Why hockey is the best sport

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Re: why hockey is best sport

There have been a lot of rules to promote scoring, more subtle though.

railbird

EOG Master

nba should have more offensive fouls, less defensive fouls, more traveling calls.

railbird

EOG Master

hang on rim call a tech, if someone below or not.

railbird

EOG Master

make 3s 2.5 make dunks 1.5. the dumbshit fans will get use to it eventually

railbird

EOG Master

have 4 qtrs. in college hoop, but you don't lose possession because of buzzer bell including halftime buzzer

alfie

EOG Dedicated

no stupid rules to promote scoring. I like totals 5 and not 7.

they did change rules for more scoring. the center red line was removed that now allows a 2 line pass.

old time hockey was better.....

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

make 3s 2.5 make dunks 1.5. the dumbshit fans will get use to it eventually

How about make shots between 3-10 feet 1.8, Shots between 10-14 feet 2 and shots between 14-21 feet 2.2 ? And opposite had dunks make 1.6? Fucking Railbird.

Valuist

EOG Master

I'm convinced the powers that be in the major sports think everyone else is dumber than a box of rocks. That the general public is incapable of following a sporting event if there isn't absurd scoring. And for what? That the casual observer is all of a sudden going to turn into a rabid fan? That isn't going to happen. The casual fans are never going to be a major revenue source.

How many hundreds of years has soccer been popular around the world with many 1-0 scores?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

I'm convinced the powers that be in the major sports think everyone else is dumber than a box of rocks. That the general public is incapable of following a sporting event if there isn't absurd scoring. And for what? That the casual observer is all of a sudden going to turn into a rabid fan? That isn't going to happen. The casual fans are never going to be a major revenue source.

That is what they are counting on, the casual fan converting.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Then they (the powers that be) are the ones dumber than the box of rocks.

This is the NHL mentality by expanding into the south. They figure the Canadian market is maxed out.

kane

EOG master

that too, eliminate dunk, shot clock 45.

I agree. I also think they should take down the rims and hang up peach baskets, and make all the players wear Chuck Taylor's

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated

This is the NHL mentality by expanding into the south. They figure the Canadian market is maxed out.

Not sure I agree with the NHL's stance here. Quebec City, Halifax, Hamilton and Regina could all potentially support teams.

railbird

EOG Master

What white males over 40 watch. Golf nfl ncaabb. Tennis. What filipinos and chicanos watch. Nba

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Not sure I agree with the NHL's stance here. Quebec City, Halifax, Hamilton and Regina could all potentially support teams.

NHL a saying they are watching HNIC and TSN already, where Vegas isn't watching NBCSN. Put a team there and hope. It would be similar to the NFL expanding to London and Mexico City over San Diego.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

have 4 qtrs. in college hoop, but you don't lose possession because of buzzer bell including halftime buzzer

They will be going to that soon in Men's game. The try new stuff in Women's games than bring it to Men's games if it goes well

Bushay

NHL Expert

NHL a saying they are watching HNIC and TSN already, where Vegas isn't watching NBCSN. Put a team there and hope. It would be similar to the NFL expanding to London and Mexico City over San Diego.
What exactly is your point here FW?

Bushay

NHL Expert

Not as well as Vegas, Kansas City or Seattle according to the NHL people doing the research. I don't believe the NHL believes their is enough corporate sponsorship to support teams in those towns. Vegas and KC are slam dunks imo.

railbird

EOG Master

Vegas white population hasn't grown much. and in hockey its all white fans. Its amazing how most duck fans are from South Orange County. where angel fan is from corona or Anaheim.

Hangover

EOG Dedicated

Arenas and staduims would be empty for most games during regular seasons if not for casual fans....

Bushay

NHL Expert

White population doesn't need to grow anymore for it to be a success. They have enough now as it stands. All they need is to be intraduced to the game and put a winner on the ice and a relatively short amount of time. Any slack will be picked up,from the out of town tourist wanting to see their team in Vegas.

railbird

EOG Master

White population doesn't need to grow anymore for it to be a success. They have enough now as it stands. All they need is to be intraduced to the game and put a winner on the ice and a relatively short amount of time. Any slack will be picked up,from the out of town tourist wanting to see their team in Vegas.

most teams don't have a fan base. only 7 or so teams have a fan base

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
Re: Why hockey is the best sport

Not as well as Vegas, Kansas City or Seattle according to the NHL people doing the research. I don't believe the NHL believes their is enough corporate sponsorship to support teams in those towns. Vegas and KC are slam dunks imo.

Never thought about KC. Interesting.

Infrastructure is already in place there so it would make sense.

Bushay

NHL Expert

Never thought about KC. Interesting.

Infrastructure is already in place there so it would make sense.
They have everything but a stadium. But they'd slap one up in no time if awarded a hockey team. They support baseball and football well. An NHL team would sell out faster then Vegas.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated

They have everything but a stadium. But they'd slap one up in no time if awarded a hockey team. They support baseball and football well. An NHL team would sell out faster then Vegas.

The existing Sprint Center wouldn't work?

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

The NHL desperately wants Seattle but Seattle doesn't want the NHL. NHL would love to have a team there and create a new market and have a rivalry with Vancouver. Seattle would go into the Pacific which would make 9 while Central had 7 - so it would be interesting to see how they would make 8/8.

Locks to stay in Pacific would be: LA/SJ/Ana/Vegas/Seat/Vanc...........AZ/Cal/Edm are the Wild Cards. Could see AZ moved to Central - kicking and screaming because they would lose out on the CA/NV rivalry...............Could also see Cal/Edm moved to Central and CO into Pacific

Bushay

NHL Expert

The existing Sprint Center wouldn't work?
I'm sure if they needed an arena to play in before a new one was built, but I'm sure I heard they would need a new arena. Lifespan of an arena isn't all that long these days as time passed, new and better always comes along and makes it ecomically better to just build a new one. Especially for a brand new team. Not sure how old the Sprint center is. You may know better than me. I remember walking into joe Louis arena on day one here in Detroit and the new little ceasers arena opens this fall. The joe was the oldest and most out dated arena in the league these last couple years and they built it just before the luxury boxes because so popular and profitable for an arena. They put them in the top of the building. Now the luxury boxes are damn near at ice or court level and rightly so. Who wants to pay that kind of money to watch a game in the Nosebleeds?

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_Center

Turns out it's only 10 years old, and it seats over 17,000 for hockey. Given its age I'm sure it meets current luxury box requirements. I thought the Sprint Center and the old Kemper Arena were one and the same, with Sprint simply purchasing naming rights. I was wrong.

The article linked is interesting. Apparently KC has made a run at numerous NHL franchises over the years including the Preds and Penguins.

That's a pretty large facility to just be sitting there with no professional team or major D-1 school for a tenant...

alfie

EOG Dedicated

not sure, but not many cities that lost a pro team ever get another of the same sport.