When Dickie V asked Barkley if he was a McDonald's All-American in high school?

parlaynow

EOG Dedicated
When I was at UK..loved talking with Charles before games in Rupp arena..
He loved the go go chocolate bars..great AU teams with chuck person
Loved his hc sonny smith

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I saw the two men talking but I was in a spot where there was no television volume.

Appararently, Vitale criticized Barkley when he was at Auburn and told him to wake up and take care of business OR lose millions of dollars in potential revenue.

Good advice from Dickie V.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
I'll bet he was fun to talk to. How are you going to guard him? if you belly up with him he can move you out of position without fouling and you just cannot push him back and get anywhere. He was from the day of back to the basket play and ten footers.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Of course, Barkley had a face-up game too.

I dislike NBA players who don't improve over time, especially the back-to-the-basket types who bully their way to the basket.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
He had both skill sets. If you guard him with a big guy he takes you outside a little and plays offense with his face to the basket and he could put the ball on the floor and drive left or right.

You guard him with a smaller - quicker guy - he goes underneath with his back to the basket and yells "mouse in the house".

He was a real good bully under the basket and could bump the defender off just enough to get his shot off without a foul being called.

Yesterday, when they talked about Zion - the query was whether he can play in the NBA like Charles? I saw him finish with his right hand but want to watch him more to see how much he can use his right hand on drives. Looked pretty dominant left handed on his moves so, maybe, NBA defenders would force him right???

Barkley was going to be on the 84 Olympic team. After the team roster was set in stone they had a team photo. Bobby Knight showed up wearing some white wing tipped shoes and Barkley kept mocking Knight for them. After the photo shoot, Knight immediately cut him.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Good story about Barkley, Heisenberg.

John Stockton, Karl Malone and Joe Dumars also were cut from the '84 Olympic team.

All four men (Barkley included) went on to earn Hall-of-Fame honors.

In 1988, I remember seeing Dan Majerle's name on the Olympic team roster and thinking, "Who is he?"

Good story about Barkley, Heisenberg.

John Stockton, Karl Malone and Joe Dumars also were cut from the '84 Olympic team.

All four men (Barkley included) went on to earn Hall-of-Fame honors.

In 1988, I remember seeing Dan Majerle's name on the Olympic team roster and thinking, "Who is he?"

Yeah that story was from the book A season on the brink if I remember correctly

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
There is good high school hoops on espn tmorrow starting at 11am with Ranney (nj) vs Federal Way who has an NBA 2020 top three pick (big man). Ranney has two studs.

kane

EOG master
Yeah that story was from the book A season on the brink if I remember correctly

I can't remember anything from it, but I read that book a long time ago, it was written by John Feinstein. There's a quote from Feinstein that has stuck with me to this day; after the book's release, Knight wasn't happy with some of it's content and called Feinstein a whore and a pimp, to which Feinstein replied "I wish he would make up his mind, so I'd know how to dress". I don't know why, but it's something I've always remembered

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Knight called Feinstein a pimp and a whore publicly which I'm sure was far more tame than what Knight called Feinstein privately.

Knight was a sensitive bully, the ultimate hypocrite.

Knight called Feinstein a pimp and a whore publicly which I'm sure was far more tame than what Knight called Feinstein privately.

Knight was a sensitive bully, the ultimate hypocrite.

Did you watch the Bobby Knight 30 for 30 JK? I thought it was excellent

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
I drove 8 hours to Kansas City once to see a Big 12 conference tournament. Got some great seats under one of the baskets. Bobby Knight was coaching Texas Tech at my end. Making halftime bets like crazy, Anyway, like going to a hockey game and hoping to be close up to a fight. I had hopes Knight would implode at the refs. BTW, he is a big guy - probably 6'6" & 250 lbs. He starts yipping at the ref about 3 steps out on the floor and his son Pat who was an assistant coach (also a pretty big guy) comes out - taps him on the right shoulder and bang Knight shuts up - comes back to the bench and sits down!

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
I saw that 30 for 30 and thought I could see some of his successful coaching techniques. The one that stuck out was pressure free throws. His players had to shoot with him yelling at them - calling them names - blowing a horn - and he told them ahead of time - if you can make free throws here with me yelling at you - then you can make them when we need them.