You've got to read/listen to this, Mayor to feds: 'Get off your asses'

JC

EOG Veteran
This guy calls it like it is.

Full audio of the interview available in link

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/nagin.transcript/index.html

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin blasted the slow pace of federal and state relief efforts in an expletive-laced interview with local radio station WWL-AM.

The following is a transcript of WWL correspondent Garland Robinette's interview with Nagin on Thursday night. Robinette asked the mayor about his conversation with President Bush:

NAGIN: I told him we had an incredible crisis here and that his flying over in Air Force One does not do it justice. And that I have been all around this city, and I am very frustrated because we are not able to marshal resources and we're outmanned in just about every respect. (Listen to the mayor express his frustration in this video -- 12:09)

You know the reason why the looters got out of control? Because we had most of our resources saving people, thousands of people that were stuck in attics, man, old ladies. ... You pull off the doggone ventilator vent and you look down there and they're standing in there in water up to their freaking necks.

And they don't have a clue what's going on down here. They flew down here one time two days after the doggone event was over with TV cameras, AP reporters, all kind of goddamn -- excuse my French everybody in America, but I am pissed.

WWL: Did you say to the president of the United States, "I need the military in here"?

NAGIN: I said, "I need everything."

Now, I will tell you this -- and I give the president some credit on this -- he sent one John Wayne dude down here that can get some stuff done, and his name is [Lt.] Gen. [Russel] Honore.

And he came off the doggone chopper, and he started cussing and people started moving. And he's getting some stuff done.

They ought to give that guy -- if they don't want to give it to me, give him full authority to get the job done, and we can save some people.

WWL: What do you need right now to get control of this situation?

NAGIN: I need reinforcements, I need troops, man. I need 500 buses, man. We ain't talking about -- you know, one of the briefings we had, they were talking about getting public school bus drivers to come down here and bus people out here.

I'm like, "You got to be kidding me. This is a national disaster. Get every doggone Greyhound bus line in the country and get their asses moving to New Orleans."

That's -- they're thinking small, man. And this is a major, major, major deal. And I can't emphasize it enough, man. This is crazy.

I've got 15,000 to 20,000 people over at the convention center. It's bursting at the seams. The poor people in Plaquemines Parish. ... We don't have anything, and we're sharing with our brothers in Plaquemines Parish.

It's awful down here, man.

WWL: Do you believe that the president is seeing this, holding a news conference on it but can't do anything until [Louisiana Gov.] Kathleen Blanco requested him to do it? And do you know whether or not she has made that request?

NAGIN: I have no idea what they're doing. But I will tell you this: You know, God is looking down on all this, and if they are not doing everything in their power to save people, they are going to pay the price. Because every day that we delay, people are dying and they're dying by the hundreds, I'm willing to bet you.

We're getting reports and calls that are breaking my heart, from people saying, "I've been in my attic. I can't take it anymore. The water is up to my neck. I don't think I can hold out." And that's happening as we speak.

You know what really upsets me, Garland? We told everybody the importance of the 17th Street Canal issue. We said, "Please, please take care of this. We don't care what you do. Figure it out."

WWL: Who'd you say that to?

NAGIN: Everybody: the governor, Homeland Security, FEMA. You name it, we said it.

And they allowed that pumping station next to Pumping Station 6 to go under water. Our sewage and water board people ... stayed there and endangered their lives.

And what happened when that pumping station went down, the water started flowing again in the city, and it starting getting to levels that probably killed more people.

In addition to that, we had water flowing through the pipes in the city. That's a power station over there.

So there's no water flowing anywhere on the east bank of Orleans Parish. So our critical water supply was destroyed because of lack of action.

WWL: Why couldn't they drop the 3,000-pound sandbags or the containers that they were talking about earlier? Was it an engineering feat that just couldn't be done?

NAGIN: They said it was some pulleys that they had to manufacture. But, you know, in a state of emergency, man, you are creative, you figure out ways to get stuff done.

Then they told me that they went overnight, and they built 17 concrete structures and they had the pulleys on them and they were going to drop them.

I flew over that thing yesterday, and it's in the same shape that it was after the storm hit. There is nothing happening. And they're feeding the public a line of bull and they're spinning, and people are dying down here.

WWL: If some of the public called and they're right, that there's a law that the president, that the federal government can't do anything without local or state requests, would you request martial law?

NAGIN: I've already called for martial law in the city of New Orleans. We did that a few days ago.

WWL: Did the governor do that, too?

NAGIN: I don't know. I don't think so.

But we called for martial law when we realized that the looting was getting out of control. And we redirected all of our police officers back to patrolling the streets. They were dead-tired from saving people, but they worked all night because we thought this thing was going to blow wide open last night. And so we redirected all of our resources, and we hold it under check.

I'm not sure if we can do that another night with the current resources.

And I am telling you right now: They're showing all these reports of people looting and doing all that weird stuff, and they are doing that, but people are desperate and they're trying to find food and water, the majority of them.

Now you got some knuckleheads out there, and they are taking advantage of this lawless -- this situation where, you know, we can't really control it, and they're doing some awful, awful things. But that's a small majority of the people. Most people are looking to try and survive.

And one of the things people -- nobody's talked about this. Drugs flowed in and out of New Orleans and the surrounding metropolitan area so freely it was scary to me, and that's why we were having the escalation in murders. People don't want to talk about this, but I'm going to talk about it.

You have drug addicts that are now walking around this city looking for a fix, and that's the reason why they were breaking in hospitals and drugstores. They're looking for something to take the edge off of their jones, if you will.

And right now, they don't have anything to take the edge off. And they've probably found guns. So what you're seeing is drug-starving crazy addicts, drug addicts, that are wrecking havoc. And we don't have the manpower to adequately deal with it. We can only target certain sections of the city and form a perimeter around them and hope to God that we're not overrun.

WWL: Well, you and I must be in the minority. Because apparently there's a section of our citizenry out there that thinks because of a law that says the federal government can't come in unless requested by the proper people, that everything that's going on to this point has been done as good as it can possibly be.

NAGIN: Really?

WWL: I know you don't feel that way.

NAGIN: Well, did the tsunami victims request? Did it go through a formal process to request?

You know, did the Iraqi people request that we go in there? Did they ask us to go in there? What is more important?

And I'll tell you, man, I'm probably going get in a whole bunch of trouble. I'm probably going to get in so much trouble it ain't even funny. You probably won't even want to deal with me after this interview is over.

WWL: You and I will be in the funny place together.

NAGIN: But we authorized $8 billion to go to Iraq lickety-quick. After 9/11, we gave the president unprecedented powers lickety-quick to take care of New York and other places.

Now, you mean to tell me that a place where most of your oil is coming through, a place that is so unique when you mention New Orleans anywhere around the world, everybody's eyes light up -- you mean to tell me that a place where you probably have thousands of people that have died and thousands more that are dying every day, that we can't figure out a way to authorize the resources that we need? Come on, man.

You know, I'm not one of those drug addicts. I am thinking very clearly.

And I don't know whose problem it is. I don't know whether it's the governor's problem. I don't know whether it's the president's problem, but somebody needs to get their ass on a plane and sit down, the two of them, and figure this out right now.

WWL: What can we do here?

NAGIN: Keep talking about it.

WWL: We'll do that. What else can we do?

NAGIN: Organize people to write letters and make calls to their congressmen, to the president, to the governor. Flood their doggone offices with requests to do something. This is ridiculous.

I don't want to see anybody do anymore goddamn press conferences. Put a moratorium on press conferences. Don't do another press conference until the resources are in this city. And then come down to this city and stand with us when there are military trucks and troops that we can't even count.

Don't tell me 40,000 people are coming here. They're not here. It's too doggone late. Now get off your asses and do something, and let's fix the biggest goddamn crisis in the history of this country.

WWL: I'll say it right now, you're the only politician that's called and called for arms like this. And if -- whatever it takes, the governor, president -- whatever law precedent it takes, whatever it takes, I bet that the people listening to you are on your side.

NAGIN: Well, I hope so, Garland. I am just -- I'm at the point now where it don't matter. People are dying. They don't have homes. They don't have jobs. The city of New Orleans will never be the same in this time.

WWL: We're both pretty speechless here.

NAGIN: Yeah, I don't know what to say. I got to go.

WWL: OK. Keep in touch. Keep in touch.

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
Heard it all day today JC, he went off..........

In this case, both the govt & citizens are wrong..........

Bo F'n Diddley

EOG Senior Member
Great interview, about time someone stops spinning shit and says it how it should be said.

All the respect to Mayor Ray Nagin, I 110% agree with everything he said.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Bush is a fool. If God forbid there is a catastrophic terrorist hit, don't even expect any help from Homeland "Security". It'll be every Rocker for himself. And that asshole Bush stayed on his vacation two days after the Hurricane landed offshore. Enough is enough. Bring our troops home from Iraq and get this clown out of office.

What a mess!! Who would of ever thought something like this could be happening to American citizens? You can hear the frustration and helplessness in Mayor Nagin's voice! This is a disgrace to all Americans!!! Absolutely beyond belief!!

Scarlett

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
It is a tragedy. We all need to work together thru these times. No time for arguing or fighting. Wasting energy. I don't really know what to say to be honest.

Chuck Sims

EOG Dedicated
Its been predicted for years this would happen. Before Bush took office, the government had allocated $ to strengthen the levees to avoid a catastrophe if a major hurricane hit. The SOB Bush administration cut the $ out of the bill. Maybe he thought god would take care of everything.

Nimue77

EOG Senior Member
if what you say is true than Bush should get totally slammed for it. If the levees could have been stregnthened and that couldve prevented them from breaking in this instance, by not cutting $ out of some bill, than his decision cost many lives and much destruction.

Chuck Sims said:
Its been predicted for years this would happen. Before Bush took office, the government had allocated $ to strengthen the levees to avoid a catastrophe if a major hurricane hit. The SOB Bush administration cut the $ out of the bill. Maybe he thought god would take care of everything.

Sam Odom

EOG Master
Katrina Is Major Hurricane; U.S. Gulf Coast Prepares

Saturday Aug. 27 (Bloomberg) -- Hurricane Katrina grew into a major storm this morning and continued gaining power over the Gulf of Mexico, two days after slicing across Florida, and projections put New Orleans in its path, the National Hurricane Center said.

A direct hit by Katrina would be devastating to New Orleans, a port of almost 500,000 in the Mississippi River delta that depends on a series of pumps and levees to keep the city dry. Some neighborhoods lie as much as 20 feet below sea level.

``We, collectively, are among the world's foremost authorities on protecting ourselves from a major hurricane threat,'' Jefferson Parish President Aaron Broussard told residents at a briefing today with Blanco. ``Remember what you've learned throughout the years in the greater New Orleans area in fighting hurricanes.''

Jefferson Parish includes some western and southern New Orleans suburbs.

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said he probably would call for an evacuation this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Sam Odom

EOG Master
On Saturday the Mayor said he probably would ?? Hurricane Katrina hit Sunday night.

The mayor was asleep at the switch and now cusses other people for his fvck up, he is the one who should've gotten off of his ass and looked ahead.

Last edited:

Sam Odom

EOG Master

Do you know what they are?

An aerial view of flooded school buses in a lot, Thursday, Sept. 1, 2005, in New Orleans, LA.

Sam Odom

EOG Master
Why didn't Ray Nagin call for an evacuation on Saturday morning and use those school buses to get the poor people out of N.O.?

X

xpanda

Look at all those buses! Wtf is that? Busloads of people, especially the elderly and small children (and their parents) should have been bused out. Would've cleared up some of the backlog on the highways, too.

But Bush takes blame here, too. The man is just plain reckless. Sacrificed a great number of things in your country for his stupid 'change the world' plan. FEMA running all over the place getting everyone ready for a suicide bomb attack, dropping the ball on realistic emergencies. Both bigtime contributing factors in the aftermath to this.

I feel so sorry for all those people. I just can't even imagine how awful things are for them.

Sam Odom

EOG Master
You have to love this quote from last Saturday: "We, collectively, are among the world's foremost authorities on protecting ourselves from a major hurricane threat,'' Jefferson Parish President Aaron Broussard told residents at a briefing today with Blanco (Gov. Blanco). Gov. Blanco looked soooo lost in every press conference after the 'cane hit. I felt sorry for her.

Everyone is looking foolish lately, and the sad thing is it is disintegrating into a political or racial issue now.
Take one look at those poor children stuck in Houston, New Orleans, etc. They don't care about politics or race. My heart goes out to them.

JC

EOG Veteran
People are dead that didn't have to die. People had to live in their own sewage who didn't have to live in their own sewage. Everyone of these people is someone's child. So many of them are someone's mother, father, brother, sister, grandmother, or grandfather. Remember that.

Would it have been better to start the evacuation earlier and help those who could not get out get out? Yes. Was the Superdome a terrible alternative? No. It actually was a reasonable option had the government not dropped the ball on Monday.

Healthy people can go for a couple of weeks without food, but dehydration is a killer.

Did anyone see the video of the Blackhawk helicopter bringing water today? Did that look so complicated? If they had just started airlifting water in, and the elderly and sick out on Monday things would have been much different. I have been saying for days, how hard would it be to get 20 to 40 helicopters shuttling people out "fall of saigon" style? (Chinook copters hold 33 people each.)

They should have been landing helicopters at Costco's if they had to, filled them up, and flown them in.

What about buses? Apparently there is and has been road access in and out of New Orleans, I believe it was even better on Monday before the flooding peaked. How come the buses didn't start rolling in on Monday or Tuesday at the latest?

If Harry Connick could get in and out without incident, if all of the journalists seem to have no problem getting supplies in why couldn't anyone else get supplies in?

Had they started airlifting in water on Monday, airlifting the sick and elderly out on Monday, and bussing people out on Tuesday, they would probably be 80-90% done by now. And a great deal of the unrest never would have happened. It was a snowball effect from the complete lack of response earlier in the week.

The bloated government has supposedly drilled for this very crisis. They probably spent millions drilling for it. What good did it do?

In the meantime, while people are dying the President is busy posing for photo ops. He's in the Coast Guard hangar posing with local officials and commanders in front of helicopters that should be in the air. It's disgusting.

The United States government has blood on its hands again, this time not by its own action but its inaction. I hope the country remembers in the 2006 election and votes out every incumbent. Fire them like they deserve, vote out every incumbent in 2006.

JC

EOG Veteran
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/343015p-292833c.html

In rode the troops, with plenty of food and water and medicines, and for sure with firepower enough to make fast work of any armed-thug types who might choose to feel trigger-happy, and conditions last night in New Orleans were well on the way to being measurably improved. Thousands of storm victims were getting themselves evacuated from the hellhole Superdome. Thousands more were safe in shelters in Houston and Dallas and San Antonio and elsewhere. The airport was open, and medevac planes were regularly lifting out the desperately ill.
Sadly - maddeningly, and indeed infuriatingly - help arrived not soon enough to spare the wretched souls of New Orleans from miseries and horrors they were forced to endure for entirely too long. President Bush himself snapped that the federal government's disaster-response performance had been "not acceptable."

But yesterday, visiting the stricken Gulf Coast before signing off on more than $10 billion in preliminary aid, he made a point of publicly thanking Homeland Security chief Michael Chertoff and Federal Emergency Management Agency boss Michael Brown for their tireless work. What tireless work? The weasel Brown said the anticipated high death toll is "going to be attributable a lot to people who did not heed the advance warnings" and get out. Such compassion. Such stupidity. Many of them had no means of escape. And so they stayed behind, trapped in a doomed city as the lights went out and the poisoned waters rose. As for Chertoff, if this is the best his department can do, the homeland is not very secure at all.

It is absolutely outrageous that the United States of America could not send help to tens of thousands of forlorn, frightened, sick and hungry human beings at least 24 hours before it did, arguably longer than that. Who is specifically at fault for what is nothing less than a national scandal will be a matter for the postmortems.

It will never be known exactly what a day could have meant to so many unfortunates whose lives came to an end in those hopelessly tortured hours - on scorching roadsides, for lack of a swallow of water; in sweltering hospital beds, for lack of insulin. But what is already more than clear is that the nation's disaster-preparedness mechanisms do not appear to be in the hands of officials who know how to run them.

Sam Odom

EOG Master
JC, the mayor (city) fvcked up big time, period; the Governor (state) too, Bush (US) also. But because of personal politics and political correctness few media outlets will call it the way it is. Why? The mayor is a black guy and the Gov. a woman, simple as that!

JC

EOG Veteran
Thank God for the media!!! If it wasn't for them, all of these people would be left for dead.

Anyone who can't see that thus was clearly a Federal matter by Monday at noon is blind. This is why we have FEMA. Word is they have been hampered by a new layer of bureaucracy since they were absorbed into the Homeland Security Department. It doesn't matter why, they blew it. But nobody will be held accountable.

Michael Brown from FEMA should be fired, and somehow forced to bury all of the dead who died from the lack of response with his own hands. What a pompous bureaucrat! This is their job, this is what thousands of people get paid a very healthy federal pay check to plan for. There's no excuse for things not rollong in by Tuesday at the latest.

Maybe Bush can do a photo op in front of the bodies pushed to the side? Too bad he doesn't get close enough to the Superdome and Convention Center for them to spit in his face.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9174806/site/newsweek/

A Colossal Failure of Leadership
Saving people and maintaining order are the first order of government in any disaster. In New Orleans, neither has been achieved.

By Eleanor Clift

Updated: 12:29 p.m. ET Sept. 2, 2005
Sept. 2, 2005 - I didn?t see the movie ?The Day After,? which depicts the desolation and desperation in the aftermath of a nuclear attack. Staring at the images from New Orleans and the Gulf Coast is like watching that disaster movie in real time. People trying to survive, scavenging like wild animals, dead bodies stuffed in corners of the Superdome, the governor of Louisiana fighting to hold back tears.

Where is Rudy Giuliani when we need him? We?ve had four years since 9/11 to prepare for a crisis with mass casualties, yet we seem totally unprepared. To be sure, there are countless unsung heroes performing tasks of kindness and going out of their way to help their fellow man. But this was a moment for national leadership, and nobody rose to take charge the way Giuliani did in New York.

This has been a colossal failure of government. President Bush spent Tuesday, the day after Katrina struck, at a Medicare event in Arizona and then he made his way to a San Diego naval base for yet another anniversary tribute to the Greatest Generation. His concession to reality was adding a few words of compassion to his prepared remarks. Meanwhile, the greatest natural disaster in a century was unfolding at sickening speed with television cameras capturing footage of looting reminiscent of the days after the invasion of Iraq. Things were so bad ?you almost wonder if Donald Rumsfeld is in charge,? said Marshall Wittmann, an analyst with the Democratic Leadership Council.

Saving people and maintaining order are the first order of government in any disaster, and neither was achieved. The much-touted Department of Homeland Security appeared too caught up in its internal bureaucracy to perform, and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) called off its rescue missions Thursday because residents trying to board boats were getting violent. The disorder and lawlessness was breathtaking to watch. At one point, the evacuation of patients from a hospital was halted because of gunfire. Bush talks about ?zero tolerance? for looters, but there aren?t enough police to stop them and the jails are under water. One third of the National Guard from the affected states of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama are in Afghanistan and Iraq, and they?re the ones trained to perform the police functions that restore civil order.

Instead of declaring a national emergency and deploying the military from all those nearby Texas bases, Bush deployed his father and President Clinton for a photo op at the White House as a prelude to a fund-raising tour. Callers to cable shows called the unfolding disaster ?our tsunami? and wondered whether other countries would come to our aid the way the American government did when the tsunami hit Asia. We are the richest nation on earth with the resources, as Bush rightly said, ?to take care of our business.? Even so, gestures of support are welcome; NEWSWEEK has learned that the former ambassador from Sri Lanka is rallying medical doctors from his country?s expatriate community to go to New Orleans to help. ?I figured this is the least we could do to reciprocate for all the help we got,? Ambassador Devinda Subasinghe says.

We?re getting a taste of what poorer parts of the world have experienced along with a glimpse into a frightening future. Scientists say we have entered a cycle of frequent and dangerous storms. September is the peak season for hurricanes, and we?re already through the letter K with Katrina.

Bush?s comment that nobody thought the levees in New Orleans would break is false, and he will regret those words just as Condoleezza Rice did her comment that nobody could imagine a plane flying into a building like a missile. Local authorities and the Corps of Engineers had war-gamed hurricane scenarios and issued repeated warnings about the vulnerability of the levees. Their pleas were turned down and funding cut instead. Now the money will flow. Congressional leaders rushed back to Washington early to pass legislation to free up $10 billion for hurricane relief, a mere down payment on what it will cost to rebuild the stricken areas.

Congress had been planning to eliminate the estate tax, draining billions from a federal budget already reeling under the costs of a war. Marshall Wittmann, who used to advise John McCain, predicts that Bush?s tax-cutting days are over. ?We?ve been living in la-la land,? he says. ?This is a moment of sobriety when business as usual can?t continue.?

Chuck Sims

EOG Dedicated
A 65 year old New Orleans man who has been living on I-10 the last 4 days with no food and a little bit of water said it best, "We Got Idiots running the City".

Sam Odom

EOG Master
JC, no president in my memory has micromanaged a natural disaster, that fell on the Governors. But go ahead and play politics.

JC

EOG Veteran
I'm not playing politics. This was clearly a job for FEMA, they dropped the ball.

I just find it to be in poor taste for the President to attend $10,000 a plate fundraisers while people are dying due to the lack of response of his administration. He shouldn't need to micromanage it, but some of the people below him need to do what they were hired to do. If it takes a phone call from him to light a fire under their butts, so be it.

homedog

EOG Enthusiast
JC said:
I'm not playing politics. This was clearly a job for FEMA, they dropped the ball.

I just find it to be in poor taste for the President to attend $10,000 a plate fundraisers while people are dying due to the lack of response of his administration. He shouldn't need to micromanage it, but some of the people below him need to do what they were hired to do. If it takes a phone call from him to light a fire under their butts, so be it.

Your posts are out in left field. This was clearly a job that the governor of LA and the mayor of New Orleans should have done a better job of before and after the storm. Of course FEMA is needed in this case. Did the governor or mayor requrest that FEMA be in motion before the tragedy occurred?

It is easy to play this link to what the mayor said. This was well after the storm and all of the suffering. He changed his tune when he saw that he would be blamed for handling this so poorly and tried to shift blame.

Ray Nagin is the equivalent of an African King. He oppresses the people he governs (same race) to maximize his benefit. He is a worthless predator.

Elanor Clift? :+clueless That sums your position up nicely.

JC

EOG Veteran
My posts are not political, they are about people dying and the government doing nothing. This includes the federal, state, and local authorities. In my post I called for ALL inncumbents to be thrown out.

I'm sorry to hear that the only thing holding FEMA up was a signed fax from the governor. Maybe she couldn't find a notary. That's a ridiculous assertion.

FYI, I am a conservative, not a leftie.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Hell that last President on 24 did a better job than Bush during Katrina. Maybe Bush should try the same trick and have his daddy take over while he pumps iron in the White House basement and watches the Texas Rangers on his Lincoln Bedroom plasma.

If any of you think that Bush gives a rat's ass about you, then you are sadly mistaken...

What we are witnessing is tragic and embarrassing for a Country who prides itself on supposedly working hard and doing the right thing...

Rather than pointing fingers at who's to blame, it's time to see some assistance being given by any of us in whatever capacity we can...

I can't even turn my television on without feeling disgusted about being an American during this disaster and the way we have handled it...

---Complete egocentricity mixed with chaos and frustration, the epitome of President Bush...

THE SHRINK

Sam Odom

EOG Master
Sam Odom said:
Why didn't Ray Nagin call for an evacuation on Saturday morning and use those school buses to get the poor people out of N.O.?

Read this:

Louisiana disaster plan, pg 13, para 5 , dated 01/00

'The primary means of hurricane evacuation will be personal vehicles. School and municipal buses, government-owned vehicles and vehicles provided by volunteer agencies may be used to provide transportation for individuals who lack transportation and require assistance in evacuating'...

bearmz

EOG Member
A little late here, but....Face it, our government has quit on 95% of the population. They are here for the 5% that owns and runs the country. It doesn't matter if it's Democrat or Republican. If you're not oil, insurance, or pharmaceutical, forget it. You really don't matter. If you're not big money, you're a means to get taxed. When was the last time big Govt has really done anything for the grunt? Just as Reagon told the states to start fending for themselves, it has trickled down to where we must fend for ourselves. All decisions are skewed toward the Bigs. We as a country are divided/seperated. There's the small minority of the richest 5% and the rest of us at 95%. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see who matters. We as the 95% are used for tax puposes only. We fund the Bigs whims and line their coffers. Sorry about this rant, but the travesty of Katrina just brought the total ineptitude and the govts actual reaction of common people's plight to the forefront. We simply are afterthoughts. The Govt keeps an eye on us to see where we are making money so thay can get their cut. Right now, they are parasites. What a racket, politics. Become a politician, serve a term and recieve lifetime benefits only 5% enjoy. Makes me sick. On top of all this, I still vote.