Are the Iranian People About to Retake their Country?

Re: Are the Iranian People About to Retake their Country?

Fellas, thanks for the continued updates and varied sources of information on this fascinating story line

I'm reading most all the content posted here in past few days.

12io4j2w90
Obviously, I can't get enough of this. We are witnesses to a world-changing event.

mr merlin

EOG Master

12io4j2w90
Obviously, I can't get enough of this. We are witnesses to a world-changing event.
Let me know when the world has changed! The best I hope for is for the mullas to slaughter a few hundred protesters...and thereby relieve this planet of a few more filthy muslims.:pop:

tank

EOG Dedicated

Let me know when the world has changed! The best I hope for is for the mullas to slaughter a few hundred protesters...and thereby relieve this planet of a few more filthy muslims.:pop:
Yes indeed. Hope the friendly protesters get killed and the filthy muslims that kill them live. Makes sense to me.

mr merlin

EOG Master

Yes indeed. Hope the friendly protesters get killed and the filthy muslims that kill them live. Makes sense to me.
No, I would rather the "good" muslims prevail... but lacking that, each muslim death enriches us.

Though you are of course free to do so, there's really no need to provide serious responses to caricatures or cartoon characters. . .It's much more entertaining to just poke sticks at them through their cages. . .

mr merlin

EOG Master

Though you are of course free to do so, there's really no need to provide serious responses to caricatures or cartoon characters. . .It's much more entertaining to just poke sticks at them through their cages. . .
Isn't it about time you do some "pro bono" work for sheik mohammed. As I said, let us know when the world has changed.

tank

EOG Dedicated

I'm just wondering if they are still able to pass information along?They control all the phones and the net over there don't they??

mr merlin

EOG Master

I'm just wondering if they are still able to pass information along?They control all the phones and the net over there don't they??
Just think, if it wasn't for "they", it would just be us.

Seriously though, I dont know what's going to happen in iran, I just pray that one of our predators is lining up a few more filthy muslims in it's sights as we speak.

scrimmage

What you contemplate you imitate

Another color-coded revolution[green this time],with protests instigated,supported,and financed by whom?
A sudden mainstream media frenzy of coverage on the Iranian elections?Is it because they're so telegenic,or to spin viewers opinions in a certain direction.
Does the U.S. empire have a benevolent interest promoting democracy for Iran,or anyone else?That's just a cover in order to get what's needed to maintain the "American way of life".
It's funny how a candidate like Mir-Hossein Mousavi,has so much support simply for being the lesser of 2 evils,sound familiar?
Below some reads on the subject:

Iran,more jockeying for position in the competition for finite global resources.
If in Iran's case, a "Guardian Council" determines the candidates who can run for elected office,can Mir-Hossein Mousavi,and his supporters really be considered an "opposition"?
"Green" is trendy these days,the Iranian color coded revolution should play well.
Green shoots,spontaneous,or instigated?Obama's not so overt,but there's always the covert going on we aren't supposed to worry about,doesn't mean nothings happening,it just isn't so obvious.
How long does the center hold?

Had to know it was just a matter of time before Joe Cuckold and Scrimmage fucked up the thread with Cut-and-pastes... when you have nothing to say, just find an article where someone else does and plaster it.
Mr. Sanderson;
You see the 2 quotes above?I don't know about "Joe Cuckold",but those are my own words.
Yes I cut and paste,but everything is attributed,cited,and linked to,
anything else wordwise is original ,and my own commentary on events.
If you have a disagreement with my mash-up opinion then bring it.

Scott L

EOG Enthusiast

Scrimmage's posts read like two distant FM stations battling for the same spot on the dial.

Scrimmage's posts read like two distant FM stations battling for the same spot on the dial.
:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO I think most have rightfully given up on even reading anything he posts.. it all looks the exact same every time.

scrimmage

Well we can guess where your sympathies lie,and you're not diggin for gold.
What do you think about ex US President Jimmy Carter stating that "the citizens of Palestine are treated more like animals than like human beings?"...

<TABLE class=copy cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>From:
http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/carter_palestinian_israel/2009/06/16/225587.html

</TD></TR><TR><TD id=article_content vAlign=top>
GAZA CITY ? Former President Jimmy Carter denounced the deprivations facing Palestinians in Gaza as unique in history, asserting that they are being treated "like animals."

"Tragically, the international community too often ignores the cries for help and the citizens of Palestine are treated more like animals than like human beings," he said Tuesday as he toured the war-torn, blockaded Gaza Strip.

"The starving of 1.5 million human beings of the necessities of life ? never before in history has a large community like this been savaged by bombs and missiles and then denied the means to repair itself," Carter said at a U.N. school graduation ceremony in Gaza City.

He was referring to the blockade that Israel and Egypt have maintained on Gaza since June 2007, when Hamas, a group pledged to the destruction of the Jewish state, violently seized power in the territory.

The United States and Europe "must try to do all that is necessary to convince Israel and Egypt to allow basic goods into Gaza," he said. "At same time, there must be no more rockets" from Gaza into Israel.

"Palestinian statehood cannot come at the expense of Israel's security, just as Israel's security cannot come at the expense of Palestinian statehood."
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

scrimmage

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO I think most have rightfully given up on even reading anything he posts.. it all looks the exact same every time.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mohandas_Karamchand_Gandhi

Truth alone will endure, all the rest will be swept away before the tide of time. I must continue to bear testimony to truth even if I am forsaken by all. Mine may today be a voice in the wilderness, but it will be heard when all other voices are silenced, if it is the voice of Truth.

Palestine belongs to the Arabs in the same sense that England belongs to the English or France to the French. It is wrong and in-human to impose the Jews on the Arabs.
  • Gandhi's Collected Works, Vol 74 (1938)
Hitler killed five million Jews. It is the greatest crime of our time. But the Jews should have offered themselves to the butcher's knife. They should have thrown themselves into the sea from cliffs. As it is, they succumbed anyway in their millions.
  • The Life of Mahatma Gandhi (1950) by Louis Fischer. The quote is in the the context of Gandhi's argument to his biographer that collective suicide would have been a heroic response that would have "aroused the world and the people of Germany to Hitler's violence".
  • First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    • Describing the stages of a winning strategy of nonviolent activism. A close variant of the quotation first appears in a 1914 US trade union address:
<DL><DD><DL><DD>And, my friends, in this story you have a history of this entire movement. First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. And then they attack you and want to burn you. And then they build monuments to you. And that, is what is going to happen to the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America.
</DD></DL></DD></DL><DD>

</DD>​

cassiusclay

EOG Master

Yes

The Iranian people own their lives and their country.

Those demanding change and expanded freedoms are the ones who must do the heavy lifting, just as so many have done in other countries (including the USA) when those societies were on the precipice of monumental change.

It would be patently obscene for the US (for one example) to send military troops into a country of 70 million people where God knows who is who.

No need for American men and women to die here. The bravest of the brave among Iran's population may have come to their most important time of life.

I remain very interested to see how they fare in contrast to those millions of Iranians who disagree with their demands and who stand in support of the incumbent President.

well said...12io4j2w90

Scott L

EOG Enthusiast

Well we can guess where your sympathies lie,and you're not diggin for gold.
What do you think about ex US President Jimmy Carter stating that "the citizens of Palestine are treated more like animals than like human beings?"...

"I'll take, 'Because he's an idiot' for $1000 Alex!"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/17/AR2009061702233.html
After meeting former President Jimmy Carter in Gaza on Tuesday, Ahmed Youssef, the deputy Hamas foreign minister, said Wednesday that "Recognizing Israel is completely unacceptable." Youssef said the other two international conditions - renouncing violence and accepting past agreements between Israel and the Palestinians - are irrelevant. According to Hamas ideology, there is no room for a Jewish state in an Islamic Middle East. The militant group has sent dozens of suicide bombers into Israel, killing hundreds. Carter's meeting was itself unusual since the U.S., EU and Israel consider Hamas a terror group and refuse to deal with it directly.

Jimmy Carter: HAMAS Sympathizer.

<!-- start node.tpl.php -->
Posted Tue, 06/16/2009 - 15:36 by Javen

Even after a possible attempt on his life where his convoy nearly came across roadside bombs, Carter backs Hamas and claims they're not a terrorist group and wants them off the terror groups list. Here is the story.

Former President Jimmy Carter will urge the Obama administration to remove Hamas from the terrorist list, FOX News has learned.
Carter, a chief defender of the U.S.-designated terror group, said Tuesday he will meet with officials in the Obama administration in two days to discuss his latest trip to the Middle East.
Meanwhile, two Palestinian sources told FOX News that the group had discovered two roadside bombs planted near a crossing between Israel and Gaza on a path Carter's convoy took to meet with the group's leaders -- Hamas advisers, though, reportedly cast doubt on claims that extremists were trying to kill Carter.
Carter was granted special waivers by the U.S. Secret Service allowing him to enter Gaza. Employees of the U.S. executive branch are not allowed into the strip since a roadside bomb killed three U.S. security personnel in 2003.
Carter was visiting with Hamas leaders to try to persuade them to accept the international community's conditions for ending its boycott of the Islamic militant group.
The international community has asked Hamas to recognize Israel, renounce violence and accept previous peace deals as part of ongoing efforts for Palestinians overall to acquire their own country. Hamas has refused.
Carter said he feels personally responsible that American weapons were used to fight in Gaza Strip last year, when Israeli Defense Forces entered the strip to stop the launch of rockets from there into Israel.
Hamas is considered a terrorist group by the U.S. and Europe and has been shunned by much of the world. Israel and Egypt have kept Gaza's borders virtually closed since Hamas overran the territory in 2007, two years after Israel withdrew from Gaza in a handover to Palestinians.
According to two eyewitnesses, including a 15-year-old boy, the bombs that were found were intended to hit Carter's vehicle as he exited Gaza. There is some suspicion that Hamas extremists linked to Al Qaeda may be behind the attempt.

I don't think that even the Iranian on the street knows what's happening to a certain extent. Many commentators are pointing to Friday (tomorrow) as a big day because of the religious connection. Here's some of Totten's latest.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/b...ry/contentions/contentions?author_name=totten

<!--
[SIZE=-2] commentary's blogs: the horizon | contentions | connecting the dots [/SIZE]​
--> <!---Advertisement-->
Michael J. Totten's posts

? Previous Entries

Thursday, Jun 18

The Enigmatic Mousavi

Michael J. Totten - 06.18.2009 - 2:25 PM I do not trust Iranian opposition leader Mir Hossein Mousavi. He is part of the Khomeinist establishment, although a crudely sidelined one at the moment. His record as former prime minister isn?t much more attractive than Mahmoud Ahmadinejad?s record as president.
The democracy movement is rallying around him, but the activists should be careful. Ruhollah Khomeini managed to convince Iranian liberals and leftists to forge an alliance with him to topple the Shah Reza Pahlavi in 1979, but he brutally smashed them once the revolution swept the old regime out of power. Alliances between liberals and Islamists is extraordinarily dangerous ? for liberals.
At the same time, though, it?s possible that Mousavi has changed. Michael Ledeen seems to think so. ?He is not a revolutionary leader,? he wrote, ?he is a leader who has been made into a revolutionary by a movement that grew up around him?Whatever plans Mousavi had for a gradual transformation of the Islamic Republic, they have been overtaken by events.?
Robert F. Worth published an interesting profile of him in the New York Times. ?[Mousavi] is far from being a liberal in the Western sense,? he cautiously wrote, ?and it is not yet clear how far he will be willing to go in defending the broad democratic hopes he has come to embody.?
There are some interesting anecdotes in Worth?s piece, though we should be careful before assuming all this is true:
Yet like many founding figures of the revolution, he has come to believe that the incendiary radicalism of the revolution?s early days must be tempered in an era of peace and state-building, those who know him say. Some have seen a symbolic meaning in his decision to make Monday?s vast demonstration in Tehran a march from Enghelab (revolution) Square to Azadi (freedom) Square.
?He is a hybrid child of the revolution,? said Shahram Kholdi, a lecturer at the University of Manchester who has written about Mr. Moussavi?s political evolution. ?He is committed to Islamic principles but has liberal aspirations.?
[?]
Although he is deeply religious, Mr. Moussavi (the name is also often rendered in English as Mir Hossein Mousavi) appears to hold relatively liberal social views. His wife is a well-known professor of political science who has campaigned alongside him, often giving speeches and news conferences independently. When they were younger, he was sometimes introduced as ?the husband of Zahra Rahnavard.? His wife promised that if he was elected, he would advance women?s rights and appoint ?at least two or three women? to the cabinet.
His oldest daughter is a nuclear physicist. The youngest prefers not to wear the Islamic chador, and her parents do not mind, the relative said. ?There has never been any compulsion in the family,? the relative added.
In recent years, Mr. Moussavi was deeply dismayed by the excesses of the morality police and by the government?s decisions to shut down newspapers, his relative said.
He decided to run for president earlier this year to save Iran from what he said were Mr. Ahmadinejad?s ?destructive? policies.
Mousavi himself probably doesn?t know what his agenda will be a week or a month from today if he?s still alive and out of prison. If he wins the internal power struggle, topples ?Supreme Guide? Ali Khamenei, and becomes president, he might end up more Khrushchev than Gorbachev. History, though, is moving at light speed in Iran. And human personalities can be powerfully transformed during volcanic upheavals where the stakes are victory or destruction.

<!-- Posted in Contentions |--> 21 Comments ?
del.icio.us
Google
Facebook

Power Struggles Inside Iran

Michael J. Totten - 06.18.2009 - 1:23 PM Unconfirmed reports are circulating that Iran?s former president Ali Akbar Hashemi Rasfanjani is in the city of Qom trying to convince the Assembly of Experts to remove ?Supreme Guide? Ali Khamenei, the man who has been Iran?s real tyrant since the death of Ruhollah Khomeini. The clerics in the Assembly have the constitutional power to remove Khamenei, though it?s impossible to say if much would change if they did. Khamenei and Ahmadinejad?s men in the Revolutionary Guards, Basij militia, and Ansar Hezbollah have most of the firepower.
Then again, there is only so much the security forces can do if most of the country is against them. ?If the clergy become Khamenei?s enemy, just think about it,? Shahram Kholdi at University of Manchester said to Neil MacFarquhar at the New York Times. ?The shah made Qum his enemy, and they did not cease to plot against him until he was overthrown.?
It will be far better for the people of Iran and the rest of the world if the entire system is scrapped and replaced with a properly functioning democracy. Not even a ?moderate? Khomeinist like Mir Hossein Mousavi would likely win an election in Iran if every political faction in the country could nominate its own candidates.
It?s possible, though, that an Iran with Mousavi as president and without Khamenei as ?Supreme Guide? will tread more lightly on its citizens and its neighbors in Israel, Lebanon, and Iraq. Even founders and co-founders of ideological regimes sometimes mellow with age. Deng Xiaoping steered China out of Maoism, though not to democracy. China has not been a dangerous ideological power since.
Deng was no friend of Chinese democrats, though, and the idealistic young people in the streets of Iran rallying around Mousavi would be wise to remember that. It was Deng?s China, not Mao?s, that murdered the democracy movement in Tiananmen Square.

<!-- Posted in Contentions |--> 17 Comments ?
del.icio.us
Google
Facebook

The 1979 Playbook

Michael J. Totten - 06.18.2009 - 12:30 PM Iran today looks like it did in 1979 for a number of reasons. Such massive demonstrations against the government haven?t erupted once since the Shah Reza Pahlavi fell. And many ? it?s hard to say how many ? of the demonstrators are demanding an outright overthrow of the regime.
There is a difference this time, however. The political crisis was ignited by a coup d?etat by one part of the regime against another, as if a sitting president of the United States struck a blow against Congress as well as the electorate and sent the Marines into the streets to crack heads. The current uprising, then, is supported and even led by a large part of Iran?s sidelined ruling establishment. Many of these establishment members themselves took part in the 1979 revolution.
Reza Aslan on the Rachel Maddow show elaborated yesterday.
What?s really fascinating about what?s happening right now in 2009 is that it looks a lot like what was happening in 1979. And there?s a very simple reason for that. The same people are in charge ? I mean, Mousavi, Rafsanjani, Khatami, Medhi Karroubi, the other reformist candidate ? these were all the original revolutionaries who brought down the Shah to begin with, so they know how to do this right.
And so what you?re going to see tomorrow is something that was pulled exactly out of the playbook of 1979, which is that you have these massive mourning rallies, where you mourn the deaths of those who were martyred in the cause of freedom. And these things tend to get a little bit out of control, they often result in even more violence by the security forces and even more deaths, which then requires another mourning rally which is even larger, which then requires more violence from the government, and this just becomes an ongoing snowball that can?t be stopped.
That?s how the Shah was removed from power, was these mourning ceremonies. And so Mousavi very smartly calling for an official ? not a rally ? but an official day of mourning tomorrow. I think we?re going to see crowds that we haven?t even begun to see yet, and then follow that, on Friday, which is sort of the Muslim sabbath, the day of prayer, which is a traditionally a day of gathering anyway. This is just beginning, Rachel, this is just the beginning.

Not to be the party pooper but Michael Totten is a "neocon" (in liberalspeak).

In other words, Michael's a patriot.

Michael was one of the very few sources on the ground in Iraq who knew Petraeus would win when all the drones were calling it a "quagmire", "civil war" and "the new Vietnam".

His writing and reporting is second to none. :thumbsup

tank

EOG Dedicated

I don't think that even the Iranian on the street knows what's happening to a certain extent. Many commentators are pointing to Friday (tomorrow) as a big day because of the religious connection. Here's some of Totten's latest.
I think tomorrow will be a big day too.With the religious activities and a pissed off populace their will be fireworks.

The latest. From many of the pictures, I gather the impression that the crowds are (understandably) smaller. If accurate, expect the brutality to increase--since it apparently is effective. The question remains, however, what changes will this incident inflict on the Iranian government, even if the protesters are suppressed?

http://niacblog.wordpress.com/2009/06/20/the-latest-from-iran-saturday/

2:53 pm: The White House has just issued a statement on Iran:
THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
_____________________________________________________________________________________
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 20, 2009
Statement from the President on Iran
The Iranian government must understand that the world is watching. We mourn each and every innocent life that is lost. We call on the Iranian government to stop all violent and unjust actions against its own people. The universal rights to assembly and free speech must be respected, and the United States stands with all who seek to exercise those rights.
As I said in Cairo, suppressing ideas never succeeds in making them go away. The Iranian people will ultimately judge the actions of their own government. If the Iranian government seeks the respect of the international community, it must respect the dignity of its own people and govern through consent, not coercion.
Martin Luther King once said ? ?The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.? I believe that. The international community believes that. And right now, we are bearing witness to the Iranian peoples? belief in that truth, and we will continue to bear witness.
###
2:45 pm: From a contact in Tehran who called and was very shaken up.
?I was out form 4-10pm. Military and Basijis were everywhere they wouldn?t let anyone go though. Every time there was a group of us, they would shoot us with water guns and disperse all of us. They wouldn?t let us in to where we were supposed to protest.
They had paintball guns which they shot into the crowd and would arrest whoever had a paint mark on them. There was also tear gas everywhere, they would throw it at us and we would throw it back. But it was very dangerous because they all had guns.
I saw a body being carried away. People are afraid to go to the hospital to get treatment for fear of punishment.
Security and police have been confiscating cameras and arresting those who are taking footage. I saw this young guy taking a video and 5 people attacked him and throughout it all he help his hand up with a peace sign.- then they arrested him. They have also handcuffed students to the Tehran University fence.
We talk to some normal police and patrolling cops- they are nice and are trying to help people. But it is the Basij and anti-riot that are ruthless. They have been brought in from out of town. There are also many undercover cops.
Also, we don?t watch state media because it takes our hope away. I?m going to go back out, but my cell phone doesn?t work and I don?t know how I will find people.?
2:29 pm: While people chant through the night in Tehran, there is a debate going on in Washington that leads the NY Times to Gauge Whether Obama Is Creating Openings in Iran:
During the Bush years, Iran?s regime was able to coalesce support by uniting the country against a common enemy: President Bush, who called Iran a pillar of the ?axis of evil? in a speech that alienated many of the very reformers whom the United States was trying to woo. For much of his administration, even as he strengthened Iran by toppling Iran?s nemesis Saddam Hussein, Mr. Bush struck a confrontational public line against the Iranian regime.
The result, according to many experts here and in Iran, was that Iranians, including reformers, swallowed their criticism of the hard-line regime and united against the common enemy. Iranians with reformist sympathies even began advising Americans to stop openly supporting them, lest that open them to attack as pawns of America.
2:11 pm:
The sounds of ?Allah o Akbar? has just started, and is louder tonight than the nights before. And tonight, alongside their Allah o Akbar, people are chanting ?Mahmoud [Ahmadinejad] is committing crimes and the Supreme Leader is supporting him! ? from Iranbaan [translated]
She also says people are shouting ?ya [hail] hossein? again. In addition to referencing Mir Hossein Mousavi, the chants carry a greater meaning. ?Ya Hossein? is chanted in order to bring attention to injustice by Shias. It refers to the third Shia Imam, Imam Hossein, who is the iconic tragic figure of the Shia religion.
1:54 pm: An email from a reader:
Apparently the supreme leader of Iran is into shareware, doesn?t want to spend money on the full version of the web portal he is using to remove the ?Trial Version? logo right on front the front page. Check it out: http://english.khamenei.ir
I thought we could all use a smile an grim day like today. It makes for a very funny image given that Khamenei could never fill Khomeini?s shoes.
1:42 pm: Getty has published photos from today here, including a number of photos of two leading MEK figures, Maryam Rajavi and former president Bani-Sadr. The two leaders, who are strong advocates for an invasion and regime change in Iran, are now speaking out in support of Mousavi in an apparent bit of political opportunism, taking advantage of Mousavi?s huge popularity.

1:35 pm: There is a high quality video showing major violence at Shiraz University. At one point the camera man yells at security forces and pleads with them not to beat an old lady but they do so anyways. The video shows people calling security forces traitors, mercenaries, and other insults

I'm not going to get into all that with a caricature, but that does raise a more amusing question: Has your misanthropy been diagnosed yet, or are you still just treating it on your own?

Chaos in Iran: I’m ready for martyrdom, says Mousavi; Videos: Woman murdered in cold blood; Update: Obama calls on regime to end violence; Update: Obama goes out for ice cream; Rumor: 150 dead? Report: Mousavi’s office sends letter to Obama?

posted at 9:23 am on June 20, 2009 by Ed Morrissey
<small> Send to a Friend | Share on Facebook | printer-friendly </small>

Today is widely considered the crucial day of the Iranian crisis, which erupted when the ruling mullahs of the Guardian Council made their vote-rigging too obvious for their subjects to ignore. Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei warned Iranians yesterday that his patience was at an end with protests, but activists claimed that they would defy Khamenei and gather again in cities to protest the government and the election results. Today, sketchy reports have hundreds of police blocking access to key areas, including the use of teargas, to keep protestors out:
Heavily armed police prevented several thousand Iranian protesters Saturday from entering Revolution Square — one of the main protest sites in Tehran, a witness told CNN.
About a mile away, police kept the crowd back by throwing two canisters of tear gas at their feet, the witness said.
The Web site of the main opposition candidate, Mir Hossein Moussavi, quoted news reports as saying a flood of people were headed to the capital from surrounding towns.
Thus far, we’ve seen attempts by the government to spread misinformation about the rallies, and confusion and hesitation among the organizers. Protests today will almost certainly be an irrevocable act. If the government doesn’t act with force to suppress the protests, the mullahs will lose all credibility and will have to run for their lives. If they give the order to attack and the police don’t carry it out, they will have to run for their lives. They know the stakes and the risk, but the alternatives for them are all bad; their backs are against the wall — but they still have all the guns, at least for now.

We’ll keep an eye on reports and update as the day goes along. So far, it looks as though the confrontation will come.

Update (AP): Multiple Iranian twitterers are claiming there’s been some sort of explosion at Khomeini’s shrine, which they’re treating as the regime’s version of the Reichstag fire. There’s precedent for that in Iranian history, too.

Update (Ed): NBC’s Today has a good, if basic, report this morning:
<center> <iframe src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/31460976#31460976" scrolling="no" width="425" frameborder="0" height="339"></iframe>
Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

</center> Update (AP): The Khaleej Times says the explosion at Khomeini’s shrine was caused by a suicide bomber. Hmmm.

Update (AP): Two mind-blowing videos for you. The second is familiar; it’s clearly taken at the same assault on the Basij complex that I wrote about earlier this week. Watch all the way through and you’ll see Iranian protesters actually fall after being shot. I don’t know where the first clip is from — it was uploaded by BBC Persia today but could also be from the Basij complex incident a few days ago — but it’s the closest thing I’ve seen yet to all-out war.

As I write this, Iranian twitterers are reporting use of water cannons, teargas, gunshots, and even some sort of burning agent being dropped on the crowds by helicopters. There’s still no confirmation as far as I know that a bomb really did go off at Khomeini’s shrine, but Reuters is now reporting that Mousavi supporters have set fire to a building being used by Ahmadinejad supporters. And now, suddenly, Mousavi is making some sort of statement where he says he’s prepared for martyrdom. Sounds like the gloves are finally all the way off.
<object width="560" height="340">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y_kaZpOsYQ8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">​
</object>​
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QWiSlVddLH8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">​
</object>​
Update (AP): Anecdotally, after following them all week, I can tell you that the tone of Iranian twitterers is strikingly different from what it’s been before. Some are openly asking people to pray for them. The fear is palpable.

Here’s a poignant video in Farsi with English subtitles that’s making the rounds today. The din you hear in the background is Tehranians screaming “Allahu Akbar” in defiance of Khamenei last night.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pKUZuv6_bus&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">​
</object>​
Update (AP): A comparatively calm but significant new clip: According to NIAC, protesters can be heard chanting “Marg bar Khamenei,” i.e. “Death to Khamanei.” It’s not about Ahmadinejad anymore.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GkGM07OvwRA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">​
</object>​
Update (AP): If you’re unfamiliar with the cast of characters in Iran, Time’s primer is useful. Meanwhile, new video of what the streets look like in Tehran today. Note the end, where a few protesters display nightsticks they’ve seized from the Basij — to cheers from the crowd.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bfwcWsBfkoI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">​
</object>​
Update (AP): To see just how bad things have gotten, brace yourself and click here. Strong content warning.

Update (AP): Mousavi knows the regime can’t let him walk free forever and is calling for a strike if he’s detained. Who steps in if he’s jailed, I wonder. Karroubi? Rafsanjani, whom Khamenei would be loath to arrest lest it inflame the clerics?

Gosh, if only the U.S. had troops stationed in some neighboring country or countries so that we could start feeding weapons to the protesters.

Update (AP): Not sure if this is wise under the circumstances, but Israel’s minister for strategic affairs is now openly predicting a revolution — with no resulting change in Iran’s nuke program. Meanwhile, a provocative report from NIAC:
This morning a friend of NIAC who gets Iranian Satellite TV here said that state-run media showed President Obama speaking about Iran this morning. However, instead of translating what he actually said, the translator reportedly quoted Obama as saying he “supports the protesters against the government and they should keep protesting.
Assuming this report is correct, it shows the Iranian government is eager to portray Obama as a partisan supporting the demonstrators.
Update (AP): A HuffPo reader reports that the news about a bombing at Khomeini’s shrine appears to be yet another regime lie:
“I’m watching state TV here in Dubai and they just did a report on the bombing at the mausoleum. There was NO DAMAGE. All they showed was a broken window saying the “terrorists” luckily blew themselves up outside the building before doing any damage inside. The “bombing” was clearly a fraud as there was NO DAMAGE done to the mausoleum other than a broken window they showed at the entrance of the building. It clearly looked like there was NO BOMBING, no explosion fragments or blood shown just one shattered window. Also a correction to my previous e-mail. The program said the youths had been talking to “friends” in the U.K. and the U.S. on the phone about causing destruction in Iran rather than actually going to the U.S. and being trained. Important difference but the subtext is the same. They’re clearly building a case for foreign interference i.e. the U.K and U.S.”
Update (AP): Dear god. Here’s another extremely graphic video of the murder of the young woman I linked up above. NIAC translates the Facebook description as follows: “A young woman who was standing aside with her father watching the protests was shot by a basij member hiding on the rooftop of a civilian house. He had clear shot at the girl and could not miss her. However, he aimed straight her heart. I am a doctor, so I rushed to try to save her. But the impact of the gunshot was so fierce that the bullet had blasted inside the victim’s chest, and she died in less than 2 minutes.”

Update (AP): Another one that’s going viral shot at Shiraz University. Note at about 90 seconds in how the police trap women against the gate and break out the nightsticks. Click the image to watch.

Update (AP): Multiple reports on Twitter now that people are shouting from the rooftops — literally — at Khamenei and the regime.

Update (AP): Verrry interesting: Rooftop shouts now being heard in Mashad, the Shiites’ second holiest city. Proof that the clerics are coming around to the people’s side?

Update (AP): Another murder in Tehran. Skip ahead to 3:25 to see the latest victim of Iran’s “robust debate,” or watch from the beginning and you’ll find protesters picking up rocks and chanting “Marg bar dictator.”

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VYaL4mA-bSY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">​
</object>​
Update (AP): A statement from the White House:
The Iranian government must understand that the world is watching. We mourn each and every innocent life that is lost. We call on the Iranian government to stop all violent and unjust actions against its own people. The universal rights to assembly and free speech must be respected, and the United States stands with all who seek to exercise those rights.
As I said in Cairo, suppressing ideas never succeeds in making them go away. The Iranian people will ultimately judge the actions of their own government. If the Iranian government seeks the respect of the international community, it must respect the dignity of its own people and govern through consent, not coercion.
Martin Luther King once said - “The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.” I believe that. The international community believes that. And right now, we are bearing witness to the Iranian peoples’ belief in that truth, and we will continue to bear witness.
Update (AP): An ominous rumor from Tehran Bureau: “good source: Hospital close to the scene in Tehran: 30-40 dead thus far as of 11pm and 200 injured. Police taking names of incoming injured.”

Update (AP): I linked the Facebook video of the young woman being murdered by the Basij earlier but it deserves wide dissemination so I’m giving you the embeddable LiveLeak version too. Forward the link around.
<object width="450" height="370">

<embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/0db_1245519048" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="370">​
</object>​
Update (AP): More Twitter reports trickling in about acid or some other sort of corrosive agent being dropped on protesters. And there’s a hot rumor that the Canadian embassy in Tehran has its gates closed to the injured, even as many other embassies have theirs opened. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Update (AP): It’s raining rocks on the streets of Tehran.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/549KZUU2tdU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">​
</object>​
Update (AP): Reuel Marc Gerecht tries to answer the million-dollar question: Why would Khamenei risk his supreme authority to fix the election for a disposable goon like Ahmadinejad?
[/quote]Khamenei, who worked with and struggled against Mousavi for a decade, knows the former prime minister politically as well as anyone. The supreme leader knows that what Mousavi lacks in charisma he has always made up in doggedness…

Khamenei acted so crudely and rashly on June 12 because he’d already seen this movie. What’s happening in Iran now is all about democracy, about the contradictory and chaotic bedfellows that it makes, about the questioning of authority and the personal curiosity that it unleashes. Khamenei knows what George H.W. Bush’s “realist” national security adviser Brent Scowcroft surely knows, too: Democracy in Iran implies regime change. Where Iranians in the 1990s could try to play games with themselves–be in favor of greater democracy but refrain from saying publicly that the current government was illegitimate–this fiction is no longer possible. Khamenei has forced Mousavi and, more important, the people behind him into opposition to himself and the political system he leads. Unless Mousavi gives up, and thereby deflates the millions who’ve gathered around him, a permanent opposition to Khamenei and his constitutionally ordained supremacy has now formed. Like it or not, Mousavi has become the new Khatami–except this time the opposition is stronger and led by a man of considerable intestinal fortitude.[/quote]
I don’t get it. If Mousavi’s famous for his perseverance, the last thing you’d want to do is antagonize him and his youth movement by defrauding him.

It’s practically begging for an uprising. The smart move would be to placate him by bringing him into the regime and then compromising with him on some basic reforms; that, at least, would keep the regime in place. It makes more sense to me to think that Khamenei feared opposing Ahmadinejad because he’s been such a generous patron to the Revolutionary Guard. If Mousavi won and Khamenei endorsed it, the Guard might stage a coup to protect the gravy train they’ve been riding for the past four years. That’s my theory and I’m sticking to it.

Update (AP): Have we already reached the point in the crackdown where negotiating with Iran is unthinkable? I know The One has his heart set on it, but the point’s going to come — if it hasn’t already — where the regime behaves so monstrously that he simply can’t afford a photo op with them. As a thought experiment, imagine that the tanks roll tomorrow and then Khamenei turns around on Monday and offers to give up the nuclear program in exchange for the lifting of all sanctions and full diplomatic recognition. Can Obama make that deal now, knowing that it would legitimize these monsters?

Update (AP): Uh oh: The latest Twitter rumor claims there’s a tank in Azadi Square.

Update (AP): CBS reporter Mark Knoller reports that the president decided today of all days would be a good time for a leisurely trip to the ice-cream parlor. Quoth Jim Treacher: “Imagine if Bush went on an ice cream run during something like this. He’d be ‘Worst Person in the World’ every day forever.” Any lefties care to dispute that, especially in light of the longstanding faux outrage over this clip?

Update (AP): The latest unverified/rumored death toll is 150. In other news, Obama ordered a small cup of vanilla.

Update (AP): If Gutfeld’s this pissed about the skateboarding photo op, wait until he hears about the ice cream trip.
Am I an old fart or am I right to be pissed that some jackass is skateboarding down the halls of the White House while all this Iranian shit is going down?…
Right now, people are risking their lives for the glimmer of freedom, and Tony Hawk is in the White House tweeting about Frosted Flakes.
Update (AP): I’m skeptical that Mousavi would send a letter to Obama without publicizing it, but for what it’s worth, Michael Ledeen says he’s got a copy. Excerpt:
In the name of the Iranian people, we want you to know that when you recently made the statement “Achmadinejad or Mousavi? Two of a kind,” we consider this as a grave and deep insult, not just to Mr. Mousavi but especially against the judgment of the Iranian people, against our moral conviction and intelligence, especially those of the young generation that comprises a population of 31 million.

It is a specially grave insult for those who are now fighting for democracy and freedom, and an unwarranted gift and even praise for Mr. Khamenei, whose security forces are now killing peaceful Iranians in the streets of every major city in the country.
Update (AP): If Iranian goons are willing to shoot women dead in the street, I guess it makes sense that they’re willing to drag the wounded from hospitals where they’re being treated. Note that communications from the notorious Evin prison have been cut off, too. I’ve got a nutty hunch that whatever’s going on inside is a bit worse than waterboarding.

Update (AP): CNN is airing YouTube vids of today’s brutality nonstop, which makes me think American public opinion of the regime will soon be so poisonous as to make diplomacy impossible. The One simply won’t be able to justify shaking these cretins’ bloody hands. If that’s so, it means negotiations are dead and a desperate Israeli attack on Iran’s nuclear sites is assured — unless the regime is overthrown. The stakes couldn’t be higher.

Update (AP): I keep waiting for news to break that Hamas or Hezbollah has attacked Israel, as Iran could use a distraction right now to appeal to the protesters’ sympathies. Maybe this week? Southern Iraq would be an even more attractive target, as it would embarrass the U.S. The fact that they haven’t done that may be among the best evidence yet of how weak their influence has become in that part of the country.

Update (AP): Just posted at Mousavi’s Facebook page, feast your eyes on Iranian police rushing a crowd of protesters, unsheathing the batons, and swinging for the fences. The chaos starts a little more than a minute in.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R0R8ViDhWvo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">​
</object>​
Update (AP): The sounds of terror: Screams in the night as the Basij break into people’s homes.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xv60QkqpAIE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">​
</object>​
Update (AP): I’m skeptical, but supposedly this clip shows the good guys getting a measure of revenge by lighting a gas line … that leads straight into a Basij complex in eastern Tehran. Watch for the boom five seconds in.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cGyZo2jOOYY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">​
</object>

scrimmage

2 takes on Iran outside the obvious,mainstream media influenced,mass public opinion on the subject.
Charting Stocks points out how the legitimate outcome of Hamas' election by the Palestinians in Gaza was not acceptable to certain parties,and the long history of the US overthrowing other democratically elected governments.
Paul Craig Roberts documents CIA plans to destabalize Iran "through a major escalation of covert operations"...

<TABLE width="90%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%"><TABLE id=table3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=9></TD><TD>Do We Really Care About Democracy? #IranElection;

By Charting Stocks

June 20, 2009 "Charting Stocks" -- After being victims of multiple false and propagandistic media campaigns one would think that we would be able to read between the lines when our mainstream media sources act in lockstep with one another in marketing the agenda du jour.
If you doubt that the Iranian election media bombardment was deliberate, ask yourself - Do you know who won last months Panamanian election ? Did you even know there was an election? It?s not your fault if you don?t. Actually, I don?t see how you could know without a functioning media.

Have you heard much about the democratic elections in Saudi Arabia lately? Of course not. They don?t have elections. Any media outrage for the people of Saudi Arabia? A country ruled by one of the most repressive regimes on the planet. But hey, they?re our allies. We don?t talk about them (and certainly won?t tweet it).

What about the 2006 (monitored) democratic election in Gaza in which the people resisted western threats and bribes and elected Hamas as their leader? We responded by punishing the people of Gaza and cutting aid to the region. Well, they committed a supreme crime. They voted the wrong way and must be punished for it. I?m waiting for a sympathetic #GazaElection hashtag on Twitter, though I won?t hold my breathe.

Have you heard ANYTHING from the mainstream media of the democratically elected governments that we REMOVED? The fact is that we don?t care about democratic elections.

Dr. Michael Parenti, is one of the nations leading political scholars. In his book "Against Empire" Parenti tells us that ?The United States has overthrown democratically elected governments in Guatemala, Guyana, The Dominican Republic, Brazil, Chile, Uruguay, Syria, Indonesia, Greece, Argentina, Bolivia, Haiti, and numerous other nations were overthrown by pro-capitalist militaries that were funded and aided by the US national security state.?

The #IranElection hype has nothing to do with democracy and everything to do with effecting US public opinion. Why are ?Iranian?s? microblogging in English and on Twitter (which they do NOT use)? According to Mehdi Yahyanejad, manager of a Farsi-language news site based in Los Angeles,?Twitter?s impact inside Iran is zero..here, there is lots of buzz, but once you look . . . you see most of it are Americans tweeting among themselves.? The Alexa rankings confirm that Twitter?s penetration in Iran is nearly 0%.

Excerpts from:
http://informationclearinghouse.info/article22878.htm
Are the Iranian Election Protests Another US Orchestrated ?Color Revolution??
By Paul Craig Roberts

June 20, 2009 "Information Clearing House" -- -A number of commentators have expressed their idealistic belief in the purity of Mousavi, Montazeri, and the westernized youth of Terhan. The CIA destabilization plan, announced two years ago (see below) has somehow not contaminated unfolding events...

Commentators are "explaining" the Iran elections based on their own illusions, delusions, emotions, and vested interests. Whether or not the poll results predicting Ahmadinejad's win are sound, there is, so far, no evidence beyond surmise that the election was stolen. However, there are credible reports that the CIA has been working for two years to destabilize the Iranian government.

On May 23, 2007, Brian Ross and Richard Esposito reported on ABC News: ?The CIA has received secret presidential approval to mount a covert ?black? operation to destabilize the Iranian government, current and former officials in the intelligence community tell ABC News.?

On May 27, 2007, the London Telegraph independently reported: ?Mr. Bush has signed an official document endorsing CIA plans for a propaganda and disinformation campaign intended to destabilize, and eventually topple, the theocratic rule of the mullahs.?

A few days previously, the Telegraph reported on May 16, 2007, that Bush administration neocon warmonger John Bolton told the Telegraph that a US military attack on Iran would ?be a ?last option? after economic sanctions and attempts to foment a popular revolution had failed.?

On June 29, 2008, Seymour Hersh reported in the New Yorker: ?Late last year, Congress agreed to a request from President Bush to fund a major escalation of covert operations against Iran, according to current and former military, intelligence, and congressional sources. These operations, for which the President sought up to four hundred million dollars, were described in a Presidential Finding signed by Bush, and are designed to destabilize the country?s religious leadership.?

The protests in Tehran no doubt have many sincere participants. The protests also have the hallmarks of the CIA orchestrated protests in Georgia and Ukraine.
It requires total blindness not to see this.

Excerpts from:
http://informationclearinghouse.info/article22875.htm

The government can likely control most of the phone system for a while, but have less ability to control access to the WWW.

This thread becoming a bit unwieldy what with all the uploaded video clips

But we'll be on Page 4 shortly

GREAT TO SEE Mark L logging some good hours on one of my favorite web stops - The Huffington Post!

The excrement has impacted the powered, oscillating air-current distribution device in Iran. These aren't videos of peaceful marchers seeking redress of grievances from their lawfully-elected government, most of these videos illustrate actions hinting at a nascent revolution. . .

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Footage from yesterday's unrest in Tehran

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Id2cyvGd3HM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>
Posted by Ali at <a class="timestamp-link" href="http://raymankojast.blogspot.com/2009/06/footage-from-yesterdays-unrest-in.html" rel="bookmark" title="permanent link"><abbr class="published" title="2009-06-21T13:24:00-04:00">1:24 PM</abbr> 0 comments

Video Clip containing the hightlights of the spring 2009 incidents in Iran with Shahin Najafi's "Bamdad" Song played on it

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VyzYWdvY4x8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>
Posted by Ali at <a class="timestamp-link" href="http://raymankojast.blogspot.com/2009/06/video-clip-containing-hightlights-of.html" rel="bookmark" title="permanent link"><abbr class="published" title="2009-06-21T13:09:00-04:00">1:09 PM</abbr> 0 comments

Khatami calls for neutral probe into election

As unrest continues in post-election Iran, former President Mohammad Khatami proposes an impartial committee to investigate complaints about results of the disputed presidential vote.

"A fair, professional, impartial and brave team, which is also entrusted by the protesters, and whose judgment can be accepted will be the resolution to the current unrest," IRNA quoted the former Reformist president as saying in a statement on Sunday.

"It will also be a positive step toward strengthening the Islamic establishment and restoring public confidence. It will also manifest vital decision-making in the interests of the Iranian nation and ideals of the Islamic Revolution in a sensitive juncture," Khatami added.

"An election has been held in Iran while a large group of people, who created the epic, do not accept the vote result and express their protest against it."

Source: Press TV

Supporters of Mir-Hossein Mousavi, the last Iranian prime minister who garnered a mere one-third of the votes, have held rallies in Tehran and other cities since incumbent President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was declared victor of the June 12 election.

Khatami hailed the massive turnout in the crucial poll as one of the "great achievements of the Islamic Revolution" and urged officials to prepare the ground for further participation of the people.

"The protest by the Iranian people and their civil attitude in rallies showed their vigilance and responsibility. It also indicated the undeniable fact that the nation has inevitable rights which should be observed by any system," said the former president.

Mir-Hossein Mousavi, the main rival of Ahmadinejad, and Mehdi Karroubi, another defeated presidential candidate, reject the presidential election as fraudulent and demand a re-run.

President Ahmadinejad affirms that the election was 'fair and healthy'.

The protests, the largest witnessed since the 1979 revolution, were never approved legally. Casualties have also been reported in the results of the protests.

On Friday, Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei called for an end to street protests, assuring the public that the Islamic Republic has 'by no means' betrayed the vote of the nation.

SF/SC/MD
Posted by Ali at <a class="timestamp-link" href="http://raymankojast.blogspot.com/2009/06/khatami-calls-for-neutral-probe-into.html" rel="bookmark" title="permanent link"><abbr class="published" title="2009-06-21T12:46:00-04:00">12:46 PM</abbr> 0 comments

Each Iranian is a Reporter

With government's major crackdown on ways of communication and foreign media in Iran, Iranians are using cell phones to capture footage and pictures of the recent unrest in Iran.

Date and location is unknown
Posted by Ali at <a class="timestamp-link" href="http://raymankojast.blogspot.com/2009/06/each-iranian-is-reporter.html" rel="bookmark" title="permanent link"><abbr class="published" title="2009-06-21T12:34:00-04:00">12:34 PM</abbr> 0 comments

Tehran June 21 Forsat Shirazi Street

people are chanting “don’t be afraid, we are all together” and "death to the dictator"

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bt0GuhbOX1g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>
Posted by Milad at <a class="timestamp-link" href="http://raymankojast.blogspot.com/2009/06/tehran-june-21-forsat-shirazi-street.html" rel="bookmark" title="permanent link"><abbr class="published" title="2009-06-21T11:42:00-04:00">11:42 AM</abbr> 0 comments

Tehran Iran June 21st 6:45 am

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o1yfI42X5dI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>
Posted by Milad at <a class="timestamp-link" href="http://raymankojast.blogspot.com/2009/06/tehran-iran-june-21st-645-am.html" rel="bookmark" title="permanent link"><abbr class="published" title="2009-06-21T11:36:00-04:00">11:36 AM</abbr> 0 comments

People set Khamenei's billboard on fire!

Tehran, Iran, June 20th

Posted by Ali at <a class="timestamp-link" href="http://raymankojast.blogspot.com/2009/06/people-set-khameneis-billboard-on-fire.html" rel="bookmark" title="permanent link"><abbr class="published" title="2009-06-21T11:10:00-04:00">11:10 AM</abbr> 0 comments

Latest footage from Tehran today

June 21, 2009 Tehran

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HZ_oWNEGhZE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>
Posted by Ali at <a class="timestamp-link" href="http://raymankojast.blogspot.com/2009/06/latest-footage-from-tehran-today.html" rel="bookmark" title="permanent link"><abbr class="published" title="2009-06-21T10:55:00-04:00">10:55 AM</abbr> 0 comments

Tehran, Iran, June 20th

SWEEEEEEEEEET!

:houra :+excited- 91023i2ndw;l :houra :+excited- 91023i2ndw;l :houra :+excited- 91023i2ndw;l

Prayers for the courageous warriors in Iran.

As the great prophet President Bush so eloquently stated, "freedom is the right of every person and the future of every nation." :thumbsup

Memo to the Kenyan (who went for ice cream while Iranians were shot at, I may add):

THE GOOD GUYS NEED FIREPOWER!

Sullivan turned me onto this spectacular video from BBC/Persian. . .The trolls here could learn that Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton and Paine can have funny-sounding names and dark skins, too. . .
I am attempting to post the video itself, but the link through Sullivan's blurb works.

<!-- sphereit start --> And I've seen a lot. Just watch this pitched battle in the streets between a crowd and the riot police (via BBC Farsi). And watch it to the very end, as the police suddenly turn tail and run. Yes, you can hear the shouts 'Hurrah!" and I confess I found myself yelling it at my lap-top as well. Let us hope this is a microcosm of the whole thing. Faced with so many with such determination, the will of the regime will crumble.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/persian/iran/2009/06/090621_ag_street_clashes.shtml

Patrick Lang, a person whose opinion I find credible and valuable, thinks the "game has changed" with the latest developments. . .
I include Lang's Bio only to show his qualifications and demonstrate the basis for my reliance on the value of his opinion. . .

"Game changer" in Iran

The paradigm that I have been thinking within regarding the future of Iranian-US-Israeli relations is no longer valid.
You could see that today in the appearance of Bibi Natanyahu on "Meet the Press." When pressed by David Gregory concerning Iran, he displayed hesitation and uncertainty in his responses. That is a good thing.
A fuse has been lit in Iran. The mullahcracy has shown itself to not be the expression of God's will in the vilayet al-faqih. No, they are shown now to be just another bunch of sleezy politicians intent on keeping all power and willig to kill to accomplixh that goal. Khamenei may win this round with the IRGC and Baseejis behind him but there will be other rounds in this contest. The higher ranks of the Shia scholars have already begun to split. How many among them will want to be associated with the suppression of popular will?
A brutal repression of a popular uprising is rarely decisive. The British put down the Easter, 1916 revolt in Dublin with great ferocity, but six years later they no longer thought it was worthwhile to try to hold Ireland. There are many such examples.
This IS a game changer. The process may take a while but nothing will be the same after this. pl

Biography

Colonel W. Patrick Lang is a retired senior officer of U.S. Military Intelligence and U.S. Army Special Forces (The Green Berets). He served in the Department of Defense both as a serving officer and then as a member of the Defense Senior Executive Service for many years. He is a highly decorated veteran of several of America?s overseas conflicts including the war in Vietnam. He was trained and educated as a specialist in the Middle East by the U.S. Army and served in that region for many years. He was the first Professor of the Arabic Language at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. In the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) he was the ?Defense Intelligence Officer for the Middle East, South Asia and Terrorism,? and later the first Director of the Defense Humint Service.? For his service in DIA, he was awarded the ?Presidential Rank of Distinguished Executive.? This is the equivalent of a British knighthood. He is an analyst consultant for many television and radio broadcasts.

I stumbled across this. . .It isn't quite the battles of Lexington and Concord, but you can see it from here. . .

http://www.rferl.org/content/Elys_T...te_Trails_We_Could_Hear_Gunshots/1759113.html
Ely?s Tehran Diary: 'Tear Gas Left White Trails, We Could Hear Gunshots'

Protesters cover their faces from tear gas during clashes with riot police in Tehran on June 20

June 21, 2009
By Elham Ahmadi, Tehran

Saturday, June 20, 2009

"Bia pishe baba? ("Come to Daddy?s arms"). There was a beautiful field of green. My father was waiting for me at the top of the hill and I was running into his arms. The sun was shining, the butterflies dancing on the wild corn poppies...

Riiiiiiiinnnnnnngggggggg.

?Maryam has been arrested, the newspaper has been closed, there are guards everywhere, don?t come to work, there is no more work," screamed Hooman on the phone and then hung up.

This was a rude awakening. The mobile phones were still working so I called Jaleh and asked her if she was going to attend today?s rally. "Didn?t you hear the people?s reply to the leader? Didn?t you go to the rooftop and didn't you scream Allah Akbar [God is great]?" asked Jaleh as if she knew all of the answers beforehand

Then, sarcastically, she said, ?Write your will, 3:30 p.m. in front of Tehran University, let's take the path of no return, no turning back, no turning back."

Lunch

I had lunch with Jaleh and Hooman in Farahzaad (northwest Tehran) and decided to park the car near Azadi Square and take a taxi back to Enghelaab Square in order to be able to get out of the way in case there was a disturbance.

As we reached Azadi Avenue we saw that the whole area looked like a big fort. "All of our friends have gathered," murmured Hooman as he looked at the ?armed-to-the-teeth? group of ?anti-riot? police, plainclothes militia, black Sarallah force, Basij paramilitary forces, and the regular police. Ely's Diary: An Extraordinary Day In Tehran

We parked the car to the north of the street near a highway exit. ?Hand guns, sharp-shooter rifles, short-barreled rifles, tear gas, paintball guns, pepper spray, boy we are going to a party," said Jaleh referring to the security forces' armory.

There was no news from Maryam and the mobile phones went dead at 3:15 p.m.

We started our march somewhere close to Tehran University. Near the gates of the university, the ?dogs of war? pushed people to the south side of the street, beating anyone near the gate. We found out why as Hooman (who is about six feet tall) told us, "the university students are chanting behind the gate and the dogs are standing right outside."

We saw about 100 guards in black armor. They looked like a Japanese Samurai army facing the gates of Tehran University which was -- and is -- a symbol of defiance. (A picture of people demonstrating under the gates of Tehran University is printed on some banknotes.)

By the time we got to Enghelab Square tension was mounting. People were walking in small groups of five without chanting and without showing any colors. But all that changed right after we passed Jamalzadeh Avenue as the small groups of people slowly started clumping together.

4:20 p.m.

A small-framed girl who was walking next to me reached in her purse and took out a green wristband. She raised her hands in the air and made a victory sign. We all followed.

"Towards Freedom," Hooman said aloud referring not only to the square ("Azadi" means "freedom" in Persian). His voice was hoarse from nights of chanting ?Allah Akbar? on the rooftops.

The security forces had everything planned and they stopped us in front of the Dampezeshki University (Veterinary University). They blocked us from the front, back, and the street side. So we pushed ourselves out into the street and then the war began.

They charged towards us and the victory signs became screams. Jaleh, Hooman, and I held each others' hands as the wild dogs attacked and people scrambled and fell over each other. Within seconds they reached us and they were swiping at everyone with clubs, chains, and some innovative piece of black rubber that looked like a short water hose. Ely's Diary: In The Thick Of Things

We hid behind Hooman but he was hit on the leg and fell on top of us. Jaleh was hit on her face and I fell on my right ankle. Everyone was yelling and screaming. At first we were very scared but that fear disappeared after the first hit. People started chanting ?Natarsim, natarsim maa hame ba ham hastim? ("We are not afraid because we are united").

5:00 p.m.

Tehran is officially a war zone.
Our peaceful demonstration quickly turned into a riot. Jaleh, Hooman, and I just joined the flow and by the time we got to Navab Avenue, we had been attacked three times.

Blood was everywhere. Right after Navab Avenue the guards started firing tear gas into the crowd and boy did that hurt. As all three of us escaped into a small street choking from the gas, the security forces attacked us from behind.

I looked back and saw a young man fall to the ground. I screamed ?khodaaaaaaa? ("God"), Hooman quickly ran towards him, and the three of us carried him to a corner. He had been hit on the head, his eyes rolled back, and could not comprehend anything.

Young people started throwing stones back at the security forces and charged back at them. This gave us a bit of time to take the young man into a corner and try to help him.

Hooman's bruised back

Jaleh is a nurse so she started treating him. I held his head on my lap and Hooman held his legs high in order to get the blood circulation back to his head. We did not care what was going on around us. We just wanted to revive the young man who seemed to be about 18.

"What is your name?" I asked him trying to make him talk. He sat up, shrugged us off, and started to walk again. "What is your name?? I yelled again. "Omid,? he said and marched on towards Azadi. Omid means hope.

Limping, we tried to keep up with Omid but couldn't. Our eyes were burning from the tear gas. In a couple of minutes, he was gone.

5:30 p.m.

?Ely! Hooman! Omid!" screamed Jaleh. The police and plainclothes militia had cornered Omid and were beating him.

We ran towards him and attacked the dogs. Hooman charged towards the guards in the street, opened his arms wide, and with his operatic bass voice screamed ?Bezan, Bezan" ("hit me, hit me").

The guard raised his club but his hands were shaking. He then brought his club down. I arched over Omid as Jaleh was screaming ?bi gheirat? ("dishonored"). People started chanting ?bi gheirat? to the guards and the police. I felt a burning on my back as I tried to shield Omid, he was crying, ?I just wanna go home."

They were hitting me hard, on my hands and my legs, and suddenly there was darkness as I felt a terrible pain in the back of my head and then sounds and vision blurred into oblivion.

Time unknown

"Daddy, where are you? They are killing your dear little girl," was the sound circling in the sea of darkness.

?Ely, Ely, Ely,? Jaleh was whispering as she was spraying water onto my face.

We were in my car speeding away from the war zone: cars, buses, trash cans, and motorbikes were on fire, stones flying through the sky. Tear gas canisters left white trails in the sky; we could hear the sound of gunshots.

I looked out of the car window and for the first time I had tears in my eyes. ?We were supposed to go to Azadi, where are we going?" I mumbled. ?For now, anywhere but here," Hooman said, turning his head towards me, dried blood on his right shoulder, and with a glint in his hazel eyes said, ?for now, of course.?

Elham Ahmadi is pseudonym for a journalist in the Iranian capital, Tehran, who contributed this piece to RFE/RL's Radio Farda

Iran escalation: Rafsanjani?s daughter arrested, BBC journalist expelled; Update: Full speed ahead on negotiations, says Lugar

posted at 11:18 am on June 21, 2009 by Allahpundit
<small> Send to a Friend | Share on Facebook | printer-friendly </small>

There?s a hot rumor going around on Twitter that Mousavi?s been arrested too but I can?t find anything online to back that up. Rafsanjani?s daughter has been detained, though, along with four other members of the family, although we should call that what it is and refer to it more properly as hostage-taking. Rafsanjani himself is widely thought to be rounding up clerical opposition to the regime; now he knows the price he?ll pay if he follows through.

Tehran itself is reportedly ?eerily calm? today, and some of the Iranian Tweeters who have been updating constantly have gone conspicuously, ominously silent in the last few hours. Even so, the government?s kicking out BBC reporters in preparation for god knows what. It?s a testament to how peaceful the protesters have been so far that Iranian state TV is forced to run inane news coverage of Wimbledon instead of showcasing footage of Mousavi supporters behaving violently, although rare examples of people fighting back are trickling out online. You saw one of them late last night in that vid I posted of protesters supposedly igniting a Basij gas line; here?s another stirring clip posted this morning of the crowd facing down the Basij and chasing them off. Below that is footage of what purports to be protesters coping with that mysterious burning agent being dropped by Iranian helicopters. Looks like they?re reacting to regular old tear gas to me, but you be the judge. More updates to follow as news breaks, needless to say.
<object width="450" height="370">

<embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/7bf_1245551339" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="370">​
</object>​

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0h9c47nTUPY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">​
</object>​
Update: Republican Dick Lugar predicts a ?very brutal outcome? to the uprising ? and says the U.S. should negotiate with the regime anyway. Way to cover Obama?s ass, Dick. He and The One are pals, incidentally; I wonder if he said this at his behest.

Update: Keep your eye on statements from Ali Larijani. He?s the former chief nuke negotiator and current head of Iran?s parliament. He?s also a favorite of Khamenei and a bitter enemy of Ahmadinejad, which puts him in an awkward position under the circumstances. NIAC reports that he accused the Guardian Council this morning of taking Ahmadinejad?s side, which could suggest that he?s tilting away from Khamenei and the regime and towards Mousavi. That?d be a significant defection, if so.

mr merlin

EOG Master

I'm a little disappointed with the death toll so far, I had hoped the harvest would be much higher. Perhaps we are not hearing the true total due to the media restrictions?

Keep posting the news 4624 as the more publicity this thing gets the more brutal will be the crackdown.

Scott L

EOG Enthusiast

"Full speed ahead on negotiations, says Lugar"

What amazes me about Lunger is, every chance he has to make an ass of himself, he takes it. Is this idiot ever right about a single issue?

"Full speed ahead on negotiations, says Lugar"

What amazes me about Lunger is, every chance he has to make an ass of himself, he takes it. Is this idiot ever right about a single issue?

About as often as our resident Cheetos-eatin' teenage porn addict.

scrimmage

WSWS.org article distills the essence of what the so called "Green Revolution" is all about.
Most of the American public can be convinced to support almost anything,since they're mainly plugged in to sources which disseminate a basically officially crafted version of "reality".

For a socialist, not
a ?color? revolution in Iran
22 June 2009
By Peter Symonds
Excerpts from:
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2009/jun2009/pers-j22.shtml

From the outset, the color-coded campaign to replace incumbent President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad with Mir Hossein Mousavi has been a highly orchestrated political operation backed by the US and managed by dissident elements of the ruling elite?in particular, former president and billionaire businessman Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani?for their own ends.

Undoubtedly, many students, young people and others support Mousavi in the na?ve belief that he will bring about democratic reform. They ignore the fact, however, that Mousavi is a longstanding member of the regime who also has blood on his hands. The twentieth century is littered with examples, not least of all in Iran, of movements that have been subordinated to one or other ?progressive? faction of the capitalist class and betrayed. The whole history of Iran demonstrates the organic incapacity of any section of the bourgeoisie to establish basic democratic rights, let alone provide working people with an adequate standard of living.

The formal dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991 ushered in a series of ?color revolutions? that bore no relationship to any real popular movement for democratic rights. The ?Bulldozer Revolution? of 2000 that toppled the Serbian leader Slobodan Milosevic was the forerunner to the ?Rose Revolution? in Georgia in 2003 that brought Mikhail Saakashvili to power, the ?Orange Revolution? in the Ukraine in 2004 and the pink and yellow ?Tulip Revolution? in Kyrgyzstan in 2005.

The characteristics of all these ?revolutions? were similar. Dissident pro-Western sections of the ruling elites mounted a carefully-managed and well-financed campaign to topple their rivals that drew in frustrated sections of the middle classes and youth. Various non-government organisations, in some cases with direct connections to American think tanks and foundations, prepared the ground, establishing connections with student groups, trade unions, the local media and other groups and laying out the marketing plan. In every case, the opposition parties lost an election, which then became the pretext for a frenzied bid for power on the basis of unsubstantiated ballot rigging?all with the backing of the international media.

The outcome has been pro-US regimes in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union that are no more democratic than their predecessors. The guiding principle of these ?revolutions? has not been the needs and aspirations of working people, but the aims of US imperialism to extend its domination, particularly in the former Soviet republics in the energy-rich Caucuses and Central Asia. Reestablishing a dominant influence in Iran, which lies at the intersection of these regions with the Middle East, has been a longstanding American ambition.

The Obama administration?s objectives are no less predatory than those of its predecessors. In fact, a major factor in significant sections of the American political establishment throwing their weight behind Obama?s election campaign was that the Bush administration?s reckless and criminal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan generated broad anti-US sentiment around the globe, undermining Washington?s diplomatic and political leverage. Over the past three years, more color revolutions failed?for instance, in Azerbaijan and Belarus?than were successful. A new face was needed to mask reactionary aims.

Those who claim that the current ?Green Revolution? in Iran is any different are either deluding themselves or have ulterior motives.

"We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating new realities ... we're history's actors ... and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.?

Scott L

EOG Enthusiast

Scrimmage have you ever met a thread you didn't take a multi-colored shit on?

scrimmage

Scrimmage have you ever met a thread you didn't take a multi-colored shit on?
Here in plain black and white is something to be concerned about.
While the Mainstream Media keeps the populace distracted by events in Iran,and with other sideshow diversions,freedoms in the "Homeland" are slowly being eroded.
Who is willing to trade their liberty and constitutional rights for some specious promise of "security",which is what exactly?[business as usual]
There are many Americans who have the mindset to be perfect government fuctionaries for agencies like the FTC,and would carry out orders without questions.
Is the range of future opinion that's allowed to be expressed,going to be channeled into an increasingly narrow channel?

Feds To Get Power To Target
Websites Making "False Claims"

New FTC guidelines would allow government to scrutinize content of websites, ?patrol what bloggers say and do?

By Paul Joseph Watson
Prison Planet.com
Monday, June 22, 2009
Excerpts from:
http://www.prisonplanet.com/feds-to-get-power-to-target-websites-making-false-claims.html

The Federal Reserve refuses to disclose where trillions of dollars in bailout money went and yet the FTC is more concerned about snooping into the financial affairs of bloggers who make a few bucks off affiliate relationships, according to new guidelines set to be introduced later this year that would give the government a foot in the door to regulate and shut down blogs for making ?false claims?.
?New guidelines, expected to be approved late this summer with possible modifications, would clarify that the agency can go after bloggers ? as well as the companies that compensate them ? for any false claims or failure to disclose conflicts of interest,?states an Associated Press report.​

Furious that struggling families are supplementing their income by having housewives write blogs about cooking, or individuals posting political opinions and funding their operation by carrying affiliate links to Amazon books, the new FTC regulations would ensure that ?Any type of blog could be scrutinized, not just ones that specialize in reviews,? according to the report.​

The proviso that ?any type of blog could be scrutinized? frames this assault on free speech in a wider context that just individuals making claims about products advertised on their websites.​

The proposed guidelines (PDF) state that ?deceptive speech is not protected by the First Amendment,? and that ?The Supreme Court has repeatedly stated that the government can restrict, or even ban, such speech.? Of course, the issue of whether such speech is deceptive will be decided by the government itself.​

This is all about creating a chilling atmosphere and preventing people from creating their own websites by establishing a mountain of red tape and bureaucracy around the currently simple process of writing and maintaining a blog.

The ultimate endgame is to mimic the Chinese Internet system of total government regulation and censorship via the implementation of a registration process whereby every blogger will be assigned a number and given permission to blog by the government. If the blogger expresses an opinion deemed unsavory by the authorities then their registration credentials will be terminated and their ability to login to their own blog will be removed.

Scott L

EOG Enthusiast

Another attempt to hijack a thread = FAIL!

Well good, maybe people who post from 'Prison Planet' deserve to have their freedoms eroded. And maybe people who think the 'writer' / 9-11 fruitcake with three first names, "Paul Craig Roberts," is a credible source whose latest foment makes him sound like it was penned by the ayatollah also deserve less freedom.

Anyone who believes 9/11 was a government conspiracy or the rioting in Iran was kindled by US agents is nuttier than Margot Kidder hiding in the bushes!

In short scrimmage, America would rest easier if you and all your nutty ilk were rounded up and taken away in the middle of the night.