Didi ...is best player

They need Hicks back

Sanchez struggling BIG time

Gardner I like but overrated

How old is Torreyes?

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Re: Yankees ugly

Judge K'S a lot but he also walks a lot. He was 3rd in the majors in OBP (.422) last year. He didn't even put the ball in play in half his plate appearances, and still managed 52hr, 114rbi, 128runs. He's a decent OF with a good arm and makes 600k a year. I will take that any day.

The team was one game from the World Series last year and now have Gray, Kahnle, Robertson for the full year and have Stanton as well.

They also have their #1 prospect who will be up in the majors at some point this year.

Don't forget- Yanks have money and prospects to go out and get whoever, pitching?, they want to help them this year.

You can't predict injuries (Bird, Hicks, Ellsbury). Well, I guess you can predict Ellsbury!

I hate the Yanks, but they are in a good position.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated

Hard to tell these days. I would like to see these managers just go with their gut and make decisions. There is so much of the analytics, sabermetrics and "what does the book say", that these managers don't want to be second guessed for making a decision. Plus, in the AL, you don't even have to worry about the pitcher hitting, double switches etc. Seems like they are paying these guys to fill out a line up card, and you know the Yankee brass chimes in on that as well. He may be a players manager and relate well with the players which is good. I mean, anything less than a long run in the playoffs and I assume the season would be considered a failure.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

aaron boone will not lead this team to even a playoff berth. team is dysfunctional. a bunch of #3 starters isn't going to get it done. overrated bullpen will be in shambles by june. those alleged hr sluggers will be lucky to get 60 between them.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated

Severino is a #1 starter. Tanaka can be if he cuts down on the long balls. Bullpen shaky first few weeks, but I will take my chances with those four. Plus, like I said, the Yanks can and will get at least one quality pitcher to help that rotation at some point.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Always an overreaction to great teams that struggle early and also to bad or mediocre teams that get off to a hot start.

I doubt the Mets and Pirates are going to be the teams to beat in the NL this year, folks.

kane

EOG master

aaron boone will not lead this team to even a playoff berth. team is dysfunctional. a bunch of #3 starters isn't going to get it done. overrated bullpen will be in shambles by june. those alleged hr sluggers will be lucky to get 60 between them.

LMAO, they'll have 60 by the break

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

[/B]

batting those 2 2nd & 3rd in the lineup seems counter productive. their rbi totals will suffer which are more important than hr's. real problem is SP. severino seems ok but sabathia is done and jury out on some of the others. home runs are overrated when they are solo shots.

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

This thread is hilarious. Only 9 games in to the season. They are 1 game over to start, not like they came out of the gate like the dodgers. 2nd most runs in AL and 4th highest in MLB. They are fine. They will be in the playoffs no doubt

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

And Boone? MLB managers, especially in AL can take naps in the dugout and have no effect. Shit Joe Torre was half asleep all those great years. Make a lineup and take a nap until the 6th inning

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Always an overreaction to great teams that struggle early and also to bad or mediocre teams that get off to a hot start.

I doubt the Mets and Pirates are going to be the teams to beat in the NL this year, folks.

Pirates no, a healthy Mets team has a shot.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

they better hope tanaka stays healthy. still cannot fathom batting judge and stanton 2nd and 3rd. they need someone on base. too much pressure on leadoff hitter to get on consistently. gary sanchez 2-32. ouch. batting order should be gardner, gregorius, judge, stanton etched in stone. and gardner a hair above average at best.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Yankees and Cubs are pretty much the same - no real leadoff hitter and a rotation full of 2-4 starters.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

boston with a much better lineup and superior SP and bench to this yankees squad will be 8 games in front by mother's day. yankees with major holes at 1b, 2b, 3b, c, and only 2 decent of positions solid. they will probably get some better players from someone to try to salvage season but fade this current bunch if you are wagering.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

[/B]

i'd take the under on that. they hit 110 between them last year. they will be pitched around batting 2nd and 3rd and with no leadoff hitter they will flounder. rest of lineup weak and just seem to be sitting around waiting for those 2 to bail them out every day. analyzing this yankee team further and having a manager with no experience whatsoever 85-77 would be a major accomplishment for them.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

stanton 0-7 with 5 k's today in another poorly managed game by boone. a million dollars a week they are paying this stiff. sure he'll swat 35 hr's mostly in situations that don't matter. boone sits his best player, gregorius because he needed rest. saving him for that play in game in october which is a longshot for this squad.

Ray Luca

EOG Master

This thread is hilarious. Only 9 games in to the season. They are 1 game over to start, not like they came out of the gate like the dodgers. 2nd most runs in AL and 4th highest in MLB. They are fine. They will be in the playoffs no doubt

Funny

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

team on a pace for 81 wins. they're stuck with these players but a managerial change by flag day is looming.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master

Talent doesn't disappear that quick. It's more psychological than people seem to think. Once human beings feel a sense of accomplishment especially in the form of money there's no need to give it your all.

It has to come from within.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master

This is exactly why I preach to everybody why you really have to judge people in their current form. Humans change.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

Talent doesn't disappear that quick. It's more psychological than people seem to think. Once human beings feel a sense of accomplishment especially in the form of money there's no need to give it your all.

It has to come from within.
you get into neutral mode once you have that guaranteed contract in your portfolio. you want to play good and put up numbers and even win to some degree but the importance of doing that gets diminished.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Not sure Aaron Boone can handle the distractions of New York or the distractions in his bedroom.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

Joe Girardi wasn't the problem...
no. not sure if the players liked him or not. boone just because he hit a hr in 2003 to win playoff series vs boston somehow parlayed that into becoming the manager. no experience but also has a flawed roster which cannot be corrected this season. they need another top of the line starting pitcher and another outfielder that can hit .300 along with a leadoff hitter who can get on base.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated

Lol- every team in baseball is flawed and can use a #1 starter and a .300 hittling outfielder. It’s not just your beloved Yankees. First time in 15 years they are under the salary cap and not paying 30 million in luxury tax. Not easy putting together a good team when you don’t have an open checkbook. They are not even paying their 3 and 4 hitters any money right now.
Remember, you guys passed on giving Cano $25 million a year. He never missed a game, put up silly hitting numbers and was a gold glover. Instead, you gave Ellsbury 23 million a year, and he’s been nothing but an abortion.
Like I said Yanks will go out and get what they feel they need this year.

railbird

EOG Master

Boone is an unqualified scumbag
Who i would hate to play for. Station and judge way overrated.

kane

EOG master

you get into neutral mode once you have that guaranteed contract in your portfolio. you want to play good and put up numbers and even win to some degree but the importance of doing that gets diminished.

Stanton was playing under his current contract last year. He batted .281, hit 59 home runs, drove in 132 runs, and had an OPS of 1.007, all while winning the MVP

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

Stanton was playing under his current contract last year. He batted .281, hit 59 home runs, drove in 132 runs, and had an OPS of 1.007, all while winning the MVP

all playing in zero pressure games in miami. now when expected to produce to actually help win games he folds like a tent.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

Lol- every team in baseball is flawed and can use a #1 starter and a .300 hittling outfielder. It’s not just your beloved Yankees. First time in 15 years they are under the salary cap and not paying 30 million in luxury tax. Not easy putting together a good team when you don’t have an open checkbook. They are not even paying their 3 and 4 hitters any money right now.
Remember, you guys passed on giving Cano $25 million a year. He never missed a game, put up silly hitting numbers and was a gold glover. Instead, you gave Ellsbury 23 million a year, and he’s been nothing but an abortion.
Like I said Yanks will go out and get what they feel they need this year.
not a yankee fan and when they are 10 games out on june 1 no one can save them. the ellsbury signing vs. the cano non signing is a legitimate claim and has come back to bite them.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

The season just started, do you judge everyone based on a handful of games?

stanton i'm sure will get his numbers. nothing approaching last years levels but decent numbers nonetheless. it's the overall makeup of the team that is the issue. they do not have enough to contend. that is apparent. especially in the starting rotation with only 1 legitimate starter. weak manager with no experience is also working against them.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

They can't contend this year when they were 1 game away from the World Series last year and added the NL MVP? ok

the NL mvp is hitting .108 in his last 9 games with 19 k's. scored 2 runs with 3 rbi's. bullpen overachieved last year and are woefully short on SP. their best outfielder gardner couldn't crack the top 4 red sox outfield rotation. their slugging catcher is 2-32. they are playing journeymen at 1b, 2b and 3rd. those 2 judge and stanton won't even come close to combining for 111 hr's and may set a new strikeout record between them. you need to put men on base and this team doesn't seem capable of doing that. sure, they can't be this bad for the whole season but i do not see where the help is going to come from to save them. ellsbury? worst arm in baseball history and cannot hit anymore. greg bird? they would trade him for mitch moreland who is 2nd string 1b in boston. they have a few injuries but those guys are just average players and won't contribute much when they return. also an inept inexperienced manager doesn't help the situation. they have enough firepower to beat out baltimore and tampa bay for 3rd place. that would be overachieving with this current group.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

This will be a fun bump but I'm sure I'll forget

teams are rarely the same year to year. they had good chemistry last year and a manager who kept them in line to some degree. mediocre pitching will be their downfall more than their failure to hit in the clutch. i will keep reminding you as the season wears on until they are 10 games out then it will be over.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

As of today, 5dimes still had yanks favored to win the East. You can load up on Boston. Good luck

meaningless. 5 dimes knows people will take them so thus the highest price. i really believe tony knows they aren't finishing 1st. i will just continue to bet against them daily when i have a decent pitcher. they are almost always overpriced.