42-1

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
Below is a clipping from a new Yahoo report featuring Bookmaker Jimmy from Southpoint.

My recollection about the fight, I watched it live at a neighbourhood bar.
It was 1990. The packed bar had a 7ft dish on the roof. They could get all sports.
I’m really surprised Jimmy needed to get the result from a ticker.
He described it like he was in a scene from 1934, “The Sting”
In 2018, ESPN made a documentary on the Tyson-Douglas fight as part of its "30 for 30" series. The title was "42 to 1."

"You’ll like this," Vaccaro said. "The number is 42-to-1. This is the day of the fight.
Guy came in, he was a customer at The Mirage.
He laid $420,000 at 42-to-1 to win $10,000. I’ll never forget.

"Somebody was standing there, I think it was a newspaper guy.
I said, ‘He thought he was going to pick up $10,000 in about five minutes, when they rang the bell.’"

Well, Tyson lost in one of the biggest upsets in sports history.
Vaccaro said he didn't believe the ticker when it said Tyson lost the fight, which was in Tokyo.
He didn't pay out the bets on Douglas until news stations such as ESPN started reporting it.

Full report here:

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-king-o...my-vaccaro-has-a-story-for-you-201652346.html

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
I was working for GRANDE during that event in Tokyo…my late boss and my dear friend refused to put up a line…he didn’t want any part of it….

Heim

EOG Master
I didn't know Tyson was partying with singer Bobby Brown the night before until sun up.

Brown kept asking Tyson if he should get some sleep....

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Looking back, Tyson was massively over-rated. 42-1 was an historically bad line. He had elite Samantha Powers but wasn't a complete boxer and never put together a complete championship resumè. Going to prison during his Coach Prime didn't help. I compare him to Bo Jackson.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I was at KTLA-TV that night. The ticker would feed us reports after every round. We did not believe the reports as they came along and were STUNNED when we got the final result

Heim

EOG Master
That win fucked Douglas' life. He became fat and happy.

I remember reading he'd buy videos back in the day rather than rent because he was too lazy to return them.