Would you consider JK a tout?

Timetopay

EOG Master
Re: Would you consider JK a tout?

man im glad i gave ya that point for being multi forum poster cause no one would have a clue what was going on:btj:

jfhst18

EOG Veteran

Tuck posed an interesting question....and it was answered quite admirably by most posters...

That's how I see it. The question invited posters to define tout, and as in all questions of definition there's a range of plausible ideas some of which are going to be in conflict.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I attended the same high school (Thornwood High in South Holland, Illinois) as former MLB pitcher Steve Trout.

railbird

EOG Master

everyone has a price. If JK was offered 300K a yr to be a tout he would be and so would every tout basher here.:lock:

Timetopay

EOG Master

$200 and a reach around from ballwonder and Kinger has his 900 number and and play of the year ready

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

everyone has a price. If JK was offered 300K a yr to be a tout he would be and so would every tout basher here.:lock:

For 300K, I may be tempted do something worse than enter the tout business.

BigDaddy

EOG Master

JK has a great record of posted plays

if he wanted to make money with his plays he should be able to.

munson15

I want winners...

I attended the same high school (Thornwood High in South Holland, Illinois) as former MLB pitcher Steve Trout.
Reminds me of a story from back in the late 80's when Lou Piniella was managing the Yankees, and the late owner George Steinbrenner called him excitedly to tell him, "Lou, I just won us the pennant, I got Steve Trout for you!":LMAO

Timetopay

EOG Master

Never forget my boy Trout in the rotation with Sutcliffe,Eck,Sanderson

Fuck Steve Garvey

railbird

EOG Master

How much did your tout business generate last year, Birdman?

not much, maybe 10K. which comes out to 10bucks an hour. I do it more for the camradrie of my clients than for the money. I stop posting my plays for a week at the Rx, and couple of guys offer me$ just like Bernie did with JK. He said thanks to you I paid for my kids private school on your advice, so start a tout buisness for me, so I did. --- I am a "small buisness owner" which means I am an American hero. I was taught in school that cops and fireman are heros? but why? I just have to pay for their pension while they eat doughnuts and go on hunting trips and alcholic. Nobody pays for my pension. Not as a ticket scalper or a tout. If everyone was me, this country would be thriving and not in debt, not 5 dollar gas. I am the HERO. and ask Bernie and other clients. I win baby. I am the hero, not the professor with long hair making 200K and sucking off the state all while teaching lies and propoganda. Railbird wins.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Birdie would have sold a lot of tickets as a heel in professional wrestling.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

not much, maybe 10K. which comes out to 10bucks an hour. I do it more for the camradrie of my clients than for the money. I stop posting my plays for a week at the Rx, and couple of guys offer me$ just like Bernie did with JK. He said thanks to you I paid for my kids private school on your advice, so start a tout buisness for me, so I did. --- I am a "small buisness owner" which means I am an American hero. I was taught in school that cops and fireman are heros? but why? I just have to pay for their pension while they eat doughnuts and go on hunting trips and alcholic. Nobody pays for my pension. Not as a ticket scalper or a tout. If everyone was me, this country would be thriving and not in debt, not 5 dollar gas. I am the HERO. and ask Bernie and other clients. I win baby. I am the hero, not the professor with long hair making 200K and sucking off the state all while teaching lies and propoganda. Railbird wins.

I rest my case....:btj:

J

joeybagadonuts

The saddest part is this clown probably actually believes what he wrote.
:shoot:

munson15

I want winners...

Joey, I've spent half my morning trying to figure out what Bird does to keep gas prices down.:blink:

ComptrBob

EOG Master

I think there's plenty of extraneous opinions here so I'll take a stab at a definition of sports tout:

A sports tout is someone who derives remuneration by publishing sports selections.

I would say that the form of remuneration is really irrelevant, whether it be from all or a percentage of subscriber fees, all or a portion of a salary, indirectly from advertising revenue at a forum, or from other potential gains such as ownership of the tout business.

This definition doesn't take into account if the tout is a "nice guy or a sleazeball", whether he works hard or not, whether he wins or loses, whether he has passed up other "tout" opportunites or whether he uses fair and widely available lines to measure his performance.

So we have "hardcore" touts who devote all of their activities to the tout business of selling picks and others who have other jobs and only indirectly benefit from giving out selections. Not all touts are bad and not all touts are losers.

So as far as I am concerned, any paid moderator or contributor to a forum who posts selections should probably be considered a sports tout unless it is made clear that his picks are completely independent of his forum remuneration and those picks are not advertised in any special way on the forum.

So despite that I think JK is doing an exceptional job managing EOG, the radio show, the contests, etc., I think he is a "partial tout", because clearly his selections are highlighted on EOG in his blogs and radio show, they are an important part of the EOG content and if they aren't part of his remuneration, they should be. ... LOL

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

A partial tout?

No such thing, in my opinion.

How can you be a partial tout or a partial prostitute or partially pregnant?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

If EOG were a paid site or if the radio show charged an access fee (like ESPNInsider), I could see the classification as "tout."

But free is free and I've never charged anyone or plan to charge anyone $25 a month or $99 a month for selections or $2,500 for a handicapping seminar.

munson15

I want winners...

I consider a tout one who is paid directly for his opinions. No grey area in my definition, and taking into account that most posters have a decidely negative feeling toward touts, I refuse to lump JK in with that group. When he had the chance to take money for his advice, he turned it down. That cements it for me. Just my .02. :cheers

Timetopay

EOG Master

still think if the audience is big enough plenty of reason why you could give out opposite side of a few games.

but what do i know

Heim

EOG Master

"This is not a picks site"~Steve Fezzik (circa 2011)

Trying to help JK out with some tout defenses

Timetopay

EOG Master

not accused

he admitted to doing it multiple times in his confession thread.

And he wasnt even backed by a book at that point.

ComptrBob

EOG Master

A partial tout?

No such thing, in my opinion.

How can you be a partial tout or a partial prostitute or partially pregnant?

Ok, how about "part-time" then?

Its clear to me that from the beginning with the Winning Wednesday show, part of your remuneration was due to selection part of the show. It is irrelevant what others charge or that the site is "free". What matters is if you are compensated at least in part for giving selections.

Again, touting itself is just an economic event, in this case, it drives some business to the site.

Timetopay

EOG Master

who ever this "unknown" question asker was really opened up a hornets nest on ole JK:btj:

ComptrBob

EOG Master

"This is not a picks site"~Steve Fezzik (circa 2011)

Trying to help JK out with some tout defenses

This is, of course, nonsense by Fezzik and AC. Fezzik's and Alf's records from the past years and contests are plastered as advertising all over the site.

It goes to my point that the method of payment is irrelevant, whether masked by a forum subscription fee or advertiser revenue, its still touting.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

still think if the audience is big enough plenty of reason why you could give out opposite side of a few games.

but what do i know

It's been done in the past but I would never stoop so low.

I want to win but not like that.

Heim

EOG Master

The bigger question imo is why has 'Tuckman' all of a sudden gone 'rogue'?.....He was
a nice company man not too long ago.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I consider a tout one who is paid directly for his opinions. No grey area in my definition, and taking into account that most posters have a decidely negative feeling toward touts, I refuse to lump JK in with that group. When he had the chance to take money for his advice, he turned it down. That cements it for me. Just my .02. :cheers

A valuable two cents.

Thanks for your opinion, Mike.