Westgate SuperContest Standings

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Westgate lines for Week 17:

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 29, 2019 1 TITANS 1:25 PM 2 TEXAS*+3.5

Texas? Gotta love the morons at the Westgate Superbook!

Not only getting a college team in the lines, but they gratuitously changed the format of the weekly lines which screwed up importing them into my spreadsheet..

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Dave Tuley's Contest Corner
Tune into VSiN to follow the final day of the big Las Vegas football handicapping contests.
SuperContest Top 5 Most-Selected Teams (40-37-3 on season) for NFL Week 17 are NYG +4.5 vs. PHI, TEN -3.5 at HOU, SEA +3.5 vs. SF, KC -8.5 vs. LAC & IND -3.5 at JAX; SuperContestGold Top Plays (39-41-3) are NYG +4.5, CHI +1, TEN -3.5, DEN -3, LAR -3.
SuperContest leader It Ain't Breezy (55-23-2, 70.5%, 56 contest points) has TEN -3.5, IND -3.5, NO -13, NYG +4.5, LAR -3; CRISPR (1.5 points back) has 4 common picks, so can't finish 1st; Tuco (2.5 back) has CIN +2.5, CAR +13, NYG +4.5, NE -15.5, SF -3.5.
SuperContest Gold leader Walter Payton (49-30-1, 62%, 49.5 contest points) has TEN, CHI, NYG, BAL, LAR; @Nickelgetter2 (47.5 points) has CLE, NO, NYJ, NE, DEN; IG:THISISWALKERAT (47.5 points) has TEN, CHI, NYJ, KC, LAR (can only tie due to 3 common plays).
#CircaSportsMillion leader Booty Blockers (54-23-3, 70.1%, 55.5 contest points) has TEN -3.5, IND -3.5, NO -13, PHI -4.5, NE -16; Ace 2019 (1 point back but holds tiebreaker) has CHI +1.5, NYG +4.5 (opposite pick!!), PIT -1.5, NE -16 (common pick), SEA +3.5.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Mini-contest leaders (3 tied for the lead at 13.5 points, but PACKMD wins with 14 points with SEA):

Alias Pts W L T

RUN IT UP 1 13.5 4 1 0
PRIMETIME REVET 13.5 5 0 0
FOR BROOKE 13.5 4 1 0

PACKMD 13.0 4 0 0 SEA

KAIDEN 12.5 4 0 0 SEA
CARJAC4 12.5 4 0 0 SEA

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Top 3 Supercontest classic finishers:

Alias Wins Losses Pushes Points W L T Prize Money

IT AINT BREEZY 58 25 2 59.0 3 2 0 $1,469,644.80
CRISPR. 56 26 3 57.5 3 2 0 $505,190.40
PRO'S AND CON'S 55 28 2 56.0 4 1 0 $275,558.40

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Dave Tuley’s Contest Corner
  • It Ain't Breezy clinched SuperContest 1st-place prize of $1,469,644.80 + ring, topping a record field of 3,328 entries at $1,500 apiece. It Aint Breezy ended up going 3-2 Sunday to finish with a record of 58-25-2 (69.9 percent). Nebraska childhood friends Eric Jensen, 38, & Matt Kucera, 36, were the winning duo. How they did it. Crispr held on for second place, 1.5 points behind the champs, to earn $505,190.40 as the runner-up.
  • In the Circa Sports Million, Booty Blockers won 1st-place prize of $1 million + custom-made blue blazer; Booty Blockers was leader down the stretch and held on with 3-2 record (key win on Eagles -4.5) to finish 57-25-3 (69.5%). Circa Sports identified the winner as Isaac Meier (@IMY310 on Twitter) of Los Angeles.
  • In the SuperContest Gold, Walter Payton (alias) took the winner-take-all $585,000 prize + ring in ($5,000 version of SuperContest with 117 entrants by going 4-1 in NFL Week 17 to finish 53-31-1 (63.1%), clinching w/ BAL +1.5 or he would have chopped w/ IG ThisIsWalkerAt (wins $0).
  • SuperContest Top 5 Most-Selected Teams went 2-3 in Week 17 to finish 42-40-3 on season; wins were on TEN -3.5 & KC -8.5 with losses on NYG +4.5, SEA +3.5 & IND -3.5; SuperContest Gold Top Plays went 2-3 to finish 41-44-3.
  • Circa Sports Million Top 5 Most-Selected Teams went 3-2 in NFL Week 17 to finish 42-39-4 on the season.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Nebraska duo takes $1.4 million top prize in SuperContest
By Dave Tuley (VSiN.com senior reporter)
December 29, 2019 10:40 PM

With sports betting becoming more accepted and legalized in states from coast to coast, it seems fitting that the winners of the Westgate Las Vegas SuperContest, the biggest and longest running pro football handicapping contest, would be won by two friends literally near the geographic center of the United States.
Eric Jensen, a 38-year-old water well driller from Grand Island, Neb., and Matt Kucera, a 36-year-old territory sales manager for an insurance company in Omaha, Neb., teamed to win the SuperContest’s record $1.469 million first-place prize by topping a record field of 3,328 that put up the $1,500 entry fee and made five NFL picks a week against the contest spread with wins worth 1 point and pushes worth half a point.
Playing under the alias “It Aint Breezy,” they were leading by 1.5 points over “Crispr” entering Sunday’s final day of the regular season, clinching when they won their first play Sunday on New Orleans -13 (fittingly as their alias is partly a tribute to QB Drew Brees in addition to being a tongue-in-cheek nod to the fact it’s always breezy in Nebraska) and the three contestants who entered the day mathematically alive for the title all lost with New England -15.5 at Miami.
“I knew we were in good shape when ‘Crispr’ had four plays in common and couldn’t catch us,” Jensen said. “[Longtime leader] ‘Tuco’ was on Carolina, so the Drew took care of him for us, but we didn’t know we clinched with New England losing until we saw your Tweet [@ViewFromVegas].”
It Aint Breezy ended up going 3-2 Sunday to finish with a record of 58-25-2 (69.9 percent). Crispr held on for second place, 1.5 points behind the champs, to earn $505,190.40 as the runner-up. Pro’s and Con’s finished third, worth $275,558.40 in the contest that has seen explosive growth like the poker boom of last decade.
Interviewed Sunday night, the It Aint Breezy tandem sounded like regular Midwest guys. They played baseball together as kids, were high school friends and both went to University of Nebraska-Kearney, where they were industrial distribution majors. They describe themselves as recreational gamblers who first took a shot at the SuperContest last year (finishing a middle-of-the-pack 42-40-3) who are keeping their day jobs.
What did they do to celebrate their accomplishment? Jensen delayed our phone call to help his family dig out of a blizzard. Kucera built a Lincoln Log house with his daughter. Yep, salt-of-the-earth guys.
But they also have their differences.
“Eric loves underdogs and I love favorites,” Kucera said. “We would spend 1.5 to 2 hours on the phone every Friday night going over all the games to come up with our five strongest picks.
“Eric was telling everyone about it; I didn’t want to jinx it. I wasn’t sure we had a shot to win it until we went 5-0 in Week 15 and 4-0-1 in Week 16 when we took the lead.”
One person Jensen boasted to in advance of their victory was Kelly Stewart, whose KellyInVegas proxy service put in their plays every week.
“Eric called me about a week ago and said, ‘Can you believe two hicks from the sticks are going to win it all?’” Stewart said. Jensen confirmed the conversation, though he hinted the language was even saltier.
Jensen and Kucera weren’t quite as confident when the season first started. They went 2-3 in Week 1 and were only 5-5 before going 5-0 in Week 3. After going 2-3 in Week 4, they went 5-0 in Week 5 to improve to 18-7 (72 percent) and into the Top 100 for the first time.
“We felt if we could just pull it together and keep being consistent, we could stay in contention and get’r done,” Jensen said.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
This had been my first time entering the contest and it has been quite an experience. I had a brutal stretch of 3 weeks (week, 13, 14, 15 going 3-8-1, vacation and lack of prep time interfering, and that just killed what little momentum I had.) and ended up with 42 points, after having a high watermark of 6 games over .500 Had one 5-0 week, bunch of 3-2s, etc. Learned quite a lot. I think the biggest thing I would do differently is to take on a partner. Riding solo is very difficult when you have to figure out 5 games for yourself, without really bouncing ideas and discussing games with anyone. I would also pay less and less attention to what others are saying about games, like on radio, podcasts, friends, etc. This only leads to a lot of second guessing, and confusion. I like JK's famous quote of "Follow everyone, but listen to no one", well said, and I did not always do that. Me and my buddy, Spartan Mike have always been a team in this sort of thing for 25+ years, and he declined to get involved with this. I know have others wanting to join with me, so we will see if I take them on. In any event, I enjoyed playing, I think I need to give it at least one more chance, and talk my buddy, Spartan Mike into doing this with me. His issue was not wanting to be dead money in this. We shall see.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Some new changes for the 2020 SuperContest:

1/2 Special announcement! We’ll start accepting 2020 SuperContest entries January 13th! Includes SuperContest Gold & SuperContest Reboot contests!

2/2 New for the 2020 #SuperContest: $540K in-season bonuses. Cash bonuses for each Qtr includes; 1st $100K, 2nd $25K, 3rd $10K. Weekly selection deadline pushed back to Saturdays at 6PM for mobile, final deadline Saturdays at 11PM. More upgrades coming...

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
I wonder if the extra in-season bonuses are coming as a result of lower rake? The hold was about 8% last year.

What do you think about the changes ComptrBob? i.e., later deadline, etc.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Some new changes for the 2020 SuperContest:

1/2 Special announcement! We’ll start accepting 2020 SuperContest entries January 13th! Includes SuperContest Gold & SuperContest Reboot contests!

2/2 New for the 2020 #SuperContest: $540K in-season bonuses. Cash bonuses for each Qtr includes; 1st $100K, 2nd $25K, 3rd $10K. Weekly selection deadline pushed back to Saturdays at 6PM for mobile, final deadline Saturdays at 11PM. More upgrades coming...
I cant wait to see how circa counters this.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
I wonder if the extra in-season bonuses are coming as a result of lower rake? The hold was about 8% last year.

What do you think about the changes ComptrBob? i.e., later deadline, etc.

The in-season bonuses' increase is long overdue, the $15K mini contest was implemented many years ago to incentivize entrants to keep submitting picks after they had no chance for the season long cash. I think the Circa Million's huge in-season prizes prompted the Westgate to wake up and increase them. IMO, the excess will be "taken" from the percentage allocated to regular prize money and little or none of the rake will be touched.

IMO, the SAT deadline has always been arbitrarily early, again its probably a reaction to the Circa's later deadline. Obviously, it gives entrants more time to digest late line moves. More time for proxies to get picks submitted.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
I cant wait to see how circa counters this.

I expect no counter from the Circa except to start accepting 2020 entries at a very early date like the Westgate. They were fantastically successful in the first year. They will probably broaden the payouts and raise the amount of guaranteed prize money. I would expect them to heavily cut into the Westgate entrants because they are now a known quantity with 0% rake.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
I like JK's famous quote of "Follow everyone, but listen to no one", well said, and I did not always do that.

Its actually "Listen to everyone, follow no one", meaning it just costs time to listen to someone, but potentially costs you money when you follow someones' bet.

Last edited:

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
I expect no counter from the Circa except to start accepting 2020 entries at a very early date like the Westgate. They were fantastically successful in the first year. They will probably broaden the payouts and raise the amount of guaranteed prize money. I would expect them to heavily cut into the Westgate entrants because they are now a known quantity with 0% rake.
Derek and mike palm seem to be aggressive and i could see them bump the quarterly payouts to 250k and to take early entries to hit this guarantee.

Matt youmans had a great suggestion. A nfl contest where you have to pick 85 plays with a weekly minimum of like 2. Allows you to play more on weeks you like and less on others.