10X as many fair catches as the 80s, so many cowards

railbird

EOG Master
Calling FC on own 5 a thing now, why?

Fair catches with nobody within 10 yards also.

Suppose to peak at gunner and ball then decide, so many call FC as soon as the ball leaves the punter's foot.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The safe play is a product of the concussion crowd.

If things continue at the current pace, we soon will see the kicking game eliminated altogether.

We've gone from protecting the quarterback to protecting the ball carrier.

What's next?

The middle of the secondary went from the most dangerous place on the field to the safest place on the field.

Waiting for the day when the referee announces the following penalty: "Personal foul, fifteen yards, for TOO MUCH FOOTBALL."

ComptrBob

EOG Master
What's even worse is when the potential returner is even afraid to call the fair catch.

An example tonight was the Wyoming returner just watched a Nevada punt bounce by him. Result was a 70+ yard net.

So what happened on Nevada's next punt? Same thing, another net 70+ yard punt. Jeez.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
With no big plays in the kicking game, current trend figures to help UNDER bettors marginally.

railbird

EOG Master
i was a very good punt returner my freshman yr in hs. i had great hands, good decisions and good 1st step and wiggle, i only lacked front line speed.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
What % of punts did you return Rail? Sounds like you didn't take a lot of FC's.

I wouldn't return punts for all the money in China, that's the last job on the field I wanted.

railbird

EOG Master
no fair catches, but not many 14 yr olds had great hang time with rubber footballs, and we had twin returners

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
i was a very good punt returner my freshman yr in hs. i had great hands, good decisions and good 1st step and wiggle, i only lacked front line speed.

It’s absolutely amazing you didn’t play Division 1 and then go right to an NFL or MLB career....what happened?

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
What's even worse is when the potential returner is even afraid to call the fair catch.

An example tonight was the Wyoming returner just watched a Nevada punt bounce by him. Result was a 70+ yard net.

So what happened on Nevada's next punt? Same thing, another net 70+ yard punt. Jeez.

They are probably afraid to call the fair catch because they are afraid they are going to muff and/or drop the punt, fair catch or not.

For instance, Missouri this season has had massive problems with fumbled/muffed punts --so against Kentucky they had a "punt returner" fair catch every punt to avoid the turnover. He didn't look the part of a punt returner, rather a sure handed guy who would catch the punt and not muff it.

railbird

EOG Master
They are probably afraid to call the fair catch because they are afraid they are going to muff and/or drop the punt, fair catch or not.

For instance, Missouri this season has had massive problems with fumbled/muffed punts --so against Kentucky they had a "punt returner" fair catch every punt to avoid the turnover. He didn't look the part of a punt returner, rather a sure handed guy who would catch the punt and not muff it.
this is why you need a sure handed white guy returner and decision maker inside own 20 instead of break away speedster who muffs lots of them