"We shouldn’t abandon masks after the pandemic recedes"

"Eddy Lang is a professor and department head for emergency medicine for the Cumming School of Medicine at the University of Calgary. Merril Pauls is a professor in the department of emergency medicine at the Max Rady College of Medicine at the University of Manitoba.

Even as emergency care providers battle the terrible toll of the third wave, we are witnessing a remarkable shift in the non-COVID-19 patients who seek emergency care. While these observations need further confirmation, they strongly suggest that the same masking and physical distancing we have adopted to fight COVID-19 have had a significant impact on influenza transmission, and complications related to other respiratory viral infections. This presents us with a great opportunity going forward, but also with some difficult decisions.

In the months of March and April, 2020, emergency departments and hospitals around the world witnessed a dramatic reduction in demand for acute care services. This phenomenon was driven by the shock of the first wave lockdowns and a general avoidance of hospitals. This underuse has persisted, to a lesser extent, a full 14 months after the initial states of emergency were declared. While many hospitals are still struggling with the impact of COVID-19 admissions and the need for precious single-bedded rooms, we continue to see a relative underuse and lesser numbers of admitted patients due to many other conditions.

Some experts believe this is due to ongoing fears that seeking healthcare will expose individuals to COVID-19, but other possible explanations are emerging. The reduced emergency department visits and fewer hospitalizations may actually be the result of a significant reduction in many other illnesses we would normally be seeing.

One of the most astonishing developments related to the pandemic has been the eradication of the influenza virus this season. This would have seemed unbelievable to most experts before the pandemic, but throughout the summer of 2020, Australia noted a marked decrease in influenza cases during what should have been their peak season. Canadian data has shown a similar trend this past fall and winter. This means that thousands of deaths and numerous hospitalizations historically caused by influenza every year have also markedly decreased. This is almost certainly due to the public health measures we have instituted to combat COVID-19.

Along with the decrease in influenza, it appears we are seeing decreased transmission and fewer complications due to cold viruses. While most patients do not suffer long-term effects from these viruses, they can pose a significant danger to those with serious lung disease. Patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) who catch colds can experience flare-ups often requiring hospitalization or intensive care, and some will even die. Pneumonia (or non-COVID pneumonia to be precise) is also a common and serious condition that is particularly hard on seniors, resulting in thousands of hospitalization and deaths in Canada every year. Many of these pneumonias are linked to viral infections that precede the pneumonia.

So this leaves us with a dilemma. As the pandemic continues, people are yearning for a relaxation of public health restrictions. No one wants to hear that perhaps we should continue these measures even after COVID-19 recedes. The good news is that we may not need all of the current restrictions to still see a benefit for our most vulnerable citizens. Ongoing research is required to clarify and quantify the connections we are seeing. Perhaps simply good hand hygiene, and indoor public masking for those at risk, will lead to lower numbers of hospitalizations for respiratory illnesses in the future.

People are desperate to reclaim their former lives and move past current restrictions, and yet we are calling for scientists, policy makers and the general public to consider a key potential learning from this difficult time. We have worked so hard to make mask-wearing the norm. If future studies confirm the significant benefits of this practice, do we really want to undo all this effort? We are not advocating for mask mandates or restrictive rules as they currently exist – but rather the maintenance of a new norm, based on collective goodwill and the realization of how many lives we could save by continuing this practice.

We need more high-quality studies to demonstrate the benefits, and identify potential harms of these measures. We also need to identify which of our current practices will have the greatest ongoing benefits and determine the least intrusive ways to use them while still being effective.

Some see masks as symbols of the anxiety and isolation the pandemic has caused. We are hoping people can instead come to see them as a tremendous gift we have given some of our most vulnerable citizens, protecting them from serious illness and even death. And we hope people will embrace the ongoing use of masks, even after the pandemic recedes.

mr merlin

EOG Master
this guy is a salesman for MMM
Our mask mandate officially ended on may 13th, it's been a little over 3 weeks and the masks are disappearing fast, most stores have maybe 10-15% masked - it was 99%. About the only ones still wearing are asians, blacks and a few old people, a month from now it'll prob be 5%.

MrTop

EOG Master
Our mask mandate officially ended on may 13th, it's been a little over 3 weeks and the masks are disappearing fast, most stores have maybe 10-15% masked - it was 99%. About the only ones still wearing are asians, blacks and a few old people, a month from now it'll prob be 5%.

yep NJ ended too.. you can go into a supermarket and not wear one.. many people do not know... they can get rid of it.. some people worried ... airlines you have to and i think buses/uber

billysink

EOG Dedicated
Went for wings last night and celebrate wife's BD sat on the out door patio of an oceanside pub watching the tide roll out in the sunset. Wore a mask to walk through the bistro to access patio, use washroom and pay. Also to go to car and get my love a sweater. Really enjoyed the evening it was beautiful. Wore a mask for probably 6 minutes. Which is about 40 days less than you know nothing fukks have spent hiding in the house arguing about them.

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
Went to the Aria earlier today. Probably 20% of people were wearing masks. Quite a few virtue-signaling California morons. I didn't wear one. Which is about 6 minutes less than the retards in Canada that are still locked down and never leave the house other than for birthdays because they're shut-ins anyway.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
I see today that the TARD community has made a career epidemiologist into the reincarnate if Dr. Joseph Mengele. Millions of conspiracy theorists who's knowledge of disease, medicine and COVID transmission have decided that Fauci was trying to eradicate anyone right of center ideologically. Fukkin hilarious but ominous at the same time.

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
I see today that the TARD community has made a career epidemiologist into the reincarnate if Dr. Joseph Mengele. Millions of conspiracy theorists who's knowledge of disease, medicine and COVID transmission have decided that Fauci was trying to eradicate anyone right of center ideologically. Fukkin hilarious but ominous at the same time.

Learn the difference between who's and whose before you start calling other people tards, genius.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
Went to the Aria earlier today. Probably 20% of people were wearing masks. Quite a few virtue-signaling California morons. I didn't wear one. Which is about 6 minutes less than the retards in Canada that are still locked down and never leave the house other than for birthdays because they're shut-ins anyway.

No masks on Golf Course, prospecting or hiking some mountain which is pretty much my day, wife was at cottage for the week, various outdoor markets, beach, car show, bakery and horse farm. Some lockdown. 6 minutes in a mask about as much an irritant as some autistic kid yappin about it. Neither one gonna change my day the least.

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
No masks on Golf Course, prospecting or hiking some mountain which is pretty much my day, wife was at cottage for the week, various outdoor markets, beach, car show, bakery and horse farm. Some lockdown. 6 minutes in a mask about as much an irritant as some autistic kid yappin about it. Neither one gonna change my day the least.

Uh huh. Never been to a grocery store. Never buy anything from stores.

I guess that's what happens when you're a brokedick shut-in.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
Learn the difference between who's and whose before you start calling other people tards, genius.

Of no importance to me, this conversation or the 1769654360982 other illiteracies I have posted.

Given that I just may have been in tougher predicaments over the course of my life, Aspie grammar shaming makes me laugh out loud. Sounds like some shit you would pull in a grade 4 spelling bee.

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
Of no importance to me, this conversation or the 1769654360982 other illiteracies I have posted.

Given that I just may have been in tougher predicaments over the course of my life, Aspie grammar shaming makes me laugh out loud. Sounds like some shit you would pull in a grade 4 spelling bee.

I'm sure the people you're shaming over disparaging a guy that lied to the American public, which is proven by his recently released emails, share the same sentiments, genius.

Glad that you acknowledge that you don't even have the mental capacity to win a fourth grade spelling bee, however.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
Uh huh. Never been to a grocery store. Never buy anything from stores.

I guess that's what happens when you're a brokedick shut-in.

I go to Home Depot, Slegg Lumber, Canadian Tire, Princess Auto once a monthish. In an out I know what and where I need wear a mask in store.

Wife does the rest.

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
I go to Home Depot, Slegg Lumber, Canadian Tire, Princess Auto once a monthish. In an out I know what and where I need wear a mask in store.

Wife does the rest.

And the lies about never wearing a mask have been exposed....

This shit is like candy from a baby.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
I'm sure the people you're shaming over disparaging a guy that lied to the American public, which is proven by his recently released emails, share the same sentiments, genius.

Glad that you acknowledge that you don't even have the mental capacity to win a fourth grade spelling bee, however.

After 3 years in State Penn some fukked up midget Autistic kid hiding behind a keyboard 1000 miles away is gonna do what exactly?

Have at it kid I got shit to do.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
And the lies about never wearing a mask have been exposed....

This shit is like candy from a baby.
No mask no entry son

Great expose though I'm so fukkin tilted I'm gonna go sand my deck.

Does wearing an N95 and safety glasses violate my freedoms in any way? This belt sander throws a lot of dust.

mr merlin

EOG Master
No mask no entry son

Great expose though I'm so fukkin tilted I'm gonna go sand my deck.

Does wearing an N95 and safety glasses violate my freedoms in any way? This belt sander throws a lot of dust.
If you only wear it for 6 min why wear it at all? that is the question the covid true believers cant answer.

Which is about 6 minutes less than the retards in Canada that are still locked down and never leave the house other than for birthdays because they're shut-ins anyway.

Speaking of retards, say hello to your retard covidiot clone:
Legit question

Have you set foot outside your bomb shelter in past month?

EVERYONE is outside
EVERYONE is going to play together
EVERYONE is hosting dinners / BBQs

Try walking through a park and look how insanely crowded it is
I don't care where you live, noone is inside their homes

I've been going outside since i was a toddler a number of decades ago ;

Who ever said that you couldn't? In fact fresh air & exercise has always been encouraged by health authorities, before and after 2019. Duh.

And, in Ontario, where the winters strongly motivate people to stay indoors, did you expect they'd still be likewise motivated in the fine Spring weather of June? Duh.

"Confused about Ontario's lockdown restrictions? Here's what you can and can't do right now
Recent rules lifted on June 2 but few changes followed. It's Step One that will bring more loosening":

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
Speaking of retards, say hello to your retard covidiot clone:

I've been going outside since i was a toddler a number of decades ago ;

Who ever said that you couldn't? In fact fresh air & exercise has always been encouraged by health authorities, before and after 2019. Duh.

And, in Ontario, where the winters strongly motivate people to stay indoors, did you expect they'd still be likewise motivated in the fine Spring weather of June? Duh.

"Confused about Ontario's lockdown restrictions? Here's what you can and can't do right now
Recent rules lifted on June 2 but few changes followed. It's Step One that will bring more loosening":

You're not a toddler anymore?

You do a great job of disguising it.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Looks like Monkey is taking several for the team by keeping Billy in the politics forum. Thank you, Monkey! Maybe I'll reward you with another hedge opportunity on Captain America.

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
Looks like Monkey is taking several for the team by keeping Billy in the politics forum. Thank you, Monkey! Maybe I'll reward you with another hedge opportunity on Captain America.

Haha. I have him trained like a puppy dog.

He even makes threads about me here. It's cute.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
This shit just about the biggest non issue I ever heard of. I don't answer to anyone that I know of for my mask preferences and I give zero fukks what anyone else here does. Still don't get why wearing a mask for 6 min is worth even discussing

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
This shit just about the biggest non issue I ever heard of. I don't answer to anyone that I know of for my mask preferences and I give zero fukks what anyone else here does. Still don't get why wearing a mask for 6 min is worth even discussing

You think the people that work there only have to wear them for 6 minutes, genius? Surely, businesses are THRIVING when people are forced to wear a mask as they visit for an extended period of time.

You're about as bright as a black hole.

But congrats, you found the stupid restaurant loophole that makes the mask mandates completely ridiculous. Guess you can't get or spread COVID-19 when you're sitting down. LOL.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
You think the people that work there only have to wear them for 6 minutes, genius? Surely, businesses are THRIVING when people are forced to wear a mask as they visit for an extended period of time.

You're about as bright as a black hole.

But congrats, you found the stupid restaurant loophole that makes the mask mandates completely ridiculous. Guess you can't get or spread COVID-19 when you're sitting down. LOL.
Fukk I care what they gotta do not my fukkin problem guy. I ate outdoors kid.

This shit ain't inconvenience me the least sorry. Or most folks who ignore the buffoonery from the usual sources BC gov't posts their updates I give them a once over and carry on. I avoid stupidity and weakness like its a plague anyway so I'm low low risk. Didn't even look into a vaccine.

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
Fukk I care what they gotta do not my fukkin problem guy. I ate outdoors kid.

This shit ain't inconvenience me the least sorry. Or most folks who ignore the buffoonery from the usual sources BC gov't posts their updates I give them a once over and carry on. I avoid stupidity and weakness like its a plague anyway so I'm low low risk. Didn't even look into a vaccine.

Yeah. Why would anyone sane care that their local economy is being decimated? It doesn't matter if you don't leave the house ever! LMAO.

Brilliant like a black hole as always.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
I Leave the house every day. Bring a mask put it on if asked.

How that is anyone business or concern is a mystery to me.

I wore a mask for less time during the pandemic than you experts spent arguing about them.

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
I Leave the house every day. Bring a mask put it on if asked.

How that is anyone business or concern is a mystery to me.

I wore a mask for less time during the pandemic than you experts spent arguing about them.

It's really rocket science how businesses and the economy get affected by lockdowns and mask mandates.

If it's nobody's business whether people wear masks or not, then there shouldn't be mandates, genius.

And you were the one announcing to us how often you wear a mask, Einstein.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
Exactly. Someone who owns a home loves when their property values plummet.

Stuff like that never matters.

Who needs an economy? LMAO.

My municipal assessments went up 90k, 22k and 56k as of Jan 21. Two of those properties will be sold before next assessment. The third will become a rental.

Covid was really just a nothingburger. A few common sense precautions ain't gonna change my life any.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
It's really rocket science how businesses and the economy get affected by lockdowns and mask mandates.

If it's nobody's business whether people wear masks or not, then there shouldn't be mandates, genius.

And you were the one announcing to us how often you wear a mask, Einstein.

Tell someone who gia fukk then. I can't even begin to care you pretty much howlin at the moon son.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
You really got me with the who's whose thing tho that was very humbling

More important than this goofy ass mask discussion too.

You'll be a force when you start shaming folks at a junior high level.

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
You really got me with the who's whose thing tho that was very humbling

More important than this goofy ass mask discussion too.

You'll be a force when you start shaming folks at a junior high level.

You'll have to get yourself to a junior high level before I can start shaming you at that level.

Genius shit as always. Thank you for wasting all of your time on things you don't care about.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
Then you're spending your time wisely in this thread.

You're a real genius. LOL.

How I spend my time is your business son?

Your assessment of my intelligence should mean what? I'm guessing today ain't your lucky day on that either.

You run your yap all day everyday like it should mean something. I can't speak for anyone but myself in saying that your opinions are useless, harmless, meaningless and uninformative.

Little men who can't kick the fluff off a dandelion are a funny lot without autism. Throw in the spectrum and shit just goofy.