What are everyone's thoughts on raising the buy in for the WSOP main event?

I think they've got to do something to get the number of entrants in the WSOP main event to be less. It's too many people, takes too many days, etc. I'd push for raising the buy-in to $25,000-$50,000 and just hold more satellites around for those that can't afford it. This way when the actual tournament starts and you're committed to staying until it ends, you can get the whole thing over in a few days instead of the BS they have to do now. It might also help to separate out the dreamers from the players taking the WSOP seriously enough to earn a world championship.

Thoughts?

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: What are everyone's thoughts on raising the buy in for the WSOP main event?

I DISAGREE...................IF YOU WANT THE TITLE, YOU HAVE TO BEAT ALL COMERS........NOVICES...............SATELITTE WINNERS, PROS....THE WHOLE 9 YARDS..........

RAISING THE ENTRY FEE WOULD ELIMINATE MANY OF THE DREAMERS, BUT MIGHT PUT IT IN THE CATAGORY OF A TOURNAMENT THAT ONLY THE RICH COULD PLAY.................

The number of entries DID go down a little, didn't it??

Since it's supposed to be "The Granddaddy of them all" as far as poker goes, maybe it should be an Invitation-only event

Have average Joe's still play sateillites and qualify, but just have a limited number of them,, and then cap the field at a certain number. Then, invite the best players to fill the rest of the spots

texansfan

EOG Master

Poker's popularity soared precisely because of the average Joe's playing and winning the Main Event. They already have a 50K buy-in tournament. I ilke the fact that you start with 20K in chips now as opposed to the original 10K. I say keep the entry fee exactly where it is.

The Devil

EOG Master

The number of entries DID go down a little, didn't it??

Since it's supposed to be "The Granddaddy of them all" as far as poker goes, maybe it should be an Invitation-only event

Have average Joe's still play sateillites and qualify, but just have a limited number of them,, and then cap the field at a certain number. Then, invite the best players to fill the rest of the spots

HOW DO YOU DETERMINE WHO ARE THE BEST PLAYERS???

I HAVE FINISHED AHEAD OF FOSSILMAN IN A FEW TOURNIES........AND BEAT THE GUY WHO FINISHED 19TH IN LAST YEARS WSOP IN A HEAD TO HEAD MATCHUP.......SHOULD I GET AN INVITE????

Blackcloud

EOG Dedicated

How many entrants come from satellites? Seems like you could cut out some of these and the # of entrants would be reduced.

texansfan

EOG Master

How many entrants come from satellites? Seems like you could cut out some of these and the # of entrants would be reduced.

Poker wants these people and more to sit down and play. The ban did lessen the amount of total players in the Main Event last year though. Don't the poker sites now give you the money and expect you to use that to buy your own way in?

Poker wants these people and more to sit down and play. The ban did lessen the amount of total players in the Main Event last year though. Don't the poker sites now give you the money and expect you to use that to buy your own way in?

Yes, and 10K out in Vegas is a nice bankroll to do other things with than the WSOP.

purplepat

EOG Senior Member

I see no reason to change it. No reason at all that the so-called "nobodies" can't/couldn't/shouldn't win the tournament (and they do, and then some go on to be poker superstars). I'm sure there are actually a fair number of "nobodies" that post the $10,000 entry fee (rather than get there via a satellite)...for some people $10K is an affordable price for a once-in-a-lifetime thing like the WSOP (like some people would pay that kind of money for a fantasy baseball camp or the like). Increasing the buy-in would put it out of the reach of these kinds of players.

If you want to speed up the tournament, simply increase the blinds faster.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

As in many business facets, when you go bigger esp when money is The FACTOR, then you will lose fun and have dissension.

Squeeze

EOG Member

you can get the whole thing over in a few days instead of the BS they have to do now. It might also help to separate out the dreamers from the players taking the WSOP seriously enough to earn a world championship.

Thoughts?

The thing that made this event big is when an average joe won it so why now make the entry that high that the average joe can't pay up for it anymore. I totally disagree that when you make the entry fee higher that you seperate the dreamers from the serious players. I think you would probably get, even more then now, the rich folks that sign in with their wife, because they like to play once a week and it's so much fun and they enjoy to be watched by the media.

Also I think there is nothing wrong with the event that takes some more days, they have it in other sports too. The bs that has been going on there the last couple of years is just because the organization sucks. If they do a better job in this i am sure the tournament will do fine at this standard.

Someone mentioned increasing the blinds to make it less days. I think this would probably lead to a decrease of professionals signing up for this event, while the structure then would be a crapshoot even more.

My feelings: just keep it this way but do a much better job in organizing the event.

The Devil

EOG Master

The thing that made this event big is when an average joe won it so why now make the entry that high that the average joe can't pay up for it anymore. I totally disagree that when you make the entry fee higher that you seperate the dreamers from the serious players. I think you would probably get, even more then now, the rich folks that sign in with their wife, because they like to play once a week and it's so much fun and they enjoy to be watched by the media.

Also I think there is nothing wrong with the event that takes some more days, they have it in other sports too. The bs that has been going on there the last couple of years is just because the organization sucks. If they do a better job in this i am sure the tournament will do fine at this standard.

Someone mentioned increasing the blinds to make it less days. I think this would probably lead to a decrease of professionals signing up for this event, while the structure then would be a crapshoot even more.

My feelings: just keep it this way but do a much better job in organizing the event.

the last line says it all.......why not get 2 or 3 or even 4 places and run the first day with all playing for say 8 or 10 hours with those remaining advancing to 1 room?????

Your idea is basically what they've done w/ the HORSE tournament. A lot of the professionals have stated that's what they really want to win for bragging rights etc. Of course everyones ultimate goal is the Main Event for both financial and record purposes, but there's more skill in the HORSE. Main event is a lottery.