Where's the criticism on the play call that injured Patrick Mahomes?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Do you really want your $500 million quarterback running an option play on third-and-1 near midfield?

Kansas City is known for its numerous offensive weapons and countless number of creative plays.

The Chiefs were enjoying a nine-point lead at the time of the injury.

Besides, a gimpy Mahomes was nursing a sore toe most of the day.

Head coach Andy Reid gets a lot of praise from a lot of people, and rightfully so, but this call was clearly a major mistake.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Remember Seattle's play call which caused the Seahawks to lose Super Bowl XLIX to the Patriots?

That pass play near the goal line was nicknamed "Second and Dumb."

If the Chiefs fail to reach the Super Bowl this season because of Mahomes' physical condition, you can label yesterday's option play "Third and Dumb."

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Darrell Bevell was the offensive coordinator of the Seattle Seahawks at the time of the crushing Super Bowl loss.

Last edited:

MrTop

EOG Master
true mahomes is a tough QB but not tougher than the defensive players. With a 9 point lead a bad call for sure.

Do you really want your $500 million quarterback running an option play on third-and-1 near midfield?

Kansas City is known for its numerous offensive weapons and countless number of creative plays.

The Chiefs were enjoying a nine-point lead at the time of the injury.

Besides, a gimpy Mahomes was nursing a sore toe most of the day.

Head coach Andy Reid gets a lot of praise from a lot of people, and rightfully so, but this call was clearly a major mistake.
Great points.

Valuist

EOG Master
Which brings to mind another play where Reid was playing with fire......having Chad Henne throw the ball on 4th and 1. Yes, it was a short throw, and it did work out. But was it the RIGHT call? I wouldn't have done it. After the game I hear Reid heaped with praise. Very short sighted thinking.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Which brings to mind another play where Reid was playing with fire......having Chad Henne throw the ball on 4th and 1. Yes, it was a short throw, and it did work out. But was it the RIGHT call? I wouldn't have done it. After the game I hear Reid heaped with praise. Very short sighted thinking.

It was a brilliant call because it worked.

:)

But seriously, I liked it.

After all, it was one of the simplest passing plays in the book.

It was the same play the Chiefs used to close out the Saints on December 20 (Week 15).

I thought the smartest part about the play was the KC offense arrived at the line of scrimmage early enough to do two things: 1) Dupe the Browns into jumping offside and 2) Run the eventual game-clinching play.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Did Reid call the play or did Mahomes?

And what about the role of NFL head coaching prospect Eric Bieniemy in the play call?

Hmmm...

CBS Sports is reporting the prospects for Bieniemy landing one of 32 NFL head coaching jobs in early 2021 is looking bleak.

Thirty-two teams in the NFL but only four or five jobs available.

Last edited:

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Could've just handed it to Bell going north, south, or up the middle and we wouldn't be discussing Mahomes status for next week.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Could've just handed it to Bell going north, south, or up the middle and we wouldn't be discussing Mahomes status for next week.

Good point.

The play after Henne replaced Mahomes was a "Jet Left" to Darrel Williams which gained 12 yards.

Last edited:

BigDeemer

EOG Dedicated
It was a terrible call. If that doesn’t work, you give Browns 1/2 the field with 1:05 no TOs.

as a browns fan, I was praying they’d go for it

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
I wouldn't have gone for it either but according to edj spors twitter who is the authority on analytics
PHENOMENAL decision by Andy Reid to go for it there and put the game away!
The 4th and 1 GO increased the #Chiefs pre-snap GWC by 6.5% vs. a punt, even accounting for Henne at QB.

Last edited by a moderator:

boston massacre

EOG Master
Didn't Realize Henne was Their Backup.

Still Thought it was The Guy who Filled in Last Time Mahomes Missed Games Because of Injury.

Forget His Name, But He Did a Great Job.

Wondering if He is Still Playing or Retired.

boston massacre

EOG Master
Most Coaches Punt in That Situation.

Make Browns Go 80 + Yards, 1 Minute Left on Clock, No Timeouts, Needing T.D. To Win it.

I Pictured Mayfield Tossing a 50 Yard Hail Mary on Last Play.

richsox24

EOG Master
Why isn't anyone getting on the browns coach for punting with 4:20 left and 1 timeout on 4th and 8 at their own 30.

Worst case, you miss it, can still hold KC to a field goal and need a td to tie.

Punting with 1 timeout left is horrible imo. Even with Henne playing a bunch, KC punted yesterday as many times as John Kelly did and they only needed the1 first down to end the game.

What were they hoping for? To get thr ball with 2 min left at their own 20 with 2 min left and no timeouts?

BigDeemer

EOG Dedicated
Why isn't anyone getting on the browns coach for punting with 4:20 left and 1 timeout on 4th and 8 at their own 30.

Worst case, you miss it, can still hold KC to a field goal and need a td to tie.

Punting with 1 timeout left is horrible imo. Even with Henne playing a bunch, KC punted yesterday as many times as John Kelly did and they only needed the1 first down to end the game.

What were they hoping for? To get thr ball with 2 min left at their own 20 with 2 min left and no timeouts?

Rich it was a backup QB not Mahomes, you have to trust D

richsox24

EOG Master
Rich it was a backup QB not Mahomes, you have to trust D
I'd love to know the analytics on that exact scenario with browns only having 1 timeout.

Henne started 2 drives to that point. 1 led to a field goal and the other KC was moving it flawlessly up until an int in the end zone. KC is filled with play makers and im just never giving them the ball there, knowing even if I miss the 4th and 8, I can still get the ball needing a touchdown to tie.

KC didn't punt a single time all game, let alone go 3 and out which was clevelands only chance.

And bottom line, if KC picks up 1 single 1st down, whether it be from their own 30 or your 30, the game is over either way.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I'd love to know the analytics on that exact scenario with browns only having 1 timeout.

Henne started 2 drives to that point. 1 led to a field goal and the other KC was moving it flawlessly up until an int in the end zone. KC is filled with play makers and im just never giving them the ball there, knowing even if I miss the 4th and 8, I can still get the ball needing a touchdown to tie.

KC didn't punt a single time all game, let alone go 3 and out which was clevelands only chance.

And bottom line, if KC picks up 1 single 1st down, whether it be from their own 30 or your 30, the game is over either way.

Hmmm...

One timeout and, of course, the two-minute warning.

fifty cint

EOG Dedicated

I agree ,,,,, What was that stupid challenge as well.Time outs are gold in second half and have to be treated as such

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Timeouts are gold in the second half.

So true, FIFTY.

At times, I'd prefer a five-yard delay-of-game penalty than wasting a timeout.

And conversely, teams are too conservative with their use of first-half timeouts.

Valuist

EOG Master
Timeouts are gold in the second half.

So true, FIFTY.

At times, I'd prefer a five-yard delay-of-game penalty than wasting a timeout.

And conversely, teams are too conservative with their use of first-half timeouts.

Definitely take the 5 yard penalty to preserve the timeout. I've seen HoF QBs waste timeouts needlessly to save 5 yards.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Monday morning qb here - Henne in shotgun gave the appearance of the D thinking he was just trying to draw them offside, so they let up to avoid the penalty.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
Romo made a good point in the telecast that how big was it the Chiefs rested their starters in week 17?

That playing time could have only helped Henne.

Coming in cold in that late game situation would have been much tougher without week 17 for both Henne and the person who called the play,

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

Agree. This is a spot where Mahomes out hurt the Browns.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Romo made a good point in the telecast that how big was it the Chiefs rested their starters in week 17?

That playing time could have only helped Henne.

Coming in cold in that late game situation would have been much tougher without week 17 for both Henne and the person who called the play,

Romo makes a lot of good points.

I like his enthusiasm and personality, too.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Romo makes a lot of good points.

I like his enthusiasm and personality, too.

You Illinois guys stick together...Romo played QB at Eastern Illinois....his enthusiasm and personality matches all the EOG posters from Illinois who attended the Day at the Races in Arlington...and that includes Fair Warning who couldn’t attend...

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Romo at Eastern Illinois was a pick-up basketball legend and ping pong champion.

And EIU truly overachieved by putting both Tony Romo and Jimmy Garroppolo in the NFL.

Throw in head coaches Mike Shanahan, Sean Payton and Brad Childress and that's a record hard to match for a school with such a low-profile.

I will not deduct any points from the legacy of Eastern Illinois for producing current Bears GM Ryan Pace.

One EIU alum often lost in the crowd is longtime punter Jeff Gossett who enjoyed a 15-year NFL career with the Chiefs, Browns, Oilers and Raiders.