A different sort of question!Who is your favorite COLLEGE player of all time (Hoops)

Journeyman

EOG Master
College basketball career ONLY?

This makes for a different question since we are only considering the college career.

go.:cool:

Journeyman

EOG Master
Re: A different sort of question!Who is your favorite COLLEGE player of all time (Hoops)

interesting choice Ego

I am sure we will see some not so remembered players if everyone took the time to answer.

Journeyman

EOG Master
Re: A different sort of question!Who is your favorite COLLEGE player of all time (Hoops)

My guy was 'King Albert' aka Albert King...that Md team was tremendous but never did put it all together.

Albert King
Ernie Graham
Buck Williams
Greg Manning
Larry Gibson

royboy

EOG Dedicated

mookie blaylock
chris jackson
larry johnson
jamal mashburn
chris webber
ryan minor
tractor traylor

mookie definitely number one for me...

I picked Mashburn because he was not only one of the best UK players ever, but probably the MOST IMPORTANT ever as well

Mashburn was Rick Pitino's 1st "Big Name" recruit, which helped speed up the rebuilding of the Kentucky program, which was in SHAMBLES when Pitino got to Lexington

Mash left college after his junior year and unlike many players at that time, he didn't receive much flack from the fans for it because of how much he meant to the program and how important he was in putting UK Basketball back on the National Map

Journeyman

EOG Master

When it was all just a game and fun...

Len Bias was amazing, talk about carrying a team, after Bias' Sophomore year the Terps had lost several key players and back then the ACC was unforgiving, as almost all the seniors stuck around, so once you lost some key seniors you had to regroup, unlike today.

Bias carried the Terps, but could never get them past the Sweet 16! Aside from the ACC title as a Soph , all of his accomplishments were pretty much indivdual.

Journeyman

EOG Master

mookie blaylock
chris jackson
larry johnson
jamal mashburn
chris webber
ryan minor
tractor traylor

mookie definitely number one for me...

By the looks of that list RoyBoy, I would guess you are about 33 now?

Re: A different sort of question!Who is your favorite COLLEGE player of all time (Hoo

Re: A different sort of question!Who is your favorite COLLEGE player of all time (Hoo

haha mash made my list also, guy was a beast in college, almost single handedly took them to a title

:cheers

Very similar to Danny Manning carrying Kansas to the National Championship back in '88. Just a great performance: 31 points, 18 rebounds, 5 steals and 2 blocked shots in the win in the finals over Oklahoma

Manning was probably my favorite all-time NON-UK Wildcat player

Journeyman

EOG Master

At the time, Kansas was not the Kansas we became accustomed to seeing almost every year, a top ten team...the Jayhawks were just becoming really good again when Manning carried them to the title, that was a great March Madness!

royboy

EOG Dedicated

a little shy of 30 jman...

fuckin danny and the miracles :hung

Journeyman

EOG Master

What did you think of Rex Chapman Ego?

My favorite Kentucky team was the team thsat beat Utah for the title...IMO maybe the best CBB team ever! I remember having them against Duke for a lot of money and they stormed back and kicked Dukes ass, it was great!

Turner at point guard , lightning quick.

I never liked Kentucky other than that team. :)

Journeyman

EOG Master

Looking back at that KU team they had some other players, it seemed like Manning and the miracles, ala Larry Bird at ISU.

Remember they had the omen in the stands, some very ill child they were playing for, I believe it was a young kid...similar to when Villanova won it all for the dying trainer.

You remember that Ego? The sick kid KU was playing for?

royboy

EOG Dedicated

1987-88 Kansas Jayhawks Roster

Danny Manning Sr 6-10 F/C
Archie Marshall Sr 6-6 F
Kevin Pritchard So 6-3 G
Chris Piper Sr 6-8 F
Milt Newton Jr 6-5 F/G
Scooter Barry Jr 6-3 G
Lincoln Minor Jr 6-3 G
Clint Normore Jr 6-0 G
Jeff Gueldner So 6-5 G
Keith Harris So 6-5 F
Mike Maddox Fr 6-7 F

unreal they beat ou in the finals, sooners had already beaten them twice that year, probably one of the best teams to come up short of the championship... mookie, stacy king and harvey grant all lottery picks the next year i believe

<TABLE borderColor=#000000 bgColor=#cc0000 border=2><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle width="23%"> </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width="77%"><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom align=left width=440 colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=440 colSpan=2>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Desmond Mason[/FONT] </TD></TR><TR><TD width="70%"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]School: Oklahoma State[/FONT]</TD><TD width="30%"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Class: Senior[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD width="70%"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Height: 6'6"[/FONT]</TD><TD width="30%"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Weight: 217[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD width="70%"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Position: Small Forward[/FONT]</TD><TD width=184></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="100%" colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

What did you think of Rex Chapman Ego?

My favorite Kentucky team was the team thsat beat Utah for the title...IMO maybe the best CBB team ever! I remember having them against Duke for a lot of money and they stormed back and kicked Dukes ass, it was great!

Turner at point guard , lightning quick.

I never liked Kentucky other than that team. :)

All the white boys at school wanted to be Rex Chapman at that time. Wish he could have played under Pitino instead of Eddie Sutton, he would have excelled in that offense

the '96 Kentucky team with Delk, McCarty, Antoine Walker and Ron Mercer was a much better and more dominant team than the '98 team, but I was probably never prouder of a UK team than I was that '98 team.

They just refused to lose, remember that Duke game very well. Tubby just kept rotating guys in and out, applying the pressure after we got down big, and eventually just wore Duke out

Remember Duke burned their last time out with like over 10 minutes left in the 2nd half

Journeyman

EOG Master

The Sooners were a great great team...I will never forget that Oklahoma team....Blaylock Harvey Grant and Stacy King , how did they lose!

You remember that Ego? The sick kid KU was playing for?

Faintly remember. It's so commonplace now, every team it seems has a "story", playing for someone who's dying or ill

Journeyman

EOG Master

All the white boys at school wanted to be Rex Chapman at that time. Wish he could have played under Pitino instead of Eddie Sutton, he would have excelled in that offense

the '96 Kentucky team with Delk, McCarty, Antoine Walker and Ron Mercer was a much better and more dominant team than the '98 team, but I was probably never prouder of a UK team than I was that '98 team.

They just refused to lose, remember that Duke game very well. Tubby just kept rotating guys in and out, applying the pressure after we got down big, and eventually just wore Duke out

Yes, I agree about the 96 team, both teams were loaded and Tubby substituted and just wore teams down.

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

Mello - single handidly got me a ring - beating 2 number one seeds and arguably a third in Kansas - one of the toughest runs in the tourny

Jalen Rose.

I was in love with the FAB-5. I almost cried when Webber called that time out. It is hard to believe how far downhill they have gone.

Rick Mount
Wally Walker
Buck Williams
Pistol
Ernie D

Reno Paul

EOG Dedicated

Lew Alcindor. No dunks were allowed in college basketball back then. He developed his sky hook probably because of that rule.

Pistol Pete Maravich
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson

Journeyman

EOG Master

Jalen Rose.

I was in love with the FAB-5. I almost cried when Webber called that time out. It is hard to believe how far downhill they have gone.

The Fab 5...0 titles.

such promise too.

Between the big three they probably made 300 million bucks....where have you gone Jimmy King?

roach23

Banned

The Fab 5...0 titles.

such promise too.

Between the big three they probably made 300 million bucks....where have you gone Jimmy King?

What about Ray Jackson?

Journeyman

EOG Master

What about Ray Jackson?

I couldn't remember his name when I made the last post.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Carmelo Anthony
Shane Battier
Mike Bibby
TJ Ford
Matteen Cleaves
Andrew Bogut
Rip Hamilton

nedrow

EOG Dedicated

EWING, PLAYED HARD FOR 4 YEARS EVERYGAME ,SAME THING WITH NYK

Charles Barkley.

And it really hurts me to have to say that.

jacksorbetter

EOG Dedicated

20 beers a day and 20 points per game. Smoothest shot ever.

dirty

EOG Master

Mark Price

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

Chris Jackson

Journeyman

EOG Master

Mark Price

That GT team was loaded...with Price, Hammonds, Salley, Duane Ferrell Dalrymple and Ivan Joseph , that was a great team! Some of the teams back then deep in senior talent would kill the teams of today...this was just a very good team back then but still didn't even come close to winning anything, I remember them losing to another great team but in a close game...CBB back then, when seniors stuck around like they did back then, so many name brand players on those teams.

dirty

EOG Master

Yea... that was great time in ACC Hoops... GT was loaded every year for a while there and couldn't sniff a Title ... MY Family had GT foots and hoops season tickets while I was growing up and I was at Many of the Thrillerdome games back then. When I started playing Varsity then I didn't get to go to many, but still enjoyed it....Those 83-86 teams were something fun to watch...then the Next group with Dennis Scott, Kenny Anderson, Brian Oliver, Duane Ferrel... they were just as damn good.... Clemson had Dale Davis... Played against that Monster in HS for one season... He was unreal.... He was a SR when I was a Freshman... you couldn't stop him

Journeyman

EOG Master

Yea... that was great time in ACC Hoops... GT was loaded every year for a while there and couldn't sniff a Title ... MY Family had GT foots and hoops season tickets while I was growing up and I was at Many of the Thrillerdome games back then. When I started playing Varsity then I didn't get to go to many, but still enjoyed it....Those 83-86 teams were something fun to watch...then the Next group with Dennis Scott, Kenny Anderson, Brian Oliver, Duane Ferrel... they were just as damn good.... Clemson had Dale Davis... Played against that Monster in HS for one season... He was unreal.... He was a SR when I was a Freshman... you couldn't stop him

That is exactly how I remember it Dirty.

The next group 'Triple threat ' or whatever they called them went farther but that team before them was really a very damn good team, it was just so tough back then. Hammonds was a beast in college, I don't know how that team did not get to a Final Four, the memory is fuzzy but I think they lost in the great 8 to maybe the eventual champion...I remember them losing a tough game they had a chance to win, it has been over 2 decades...they really jelled when Joseph got there in the middle.

I think they lost to Georgetown with Ewing if I'm not mistaken.