Any tips on hanging out for a week or so at spring training baseball in Florida???

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
A chance to get close to the players and see their sculpted physiques.

Is the Steroid Era really over?

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
It is one of the things I like about baseball. A lot of the players have normal size bodies. Met 2 brothers of Torii Hunter once in Memphis. Was in a Hooters on vacation. Watching the Twins play the Yankees. Two guys come over with an interest in the game. Offered them a beer and talked about the game. They asked me who my favorite team was and I said the Twins. Then they asked me my favorite player - which I said was Torii Hunter and I thought Joe Mauer was going to be good (his rookie year).

Then, the one guy said Torii is his brother! One of the brothers played Division 1 at Oklahoma and minor leagues and was now a hitting instructor for Seattle. There to put on a hitting clinic for the Memphis Redbirds. The other brother was a fireman in Pine Bluff. Arkansas which was not far away.

Terrific time but do not remember who won the game. Told them I played fast pitch softball and the tip I got was to hit the inside half of the ball!!!

texaswizzard

EOG Dedicated
Spring training isn't close to what it used to be. First off you can't get close to the players for autographs or interactions like in the past. Almost all the teams allowed access to the practice fields hours before the games to watch BP or fielding drills. Not anymore. Now the prices for spring training games has sky rocketed. Most teams charge from $35 to $75 per game and even in the last week of spring training players rarely play more than 4-5 innings. If your coming for the weather, to play golf and have low expectations then come. If not, go to some tropical island and chill.

lastyle7

EOG Veteran
Tampa area has several spring training teams. Phillies, Pirates, Tampa Bay, Yankees, Tigers and Braves

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Thinking about Fort Myers. Rent a car - go check some places out.

Went to Jet Blue Park in Fort Myers to see the Mets play the Sox last year. Cool park, lots of raffles and memorabilia auctions. Got to take a pic with the World Series trophy. Doug Flutie was in the next section over, and was nice enough to take a pic with my mom as he was leaving. Tough to get close to the players, but C.J. Chatham was hanging out with his girl after the game and gave us his batting gloves. There are a lot of good sports bars in the area and the Southwest Florida & Lee County Fair is going on at that time. Worth the trip in my opinion.

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted
if you want autos, go before teams start playing games..
if you want to see players, go to spring training site when team is playing on road. Stars rarely travel.
if want to see games, you are on your own. They are relatively expensive and boring after about 3 innings.

avoid tampa and yankees if possible. WS foes Astros and Nats play together in West Palm. Neither team has too many fans.
Reds left Plant City the day after Rail got out of jail, went to Sarasota, and now train in Arizona.

Valuist

EOG Master
I think Arizona is better for spring training. Much less driving to get to the majority of spring training sites.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
It is one of the things I like about baseball. A lot of the players have normal size bodies. Met 2 brothers of Torii Hunter once in Memphis. Was in a Hooters on vacation. Watching the Twins play the Yankees. Two guys come over with an interest in the game. Offered them a beer and talked about the game. They asked me who my favorite team was and I said the Twins. Then they asked me my favorite player - which I said was Torii Hunter and I thought Joe Mauer was going to be good (his rookie year).

Then, the one guy said Torii is his brother! One of the brothers played Division 1 at Oklahoma and minor leagues and was now a hitting instructor for Seattle. There to put on a hitting clinic for the Memphis Redbirds. The other brother was a fireman in Pine Bluff. Arkansas which was not far away.

Terrific time but do not remember who won the game. Told them I played fast pitch softball and the tip I got was to hit the inside half of the ball!!!

That's a great hitting tip, Bucky.

Hard to understand for some but clear to those who get it.

I went to a Baltimore spring training game in Fort Lauderdale sometime in the late 1990's.

If memory serves, the O's had the bases loaded with Will Clark, Harold Baines and Cal Ripken, Jr. on the basepaths.

Baines and Ripken, Jr are Hall-of-Famers today.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
That's a great hitting tip, Bucky.

Hard to understand for some but clear to those who get it.

I went to a Baltimore spring training game in Fort Lauderdale sometime in the late 1990's.

If memory serves, the O's had the bases loaded with Will Clark, Harold Baines and Cal Ripken, Jr. on the basepaths.

Baines and Ripken, Jr are Hall-of-Famers today.

I liked watching Will (the Thrill) Clark. What a great swing! Do not really know his personality but heard it on a broadcast or two that his message recorder answers the phone, "The Thrill is gone - leave a message".

Thanks for the ideas - will be happy to check it all out.

Be sure to check out the hotel and rental car prices in PHX too before deciding. Borderline gouging going on out there two years ago when I had to go out for a business meeting. Stupid Hilton Garden Inn wanted $340/night! Car rental was $107 a day if I recall.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
uber/lyft and airbnb have to be better options.

$50/night for a private room and bath and the daily uber can't be more than $40.

Sounds manageable if you plan on getting there early and staying the day. Throw in another $30 for food. $120 a day sounds like a vacation!