#1 NFL Draft pick?

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
Here’s a 2nd opinion, from a former NFL scout, I saw on Facebook.
I don’t necessarily buy into everything he says, but it did raise my eyebrow so a little bit.

I’ve (Daniel Kelly) now evaluated USC quarterback (QB) Caleb Williams in every snap he took in 2022 and 2023 and I’ve written approximately 11,850 words reflecting on him in articles.

The takeaway: Williams is too undisciplined, moody, and immature to ever realize his potential.

Yes, he is loaded with God-given raw arm strength, and elite ability to create and extend (which is the draw to him), but he’s underdeveloped in the finer points of the position. His skillset doesn’t translate well to the next level ⎯the NFL game is about quick time to throw, precise downfield ball placement, and ball security.

The only box he checks is ball security improving from 35 pass breakups (2.5 avg.) in 2022 to 15 in 2023 (1.25 avg.).

2023 went sideways
Williams won the 2022 Heisman Trophy, but it amounted to a second-round grade watching him through my ‘NFL-colored glasses.’ He tended to hold the ball too long and to lock in with receivers.

The first three games of 2023 (San Jose State, Nevada, and Stanford) gave me optimism he had improved, but then ASU happened. He was excellent against Colorado but mediocre against the University of Arizona.

And then things went off the rails.

The true litmus test would be against ranked competition.

What happened?

USC faced Notre Dame, Utah, CAL, Washington, Oregon, and UCLA and dropped five out of six and Williams’ became unglued.

Concerns
1. Downward trajectory ⎯Williams regressed in 2023.

2. NFL Expectations ⎯will be crazy high. The expectations alone will cause him to be a bust.

3. Time to throw ⎯Pro Football Focus recorded Williams at 3.44 seconds in 2022 and 3.21 seconds in 2023. Williams was sacked 63 times (2022-2023). Only seven NFL QBs are over 3 seconds (NEXT GEN STATS). Bears’ QB Justin Fields was the slowest (3.23 seconds). Fields was sacked 99 times (2022-2023).

4. Glorifed system QB ⎯I did an independent study this season, Williams’ best completion percentages came throwing 44-62% short passes. His three worst games (55.9%-57.5%) were fewer short passes.

5. Not a big game QB ⎯Williams was 2-9 against ranked teams the past two seasons.

6. Fumbles ⎯ 32 fumbles in 36 games.

7. Post-game conduct ⎯refused to shake hands with Utah and refused to talk to reporters after the UCLA loss.

8. Nature ⎯Wants to get out of structure as a passer and get reckless as a runner (increased injury risk). He reverts to locking in with receivers. Additionally, he talked down about a fan calling him a “sheep,” and he does unpredictable and uncensored things ranging from painting obscenities on his fingernails to jumping into the stands and crying in his mother’s arms.

9. Inexperienced dealing with adversity ⎯According to Sports Illustrated (Nov. 28, 2023) Williams said, “I’ve never been in this situation, where I’m 7–5 and there are no playoff hopes at the end of the season. I’m dealing with it emotionally, dealing with it spiritually and physically. ”

10. Holiday Bowl ⎯USC bounced right back (same offensive line and defense) against No. 15 Louisville with QB Miller Moss who was making his first career start and he matched Williams’ USC high of six touchdown passes in a game.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Just watch jayden daniels get talked about as a #1 pick option after the combine

He is 15-1 to go #1 at draftkings now

He will run a great time. Throw the ball a mile and show a maturity in the interview process to impress a team while Williams will be shorter, slower, and have his maturity come into question.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Just watch jayden daniels get talked about as a #1 pick option after the combine

He is 15-1 to go #1 at draftkings now

He will run a great time. Throw the ball a mile and show a maturity in the interview process to impress a team while Williams will be shorter, slower, and have his maturity come into question.

Worth a flyer at 15-1….

Heim

EOG Master
They said the same thing about Mahomes. I saw a old clip on ESPN before the draft, all the talking heads said Mahomes
would never realize his potential because of his gun slinger tendencies.

kane

EOG master
The bottom line is, no one knows how any of these QB's will turn out, last year Bryce young went ahead of Stroud, the kid SF traded up to take a couple years ago, his name escapes me, but the guy they drafted with the last pick of the draft turned out to be their guy, Caleb Williams could end up being a franchise QB, or merely average, same thing with Maye, Daniels and the rest of them, predicting a college QB's success in the NFL is largely a crapshoot. If I were the Bears I trade the pick for as many assets that I can get, all it takes is one team to fall in love with the kid and give up a treasure trove of picks

kane

EOG master
They said the same thing about Mahomes. I saw a old clip on ESPN before the draft, all the talking heads said Mahomes
would never realize his potential because of his gun slinger tendencies.
The year he was drafted, the Bears traded up to the second pick and took Mitch Trubisky, the Chiefs traded up to #9 and took Mahomes, it's not like he fell into the Chiefs lap and they took a flyer on him, they saw something the Bears didn't, imagine had the Bears taken Mahomes, the course of both franchises would have looked much different, it would be the Bears winning all these SB's, to say the drafting of a QB is an inexact science is an understatement

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
If the Bears don’t like Caleb, you trade the pick to someone who likes him.
If they don't plan on keeping Fields, they would have to trade with Wash or NE, to stay in the top 3 to select one of the other two QB's. That being said, I think Washington would be more than interested in trading up 1 spot.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
The year he was drafted, the Bears traded up to the second pick and took Mitch Trubisky, the Chiefs traded up to #9 and took Mahomes, it's not like he fell into the Chiefs lap and they took a flyer on him, they saw something the Bears didn't, imagine had the Bears taken Mahomes, the course of both franchises would have looked much different, it would be the Bears winning all these SB's, to say the drafting of a QB is an inexact science is an understatement
The Bears were going to interview Mahomes but fell in love with Mitch after his interview.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
If they don't plan on keeping Fields, they would have to trade with Wash or NE, to stay in the top 3 to select one of the other two QB's. That being said, I think Washington would be more than interested in trading up 1 spot.
New ownership wanting to make a splash - just like Carolina last season.

Heim

EOG Master
Maye will go high but what really hurts his chances of going top two is Trubisky went to NC as well.

kane

EOG master
The Bears were going to interview Mahomes but fell in love with Mitch after his interview.
If that's the case, they were negligent in their job, maybe they would have spoken to Mahomes and liked him more than Trubisky, or maybe not, but you have to know as much as you can about both guys before making up your mind, apparently Mahomes must have interviewed pretty well with KC

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
The bottom line is, no one knows how any of these QB's will turn out, last year Bryce young went ahead of Stroud, the kid SF traded up to take a couple years ago, his name escapes me, but the guy they drafted with the last pick of the draft turned out to be their guy, Caleb Williams could end up being a franchise QB, or merely average, same thing with Maye, Daniels and the rest of them, predicting a college QB's success in the NFL is largely a crapshoot. If I were the Bears I trade the pick for as many assets that I can get, all it takes is one team to fall in love with the kid and give up a treasure trove of picks
We have no idea how good Bryce Young is. Last season he didn’t more time running for his life than looking down field to throw.

If Stroud went to Carolina and Young to Houston we might be talking about how great Young’s rookie season was and what a bust Stroud is.

We have to give Young “a pass” on last season knowing what he was dealing with. Grade him this season when he (hopefully) has a line and receivers

Heim

EOG Master
There's no doubt in my mind Caleb is going to Chicago. A 3 year rookie deal is what they want with a upgrade
in the passing game. They can let Atlanta or Pittsburgh worry about Fields. I'd be football malpractice to keep Fields
with Williams available.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
I would load up on more draft picks and talent to compliment Fields.

At some point you need to WIN. The risk involved in drafting Williams and he doesn't pan out the way everybody expects is so detrimental to the franchise and city as a whole. Nobody and I mean NOBODY will ever want to go to Chicago. A curse nobody wants any part of.

I just don't feel he did enough to warrant giving up somebody who has already been in the league 3 years and is only 24. You know what Fields is and isn't similar to 49ers knowing what Purdy is and isn't.

Fields with Marvin Harrison Jr. and another offensive lineman and future picks sets the team up to win now. Caleb Williams isn't beating the Packers or Lions anytime soon.

As the season went on Fields proved he wasn't a quitter. Finally brought in a stud WR in Moore only to ship him out because you want to move the chains back and develop another "potential" star QB? Whatever.

Let Washington or New England have fun with all that.

Last edited:

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
With Caleb Williams the system will be getting the ball out of his hands quick.

I wouldn't draft a WR at 9 then. Chargers or somebody will draft a WR anyways. Bowers is one hell of a reach at 5. Either offensive line or Verse opposite Sweat.

If Alt drops to 9 he has to be a shoe in at 9. LT for the next decade. You got your QB and LT in one swoop. No more excuses.

Last edited:

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
It's just resetting the clock to me while saving cash. You have to develop the new guys now and waste years playing .500 or less ball again against solid teams like Detroit and Love and Green Bay now who probably figured things out.

Caleb Williams isn't beating them soon. It's not happening. At least Fields has experience against them and has shown he's able to take criticism and negativity well.

If Caleb doesn't come close to the hype then it will never end and the only win will be for the people saving cash.

Last edited:

Heim

EOG Master
Fields is going to want 3 at 50 million. The starting QB market is nuts, nonetheless, Bears aren't paying anything close to that for a guy to get them 7-8 wins, if that.

Last edited:

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
You're just going to give Fields away for nothing strictly because he will save you cash. I will become a Falcons or whoever team he goes to fan. I bet wherever he lands he will make the playoffs before Bears do.

It's one of these situations people are likely fighting and ripping their hair out behind closed doors. I doubt anybody has gotten a good night's sleep. It's already March.

blueline

EOG Master
Steelers just got rid of ex-bear trubisky who can't process fast enough and now another bear QB who can't process fast enough is the answer...sure

Heim

EOG Master
Caleb in full diva mode now refusing to subject to any medical testing as well...

Dude acting like he has 3 rings already.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
You're just going to give Fields away for nothing strictly because he will save you cash. I will become a Falcons or whoever team he goes to fan. I bet wherever he lands he will make the playoffs before Bears do.

It's one of these situations people are likely fighting and ripping their hair out behind closed doors. I doubt anybody has gotten a good night's sleep. It's already March.
He’s electric but way too inconsistent. The OL can’t hold their blocks for as long as it takes him to decide.

Last edited:

blueline

EOG Master
Via Lombardi:
SI NFL guy said bears are looking for a sam darnold kind of deal....Lombardi said he spoke to many people at the combine and there was no interest in Fields