Yu Darvish

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
yisman;n7452064 said:
Darvish announced he won't pitch again this season.

We'll see if he decides he feels like pitching next season.

Barely played at all in the first season of his massive contract.

This signing was stupid before it happened. At the time I think we all said how stupid the Cubs were for offering him 6/$126 when they could have signed Jake for far less in terms of years and overall dollar value. Won't be shocked if he never pitches again. As a Dodgers fan the laughter is awesome

yisman

EOG Master
winkyduck;n7452097 said:
This signing was stupid before it happened. At the time I think we all said how stupid the Cubs were for offering him 6/$126 when they could have signed Jake for far less in terms of years and overall dollar value. Won't be shocked if he never pitches again. As a Dodgers fan the laughter is awesome

I don't know if a single poster here defended the signing. Maybe one of the lunatic Cubs homers. I'd have to dig up the thread.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
yisman;n7452115 said:
I don't know if a single poster here defended the signing. Maybe one of the lunatic Cubs homers. I'd have to dig up the thread.
I don’t believe anyone liked the signing, especially when it came down to Arrieta or Darvish.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Cub management thought Arrieta was an injury-risk.

Whoops!

Teams with massive amounts of revenue streams like the Cubs can overcome mistakes like Yu Darvish or Tyler Chatwood.

Other teams like the White Sox cannot afford such a luxury.

Valuist

EOG Master
yisman;n7452115 said:

Fair Warning is right. Nobody liked it, especially when it came down to Arrieta and Darvish. Arrieta was probably one of the most popular Cubs ever. The fanbase in general hated this move.

Theo is much better picking guys up off the scrap heap (David Ortiz, Arrieta) than he is in dishing out megacontracts.

yisman

EOG Master
Yu punished the cubs for being stupid enough to sign him long term.

He pitched 40 innings. WHIP of 1.43

1-3 record

Him not being available is what forced the cubs to trade for Hamels.

Darvish is 32 now with a hell of a lot of mileage on his arm.

Last edited:

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Not only will they not survive the Darvish and Chatwood signings, they may face Wade Davis, who they let walk and replaced with another hurt closer ((Morrow).

kane

EOG master
Not only will they not survive the Darvish and Chatwood signings, they may face Wade Davis, who they let walk and replaced with another hurt closer ((Morrow).

Replacing Davis with Morrow, and Arietta with Darvish really bit Theo in the ass

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I’m not big on signing hurt players to big contracts. They did that with two pitchers, yet let two good pitchers go, one over injury concerns.

blueline

EOG Master
Confident Cubs starter Yu Darvish says he has ‘best stuff in my life’

By Gordon Wittenmyer
@GDubCub | email

MESA, Ariz. – The new and improved Yu Darvish is starting to sound so improved that he might not need the rest of spring training to be ready to pitch when the season opens more than three weeks from now.
“I feel the best [I have] in my career,” the Cubs starter said after working two sharp innings against the White Sox on Sunday in the Cubs’ exhibition rout, then finishing his work in the bullpen only because the Cubs spent too long hitting in the top of the second.
Darvish, who brought a new swagger to camp along with newfound health in his pitching elbow, seemed sure he could tell even this early in camp how his strength and how his stuff stack up to any point in his 14-year professional career.
“Yeah, because I’m throwing 97 [mph], and the slider was very good, and the split was good, too,” he said.

MrTop

EOG Master
I remember in the USA today in the jerry reuss of the dodgers said the same thing. He was horrible to start the season . That is when I stopped listening to the players at spring training

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Rail....will bet you a dime that Darvish does not win 15 games....you in??

A heck of a bet may be Yu vs Kershaw. This Kershaw injury could be bad for LA. I saw the same signs with Darvish last year that Kershaw is experiencing now. A SD to win the division at long odds wouldn’t be the worst thing if one likes to gamble.

MrTop

EOG Master
bet the over. gonna have a good year. Was always the cubs best pitcher. Was in a big time funk ever since he went to chicago.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
bet the over. gonna have a good year. Was always the cubs best pitcher. Was in a big time funk ever since he went to chicago.
No, he really struggled, and especially at home. Somehow in the middle of the season, the light came on and he was lights out.

MrTop

EOG Master
No, he really struggled, and especially at home. Somehow in the middle of the season, the light came on and he was lights out.

take a look at what he did at texas and LA.. nobody on the cubs could do that. That is why they gave him that contract. darvish to win 20

Last edited:

Valuist

EOG Master
Cubs fans warmed to Darvish the last 2 years, but one fact remains: he's topped 150 innings once since 2014. I know analytics guys think players are robots or machines and just leave them in longer and they will perform at the same level. Snell? He's topped 150 innings once in his career. A lot of money for two guys who likely won't combine for 300 innings in 2021.

We know the MSM gets hot and bothered for the teams that make a lot of off season moves. That will be factored into the RSW total. We likely will see a number in the 90s, and I'd be a little hesitant just knowing 50 starts likely is the ceiling for those two.