A lot of programs just need to shut it down for the year

I'm not complaining about this one because I cashed the easiest under on the game, but seriously if Maine is going to score 12 points in the first half and follow it up with 18 points, why keep playing this year? I think a lot of programs aren't just dealing with Covid but a lot of kids who don't have their hearts in it. Just really bad for the game, but until they pack it in I guess I'll just keep capping away at it.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Did the Ivy League do the right thing in 2020?

The Ivy League canceled football in July and basketball in November.

I'm afraid the powers-that-be in college sports feel pot-committed at this point of the season.

Getting to March and then early April for the college hoop season is everything from a financial standpoint.

The NCAA looks greedy plowing ahead this season after losing March Madness last season.

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other.

I can see the argument on both sides.

Checking out the box score now on the Maine Black Bears.

Final score: Vermont 65 Maine 30.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
At Circa, Vermont opened a 20-point favorite and closed an 18.5-point choice.

Total opened and closed 123.5.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Covid unfortunately has taken us out of our comfort zone. Changed everything including sports. Ohio State was dealing with covid just before championship game. So many tennis players need to quarantine for 2 weeks now before Australian Open. Can't even leave their hotel rooms to practice. Its been a mess. This isn't life especially for athletes. We have to keep in mind this NFL season has been a cheesy one with all the opt outs and injuries.

Wish there was a quick fix to eliminate the virus. I really wish there was. Not only obviously for people's safety and health but some normalcy to sports.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Thanks for sharing, Pro.

So many athletes depend on routine.

And in 2020, it seemed everyone was knocked off their routine.

Look at a few other teams who made yet another horrendous effort yesterday:
N Illinois
SE Louisiana
Idaho
Denver
San Jose St
And our new favorite UCSD

What about some proud programs having some just terrible showings all year:
Washington
St Joe's

I'm almost certain if you went to the players on these teams and privately polled them on if they should continue most would say no. They would go the Chicago State way which is fine. No one is going to the NBA out of these teams, heck few might ever have a chance to get paid to play in some obscure foreign league. What's the point of continuing? If bad programs just shut it down the remaining teams would have better games and we'd see better quality product out there. And yeah about the Ivy, they were smart. They realized if no one is going to attend the games and its all just on TV, they and all these lesser leagues aren't going to get eyeballs on them. I can't imagine even a Vermont alum saying you know I want to watch the game against Maine on TV instead of just about any other sporting event out there.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
This basketball season is all about the almighty dollar.

Not my words but the words of Baylor's women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey.

Interesting thoughts from her considering she makes $2.27 million per year to coach the Lady Bears.

In these times of political correctness, I better check if the nickname "Lady Bears" is still acceptable.

1610915467377.png