What do the Pittsburgh Pirates do at the deadline?

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
I wouldn’t want to be Neal Huntington right now.

Your team that’s supposed to be tanking is on track to win its 9th in a row and is only 5 out of a wildcard spot.

The schedule is brutal. After a 4 game set against the Mets next weekend, 28 out of the next 30 are against teams over .500. September is more forgiving.

No one is really talking about them as buyers OR sellers.

What do you do if you’re in Huntington’s shoes?

waco

EOG Dedicated
Re: What do the Pittsburgh Pirates do at the deadline?

There will be no playoffs for them. Owner sucks and im glad fans are staying away like they said they would.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

The last two times the Pirates made the postseason they ran into Madison Bumgarner and Jake Arrieta.

#OneAndDone

MrTop

EOG Master

I gave up in the 90's with the bucs. I was a big fan even never been to pitt.. When sid bream got thrown out at home my heart stopped. The owner is worthless. I wish MLB could force him out.

skinny

EOG Addicted

I gave up in the 90's with the bucs. I was a big fan even never been to pitt.. When sid bream got thrown out at home my heart stopped. The owner is worthless. I wish MLB could force him out.
I wish he got thrown out, unfortunetly he scored and the braves went to the world series.
Your right about the owner, he sucks.

MrTop

EOG Master

I wish he got thrown out, unfortunetly he scored and the braves went to the world series.
Your right about the owner, he sucks.

he played for the braves thats right. Long time ago. good call Skinny. I knew my heart stopped and brain. lol

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

They should sell but it’s very tough for management to throw in the towel with two months remaining and the team within shouting distance. I think they’ll do a half-hearted sell.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated

They should sell but it’s very tough for management to throw in the towel with two months remaining and the team within shouting distance. I think they’ll do a half-hearted sell.

I agree that that’s what they’ll end up doing, and that’s the worst possible option IMO. Either go for it or tear it down completely.

Huntington is a competent GM who has an incompetent boss.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Is it ever good to do anything half-hearted?

I didn't think so.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Fans deserve an effort by management to win....but please don’t turn into the Marlins....

Chi_Dorothy

EOG Dedicated

the team is NOT a real contender.

They just don't have the horses in terms of stud starting pitching, they do have alot of mediocre depth in 4th 5th type starters between their MLB and AAA roster.

They also have a ton of Depth in OF

they could be a bit of seller AND buyer

dump a guy like Polanco, Cervelli, maybe a Mercer or Moran, even Nova As they have guys to replace them with and not really miss a beat. (Kang, Diaz, Newman/Frazier/Kramer.

hopefully find a partner to trade with who wants a mixture of major league ready position players with some mid tier A ball type prospects in areas of needs exchanged for each team

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated

Make it a rain-shortened 10 straight.

Dickerson back in the leadoff spot has been a revelation. He needs to stay there.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated

Barring a big time comeback, will be 11 straight... they’re making one of the best teams in baseball look like a Triple A club. (And they’re doing it against the starters, not against the one weakness the Indians have in their bullpen.)

With each successive win, the optics of selling get worse and worse for the Pirates brass, especially given a fan base already disenchanted with management.

If they complete the sweep tomorrow I really don’t think they have a choice but to try and make a playoff run at this point.... it’s truly a fascinating dilemma.

Valuist

EOG Master

Here's the issue with the dump and rebuild: the Cubs have a young team and will be good for years. St. Louis is loaded with young pitching talent. The Brewers are a young team who's shown significant improvement in the last 2 years. Cincinnati? Take away April and they are at an around .500. The division is loaded. Lots of teams in rebuilding mode that are ahead of them: Atlanta, San Diego, White Sox, Philly. The NL is weak this year. The Cubs lineup is great but their starting pitching is shaky. St Louis finds ways to lose games they should win. The Nationals are a huge disappointment. The Dodgers may have righted the ship but needed to acquire Machado to really get one's confidence. The wildcard is wide open. They probably miss but right now the team is playing with a lot of confidence. The everyday lineup for Pitt isn't bad at all. There's a lot of variance in MLB. Might as well ride it while the iron is hot.

Valuist

EOG Master

Why not?

It does make the Rays acquistion of Pham even more odd.

Will the Yankees go after McCutcheon?

Valuist

EOG Master

The Braves are trying to get Gausman from the O's. Lots of players leaving the AL East for the NL.

MrTop

EOG Master

Why not?

mccutchen has some bat life but cannot play defense anymore #170 in majors . I agree, Looking at last 3 years mccutchen belongs in AL but Yankees cashman IMO would pass on the 31 y/o mccutchen based on defense.

kane

EOG master

Why not?

Pham is a pretty solid player, from what I've read there were off field issues with Pham and the Cardinals. A couple years ago it looked like the Cardinals outfield would be Pham, Grichuk, and Piscotty, now they're all gone

Valuist

EOG Master

Gausman to Atl is done, Schoop to Milw

Wow Baltimore apparently is going for the record (in terms of losses). I knew the Brewers were targeting Dozier, so apparently they had to shift course when the Dodgers got him. The Brewers are legit.

kane

EOG master

Wow Baltimore apparently is going for the record (in terms of losses). I knew the Brewers were targeting Dozier, so apparently they had to shift course when the Dodgers got him. The Brewers are legit.

I know they're loaded in the bullpen, but I'm surprised they didn't add a starter, I guess they didn't think there was a difference maker as far as starters go

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated

No one has mentioned Kela to the Pirates as well. They’re obviously intent on going for it.

The NL Central just became far-and-away the most interesting divisional race in all of baseball, and it’s not even close.

AL West a distant second (for now,) though I could see some serious Astros clubhouse issues coming in the future.

Brayden11

EOG Dedicated

I know they're loaded in the bullpen, but I'm surprised they didn't add a starter, I guess they didn't think there was a difference maker as far as starters go

My guess is they're more concerned with run production than run prevention and getting another starter who only helps them every 5 days was not appealing. If and it's a big if, when Davies and Nelson come back they're as good as anything that was out there and they don't have to give up any of their top tier prospects and they have plenty left. Getting rid of Villar in the Schoop deal was a blessing. The guy looks the part but is a mental midget between the lines.

Should be interesting lineup they put in the infield.