Who is playing the races today?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Attended the races last Friday at Fonner Park.

I'd place Fonner Park somewhere between a bush track and a mid-tier track.

I've always appreciated Chris Kotulak's work, starting with his race-calling days at Hollywood Park.

Kotulak now serves as the General Manager of Fonner Park.

Who hosted the late-afternoon show broadcasting Fonner's feature race on a local Grand Island radio station?

You guessed it, Chris Kotulak.

Kotulak deserved high marks last spring when he fired up Fonner Park's meet at a time when horseplayers were looking for races to bet.

The Fonner Park handle jumped incredibly because of Kotulak's swift action.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
War Front out of a Rahy mare. Great for both dirt and grass.

Never claimed to be a breeding expert but I always chuckle when I hear TVG handicapping analysts discuss bloodlines in a $5,000 claiming race.

Forget the mother or father in these cheap races and simply pray every horse makes it around the track safely.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
When are you equine experts going to begin Derby 2021 discussions. Soon, I hope.

Don't claim to be an equine expert but trainer John Sadler had Rock Your World ready for his dirt debut in the Santa Anita Derby.

If you scored with Sadler's horse in the Santa Anita Derby at odds of 5/1, it becomes easy to wheel back and bet him in the Kentucky Derby at the same price or higher.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
lower price now Joel announced as jockey

Indeed.

Rosario bumps Rispoli.

Joel Rosario won the Kentucky Derby with Orb in 2013.

Rock Your World never looked like a loser in the Santa Anita Derby.

Five-to-one as they broke from the gate and one-to-five as they raced down the backstretch.

Last edited:

MrTop

EOG Master
start putting up match ups you will have more people than the 5 at the races now. I always liked the stats paper that the races gave out. Sports are all over the place. Sports needs a solid ATS site.

Valuist

EOG Master
Never claimed to be a breeding expert but I always chuckle when I hear TVG handicapping analysts discuss bloodlines in a $5,000 claiming race.

Forget the mother or father in these cheap races and simply pray every horse makes it around the track safely.

When the form is established, the breeding is irrelevant. But the instance I cited earlier from Saturday was a horse making its first start on dirt, and it thrived on it.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
When the form is established, the breeding is irrelevant. But the instance I cited earlier from Saturday was a horse making its first start on dirt, and it thrived on it.

Understood.

First on dirt is understandable, first try on turf is an even bigger handicapping angle for some.