UNC at Duke

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Re: UNC at Duke

Way too early to speculate, but as of now given the home court advantage Duke -7 or 8.

jimmythegreek

Jimmy give me 6.5 and I'll take UNC for all you want. That's a horrible line.

I say Duke -2.

Was it as horrible as when North Carolina was favored by nearly the same amount when they last played a few weeks back in Chapel Hill? I think not. The psychological edge moves this line a couple of points alone especially since the Heels had that game basically in the bag.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Was it as horrible as when North Carolina was favored by nearly the same amount when they last played a few weeks back in Chapel Hill? I think not. The psychological edge moves this line a couple of points alone especially since the Heels had that game basically in the bag.
No, that line was accurate since UNC is better than Duke.

carolinakid

Banned

wow jimmy 7 to 8 no way, i guess you dont watch these 2.........Duke by 2.5 to 3...Myself i like a lot of other people thinking that carolina is the best of these 2, the question will they prove it this time......If duke win this game then no carolina fans can say anything imo.Carolina will win this game imo.Heading down to watch duke/wake later tonite..........but i was shock when i open this and seen someone say 7 or 8.....................

carolinakid

Banned

this game is a pk imo but you got to factor in the home court adv for Duke and that why the line will be imo 2.5 to 3

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

Ok, then give me 6.5 points. We can post it up somewhere.

jimmythegreek

And...

UNC is a better team than Duke.

I don't think so but we will see. Carolina couldn't close the deal last time out. Could have easily had the inside track to one of the # 1 seeds although these two will likely play in the ACC tourney final.

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

You asked a question I voiced my opinion. No need to turn it into side action.

Of course there's no need to, but if you actually believed the line should be 7 or 8 you should be happy to lay just 6.5. Gambling is just betting on an opinion, after all.

Hell, I'll take 6. You're getting two whole points, jimmy!

Just a matter of time before you take my offer or retract your opinion...:pop:

jimmythegreek

Of course there's no need to, but if you actually believed the line should be 7 or 8 you should be happy to lay just 6.5. Gambling is just betting on an opinion, after all.

Hell, I'll take 6. You're getting two whole points, jimmy!

Just a matter of time before you take my offer or retract your opinion...:pop:

Yeah but if the actual line is set lower am I going to take mine or the posted oddsmakers? I'm not going to retract my opinion but thanks anyway. It's just a prediction. See more value in the total, which I'll say opens around 155.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I don't think so but we will see. Carolina couldn't close the deal last time out. Could have easily had the inside track to one of the # 1 seeds although these two will likely play in the ACC tourney final.
Agree with the "no need for side action." Nothing wrong with having a differing opinion either - if we were all the same gambling wouldn't exist.

I admittedly am a UNC fan, but I'm actually pretty tough on this team because they've greatly underperformed this year - despite the record you've posted. This UNC team is every bit as talented as the Kentucky team, but they seem to lack that "attitude." Marshall, Barnes, Zeller and Henson might all be lottery picks THIS YEAR.

I think PJ Hairston - who doesn't even play much anymore and has been atrocious when he has played - is one of the 5 most talented freshman in the country. His jumper is smooth as hell, yet he has no confidence and his numbers are atrocious - word around UNC is the guy never misses in practice or pre-game, but choke..... He's also 6'5 and one of the 5 most athletic guards in the country. Him and McAdoo with progress will be lottery picks.

Duke has no identity to me. They have succeeded because they're obviously well coached and they're deep. Duke doesn't have a "best player" and they have the most inconsistent guards around - Curry, Rivers and Dawkins. They're all so talented and damn good but Dawkins goes games without scoring over 6 points, then drops 30; Rivers dominates UNC and gets shut down twice by Maryland.

UNC and Duke have the same record, but they're drastically different teams.

Prickly Pete

EOG Veteran

Agree with the "no need for side action." Nothing wrong with having a differing opinion either - if we were all the same gambling wouldn't exist.

I admittedly am a UNC fan, but I'm actually pretty tough on this team because they've greatly underperformed this year - despite the record you've posted. This UNC team is every bit as talented as the Kentucky team, but they seem to lack that "attitude." Marshall, Barnes, Zeller and Henson might all be lottery picks THIS YEAR.

I think PJ Hairston - who doesn't even play much anymore and has been atrocious when he has played - is one of the 5 most talented freshman in the country. His jumper is smooth as hell, yet he has no confidence and his numbers are atrocious - word around UNC is the guy never misses in practice or pre-game, but choke..... He's also 6'5 and one of the 5 most athletic guards in the country. Him and McAdoo with progress will be lottery picks.

Duke has no identity to me. They have succeeded because they're obviously well coached and they're deep. Duke doesn't have a "best player" and they have the most inconsistent guards around - Curry, Rivers and Dawkins. They're all so talented and damn good but Dawkins goes games without scoring over 6 points, then drops 30; Rivers dominates UNC and gets shut down twice by Maryland.

UNC and Duke have the same record, but they're drastically different teams.

Very well said and that coming from a Duke fan. The only part I disagree with is your evaluation of Hairston's talent and athletic ability.

UNC tends to have a problem getting up for big games and can sleepwalk thru early parts of games before getting it together. I don't expect that to happen on Saturday based on how the first meeting played out. I'd be ecstatic with a Duke win, but I don't think it is likely unless they shoot lights out from three again - which is possible since UNC refuses to defend the three. All UNC had to do the first game was continue to pound Zeller and that game would have never gotten close, but Barnes tried to do too much on his own in the second half as they forgot Zeller existed and the rest is Rivers history.

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

What if the line is two points higher than what I'm offering though, jimmy? I mean, you JUST said that's what you think it should be.

The fact that you're defending that opinion makes me think it isn't just a half hearted guess. You really believe that's what it should be, right? So if you're really a gambler, and you really believe what you're saying, why wouldn't you lay just six when in a few days you'd have to lay even more?

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Very well said and that coming from a Duke fan. The only part I disagree with is your evaluation of Hairston's talent and athletic ability.

UNC tends to have a problem getting up for big games and can sleepwalk thru early parts of games before getting it together. I don't expect that to happen on Saturday based on how the first meeting played out. I'd be ecstatic with a Duke win, but I don't think it is likely unless they shoot lights out from three again - which is possible since UNC refuses to defend the three. All UNC had to do the first game was continue to pound Zeller and that game would have never gotten close, but Barnes tried to do too much on his own in the second half as they forgot Zeller existed and the rest is Rivers history.

My evaluation is partly due to not being able to admit I was so horribly wrong about him coming into college; but also because the South Carolina, Kentucky and UNLV games still are embedded in my brain. Such a smooth game, and a great athlete. There's a chance he could be a total bust, and he already failed at being the 1 and done, but it could be the best thing to happen to him.

jimmythegreek

What if the line is two points higher than what I'm offering though, jimmy? I mean, you JUST said that's what you think it should be.

The fact that you're defending that opinion makes me think it isn't just a half hearted guess. You really believe that's what it should be, right? So if you're really a gambler, and you really believe what you're saying, why wouldn't you lay just six when in a few days you'd have to lay even more?

Weinke like I previously mentioned before I think there's more value in the total. If I were betting the side just because I think Duke should be favored by that much doesn't necessarily mean I should feel strongly about that outcome or predict they win by more or perhaps less. That's why they call it gambling. Thanks but no thanks. There are better games on Saturday's board to play.

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

Ok, just give me 5.5. Surely if you think the line should be 7-8 you feel that you're getting a good deal betting -5.5 +100 when a bet on Duke later might mean -8 -110?

jimmythegreek

Ok, just give me 5.5. Surely if you think the line should be 7-8 you feel that you're getting a good deal betting -5.5 +100 when a bet on Duke later might mean -8 -110?

Bet it online and buy up. Now it's reminiscent of a Feist or proline tout who won't cut the strings.

Prickly Pete

EOG Veteran

My evaluation is partly due to not being able to admit I was so horribly wrong about him coming into college; but also because the South Carolina, Kentucky and UNLV games still are embedded in my brain. Such a smooth game, and a great athlete. There's a chance he could be a total bust, and he already failed at being the 1 and done, but it could be the best thing to happen to him.

I think that losing Leslie McDonald was a huge blow to this team, much more than losing Dex. McD was the guy that could really fill it up from outside. If you had him roaming the perimeter instead of Bullock or Hairston that team could outscore anyone.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master

Home court advantage is absolutely NOTHING in this matchup. The crowd is nill because these teams aren't taken back by crowd noise and crowd trash talk.

Can we all agree that the "cameron crazies" are one of the MOST OVERRATED things in college basketball. So you have some cheers and wear blue make up? Big fucking deal.

Now the question at hand in terms of the point spread. I post this game as UNC -1.5. UNC was -6 in the first matchup. Neutral site puts this game at about UNC -3.5. I can't give Duke a full home court advantage in this one (4pts) so I come up with UNC -1.5

UNC gets revenge in this one and wins by 5.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master

I love the under if it is 159. Duke made 14 3pt shots and there was 15 points scored in the last 2:09 of the game.

Big time game to decide the conference which will lead to the coaches calling more half court sets and the defensive intensity will rise as well. I'll also be very interested in the team totals UNDER for each team.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I love the under if it is 159. Duke made 14 3pt shots and there was 15 points scored in the last 2:09 of the game.

Big time game to decide the conference which will lead to the coaches calling more half court sets and the defensive intensity will rise as well. I'll also be very interested in the team totals UNDER for each team.

I like to play important games "under."

I think you've got the right idea here, Sportsrmylife.

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

Man you never quit do you? If you can't respect an opinion don't say anything at all.

I can respect an opinion, I just can't respect a dumb one.

We can fly a helicopter to the moon. My car could run on cheese wiz. A peanut can grow as large as Earth's moon.

Could these all be considered "opinions"? Well yeah, sure. Does it mean everybody should be polite and not call them out for being horrible, misinformed/misguided/ill-conceived ones? Hell no.

You made an awful prediction. Admit it and we'll move on or put your money where your mouth is and let's post up. :pop:

jimmythegreek

I can respect an opinion, I just can't respect a dumb one.

We can fly a helicopter to the moon. My car could run on cheese wiz. A peanut can grow as large as Earth's moon.

Could these all be considered "opinions"? Well yeah, sure. Does it mean everybody should be polite and not call them out for being horrible, misinformed/misguided/ill-conceived ones? Hell no.

You made an awful prediction. Admit it and we'll move on or put your money where your mouth is and let's post up. :pop:

I think my prediction is solid. I told you numerous times I have no time for senseless desperate on your part side action, as I have been welched numberous times by the 6th most popular stiffer on this site as voted by JK.Let's see how smart you are or if you even have a clue on who that might be. If you think my prediction is off, fine. However I never referred to your as dumb. There is no way I am going to say my prediction is awful nor give you the satisfaction to post up side action. You're entitled to your own opinion, but who are you to tell me I should admit to something that you're opposed to?

Prickly Pete

EOG Veteran

Can we all agree that the "cameron crazies" are one of the MOST OVERRATED things in college basketball. So you have some cheers and wear blue make up? Big fucking deal.

Prior to the last couple of years I would have disagreed, but the current Crazies are living off the reputation of their predecessors.