks. He always put on an awesome live show. As valuist mentioned the documentary running down a dream, check it out-very well done a fascinating life biopic

scrimmage

What you contemplate you imitate

The hits just keep on coming...

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

washington times CBS news most major news outlets not just TMZ who unfortunately had to first break this sad story.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Truly sad. An unmistakable voice that was as talented as it got

First..........Dave Strader
Now..........Petty

Next..................???

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

Politics can be heartbreaking

Petty isn’t too outwardly political either. You get the feeling he’s just music, all music. But occasionally, the use of his music has forced him into the political arena–where Petty’s views are exposed.

In 2000, George W. Bush’s presidential campaign used Petty’s song, “I Won’t Back Down,” during various campaign events. Petty wasn’t happy about it and sent the would-be president a cease-and-desist letter.3

In 2008, Republican/Tea Party presidential candidate Michele Bachmann used Petty’s song, “American Girl,” for campaign purposes and again, he asked her to cease-and-desist.4

Ok, so you might think: ‘Petty just doesn’t want his music connected to politics.’ Well, when Barack Obama and the Democratic National Convention used his song, “I Won’t Back Down,” in 2012, Petty said:

I got chills. They knew it would be okay. I’ve had a chance to meet the President and talk to him about the music he listens to.5

Beyond that, Petty seems like sort of a populist, a man of the people. He defended changes in the music industry resulting from the ascension of the Internet when other artists (Metallica in particular)6 were up in arms over lost profits. He said:

It’s funny how the music industry is enraged about the Internet and the way things are copied without being paid for. But you know why people steal the music? Because they can’t afford the music.7

Petty has rallied against rising prices on his albums as well,8 and his album, The Last DJ, is widely regarded as his most political album where he rails against the entertainment industrial complex.9

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

I liked The Last DJ, pretty edgy album for him.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

During my High school/ college years many a night beer was consumed on country roads listening to Tom Petty.

Just one hell of a shitty day today

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated

I remember when his house burned down in 1987 and his fans rushed to his LA home with donations to help him rebuild. In interviews he got emotional and it was the first time I ever saw him get choked up.

Screw Andrews

EOG Dedicated

Politics can be heartbreaking

Petty isn’t too outwardly political either. You get the feeling he’s just music, all music. But occasionally, the use of his music has forced him into the political arena–where Petty’s views are exposed.

In 2000, George W. Bush’s presidential campaign used Petty’s song, “I Won’t Back Down,” during various campaign events. Petty wasn’t happy about it and sent the would-be president a cease-and-desist letter.3

In 2008, Republican/Tea Party presidential candidate Michele Bachmann used Petty’s song, “American Girl,” for campaign purposes and again, he asked her to cease-and-desist.4

Ok, so you might think: ‘Petty just doesn’t want his music connected to politics.’ Well, when Barack Obama and the Democratic National Convention used his song, “I Won’t Back Down,” in 2012, Petty said:

I got chills. They knew it would be okay. I’ve had a chance to meet the President and talk to him about the music he listens to.5

Beyond that, Petty seems like sort of a populist, a man of the people. He defended changes in the music industry resulting from the ascension of the Internet when other artists (Metallica in particular)6 were up in arms over lost profits. He said:

It’s funny how the music industry is enraged about the Internet and the way things are copied without being paid for. But you know why people steal the music? Because they can’t afford the music.7

Petty has rallied against rising prices on his albums as well,8 and his album, The Last DJ, is widely regarded as his most political album where he rails against the entertainment industrial complex.9

Doesn't need to be political....jeezzzz

Petty's daughter just lashed out on instagram because according to her her father isn't dead yet. Sounds grim but fingers still crossed.

RIP

Guy has inspired many of my favorite garage rock songs/bands. Truly a legend. Guy could write a fuckin hook!

Chuck Sims

EOG Dedicated

Tom Petty has not died according to his daughter. And she is pissed at the false news reports!!!!

scrimmage

What you contemplate you imitate

Everybody has a time span;but the scary thing is when peeps we know & loved pass it reminds us of our own mortality...

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Interesting read, thanks for posting.

I wasn't much of a fan of his stuff when he moved to California. He really changed a lot in life then. That book would give some good retrospective to those LA days.