OMG: HOW COULD THEY NOT CALL A FOUL?

Re: OMG: HOW COULD THEY NOT CALL A FOUL?

THE OFFICIATING JUST TOOK THIS SERIES AWAY FROM THE SPURS...

THEY ARE DONE!

First of all the Spurs had the benefit of officials most of game...

If he had taken the shot initially it'd have been called. Should've inbounded to Ginobli at least he would've had more sense.

What kind of idiot doesn't take the 3 and get the foul called.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Barry wasn't about to settle for the hope of getting the call though...had he not put the ball back on the floor, he had Fish in the air , why not just go up and fire?

It was a foul on the floor as it turned out.

PAYBACK for Robert Horry /Steve Nash<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I still think it was a horribly drawn play, yeah i understand 2.1 or 2.4 left but still, you are only down 2 try to get something higher % wise and play for OT.

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated

If you dont get the ball to Duncan, Parker of Ginobili you aren't going to get a call in the league in the final seconds. Brent Barry isn't going to get a whistle in the final seconds because he is Brent Barry.

That's the way it is in the association.....I know it's not right but that's the way it is.

Turiaf, Luke Walton, or the other scrubs would not get this call either if they were in the same situation.

If you dont get the ball to Duncan, Parker of Ginobili you aren't going to get a call in the league in the final seconds. Brent Barry isn't going to get a whistle in the final seconds because he is Brent Barry.

That's the way it is in the association.....I know it's not right but that's the way it is.

Turiaf, Luke Walton, or the other scrubs would not get this call either if they were in the same situation.

Excellent point of view.

Journeyman

EOG Master

IF HE FLOPS AFTER THE CONTACT AND DOESN'T SHOOT, THE REFS MAY HAVE CALLED IT..

Without question, either way he should have been to the line, Barry didn't play it well, it was as if he wasn't taking the chance the refs were going to bail him out, afterall he is a Barry :(

royboy

EOG Dedicated

First of all the Spurs had the benefit of officials most of game...

If he had taken the shot initially it'd have been called. Should've inbounded to Ginobli at least he would've had more sense.

agree

Joey Crawford
Joey Crawford Wants To Fight Tim Duncan

Posted Apr 15th 2007 10:31PM by Brett Edwards
Filed under: Mavericks, Spurs, Western, NBA Gossip, Featured Stories
It's not unusual for NBA players to get into heated arguments with officials and say some crazy things. It is, however, unusual for the official to come back with something even crazier. That's exactly what happened today during the game between the Spurs and the Mavericks, if you believe Tim Duncan's side of the story. Duncan received his second technical and was ejected for seemingly just laughing on the bench after a call went against the Spurs, and Duncan believes that referee Joey Crawford wanted to get physical:

"He looked at me and said, 'Do you want to fight? Do you want to fight?" If he wants to fight, we can fight. I don't have any problem with him, but we can do it if he wants to. I have no reason why in the middle of a game he would yell at me, 'Do you want to fight?"'​
That sounds like a challenge to me. Maybe we can schedule it during halftime of an upcoming playoff game, you know, similar to that race that went down between Charles Barkley and Dick Bavetta.

Duncan went on to say that he said only three words to Crawford all day ("I got fouled"), so the referee must have come into the game with some sort of vendetta against him. Naturally, Crawford disagreed:
"... he was complaining the whole game. And then he went over to the bench and he was over there doing the same stuff behind our back. I hit him with one (technical) and he kept going over there, and I look over there and he's still complaining. So I threw him out."​
Crawford was interviewed before Duncan spoke to the media, so unfortunately no one got to ask him if he really was challenging Duncan to a fight.

I don't know if Crawford has a personal issue with Duncan, or if Timmy did enough today to actually get himself ejected. I do know that San Antonio has the reputation, as a team, of being the biggest complainers in the NBA when it comes to the officiating. So it wouldn't exactly be shocking if some of the refs had a bit of a quick whistle when it comes to T-ing up the Spurs.

Joey Crawford has a very long memory youtube video.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOqnqRgiYaw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOqnqRgiYaw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Rhome on Crawford

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XSkwILzT7Og&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XSkwILzT7Og&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
HTML:

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Sorry Shrinkie-poo

GOOD (NO) Call

Barry made the mistake there of after contact dribbling meaning the contact did NOT affect the shot. When Fisher is up in the air if Barry goes up for the shot and gets creamed THEN you have to call a foul but the way that play went GOOD NO CALL and honestly i woulda called it the same had i been the official there

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

Sorry Shrinkie-poo

GOOD (NO) Call

Barry made the mistake there of after contact dribbling meaning the contact did NOT affect the shot. When Fisher is up in the air if Barry goes up for the shot and gets creamed THEN you have to call a foul but the way that play went GOOD NO CALL and honestly i woulda called it the same had i been the official there[/quote

I agree winky. He fakes and jumps into him its a foul. He faked and dribbles underneath him. No foul

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

I still think it was a horribly drawn play, yeah i understand 2.1 or 2.4 left but still, you are only down 2 try to get something higher % wise and play for OT.

Terrible. You think if that was the Lakers they would have set the play up for Walton?

More on Crawford and San Antonio

Before we even discuss last night's incident, how is it the NBA placed Joey Crawford on duty to call a very important game with the San Antonio Spurs involved?

Believe me, I'll take a Spurs loss anyway I can get one, but based on the numerous past incidents with Crawford and the Spurs, Tim Duncan in particular, he should never call a San Antonio playoff game. There are plenty of other lousy officials out there to take his place.

Last night near the end of the 1st quarter, several Hornets and Spurs kept switching up their spots on the block. This happens now and then with a little cat and mouse shifting. What Crawford should have done was walk into the lane and stop the movement. Instead, he called a technical delay of game on both teams.

Popovich wasn't pleased, for what he thought was a bad misinterpretation of the rules:
?I believe the official was incorrect. We?ve gone through this before a couple of years ago in our Sacramento series, and it happened to be with Bonzi (Wells). The team that?s shooting the free throw has to make the first choice about where they?re gong to be placed. So the delay of game should be on that team, not on both.?
At the time he didn't have a similarly calm explanation. Instead Pops and Crawford were angrily discussing the call and like a typical NBA official who wants to be bigger than the game, he poked the Spurs coach in the chest a few times and was clearly the aggressor in an argument that didn't need to happen.

Joey Crawford is everything that's wrong with the NBA officials. They think they are part of the game, the entertainment. Their egos are far too large to perform their duties appropriately and have trouble admitting to in-game mistakes and take it out the players and coaches. That's not basketball.

I was hoping Coach Pops was going to ask Joey "if he wanted to fight." You know Tim Duncan would have approved.

May 27, 2008
Tom Orsborn: Crawford doesn't worry Popovich

The inclusion of Joey Crawford, who a San Antonio radio station a couple of hours ago compared to one of America's most notorious serial killers, in tonight's officiating crew will have "absolutely no effect whatsoever" on the outcome of tonight's game, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

Crawford has had numerous run-ins with Tim Duncan and Popovich in recent years, including one with the later during Game 5 of the New Orleans series. Because of those dust-ups, it would be no stretch to say he's the most hated official among Spurs fans.

Still, Popovich took the high road when asked during his pre-game media briefing about Crawford, who hit the coach with a technical in New Orleans after poking him in the chest.

"It doesn't matter who the officials are for a game," Popovich said. "They are going to do their best job to officiate just like the Lakers and the Spurs are going to do their best job to play a good game. Whatever the pool is, you can pick three guys out of a hat. It doesn't matter. That's irrelevant to the outcome of the game."

Popovich's comments, however, probably won't do much to put Spurs fans at ease. During ESPN 1250's afternoon show, co-host Chris Duel likened Crawford to Charles Manson of Helter Skelter fame.

Sorry Shrinkie-poo

GOOD (NO) Call

Barry made the mistake there of after contact dribbling meaning the contact did NOT affect the shot. When Fisher is up in the air if Barry goes up for the shot and gets creamed THEN you have to call a foul but the way that play went GOOD NO CALL and honestly i woulda called it the same had i been the official there

You go from forum to forum and just about everyone else believe that should be a foul. You are definitely in the minority.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

You go from forum to forum and just about everyone else believe that should be a foul. You are definitely in the minority.

maybe so - but go from forum to forum and just about everyone who says it should be a foul have NEVER reffed a basketball game in their lives. those of us who HAVE been on the court know the right call was made at the end - NO FOUL

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

As for the last play of the game Tuesday, the RIGHT call was made - or rather NOT made. Was there contact on the play? YES and even Stevie Wonder knows it. But the key to officiating is deciding when contact has created "Impact and Advantage". On the play there was contact but AFTER the contact Brent Barry took a dribble and THEN fired up the shot - so no ADVANTAGE was gained or lost by the contact. Once Barry got Fisher in the air D-Fish was helpless and had Barry gone up for the shot Fisher would have clobbered him and THEN a foul would have been called but once Barry dribbles the ball - the foul had no IMPACT on the play - so NO FOUL! As many games as I have officiated I wouldn't have called a foul and I know almost all of my colleagues would have done the same. And if free throws had been awarded for the contact Barry should have only gotten 2 NOT 3 because after contact he dribbled and was fouled on the floor - and NOT in the act of shooting - so ONLY 2 shots not 3

As for the last play of the game Tuesday, the RIGHT call was made - or rather NOT made. Was there contact on the play? YES and even Stevie Wonder knows it. But the key to officiating is deciding when contact has created "Impact and Advantage". On the play there was contact but AFTER the contact Brent Barry took a dribble and THEN fired up the shot - so no ADVANTAGE was gained or lost by the contact. Once Barry got Fisher in the air D-Fish was helpless and had Barry gone up for the shot Fisher would have clobbered him and THEN a foul would have been called but once Barry dribbles the ball - the foul had no IMPACT on the play - so NO FOUL! As many games as I have officiated I wouldn't have called a foul and I know almost all of my colleagues would have done the same. And if free throws had been awarded for the contact Barry should have only gotten 2 NOT 3 because after contact he dribbled and was fouled on the floor - and NOT in the act of shooting - so ONLY 2 shots not 3
No, the key to officiating is to remain consistent.

I really don't think this was a consistently called game, but because I feel the Spurs were the beneficiaries of this all game long, I can live with the no call at the end there. Fact is, had Barry taken the shot initially and not avoided getting crashed into hard, they'd have been forced to blow the whistle.

seattle slew

EOG Senior Member

I hate the refs for deciding games, but in this instance, I think it was a foul and Fisher should be penalized for being stupid and going airborne with Barry two steps beyond the 3-point line. Would have only been a 2-shot foul because he didn't shoot right away, and no guarantee he would have made both with that pressure.

Refs should swallow the whistle late, but Bennett Salvatore didn't 2 years ago when he called the phantom foul to give Wade 2 free throws with 2 seconds left in Game 5 when he wasn't touched.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

No, the key to officiating is to remain consistent.

I really don't think this was a consistently called game, but because I feel the Spurs were the beneficiaries of this all game long, I can live with the no call at the end there. Fact is, had Barry taken the shot initially and not avoided getting crashed into hard, they'd have been forced to blow the whistle.

100% agree on the last sentence - something i have said a few times

as for being "consistent" - i agree but don't agree. when i officiate if i KNOW someone has a few fouls in 1Q or 2Q (and we are in HS where they only get 5) and the player does something that might warrant a 3rd at times i will try and "get out" of nailing him. if i see somone who i can legitimately "pass the foul off on" i will. say a Point Guard also hit the guy i will give the foul to the PG knowing he is less likely to foul out than the big guy. or at times a guy will go over the player's back and create contact but he doesn't "kill him" and the ball goes out of bounds - i will PASS on the foul and just give the ball out of bounds to the other team

here i am NOT consistent but being subjective and honestly - i am paid to be both - most OBjective but part SUBjective, too. get over it folks - i am human as are the refs - get over it and accept it

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Also, you don't want to reward a player who's shooting an extremely high percentage shot that probably isn't going anyway.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Also, you don't want to reward a player who's shooting an extremely high percentage shot that probably isn't going anyway.

i think you mean "low" but point well taken

at the end of a quarter we sometimes get the "wild fling" from 3/4-court to try and make a prayer. on these plays the kid better lose a limb if he expects a foul because anything less i am NOT calling it. i am NOT gonna reward some kid with 3 FTs for a shot that might go in 1 out of every 300 tries if that. if he gets bumped or hit harder than usual - NO FOUL because the contact had NO impact on the play. unless the kid gets his arm broken i am NOT going to call a foul

i go back to the Nova/G'Town game where the official called a block with like 0.2 seconds left 75 feet from the bascket. in that case the ref needs to know the clock and game situation and let that play go - no advantage gained/lost on that play - yet by the rules that was a foul (if we wanna talk about how stupid the Nova player was for even being in the same area code as the player to foul - good point - but NO foul shoulda been called on that play - although having said that had there been 15 minutes left in the game THEN you call the foul)

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

Could it have been called a foul? Yes it could have been. But not sure that would have been the right call either. That is one of those 50-50 deals IMO. Granted I know there is no such thing, but you get the point. Bottom line it is on Barry, being a veteran to make the ref make the call. Fall down, whatever it takes. Make him make the call. He didn't and he could have leaned in immediately and got three when he got him in the air. As it was it would have only been two anyway. Barry fucked it up.

waco

EOG Dedicated

Spur players and coach said it was a good call. If they didn't agree with the call, they would of said "no comment" to the quwestion about the foul. Again Winky is right on the money. This guy knows the game.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

As a Spurs backer last night, it is hard for me to bitch about that last call when I felt the Lakers had gotten the shaft all night from the officials.

jwunderdog

EOG Addicted

I will agree with the call, just have a funny feeling if it was Kobe and not Barry the call would have been made.Probably the thing I hate about NBA basketball the most- "best players get calls".

As J Man and Crazy pointed out, he should have went straight up when he had Fisher in the air

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fR4m0ZThDYY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fR4m0ZThDYY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Moldoveanu

EOG Master

Brent Barry fixed this game!!

every player knows that when someone jumps into you easily over you!

all you do is jump in the air and just waive ur hands that u been fouled

and thats been called on e verything!! even a small bump!

that fucking guy knew he had 2 seconds and fisher was right there on top of him but no he wanted to go around him for what to make a shot???????

his shot was right there when fisher was in his face! and even he said

that was no FOUL after the game!

then why is he throwing his hands in the air for a foul!! that fucking guy!

just fixed this game! and he just lost the series for the SPURS!!

i cant belive how people can fix games so easy!!

everyone in the world knowz knew he should have shot the ball but no

the verteran dump idiot did not do that!! he wanted LA to win!

royboy

EOG Dedicated

lol, barry didn't fix the game, he's not used to being in that situation and fucked up... pop deserves some of the blame for drawing the play up for him (if he did).

and it's been brought up the spurs never should have had the chance to win on that shot anyway. fishers shot with 6 seconds left hit the rim and bounced off horry out of bounds. lakers should have had the ball with the shot clock off which would have forced the spurs to foul, basically game over. the better team won, eod.