Apparently losing 100 plus games

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Gets Don Mattingly a 2 year extension. Forever rebuild, a mosoleum of a stadium in a poor area where attendance sucks and hardly anybody goes to fill the seats, and an underachieving roster. Guess Jeter still had to show what loyalty he had left in a former teammate.

kane

EOG master
The main reason Mattingly got an extension is the way he deals with the young players, the Marlins feel he's a calming influence, and they like the rapport he has with the team, let's be honest, there isn't any manger who could win with this team anyway, and at least the players are familiar with Mattingly's style

kane

EOG master
I disagree with your thinking they underachieved, they have no talent, their season has gone exactly as it was supposed to, other than a couple of good arms, they have nothing. It's not Mattingly's fault they traded Giancarlo, Yelich, Ozuna and Realmuto

jimmythegreek

I disagree with your thinking they underachieved, they have no talent, their season has gone exactly as it was supposed to, other than a couple of good arms, they have nothing. It's not Mattingly's fault they traded Giancarlo, Yelich, Ozuna and Realmuto
How many years could you lose 100 games? Apparently the repercussions need to call on the man in charge. Trade away talent, in a small market, the manager needs to win and have more of a say when it comes to influencing ownership decision. Two legends in charge, the franchise continues to suffer in disarray.

kane

EOG master
Mattingly has been the manager here for 4 seasons, the first two seasons when they had some talent he went a combined 156-167, not great but at least they were competitive. At the start of last season the Marlins traded away all their good players, and he's gone 116-197 since. Like I said, it's not Mattingly's fault ownership gutted the team and no manager in MLB could compete with the current roster, nobody

jimmythegreek

Managers deserve extensions deriving from success on the field, not calming influences in the clubhouse. If you average his overall record since he has been there, it calculates to 90+ losses a season. It's embarrassing that a team like this has virtually no farm system, no fan base, and all that money spent on a stadium.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Managers deserve extensions deriving from success on the field, not calming influences in the clubhouse. If you average his overall record since he has been there, it calculates to 90+ losses a season. It's embarrassing that a team like this has virtually no farm system, no fan base, and all that money spent on a stadium.
They have always been run like this. Eventually the fans give up. Pay Stanton huge money knowing you’re not going to be around to pay it - sure. Extort Dade County for a stadium to make more money off the sale of the team? Let’s do that. It goes on and on.

kane

EOG master
Managers deserve extensions deriving from success on the field[/B][/B], not calming influences in the clubhouse. If you average his overall record since he has been there, it calculates to 90+ losses a season. It's embarrassing that a team like this has virtually no farm system, no fan base, and all that money spent on a stadium.

Not when the team they manage has the least amount of talent in the league, there isn't any manager who could compete with the Marlins roster. Bret Brown had a terrible record coaching the 76ers, every year they had one of, if not the worst record in the league, he also had no talent to work with, which would explain his terrible record, Philly management knew Brown was in an unwinnable situation, they didn't hold the team's terrible record against him, they finally got some talented players and they started winning, Brown's record the past few years has been great, he's the same coach he was when he was losing, as he is now that he's winning, the only difference is the team now has talent when before they didn't. And as far as the Marlins farm system, it's a lot better now than it was a few years ago. The only part of your post that's correct is the part about no fan base.

jimmythegreek

I disagree. He's had 4 years and I'm not for one extending a manager simply because year by year his overall team's performance just keeps getting worse and worse. In Brown's case the team made some key acquisitions and that by far also didn't come without manager's consent or input. Miami is boring and nobody is willing to come out to see them whether it's solely overall performance or poor location. Eventually the axe has to fall at the helm.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I disagree. He's had 4 years and I'm not for one extending a manager simply because year by year his overall team's performance just keeps getting worse and worse. In Brown's case the team made some key acquisitions and that by far also didn't come without manager's consent or input. Miami is boring and nobody is willing to come out to see them whether it's solely overall performance or poor location. Eventually the axe has to fall at the helm.
What FA would you want Miami to sign? They would have to sign 3-4 big names this offseason to make a difference. That isn't on mattingly, thats on Jeter.

kane

EOG master

And year by year the talent Mattingly has to work with has gotten worse and worse, I don't understand how you blame Mattingly for losing with a team completely devoid of talent. So they can fire him and replace him with another manager, and when that guy fails to win they can fire him and replace him with another manager, and when that guy fails to win they can fire him and replace him with another manager, and when that guy fails to win they can fire him and replace him with another manager. The bottom line is, until the front office goes out and gets some guys who can play, whoever the manager is will have a bad record, not sure why you can't understand this, but whatever, and yeah the team is boring, that's what happens when you trade away all of your good players, it's not Mattingly's fault Jeter traded Yelich for Lewis Brinson, or Giancarlo Stanton coming off an MVP season for garbage in return

jimmythegreek

And year by year the talent Mattingly has to work with has gotten worse and worse, I don't understand how you blame Mattingly for losing with a team completely devoid of talent. So they can fire him and replace him with another manager, and when that guy fails to win they can fire him and replace him with another manager, and when that guy fails to win they can fire him and replace him with another manager, and when that guy fails to win they can fire him and replace him with another manager. The bottom line is, until the front office goes out and gets some guys who can play, whoever the manager is will have a bad record, not sure why you can't understand this, but whatever, and yeah the team is boring, that's what happens when you trade away all of your good players, it's not Mattingly's fault Jeter traded Yelich for Lewis Brinson, or Giancarlo Stanton coming off an MVP season for garbage in return
It;s not that I don;t understand it, but you need to comprehend that eventually there is going to be a fall guy, and it's not going to be Jeter. Bottom line is this is how things work in baseball.. Management could easily have a say when it comes to roster movement and while it's not Mattingly's fault, franchise ownership will only have so much patience rather than give the existing manager a reward. What did he do to obtain such an extension? Any manager could have a good repoire and laid back educational experience with his players. It's not going to improve his situation when it comes to overall results.
l