Wow...SDST/CREIGHTON Ref Had Some Cajones....

Heim

EOG Master
These kids work their asses off in the summer to get in a position to get to FF. Practices, film room...that contact didn't affect the shot. Straight as a arrow, just short.

kane

EOG master
It was clearly a foul, the Creighton defender got beat badly off the dribble, the Aztec player gets past him and rises up for the shot, the Creighton defender puts his had on his hip possibly altering the shot attempt, that gets called every time, if you guys are going to complain about the refs, at least let the call be egregious. BTW, I'm someone who was sitting with a Creighton +2400 future, no way I'm blaming the ref, I'm blaming the kid from Creighton who got beat like a fucking drum on the play

Heim

EOG Master
What they're not talking about in these situations, the score matters.

If State was down two, I can see Creighton getting a unfair advantage. Call it. Score tied, you don't hand a Final Four bid on a silver platter.

kane

EOG master
the score matters.
Completely disagree, makes no difference what the score is, if there's an obvious foul it should be called, I don't like when refs make calls at the end of close games, but the Creighton defender clearly grabbed the guy's hip as he rises up to shoot it, and kept it there the whole time it wasn't like some incidental contact, he made a bad defensive play and it cost his team

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
They should have just let them play like they were all game long. If it goes to OT nobody is crying about that being a foul. OT to decide it. Not the zebras.

kane

EOG master
If State was down 2 I can see Creighton getting a unfair advantage. Call it.
C'mon Heim, this take is ridiculous, if they were down 2 then it's a foul, but tied it isn't? What if they trailed by 3, is it a foul then? I know you had a future on the Jays, as did I, and I was pissed when the whistle blew, after watching the replay, I redirected my anger from the ref to the kid who committed the foul

kane

EOG master
They should have just let them play like they were all game long. If it goes to OT nobody is crying about that being a foul. OT to decide it. Not the zebras.
The zebras didn't decide it, the kid from Creighton did, first he gets beat off the dribble, which you should never allow in that spot, force the offense to shoot it from the outside, you can't get beat off the dribble in the final seconds, then he compounded his mistake by grabbing the guy's hip

Heim

EOG Master
I don't like calls of this magnitude when the other team doesn't have a opportunity to respond. With one second left it better be egregious, obvious based on what's at stake, not to mention a ton of money to a team's respective conference for advancing.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
The zebras didn't decide it, the kid from Creighton did, first he gets beat off the dribble, which you should never allow in that spot, force the offense to shoot it from the outside, you can't get beat off the dribble in the final seconds, then he compounded his mistake by grabbing the guy's hip

YES!
YES!
OMFG YES!

Ref did not decide the game. The kid who committed the foul did. If he lets that go and SDSU loses in OT they will go back and look at that play and say they were robbed. AND THEY WOULD BE RIGHT!

The #1 thing hammered home to me in my very first Ref meeting my first year: If you would call something in the first few seconds of the game you must call it the last few seconds.

That was a foul!

I had a call like this once: Tie game in the dying seconds. Home team inbounded the ball having to go the length of the court. This means the clock is my responsibility. Kid brings the ball down and home team gets off a shot - but misses. Visiting team kid gets the ball and is between the defensive 3-point line and midcourt, still on his side of the court. Realistically he only has a few more dribbles before he has to hoist up a shot from halfcourt. Until a kid from the home team (who was between the visiting player and midcourt) very clearly slides to his right to get in the kid's way. It was the easiest block/charge I have ever had to make. I hated to do it but I had no choice but to call a foul, even though I knew the 2 FT (Visiting team was in the Bonus situation) would probably see the visiting team win. I blow my whistle and call a foul with 2-ish seconds left. Know what the reaction was of the home team players/coach/fans.............NOTHING! They knew I was 100% right. Kid missed 1st FT, made the 2nd and visitors won by 1. Over a decade later it remains one of the very few calls I recall all aspects of it.

In this case, don't blame the official. Blame the player. He KNEW WHAT HE WAS TRYING TO DO! Blame the Creighton player for panicking like that.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

If State was down two, I can see Creighton getting a unfair advantage. Call it. Score tied, you don't hand a Final Four bid on a silver platter.
Players are going to take advantage any chance they get at the end, it puts the pressure on the ref.

railbird

EOG Master
thats a 2023 foul, any year before 2020 that is not called, lots of woke refs these days. that ref would not have called that foul in the 1st half, he had a chance to play God and he did.

railbird

EOG Master
Completely disagree, makes no difference what the score is, if there's an obvious foul it should be called, I don't like when refs make calls at the end of close games, but the Creighton defender clearly grabbed the guy's hip as he rises up to shoot it, and kept it there the whole time it wasn't like some incidental contact, he made a bad defensive play and it cost his team
never grabbed him, nudged him, light push,.

railbird

EOG Master
refs missed 2 calls on inbounds, with 1.7 . NOBODY caught the foot fault on the inbound qb pass and then there was 0.2 left when ball hit the ground, time enough for a tip in

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
It was a good play by the kid especially since what the coach called went completely bust.

Like Mahomes at the end of the Cincy game this kid put him and his team in the best chance to win and it worked.

Being aggressive and going to the rack with it has been what kids are taught since I played 40 years ago......

You make things happen when you're aggressive at the end of games. Props to the ref for having the balls to call it.

BTW hard to be completely objective when you have a vested interest, the Mahomes play cost me dearly but grudgingly admit it was the right call.

The right thing was done IMO, we move on.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
I'll never be a fan of call the game according to the score.

Coaches don't teach players to play the game that way nor should they.

You have almost 40 minutes to keep yourselves away from being in that position, that's where your focus should be for next time.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
FAU BABY 👶

It's written in the stars.

Texas UConn gonna beat up on each other then get smacked in the mouth during championship game.

Fau gonna light this shit SD State team up.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Will be interested in seeing the career arc/path of the official involved in the controversial call.

Will he be promoted or demoted for his judgment?

I side with KANE over HEIM in this discussion, but I see both sides of the argument.

This situation was similar to the PI call in last month's Super Bowl.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Clark Kellogg made a good point about the call.

Refs have to protect the shooter in the air.

Of course, if you make that call on a player in a pick-up game, you'll have everyone arguing for at least five minutes.

One line I use to resolve disputes at the local Y: Respect the call, let's go.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
KANE made the winning point about the Creighton defender (Nembhard) getting beat off the dribble and failing to recover the proper way.

Tsk tsk.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Will be interested in seeing the career arc/path of the official involved in the controversial call.

Will he be promoted or demoted for his judgment?

I side with KANE over HEIM in this discussion, but I see both sides of the argument.

This situation was similar to the PI call in last month's Super Bowl.

It can only benefit him. I promise you his higher-ups lauded him for making the call.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

This is clearly incorrect. You can't let the score dictate how you call a game. You have to call what you see as a ref no matter the situation.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
This is clearly incorrect. You can't let the score dictate how you call a game. You have to call what you see as a ref no matter the situation.

If anyone has to adjust to a late-game situation, it's the players not the referees.

You must defend without fouling.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!
If anyone has to adjust to a late-game situation, it's the players not the referees.

You must defend without fouling.

If I was allowed the same leeway all game as a defender, I’m doing the same thing at that moment.

The debate to me about this call was did it fit the context that the crew established prior? Only 11 fouls and 17 FT’s to that point says maybe not.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
If I was allowed the same leeway all game as a defender, I’m doing the same thing at that moment.

The debate to me about this call was did it fit the context that the crew established prior? Only 11 fouls and 17 FT’s to that point says maybe not.
Can make this case for sure.