WNBA 2019

choslamshe

EOG Master
Excited for the season.

Always do pretty well and this year is going to be fun.

Ton of parity among the teams.

Some new homes for some stars.

JK - what say you?

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Cannot believe Las Vegas acquired Liz Cambage from Dallas.

The Aces understandably are now favored to win the 2019 WNBA title.

Chiney Ogwumike joins her sister Nneka in Los Angeles and Derek Fisher is the new head coach of the Sparks.

No Candace Parker (torn meniscus) for the first six weeks of the season.

Let's use this thread to discuss WNBA action all summer long.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Sparks will be tough. I'm just not sure how good Fisher is coaching broads. If the coach the Sparks had the past few years was still there I think they could win it all. Now - not so sure. West Finals should be Vegas-LA

FWIW everything I have seen has the Mystics and EDD favored to win it all (Or HAD - until recently)

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I've never paid more than $15 to attend a WNBA game and that's why the ladies don't command, better yet receive, the dollars paid to the men.

The ladies command it, but no one is listening.

Or more precisely, no one is watching the games, live or televised.

You only eat what you kill, as it should be.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Sparks will be tough. I'm just not sure how good Fisher is coaching broads. If the coach the Sparks had the past few years was still there I think they could win it all. Now - not so sure. West Finals should be Vegas-LA

FWIW everything I have seen has the Mystics and EDD favored to win it all (Or HAD - until recently)

No more West Finals, Wink, with the new playoff format.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Mystics were 5/2 before the Cambage trade to Las Vegas.

Now the Aces are 5/2 and the Mystics are +391.

Prices at CRIS.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The new head coach in Chicago, James Wade, is CLUELESS.

I like the Sky roster but I dislike the new coaching staff.

I will be looking to fade the Sky as home favorites.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Maya Moore is sitting out the 2019 WNBA season and so the Lynx are 25/1 to win the title.

She announced her decision in an article first published in The Players' Tribune.

She will sit out the season to focus on her faith.

The Lynx also will be without point guard Lindsay Whalen who retired following the 2018 season.

Only three players from last year's team -- Sylvia Fowles, Seimone Augustus and Danielle Robinson -- return from last year's roster.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I will look to play the Lynx early in the season if the market downgrades Minnesota significantly.

Reeve will get her team to overachieve.

choslamshe

EOG Master
Interested to see how/if some of this years draft class assume decent size roles right from the get-go.

With Azura and Skyker shelved in conjunction with the departure of Liz, hard to see how Dallas can compete.

Will NY establish a consistent starting 5? Nurse really looks to have taken a next step but with Boyd, Hartley, et al., interesting to see if they can get consistent with their minutes or does it remain a game-to-game crapshoot?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
So many stars on the sidelines to start the 2019 WNBA season.

Year 23 and the league is still floundering.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Two WNBA head coaches -- Cheryl Reeve and Mike Thibault -- have as much time served with their current team as the 10 other head coaches combined.

Newbies this season include James Wade in Chicago, Derek Fisher in Los Angeles and Brian Agler in Dallas.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Interested to see how/if some of this years draft class assume decent size roles right from the get-go.

With Azura and Skyker shelved in conjunction with the departure of Liz, hard to see how Dallas can compete.

Will NY establish a consistent starting 5? Nurse really looks to have taken a next step but with Boyd, Hartley, et al., interesting to see if they can get consistent with their minutes or does it remain a game-to-game crapshoot?

Dallas rookie Arike Ogunbowale reminds me of a young Cappie Pondexter.

They're both mad gunners.

If she's open, she's shooting.

Ogunbowale took a team-high 16 shots in her pro debut and scored only 12 points in 20 minutes of play.

Also four fouls and only one assist.

Ogunbowale will have issues adjusting to the size and speed of the WNBA.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Phoenix Mercury assistant coach Todd Troxel earlier this year was fired by the team for disorderly conduct and misdemeanor assault.

As I hear it, he and his fiancée had a verbal dispute which escalated into a physical altercation.

1558759661837.png

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Opening Day attendance report:

Atlanta - 3,070

New York - 1,965

And the ladies cry for more money.

Ridiculous.

..................and you can be 100% sure those numbers were NOT actual attendance but tix distributed. I wont say "sold" since of that NY attendance I can promise you the actual number of tix SOLD was far less than 1,965

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Owners are likely to publish hurtful attendance numbers this season because the players are opting out of their Collective Bargaining Agreement at season's end.

It's no coincidence the WNBA just hired as its newest commissioner a woman with accounting experience, not marketing experience.

The players and the league are in trouble.

choslamshe

EOG Master
Excited to see Diamond Deshields year 2. If Chicago had anything up front, their backcourt is as solid as they come.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
Any thoughts on Sophie Cunningham who was drafted by the Phoenix Mercury? Does she figure in the mix for them? If she does, are they an improved team with her presence?

She's apparently a fierce competitor who was the emotional leader of University of Missouri's women's basketball team. I would appreciate your guys thoughts.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Excited to see Diamond Deshields year 2. If Chicago had anything up front, their backcourt is as solid as they come.

Love the combination of Courtney Vandersloot and Allie Quigley.

Ready for this?

They love each other too.

Vandersloot and Quigley got married last December.

No wonder they work so well together on the court.

Too bad Delle Donne wanted out of Chicago.

I like Diamond Deshields too.

Guard skills in a forward's frame.

Deshields's father and brother (Delino and Delino Jr.) were MLB players.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Any thoughts on Sophie Cunningham who was drafted by the Phoenix Mercury? Does she figure in the mix for them? If she does, are they an improved team with her presence?

She's apparently a fierce competitor who was the emotional leader of University of Missouri's women's basketball team. I would appreciate your guys thoughts.

I don't follow the ladies until they make the WNBA.

Cunningham was one of four 2019 draftees who made the Mercury's opening-day roster.

Looks like the Mercury cut fan favorite Leilani Mitchell to keep Cunningham.

Only 12 players per team and Phoenix had 14 players in their camp who were WNBA-quality.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
Looks like the Mercury cut fan favorite Leilani Mitchell to keep Cunningham.

If I'm interpreting you correctly, Cunningham appears to be an upgrade over Mitchell -- is that right? Was Mitchell any good or just a fan favorite similar to 'hustling' Rex Hudler back in the day with the St. Louis Cardinals?

Did any other team pick Mitchell up?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Not yet.

Mitchell is a 10-year pro but seriously undersized.

Cunningham went scoreless (missing her only two shots, both 3-pointers) in 11 minutes of play in her pro debut today in Seattle.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Announced attendance at the Angel of the Wings Arena for the Mercury-Storm game was 8,500.

With the round number of 8.500, I'll assume the attendance was an estimate.

choslamshe

EOG Master
What a game from Natasha Howard. Jordin Canada looks to have taken a next step as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Rookie Napheesa Collier with her best Maya Moore impersonation in Minnesota's 89-71 win over Chicago.

Collier finished with 27 points on only 10 shots.

Also keep an eye on fellow rookie forward Jessica Shepard, a Notre Dame product with a fabulous floor game.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
And here's why the WNBA Draft is so critical.

The Chicago Sky could have drafted Napheesa Collier and Jessica Shepard and instead, they drafted Katie Lou Samuelson two spots ahead of Collier and Chloe Jackson one spot ahead of Shepard.

And that's why the Lynx are the Lynx and the Sky are the Sky.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
And here's why the WNBA Draft is so critical.

The Chicago Sky could have drafted Napheesa Collier and Jessica Shepard and instead, they drafted Katie Lou Samuelson two spots ahead of Collier and Chloe Jackson one spot ahead of Shepard.

And that's why the Lynx are the Lynx and the Sky are the Sky.

Never understood that. Katie Lou #4 overall? Maybe they saw something in her none of us have? The FACT she is NOT a "winner" at all has to speak volumes. Sky get bloooooooooooowed out by 18