Who do you like in the Midsummer Derby?

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
Another great time at the SPA, was there on Fri & Sat for the Travers. Thought the track was ridiculous both days. Any off the pace types had absolutely no shot. Especially Fri when it was a no passing zone on the dirt, and turf wasn't much different.

Had a lousy day at the windows on Fri, but made up for it on Sat.

Fifty Cint was a late scratch but I sent him Glorious Empire in the Sword Dancer and exacta box with Channel Maker. That got the ball rolling. Then caught the double and Tri (boxed Good Magic- Vino- Mendelson-Bravazzo- Catholic Boy and then keyed Godd Magic in Top 2 slots) in the Travers.

I was standing in the paddock area right next to the tent where the NYRA show guys do their stuff and watching the horses for the Forego. I ended up standing next to Robert LaPenta's brother (Whitmore) who gave his Paddock pass to someone else as his daughers kept begging him to get in the ring. Next to LaPenta is some older woman in a white dress who ended up in the winners circle with Catholic Boy. I didn't bet Whitmore (cost me about a 5k pick4 and went 3 deep and heavier on City of Light ---singled Baffert in first leg ). She was talking about how well Catholic Boy was doing and I noticed that Welsch had given him a A- on one of his last works. So I ended up standing right next to 2 people that ended up in the winners circle in R9 & R11.

Saratoga is unlike any other place, jocks walking through the crowd, horses go to the paddock right thru the backyard picnic area, owners & trainers talking with fans. Dallas Stewart unveiled a monster maiden in the 1st (didn't have as he had bad 2yo numbers and was 0-9 at SAR up to then), then about 5 races later is walkng around the grandstand/clubhouse just like a patron. Place is fabulous.

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
trytrytry;n7452676 said:
MR LaPenta has some fun and nice looking daughters.

I was wishing I was 35 yrs younger walking around on Sat.

On Friday a couple of filly's past breeding age (my age) couldn't figure out if they had a winning ticket. I couldn't figure out if they were just looking for someone to party with, real flirty types with the words & hands, but my wife/son were about 100 yds away and my wedding ring no longer fits on my chubby fingers, but I could have got in a lot of trouble on Friday if I was a single guy. Maybe they just wanted to rob me.

I think Saratoga is one big party for a lot of people.