Atlanta Falcons Info Thread

dirty

EOG Master
Vick learns from last season

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/28/06 Flowery Branch ? This time every year, Falcons followers are told ? by quarterback Michael Vick ? about how he is more mature; that he's going to be better than the year before; that he's grown.
This year, Michael Vick pledges sincerity.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"><tbody><tr><td>
Curtis Compton / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Quarterback Michael Vick says he didn't play to his full potential during last season's finale.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Humbled by an 8-8 non-playoff season and more criticism than maybe he's ever had to contend with, the three-time Pro Bowl player said he did some soul searching.
He realized he hadn't been as diligent in previous offseasons as he needed to be, so he spent more time with receivers and in the film room this summer. In breaking down tape of the season-ending 44-11 loss to Carolina, Vick told USA Today this week that he didn't give full effort and let his teammates down.
That was a crushing realization ? a revelation, he said. A lot of things, especially a less than worthy effort, won't ever happen again, Vick said.
"I got Superman tattooed on my hand and that's the way I feel sometimes, but in reality that's not the way things are going to be," said Vick, who threw for 2,412 yards, 15 touchdowns and a career-high 13 interceptions in 2005. "I have to learn some things the hard way. It's good for me to experience some of the things I experienced even after last season. It only made me stronger."
Vick offered apologies to teammates and coaches for not doing more to help the Falcons win that season finale.
"I still feel like I could have given 100 percent effort ? even though I still felt like I did," Vick said. "I could have given 110 percent. I learned from that situation.
"My confidence is up this year. My preparation is going to be 10 times better. This year is going to be a legitimate year for me to put this team in the position to compete for that trophy. That's my only focus and only goal."
Said coach Jim Mora: "I appreciate his frankness. I didn't notice [Vick not playing hard against Carolina]. He's one of the most competitive guys I've been around. He competes. He hates to lose. He loves to always be at his best. If he said that, I can appreciate his honesty. A leader sometimes does this.
"He's not afraid to admit, 'I'm not perfect. I got faults and I'm not afraid to tell you when I'm wrong.' Good leaders do that. He just continues to mature as a leader and that is just another indication of it ? at least the way I read it."
Safety Lawyer Milloy, who joined the Falcons after 10 seasons in New England and Buffalo, said during workouts he was struck by how serious Vick seemed to exercise his flaws not for himself, but for the team.
"Mike doesn't seem to be caught up in individualism," Milloy said. "Mike could be the star of the league to me. Sitting and talking to him, it seems like it's not about him. I've seen him working just as hard as anybody."
All of these signs point in the right direction but the test comes Sept. 10, when the Falcons play at Carolina, the last team Vick faced.
Barring injury, Vick has said he'll be more effective because he'll be running again. A knee injury limited his mobility last season, he said.
New quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave is helping him fine-tune some things ? decision-making, the intricacies of the hybrid West Coast offense among them. Having a second full season working with Michael Jenkins at wide receiver and a full offseason and training camp with wideout Roddy White has been another plus, Vick said.
"I feel like I have to put in extra effort, be here a little more than everybody else, do all the things that are going to put Mike Vick in position ? not Mike Vick, excuse me for saying that ? this team in a position to be successful and win a Super Bowl and that's my only goal," he said.

dirty

EOG Master
Crumpler encouraged after drills

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 07/28/06 Flowery Branch ? Falcons tight end Alge Crumpler arrived at the team's season-opening practice Thursday unsure when, or if, he'll be able to return to being the Pro Bowl performer who is such a vital part of the team's offense.
The Falcons' leading receiver the past two seasons hadn't really tested his surgically repaired knee and shoulder ? especially the shoulder ? even though he had made it through most rehabilitative drills at Flowery Branch, then for six weeks in Arizona.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"><tbody><tr><td>
Curtis Compton / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption"> Alge Crumpler had surgeries on his knee and shoulder during the offseason.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> He completed nearly two hours of receiving, blocking and individual drills with no discomfort in searing heat at practice, leaving him more than encouraged that he's on track to start the season-opener at Carolina on Sept. 10.
"I was trying to put my body in position to get ready for this, but until you're out on the field you just don't know," Crumpler said. "This makes me know the things that I've done, conditioning-wise, mentally and physically, I'm feeling good."
Crumpler, who led Atlanta with a career-high 65 catches last season, said he's in constant communication with the Falcons medical staff and that he would follow their recommendations. However, he won't be pushed before he feels ready.
"I won't allow the powers that be to force me out there if I know mentally or physically I'm not where I need to be," Crumpler said.
Crumpler won't be put through both the twice-daily workouts during training camp and will be limited in contact and team-based drills, coach Jim Mora said. Whether he plays in any of the four exhibition games ? or whether he needs to ? has yet to be determined.
Quarterback Michael Vick said his relationship with Crumpler would not suffer if he did not play during the preseason.
"I can read his body language, certain maneuvers and know exactly where he's going to go," Vick said. "The thing for Alge is to get himself back to 100 percent, where he's feels good and knows he's ready to play and not to rush it. He's a veteran, a three-time Pro Bowler and he has time. His job is not in jeopardy and he's going to get the ball thrown his way so my advice to him is take it easy and don't do anything to make the injury re-occur."
Crumpler had his knee arthroscopically repaired two days after the Falcons' season finale, then had surgery on his right rotator cuff and labrum after playing in the Pro Bowl in February. He did not participate in most of the team's offseason workouts while recovering.
"I haven't had much of an offseason," Crumpler said.
Getting through one non-contact practice without any worry is a good start, Crumpler said, but there's a lot more to get through. With the team's oversight, Crumpler said he would tread through the process with extreme caution.
"It's important with Alge that, with his knee and with his shoulder, we find a happy medium," Mora said. "We have to make sure that Alge gets enough work that he's in rhythm and in sync with his offensive teammates. We have to monitor his work to get him to the season as close to 100 percent as we can. That's the trick."
Backup tight ends Eric Beverly, Dwayne Blakley and Daniel Fells, Klaus Alinen and Jason Randall will take most of the snaps during team drills.

dirty

EOG Master
Falcons new safeties ready to do their work
Milloy, Crocker plan to set new tone at position

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 07/26/06 Flowery Branch ? The Falcons new safeties, Lawyer Milloy and Chris Crocker, want to make this abundantly clear on this first day of training camp.
They are not the team's problem solvers.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> They just won't be the problem.
"Things are going to be different around here," Milloy said.
Milloy and Crocker take over starting jobs that were gutted following a non-playoff season of diminishing returns at safety. The lack of production at the position ? missed tackles, dropped interceptions ? crushed an already injury plagued defense that struggled as the Falcons lost six of their final eight games in 2005.
An upgrade at safety was deemed mandatory and Crocker and Milloy were targets 1 and 1A.
The Falcons sought toughness, experience and reliability.
What they didn't seek were saviors.
"We have those big-name players like Patrick Kerney, John Abraham, Keith Brooking, Rod Coleman, DeAngelo Hall in front of us so all me and Lawyer have to do is make tackles, bust people up when we're supposed to, pick the ball off when we're supposed to," Crocker said. "All we have to do is be in the places we're supposed to be in and make the plays we're supposed to and everything is going to take care of itself."
Milloy, a four-time Pro Bowler entering his 11th season, will be the intimidating, run stuffing strong safety Atlanta sorely lacked in the secondary last season. Though 32 years old, he's coming off a 106-tackle season in Buffalo with plenty to offer, especially in the much-needed area of toughness.
"If the [ball carrier] comes through with the rock, he has to get hit," Milloy said. "I don't care if it's the biggest lineman who picks up a fumble, I'll close my eyes and hit him. I don't care. It might hurt but that's my mentality. My mentality is everything doesn't have to be pretty, just get him down, even if you've got to leg whip 'em."
Crocker, 26, who spent his previous three seasons in Cleveland, will play the free safety role, setting the defense, guarding against the deep pass and cleaning up breakdowns that occur in front of him.
"I don't say much, but I will if I have to," said Crocker, who had 86 tackles, two interceptions and two sacks in his first full season as a starter in 2005. "I do my job. I go out there and play my butt off. That's how you earn your respect. Once you earn respect, guys will follow. Together, all me and Lawyer have to do is be sound."
Defensive coordinator Ed Donatell said that individually, Milloy and Crocker would fare well in his scheme. However, effective safety play is based on how well tandems perform. So when the Falcons were evaluating safeties to pursue last spring, the differing skills and personalities of Crocker and Milloy seemed a good fit.
Milloy was signed as a free agent in mid-March, the same time the Falcons sent a 2006 fourth-round draft pick to Cleveland for Crocker. Strangers, Milloy and Crocker were brought in together and have been in lockstep ever since.
"When you meet somebody and there's something you don't like about him, the conversation is like, 'Um, it's sunny outside today.' ... It's real awkward," Milloy said. "From Day One, me and Chris were talking about the same things on and off the field; football related, family related. It's rare. I'm thankful they got somebody, where in the three months that I've known him, we've been able to communicate about everything."
The pair wants to set its own standard, Milloy said, and not have its production compared to what transpired last season. Neither were here, neither have ever played for an NFC team and they don't want to disparage former starters Keion Carpenter and Bryan Scott.
"We don't need to get caught up into why they brought us here," Milloy said. "I don't care. I'm me. I play ball. My job is to win ball games. I'd be a fool to say I'm not aware of the situation that happened last season and that's part of the reason I'm here, but I don't care about that."
Milloy is a no-nonsense customer who has already delivered the message to fellow safeties that they will be a close unit without a weak link.
"The tighter we are as a group, the less they will be talking about us," Milloy said. "I have a lot of pride in the defense but most of all in our group and that's what I'm going to try to bring. I know what Chris is going to try to bring. Over this next year or two, I want him to be a leader so when I'm out of here, he's going to be the one that's grabbing that rookie, telling him that he's messing up and then hugging him later, telling him we can't do it without him."

dirty

EOG Master
Top pick Williams signs

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER
Published on: 07/28/06 Flowery Branch ? Jimmy Williams, the Falcons' top draft pick, signed his contract on Thursday, but he could not make it to town in time for most of the first training camp practice.
Williams strolled onto the field with 10 minutes left in practice. He started the day in Blacksburg, Va., before driving to his hometown of Hampton and then driving to Norfolk to meet Arthur Blank's jet.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> "Just was trying to get the best offer, the best deal on the table," said Williams, a cornerback. "I woke up thinking that today was the day."
Once at practice, Williams quickly huddled with Falcons president and general manager Rich McKay.
Williams, the 37th pick (second round) of the draft, is being counted on to play in some nickel packages and may eventually challenge starter Jason Webster at right cornerback.
"He missed that initial adrenaline rush that you get from your first practice," coach Jim Mora said. "He missed the initial introductory meetings where you cover a lot of policy and procedure, goals and objectives. He missed an opportunity to get 30 or 40 reps out of the field, but he'll catch up."
Williams attended all of the minicamps and organized training activities and has picked up the defense well. Missing one practice likely won't stunt his development.
"It's not like he's terribly behind," Mora said. "He knows what we are doing."
No holdouts
The past two seasons, the Falcons' first-round picks, DeAngelo Hall and Roddy White, held out for six days. They didn't have a first-rounder this year after the John Abraham trade.
McKay was elated to have all of the deals done before camp opened.
"I almost say the same thing every year, which is the system that was designed in the [collective bargaining agreement] in 1993 really promotes that rookies should be on time," McKay said. "In the first half of the first round nowadays, because the deals have gotten so complicated I certainly understand where there is sometimes a delay.
"Beyond that, if the team is diligent and gets after it and the agent does the same, then we should get them done. That's the way it should be, and I'm happy that we were able to get it done this morning."
The hit parade
The Falcons will put on the pads and do the first hitting of training camp in today's practice, slated for 6:15 p.m.
Crowded secondary
With safety Kevin Mathis recovering well from his knee injury, the Falcons played Omare Lowe at cornerback. He spent the entire offseason at safety.
"You are always looking for a swing guy who can play both positions and can be a contributor on special teams," Mora said.
Lavalais starts
Nose tackle Chad Lavalais went through drills with the first-team defense.
"We're going to create competition out there," Mora said. "By no means is the fact that he ran out there with the starters for the first play means that he's locked in as the starter. Antwan Lake and Darrell Shropshire will provide competition as well as the rookies."
Roster move
Georgia Tech long snapper Gavin Tarquino was procedurally waived and then placed on the Falcons' injured reserve list.
He had shoulder surgery that will require five to six months of rehabilitation.
Newest Falcon baby
Linebacker Keith Brooking is the proud father of a baby boy, Logan Palmer, who checked in at 8 pounds, 9 ounces and 21 1/2 inches on July 16.
"He's a future linebacker," Brooking said. "He came out running about a 4.8."
The fit club
Linebacker Ed Hartwell, who missed most of last season after suffering an Achilles injury on Oct. 10, has slimmed down to 242 pounds. He's listed at 250 pounds.
Quote of the day
"I've got Superman tattooed on my hand, and that's how I feel sometimes, but in reality that's not the way things are going to be. You just learn some things the hard way. It's good for me to experience some things after last season. I think it only made me stronger."
? Falcons quarterback Mike Vick, on bouncing back after an 8-8 season

dirty

EOG Master
Shockley signs 4-year deal
Ex-UGA QB among the rookies coming to terms as camp begins

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER
Published on: 07/27/06 With training camp opening Thursday, the Falcons confirmed deals with four of their five 2006 draft picks Wednesday and worked to have their top pick Jimmy Williams signed before the first practice.
The Falcons agreed to terms with their third-round pick, running back Jerious Norwood, and signed tackle Quinn Ojinnaka (fifth round), wide receiver Adam Jennings (sixth round) and quarterback D.J. Shockley (seventh round).
Curtis Compton / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Offseason defensive end acquisition John Abraham packed lightly for training camp at Flowery Branch.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Terms of Norwood's contract were not available. However, it likely is either a three- or four-year deal. Based on the contract signed by Carolina's Evan Mathis last season, who, like Norwood, was the 15th pick of the third round, Norwood likely will receive guaranteed bonuses worth roughly $365,000.
Ojinnaka, Jennings and Shockley signed four-year contracts with base salaries of $275,000, $360,000, $445,000 and $530,000.
The representative for Williams, a cornerback selected in the second round, said there was no progress in contract negotiations as of Wednesday evening. Agent Ethan Lock said he hoped Williams would be under contract by the opening practice at 2:30 p.m., but he was not certain.
Shockley, a former University of Georgia standout, received a $53,750 signing bonus, making his contract worth $1.663 million.
"It's done, and he's excited to start his NFL career," said Todd France, Shockley's agent.
"It kind of hit me when I was driving here that I was signing an NFL contract for the first time," Shockley said as he checked into the living quarters at Flowery Branch. "It's kind of like one of those dream-come-true moments. Everybody doesn't get to make it here, and I get to sign a contract with the Atlanta Falcons. It's a new thing for me. I'm ready to learn and see where it takes me. I'm trying to earn a spot on this team, and the best way to do it is to work hard."
Jennings' signing bonus was just under $94,000, and Ojinnaka got $180,500. Jennings' deal totals $1.70 million and Ojinnaka's $1.79 million.
Ojinnaka, of Syracuse, has a decent chance to make the final roster and provide depth at right tackle.
With Michael Jenkins, Roddy White and Brian Finneran entrenched as the top three receivers, Jennings, of Fresno State, will have to show well on special teams.
Shockley will compete for the No. 3 quarterback position against Bryan Randall.
Waiver wire
Long snapper Gavin Tarquinio, who signed as a free agent out of Georgia Tech, was waived.
Quote of the day
"He's excited," said Joe Linta, Ojinnaka's agent. "It's the right place for him. They like him. He could have a good career there."
Opening practice
The Falcons' first training camp practice is at 2:30 p.m. and is open to the public. There will be an autograph session after the workout.
? Staff writer Steve Wyche contributed to this report.

dirty

EOG Master
Falcons hotsheet: Five issues as camp opens

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 07/26/06 As the Falcons open training camp Thursday, here are five issues that need to be considered if the team is to avoid another 8-8 season.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"><tbody><tr><td><table bgcolor="#cccccc" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="170"><tbody><tr><td><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="168"><tbody><tr class="railscreen01"><td>Your Turn</td></tr></tbody></table><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="9" cellspacing="0" width="168"><tbody><tr><td> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="2">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script language="javascript"> function clickVote() { document.pollForm.buttonClicked.value = "yes"; document.pollForm.PageId.value = "poll_vote_submit"; document.pollForm.submit(); } function alert1(){ document.pollForm.buttonClicked.value = ""; } </script> <form method="post" action="/poll/poll/poll/take_poll/PollRefresh.jsp" name="pollForm"> <input name="PageId" value="poll_vote_submit" type="hidden"> <input name="pollID" value="10166" type="hidden"> <input name="page" value="take" type="hidden"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td width="100%"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] What's the biggest issue for the Falcons as training camp starts? [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> <td align="right" height="15" width="46">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" valign="top"> <input name="choice" value="36056" type="radio"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Michael Vick's development at quarterback. [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" valign="top"> <input name="choice" value="36070" type="radio"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Finding a new placekicker. [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" valign="top"> <input name="choice" value="36071" type="radio"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] The defense getting better. [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" valign="top"> <input name="choice" value="36072" type="radio"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Shoring up the offensive line. [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" valign="top"> <input name="choice" value="36073" type="radio"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Alge Crumpler's recovery from surgery. [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">
</td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="100%"> <input value="Vote" name="vote" type="submit">
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-2]Voter Limit: Once per Hour
View Poll Results [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </form> </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> 1. PIVOTAL THIRD YEAR FOR VICK
Michael Vick will be better this season ? or so the theory about quarterbacks developing in the West Coast offense goes.
It's Year Three in Greg Knapp's hybrid-version of the chain-moving offense, which is the time quarterbacks tend to show signs of progress, Knapp and head coach Jim Mora have said. It could take longer, but for Vick, the Falcons and particularly Knapp, things need to turn now.
Vick, nursing an injured knee, hit a plateau last season, and he's heard about it for months. The skepticism seems to have inspired Vick, who began throwing with his wide receivers shortly after playing in the Pro Bowl, weeks earlier than normal. His teammates said he has been diligent in the film and weight room this summer and is motivated to re-establish himself, not as a great player, but as a winner.
Mora brought in quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave to fine-tune Vick's handling of the offense but any improvement in Vick's game is going to have to come from Vick.
2. JUST WHO WILL BE THE PLACE-KICKER?
Of the handful of intriguing position battles, the most compelling ? and important ? is the place-kicking job.
With a brutal schedule where outcomes may be decided by single digits, the Falcons enter camp with two unknown kickers, Zac Derr and Tony Yelk, vying for a roster spot.
The importance of a kicker varies in some circles, but a made or missed field goal could be the difference in a playoff berth. Neither player has attempted a kick in an NFL game or faced hostile crowds in Carolina, Tampa or New Orleans.
The Falcons hired kicking guru Steve Hoffman, who has a history of developing kickers, to work with the upstarts. There is more to putting the ball through the uprights in practice, though. Poise is just as crucial as an accurate leg and going through a season with must-win expectations with a first-time kicker isn't the most comforting proposition.
Veteran Paul Edinger is on the team's short list if these youngsters falter and last season's kicker Todd Peterson, who made 23-of-25 field goals, also is available. The Falcons also could snatch a kicker who gets released.
3. OTHER POSITION BATTLES
? Defensive tackle: Chad Lavalais is listed as the starter but coaches and management have made it clear all offseason that they are not pleased with his conditioning or his play in the second half of last season. Second-year player Darrell Shropshire and three-year vet Antwan Lake are well aware of the opportunity to unseat Lavalais.
? Tailback: Pro Bowler Warrick Dunn will continue to carry the load but the coaches don't want the load to be as heavy as it's been the past two seasons, when he's registered back-to-back career highs in carries. Rookie speedster Jerious Norwood will challenge former first-rounder T.J. Duckett for the No. 2 job. Duckett is in a contract year and should be motivated to showcase himself.
? Right cornerback: Incumbent Jason Webster is a favorite of Mora and secondary coach Brett Maxie but he has yet to firmly establish himself. Safety-sized rookie Jimmy Williams was drafted to eventually take Webster's spot. How soon depends on Williams' ability to learn the system and make plays.
4. CRUMPLER COMING OFF TWO SURGERIES
Tight end Alge Crumpler enters training camp with a surgically repaired knee and shoulder. He'll be limited in the preseason but Crumpler, even if he is still sore or not fully healed, is too much of a gamer to voluntarily miss any time in the regular season.
Though Crumpler's absence afforded Vick and his wide receivers more time to develop chemistry in the offseason, don't expect the relationship between Vick and his Pro Bowl tight end to suffer. They have a bond that is too vital to the team's success.
Look for Atlanta to really push Dwayne Blakley in the preseason to see if he could assume some of the pass-catching load should Crumpler have to miss some playing time. Eric Beverly will still be used in running situations.
5. GANDY FILLS IN ON OFFENSIVE LINE
Much wasn't said when left tackle Kevin Shaffer left to Cleveland in free agency and replacement Wayne Gandy was acquired from New Orleans for safety Bryan Scott. That's because it's assumed Gandy still has some effective snaps in the tank.
This training camp is as important for Gandy as it is for anyone on the team. Gandy is the only new player on this offensive line and, as guard Matt Lehr can attest, there is a period of adjustment. Having played for New Orleans should help Gandy since he'll be going against familiar foes (Carolina, Tampa Bay) the first two games.

dirty

EOG Master
Falcons land for training
Top draft pick Williams makes late arrival to camp after signing
The Associated Press
<hr noshade="noshade" size="1" width="100%"> <!-- ########### BEGIN STORY AND PHOTO TABLE ############# --> <table valign="top" align="right" cellpadding="5" width="210"> <tbody><tr> <td> <!-- ########### BEGIN PHOTO COLUMN ############# -->
Scott Rogers The Times Atlanta Falcons wide receivers coach George Stewart, center, gives instruction to receivers Roddy White, right, and Cole Magner (15) during the team's opening day of training camp at Flowery Branch on Thursday afternoon.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

With only about 10 minutes left in the Falcons' first training camp session Thursday, top draft pick Jimmy Williams strolled onto the field, carrying a new team shoulder bag and a new contract.
Williams, a cornerback from Virginia Tech who was the Falcons' second-round draft pick, was the team's last draft pick to agree to a contract.
"I was ready to come in Wednesday," Williams said. "It was just that the business side of the deal wasn't complete."
Terms of the deal were not released.
"I'm just glad to be in the NFL," Williams said after his flight on a private plane from Virginia landed in Gainesville, a few minutes north of the Falcons' practice facility.
Williams is expected to join the team for today's two practices.
"I'm ready to enjoy this; I'm ready to get started," Williams said.
Coach Jim Mora said Willliams missed the team's first meeting, in which basic rules and expectations are explained to new players, as well as the reps he would have been given in the first practice.
"He'll catch up quickly," Mora said.
HUNKER DOWN: Quarterback D.J. Shockley, the team's seventh-round draft pick from the University of Georgia, may be the most-discussed fourth-string player in team history. But that's to be expected of a hometown hero who led the Bulldogs to the 2005 Southeastern Conference championship.
Shockley will compete with Virginia Tech's Bryan Randall for the No. 3 spot behind starter Michael Vick and top backup Matt Schaub. Randall is a second-year player.
"It's a thrilling moment," Shockley said when asked about signing his first NFL contract.
Shockley said he is "being a sponge, trying to learn all I can."
ANOTHER BULLDOG IN TOWN: Shockley isn't the only former Georgia star in camp. Defensive end Josh Mallard of Savannah is trying to make the team.
Mallard, who had 18 sacks as a pass-rush specialist at Georgia, is trying to improve his chances of sticking with the Falcons by also competing to be the team's deep snapper. He is listed as the backup to Derek Rackley.
Mallard was a seventh-round pick by Indianapolis in 2002. After playing in 12 games in 2002 with the Colts, followed by stints with Cleveland and Miami, he was re-signed by Indianapolis last year and assigned to the Amsterdam Admirals of NFL Europe.
Mallard had 12 tackles, two sacks and two blocked punts with Amsterdam.
CRUMPLER HAS LIMITED ROLE: Tight end Alge Crumpler, returning from offseason knee and shoulder surgeries, participated in only limited portions of Thursday's practice. He was held out of team drills.
"It's important with Alge, with his knee and with his shoulder, that we find a happy medium," Mora said, saying he wants to keep Crumpler sharp but doesn't want the three-time Pro Bowl pick to suffer another injury.
Crumpler and other established starters normally are limited to one practice on days the team has two sessions. The need to limit Crumpler's exposure to an injury risk is especially important.
"We just have to be really careful and really monitor him," Mora said. "We want him to get to the season healthy."
COMING UP: The Falcons will have two practices today, one at 8:15 a.m. and another at 6:30 p.m. There will be one practice on Saturday, setting a pattern with two-a-days every other day.
Camp opened with a long, hot practice lasting 2 hours and 30 minutes.
"I don't want to keep them out here any longer than we have to, but we have to get the job done," Mora said.
The first 30 minutes were devoted to the kicking game. Zac Derr and Tony Yelk remain the only place-kickers in camp after Todd Peterson was not re-signed.
Originally published Friday, July 28, 2006

dirty

EOG Master
Vick vows to give better effort in '06

The Associated Press
<hr noshade="noshade" size="1" width="100%"> <!-- ########### BEGIN STORY AND PHOTO TABLE ############# --> <table valign="top" align="right" cellpadding="5" width="210"> <tbody><tr> <td> <!-- ########### BEGIN PHOTO COLUMN ############# -->
Scott Rogers The Times Falcons head coach Jim Mora stretches along with the rest of the Atlanta Falcons on Thursday afternoon at the team's Flowery Branch complex.

Five years in the NFL have taught Michael Vick a painful lesson: He's not Superman, even if a tattoo on his hand says otherwise.
Even worse, when Vick looks at the last game from the Atlanta Falcons' disappointing 2005 season, he accuses himself of "not giving my all" a sharp self-criticism he says led him to apologize to teammates.
Vick told USA Today this week "I didn't go out and give it my all" in last season's final game, a 44-11 loss to Carolina that came one week after a close loss to Tampa Bay eliminated the Falcons from the playoffs.
"I just expect a lot out of myself," Vick said Thursday after the Falcons' first practice of training camp.
"I set high standards. I know what I can do. I know what I'm supposed to do. When things don't go well I always blame myself. I think I'm my own worst critic and I think that's a good thing."
Referring to his Superman tattoo, Vick said, "That's the way I feel sometimes, but in reality that's not the way things are going to be. I've learned some things the hard way, to experience some things I had to experience at the end of last season. I think it only made me stronger."
Vick said Thursday he gave 100 percent effort, but didn't play his best in the loss to Carolina, when he threw an interception and was sacked three times.
"That (Tampa Bay) game took so much out of me and reality set in that I wasn't going to the playoffs," Vick said. "As I look back on the game ... I saw some things I could have done better.
"That will never happen again. I apologized to my teammates, my coaches and myself and my family for doing that."
Falcons coach Jim Mora said he believes Vick "continues to mature as a leader" by making public the criticisms of his play.
"I think a leader sometimes does that," Mora said. "He's not afraid to admit 'You know what? I'm not perfect and I'm not afraid to tell you when I'm wrong.' I think leaders do that and kind of challenges himself to say this will never happen again and this is not what I'm about.
"To me, he just continues to mature as a leader and I think that was another sign of it, at least the way I read it, the way I interpreted his remarks."
Mora said there was no sign Vick lacked enthusiasm or intensity in last season's loss to Carolina.
"To me, Mike is the only person who would really know if that's in fact the case," Mora said. "I appreciate his frankness. I didn't notice it. I've said he's one of the most competitive guys I've been around. He competes. He hates to lose. He loves to win and he loves to compete and to always be at his best."
One year after playing in the NFC championship game, the Falcons were 8-8, thanks to a 2-6 record in the second half of the season.
Vick completed 55.3 percent of his passes and had a 73.1 rating in 2005 while throwing 15 touchdown passes with a career-high 13 interceptions.
In two seasons with Mora and offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, Vick has not matched the career highs he posted in his last full season under coach Dan Reeves in 2002: an 81.6 rating, 2,936 yards passing and 16 touchdown passes, while throwing only eight interceptions.
Most of the Falcons' offseason additions came on defense, including end John Abraham, safeties Lawyer Milloy and Chris Crocker, and top draft pick Jimmy Williams, a cornerback. The key additions on offense were left tackle Wayne Gandy and third-round draft pick Jerious Norwood, a speedy running back from Mississippi State.
Vick says the Falcons now have the experience and talent to make another run for the Super Bowl.
"We've been doing all the things necessary to put ourselves in position to be one of the elite offenses in this league," he said.
Vick added he is more comfortable because he has the same starting receivers, Michael Jenkins and Roddy White, returning for the first time in his six years.
"I think my confidence is up this year," Vick said. "I think my preparation is going to be 10 times better. I think this is going to be a legitimate year for me to put this team in position to compete for that trophy. That's my only focus, my only goal."
Originally published Friday, July 28, 2006

dirty

EOG Master
Falcons' Jenkins settles into role

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 07/29/06 Flowery Branch ? Falcons wide receiver Michael Jenkins doesn't mind not being front-page news at the start of training camp.
Last season, the unassuming 2004 first-round draft pick found himself in a mini-controversy after being named the starter on the opening day of training camp over veteran Peerless Price. The move fueled an offseason's worth of speculation that Price's days were numbered, which they were, but also questions of Jenkins' worthiness.
RICH ADDICKS / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption"> Receiver Michael Jenkins drew attention last season by being named the starter on the first day of camp over Peerless Price.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> His limited resume noted he was a monster on special teams as a rookie. Still, the coaching staff felt he was ready.
"Last year, things were still up in the air starting out," said Jenkins, who had 36 receptions for 508 yards and three touchdowns. "I'm much more comfortable this year. I got some game experience; it's my third year and I know what to expect."
Though there is no controversy now, Jenkins said he is feeling some heat.
"There's pressure to perform," Jenkins said. "There's also the pressure you put on yourself to be the best you can be. I'm trying to be a dominant receiver on this team and in the league."
Jenkins and fellow wideout Roddy White have expressed their hopes to get better, which is a far cry from last training camp, when the talk surrounding them was just to learn the system and build chemistry with the quarterbacks.
That chemistry development is in full swing, Jenkins said. Extra work this summer should translate into marked improvement in the perimeter passing game, especially between him and Michael Vick.
"There were times throughout minicamp where I might adjust something on a route and Mike might be thinking the same thing and throw it where I might be going," Jenkins said. "The added repetitions look like they might have helped out."

dirty

EOG Master
First day eventful for Falcons' top pick

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 07/29/06 Flowery Branch ? With nerves repeatedly rousing him from a decent night's sleep, already weary Falcons rookie cornerback Jimmy Williams practiced for the first time Friday, the team's second day of training camp.
Looking far more fluid and comfortable than he did in a summer minicamp when wide receiver Roddy White had his way with him, the Falcons' top draft choice this summer cited his opening-day progress to being in pads and being able to use his size and strength to his advantage.
Curtis Compton / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Jimmy Williams missed most of the first day of camp.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> "I'd rather get thrown right into it," said Williams, a second-round selection from Virginia Tech. "This helped me getting back into the groove, being a day late and all. Now we got the pads on, and I'm really happy about that. Now I can get my hands on guys."
Not all went well with Williams.
He did not have the burst in his step like most other players, which he blamed on fatigue from his previous day's travel from Virginia after he became the last Falcons rookie to reach contract terms. Tight end Dwayne Blakley leveled him when he eased up on a play before the whistle.
Even when he nabbed an interception after a tipped pass, Williams was immediately taken down a notch by coach Jim Mora after he began holding the ball away from his body and briefly high-stepping up field.
"Jimmy was pulling a little Deion there," Mora said. "You know what, he's not Deion yet. Maybe someday, maybe someday if he's doing that I'll be OK with that, but not on his first day of practice. Now DeAngelo Hall, I'm going to cut him a little more slack than Jimmy Williams."
Norwood gets sick, leaves field early
Rookie tailback Jerious Norwood was carted off the field toward the end of the morning practice after he got sick. Mora said Norwood vomited and was taken into the training room as a precaution.
Shortly before leaving, Norwood was unexpectedly decked by safety Chris Crocker after a run about 15 yards past the line of scrimmage. It is not known if the hit, which came when players were in helmets and shoulder pads only, caused Norwood's illness. Norwood returned for the evening practice.
Veterans opt out of morning sessions
As is customary when the Falcons practice twice daily, selected veterans were given most of the morning sessions off, doing little more than cardiovascular drills such as riding the stationary bike.
Tailback Warrick Dunn, tight end Alge Crumpler, tackle Wayne Gandy, linebacker Ed Hartwell and safety Kevin Mathis were excused from the early session. All five took part in the evening practice although Hartwell (Achilles tendon), Crumpler (shoulder) and Mathis (knee) were limited in some drills. Starting right tackle Todd Weiner and linebacker Jordan Beck were held out of the evening practice
Making switch on defense isn't easy
Gandy, the only new member of the line, will have to go through some growing pains ? a peculiar projection for a 12-year veteran ? while learning the Falcons' zone blocking scheme, said left guard Matt Lehr, who will line up next to Gandy.
Lehr, who drew his share of criticism in his first season with the Falcons last season, said adapting to Atlanta's rare style of protection isn't easy, especially after blocking man-on-man for most of one's career.
"Coming from a man scheme to a zone scheme, it's totally different," Lehr said. "It's a big change and it takes a while. It's a lot harder than what people think."
Being in the system for a year has Lehr much more comfortable, he said.
"I don't have to think about plays now," Lehr said. "I only have to worry about technique.
During minicamp in May, the coaching staff said backup Ben Claxton could challenge for Lehr's job but now, because of Lehr's experience, the feeling is that Lehr is secure.

dirty

EOG Master
Falcons intensify camp workouts
Mora likes physical action during Day 2 of training camp
The Associated Press
Scott Rogers The Times Linemen Austin King, right, and Tommy Jackson, left, square off Friday morning during the second day of training camp for the Atlanta Falcons in Flowery Branch.

Falcons camp
What: Day 3 of Atlanta Falcons training camp
When: Practice continues today through Aug. 22.
Where: Falcons training complex in Flowery Branch
Today's schedule: 2:30 to 4:30 p.m.
Cost: Free
Web site: The Official Web Site of the Atlanta Falcons

Atlanta Falcons safeties were often criticized for playing soft last season.
It hasn't taken long for new starting safeties Chris Crocker and Lawyer Milloy to show they intend to bring a new attitude to the secondary.
Even before the Falcons' first practice in full pads Friday night, Crocker showed Friday morning that he likes to hit.
Following one hit from Crocker, rookie running back Jerious Norwood was on the sideline, losing his breakfast. A few minutes later, Norwood sat slumped in a cart as he was given a ride to the locker room.
Coach Jim Mora just hoped day two was a promise of more hard hits to come from his safeties.
"I like their approach to the game," Mora said. "I like their mindset, their attitude, energy, intensity, passion and the nastiness that those guys bring."
Mora said Crocker looks like he is throwing a shoulder into a player's chin even during standup drills when players are not supposed to be tackled to the ground.
"If you just stand back behind the offense you just see the look of intensity on his face as he approaches and gets himself in position to make the tackle," said Mora of Crocker. "He's finishing the play in his mind, and I think those two guys are going to help because their intensity and their mindset is what you want out of that position."
Mora says he gives players like Crocker a little freedom as coaches look for intensity while trying to keep players healthy.
"We're not looking for cheap shots out here; we've got to keep each other healthy," Mora said. "Those guys don't have to prove their toughness to me. But I think it's important that people start to understand ... there's going to be some stuff going on in the middle, and don't come in here unless you want to get hit a little bit. And that's what you want."
Added Mora: "If you don't let them do it a little bit in practice, I think you stunt that feeling that grows among your defense."
FIRST DAY FOR WILLIAMS: After signing with the Falcons Thursday too late to join the first practice, rookie cornerback Jimmy Williams made his debut Friday morning.
Williams, from Virginia Tech, made a rookie mistake by showboating following an interception. Mora was not impressed by the way Williams held the ball -- as if mimicking Deion Sanders -- on the play.
"We preach ball security, whether it is the running back carrying the ball or the receiver catching the ball," Mora said. "It pertains to everybody. Jimmy was pulling a little Deion and he is not Deion yet. Maybe someday."
Like Norwood, Williams' introduction to contact included a jarring hit from a tight end.
"I think he learned a lesson about when to let up when he got knocked on his butt by a tight end on a cross route," Mora said. "I think that's good for him and I doubt we will see that again."
MATHIS ON THE MEND: Several players, including defensive back Kevin Mathis, were held out of the morning practice Friday.
Mathis, returning from a knee injury the second week of last season, is playing behind Crocker at free safety after spending most of his career at cornerback.
Mora said the return of Mathis "is huge, and that is not an understatement."
"I have so much respect for him as a player, as a person, and as a competitor," Mora said. "Looking back on last year, I think we missed the tenacity that he brings."
While Mathis is moving from cornerback to safety, Omare Lowe is at cornerback after spending the offseason at safety. Most of Lowe's playing time last season came on special teams.
Other starters held out of Friday morning's practice were offensive tackle Wayne Gandy, running back Warrick Dunn, tight end Alge Crumpler and linebacker Ed Hartwell, who is returning from an Achilles injury.

Originally published Saturday, July 29, 2006

dirty

EOG Master
Abraham gives Atlanta another big-name star
Three-time Pro Bowl defensive end perhaps gives Falcons most decorated line in history
The Associated Press
<hr noshade="noshade" size="1" width="100%"> <!-- ########### BEGIN STORY AND PHOTO TABLE ############# -->
There's no need to worry about John Abraham finding a comfort zone in Atlanta following six seasons with the New York Jets.
A smiling Abraham proclaimed after his first practice in pads with the Falcons Friday that he finally feels like he is home.
"This is how I'm used to life being," Abraham said. "When I went to New York, that was culture shock. Coming down here, this is how life is supposed to be lived."
Abraham, a former University of South Carolina star who was born in Timmonsville, S.C., is a part of perhaps the most decorated defensive line in Falcons history.
Abraham, the right defensive end, is a three-time Pro Bowl pick. Patrick Kerney, No. 3 on the team's all-time sacks list, was a 2005 Pro Bowl selection. Tackle Rod Coleman made his first Pro Bowl team last season after leading the league's interior linemen in sacks for the second straight year.
The only position without an established star is nosetackle, where third-year pro Chad Lavalais began training camp as the starter.
According to statistics compiled by the Falcons, Abraham (49), Kerney (48.5) and Coleman (44.5) each rank among the NFL's sack leaders for the last five seasons. Michael Strahan of the New York Giants and Tampa Bay's Simeon Race each have 67.5 sacks to share the lead in that span.
Abraham said he's never played on a better defensive line.
"On paper," he added.
"We haven't played," he said. "We haven't put up any numbers now. But just personnel-wise, cornerbacks, linebackers, the whole defense, I feel more comfortable with the experience we have."
For Kerney, the additions of Abraham and safeties Lawyer Milloy and Chris Crocker send a clear message that the Falcons, including owner Arthur Blank, are determined to bounce back from last year's 8-8 finish and repeat their 2004 run to the NFC championship game.
"Mr. Blank, without saying it, went out and acquired the people to say we want a world championship right now," Kerney said. "We're done building. We had needs and he went out and got the best players available for each of those needs."
Perhaps the biggest of the acquisitions was Abraham, who came to Atlanta from the Jets after agreeing to a six-year, $45 million deal that included $18 million in guaranteed money. The Falcons gave up their 2006 first-round draft pick in the trade.
"They had a tight defense already with Rod, with Patrick, with Keith Brooking and Ed Hartwell at linebacker," Abraham said. "We just came here to help. We're not trying to cure anything. We're just here to help the defense get to where it needs to be."
After signing the big contract, Abraham said he has been asked if he feels more pressure. He says the greater pressure was trying to qualify for free agency with the Jets only to be given a franchise tag.
Last year Abraham missed training camp with the Jets. He held out because he wanted a long-term deal before finally settling on a one-year, $6.67 million franchise tender.
"This is the most comfortable I've ever been," he said Friday. "I was in more pressure in New York. Think about going through five years with no contract and then being franchised and then getting out of being franchised and then seeing what team wants me. I'm here now. I'm where I want to be. There's no pressure now."
Abraham replaces Brady Smith, who was not re-signed after injuries limited him to five games last season. The instability at right end made Kerney an easy target of extra blockers, and his sacks total dropped from 13 in 2004 to 6.5.
With the addition of Abraham, the Falcons again boast big-play potential across the defensive front.
"That makes it that much easier when you have a Kerney and a Coleman and then you bring in a John Abraham," Crocker said. "Quarterbacks are going to be rushing to get the ball off this year because that's a lot of speed up there."
Added Crocker: "This team was in the NFC championship two years ago. All we have to do is stay healthy and we feel like we can get back."
Originally published Saturday, July 29, 2006

dirty

EOG Master
QBs will feel even more heat from the Falcons

<!-- end pagetitle --> <!-- begin bylinebox --> <!-- firstName = Len --> <!-- lastName = Pasquarelli -->
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
Archive
<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><!-- begin leftcol --> <!-- template inline -->FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Depending upon your station in life, chances are you never forget the first really big, defining moment of your career.

A pilot probably can describe for you his first takeoff and landing. A politician likely can deliver the opening line of his first speech. No doubt even the most veteran surgeon will remember closing up his first patient.

And an NFL defensive lineman can regale an audience by talking, often times incessantly, about his first career sack.

Jimmy Cribb/WireImage.com
DE John Abraham was brought in to help put even more pressure on QBs.

And so it was on Thursday, as the Atlanta Falcons prepared for their first training camp practice, that right end John Abraham, acquired from the New York Jets in a blockbuster trade this spring, reveled in recalling his late-game takedown of Drew Bledsoe in the second outing of his 2000 rookie season, to help preserve the Jets' 20-19 victory over the New England Patriots. And defensive "under" tackle Rod Coleman's eyes all but sparkled as he spoke of his first sack, against Tim Couch in 2000, his second season in the league.

Good thing that, when it comes to strolling down Sack Lane, the Falcons' two standout linemen can walk such a straight and steady path. Because in 2006, they and left end Patrick Kerney, who arguably comprise the league's best three-man band of quarterback tormentors, might well challenge the capacity of their own personal memory banks in terms of cataloguing sacks.

"I get scared just thinking about it," said Abraham, a classic weakside rusher with great upfield explosion, and a guy who represents a very sizeable piece of the Atlanta pass-rush puzzle. "I mean, Pat might go and get a sack. And then Rod will get one. And then, the next thing you know, the pressure's on me to get one, too. This could be a really scary situation."

<table id="inlinetable" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="200"> <tbody><tr><th colspan="1" style="background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"><center>Fantasy take</center></th> </tr><tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td width="184">
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]
[/FONT]

T.J. Duckett has been a reliable touchdown option in the past, and an occasional fantasy flex option, but will he be a Falcon in a month? It will be interesting to see how Duckett looks this camp, and in the preseason, because his fantasy value would be greatly affected. Don't laugh; Duckett has averaged nine touchdowns the last three seasons. He'll matter somewhere.
-- Eric Karabell

? Play ESPN fantasy football!
? Check out ESPN's draft kit </td> </tr> </tbody></table>Yeah, but it ought to be opposing quarterbacks doing the most fretting about what could be the league's most dominating pass rush. While the Falcons' linemen might have superb recall of all their sack moments, quarterbacks might pray for selective amnesia when they're exiting the field after facing the kind of heat the Atlanta front figures to bring this season.
Since 1990, there have been only six NFL defenses that had three players who each registered double-digit sacks. And only three of those teams -- the San Francisco 49ers in 1996 and 1997 and the New Orleans Saints of 2000 -- had three lineman who posted 10 or more sacks. It will be surprising if Abraham, Kerney and Coleman don't join that elite group in 2006.

"There's no doubt that every one of those guys can get 10 [sacks] or more," said former Falcons end Chuck Smith, the second-leading sacker in franchise history, now a radio analyst, and still a keen observer of the art of the quarterback kill. "First off, they've each got a signature pass-rush move, and that's really rare in the league anymore. The NFL is full of a bunch of young guys now and all they know about sacking the quarterback comes off the zone blitz. They've never developed a trademark technique. These three guys -- whether it's Rod with the 'double-slap' move or Pat with the 'slap-rip-hump,' they've all got a maneuver that they've made their own. They're old-school. They all know how to get to the quarterback."

And they get there often.

Among the three of them, the Falcons' linemen have 157? career sacks, and each has posted at least three seasons of 10 or more sacks. Atlanta owner Arthur Blank, a marketing maven who has revived a once-moribund franchise, better get his public relations people busy on a nickname for the pass rush group, because the chances are pretty good the Falcons' front line will merit one by season's end.

There is some irony to the fact that a defense that performed so miserably against the run in 2005, when the Falcons statistically ranked 26th in the NFL versus the ground game and surrendered an average of 128.9 yards per outing, would work so hard to improve its pass rush. Truth be told, stopping the run remains the most pressing imperative for the Atlanta defense this season and even the guys who make their living by knocking the quarterback flat understand that.

Well, sort of, it seems.

"They don't pay ends for playing the run great," said Abraham, who signed a six-year, $45 million contract as part of the trade that brought him here. "But you can't ignore it."

General manager Rich McKay and coach Jim Mora are concerned about the defense's inability to get off the field last season. Atlanta surrendered 319 first downs in 2005, the seventh most in the league, and the defense was on the field for an average of 30 minutes, 2 seconds last season. Although Brady Smith was never viewed as much more than a decent player, his early-season foot injury forced the coaches to jerry-rig the right end spot, and the trickle-down effect was enormous.

And so while McKay and Mora sought in the offseason to rectify the run-game woes -- adding safeties Chris Crocker and Lawyer Milloy should dramatically upgrade a position from which Atlanta didn't get even routine plays a year ago and the return to health of middle linebacker Ed Hartwell should help -- they also focused on acquiring a big-time right end. And there wasn't anyone on the market more big-time than Abraham, a multiple Pro Bowl performer whose relationship with the Jets had grown fractious.

"People just drove the ball on us last year," said McKay, who orchestrated the creative three-way deal that cost the Falcons their first-round pick in this year's draft, but brought Abraham in return. "We just couldn't knock offenses off the field on third down. We were scrambling at right end, playing a rookie tackle out there [Jonathan Babineaux] and it affected our pass rush. And so we started taking risks to try to get to the quarterback and I've been around long enough to know that's a bad recipe. You can't win when you're forced to gamble so many resources on getting to the quarterback. And so we said, 'What can we do to get back to being able to get a pass rush with just our front four?' And getting [Abraham] was the answer."

A six-year veteran, Abraham is a prototype upfield rusher. But his classic style represents just one element of what is a nice mix for the Falcons' front four. Kerney, although often overlooked outside of Atlanta, is one of the NFL's best left ends, a tenacious rusher with better quickness than he's credited as having. And Coleman, a superb one-gap player who just has an innate feel for slipping blocks and creating havoc with lightning-quick penetration, is the rare interior player who can compress the pocket from the inside.

"Even I don't know how I do it sometimes," allowed Coleman, who has led NFL interior linemen in sacks in three of the past four seasons. "I mean, sometimes it's spacing, the room you have to operate, being able to just beat the guard across from you. But I know this: Whatever it is, it got a little bit easier when they brought [Abraham] in here. Getting him, to go along with [Kerney], now that's exciting."
<!-- PULL-QUOTE (BEGIN) -->
"These three guys -- whether it's Rod with the 'double-slap' move or Pat with the 'slap-rip-hump,' they've all got a maneuver that they've made their own. They're old-school. They all know how to get to the quarterback." Former Falcons DE Chuck Smith

<!-- PULL-QUOTE (END) -->Sackers, of course, are excitable guys by nature. Like a thunderous dunk in basketball, the sack is an emotional Kodak moment that can result in an entire roll-full of pretty pictures. It gets the crowd into a game, helps get the defense off the field, and relegates an opponent's offense to at least temporary failure.

"Because of the momentum it creates, it's a game-changing play," Coleman said. "You get a sack and, while you're standing on your sideline being congratulated, you look across the field and the quarterback is arguing with his offensive linemen, or the coach is screaming at the quarterback for not getting rid of the ball. It kind of uplifts one team and [deflates] another."

And as Abraham suggested, when referring to the potential intramural competition between the Falcons' pass rushers, guys who rush the quarterback feed off each other. One defender records a sack and everyone wants in on the act. It's like tossing chum in the water near a swarm of hungry sharks.

What the Atlanta triad pass rushers must divine now, through camp and the preseason, is how to approach their prey. A pass rush is a more synergistic thing than most people realize, and a lot of elements come into play. The spring mini-camps, without pads, might allow players to hone their pass-rush moves, but they don't allow for the kind of melding process necessary to get everyone in synch. Abraham doesn't know yet, for instance, how Coleman will move, or set up a move, on a "T-E" call. Coleman doesn't have a feel for how Abraham will react if the guard slides out to double-team him.

But all of that, they acknowledged, will come. And so will the sacks.

"Nothing against the guys with whom I played in New York," Abraham said, "but I never really had a pass rusher inside of me like Rod. And I'm sure he's never had two ends like me and Kerney on either side of him. It's going to be fun, believe me, a lot of fun. We're going to create a lot of [disruption]."

And, probably, a lot more memories, too.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here .

dirty

EOG Master
Speed should help Falcons' defense

<!-- end pagetitle --> <!-- begin bylinebox -->
<!-- firstName = Len --> <!-- lastName = Pasquarelli -->
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
Archive
<!-- begin presby2 --><!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><!-- begin leftcol --> <!-- template inline -->FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Here are five observations on the Atlanta Falcons gleaned from Thursday's training camp practice:

It's always difficult to make judgments when a team goes through a practice that isn't a fully padded workout, as was the case with the Falcons in their initial on-field session of camp Thursday afternoon. But you could put the Atlanta defense in a padded cell, and outfit the entire bunch in straitjackets, and it still would be pretty obvious the unit is quicker overall than it was a year ago. The addition of right end John Abraham, which gives the Falcons three Pro Bowl-caliber performers in the front four, is going to make a big difference. Opposing offensive coordinators have to respect not only Abraham's upfield pass-rush skills but also his quickness in general. The new starting safety tandem of Lawyer Milloy and Chris Crocker probably won't establish any land speed marks, but both appear fast because they seem to take judicious angles to the football. And coming off a 2005 season in which the Atlanta safeties tackled with all the proficiency of Venus de Milo, just being able to make the routine plays is an upgrade. And although weakside starter Keith Brooking is entering his eighth season and is 30 years old, and Ed Hartwell in the middle is coming off an Achilles injury that kept him out of 11 games last season, the linebackers play plenty fast enough.
In fact, linebacker might be the team's deepest position. So deep that the guy who is arguably the best athlete at the position, third-year veteran Demorrio Williams, will struggle to get onto the field. The emerging player to watch is second-year strongside backer Michael Boley. He's a very nice meld of size and speed, and he plays with leverage and a natural ability to shed blockers. Boley notched 60 tackles in 11 starts as a rookie, and he really is an impressive player to watch, even in unpadded practices.
Funny thing, but after preaching speed for the first two years of his tenure here, Jim Mora acknowledged this spring that it might not be a bad idea to add a wide-body to the front four. The team flirted with a few veteran free agents, most notably Grady Jackson, but didn't sign him or any of the other interior defenders it considered. And it might not make much of a difference. Size is a great commodity, but nothing beats quickness, and the Falcons seem to possess the latter in spades. Of course, using that speed to get to the ball will be a key, especially versus the run. Atlanta statistically ranked No. 26 against the run in 2006, and a repeat of that performance would be disastrous. All the pass rushers in the world won't help much if opponents consistently are facing third-and-short situations. Since the Falcons didn't get any bigger, they're going to have to play faster to stanch the run in 2006, and the early results seem encouraging.

Dale Zanine/US Presswire
Michael Vick and the Falcons finished 8-8 last season and missed the playoffs.

Last summer, we watched the initial practice of training camp here, blanched at the shoddy, inconsistent footwork mechanics of quarterback Michael Vick, noted as much in print, and basically were pilloried by the masses. Most of whom, of course, weren't at that practice or any other camp workout all summer. OK, so we're back again with the footwork fetish this year and happy to report, MV-7 fans, that you can save the hate mail this time around. We're not ready to predict that Vick is suddenly going to blossom into a 60 percent completion rate passer. Hey, the sun was brutal here Thursday, but it didn't microwave that many brain cells. Vick owns a career completion rate of 54.1 percent. In the three seasons in which he started 15 games, his percentage is a little better, at 55.4. We have a standing bet with a longtime NFL media buddy that Vick will never complete 60 percent of his attempts in a season and if he's ready to raise the ante, so are we. But here's the thing with Vick: He stands a far better chance of improving his accuracy in 2006 if he continues to demonstrate the textbook mechanics he displayed in the first camp practice.
As incongruous as it sounds, you throw from the feet up, and Vick's footwork in the past has been so sloppy that it has precluded him from having a real chance at upgrading his marksmanship. But on Thursday, on most occasions, he was a drop, plant, square-the-shoulders, rotate-into-the-throw passer. There were few of the mechanical lapses that have marked his motion in the past, and Vick lauded the offseason work put in by new quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave, who has spent a ton of hours with the star. Musgrave owns the reputation of being a stickler, a guy who will hound his pupils when they make mistakes. But Vick, who many felt might chafe under his stewardship, has taken well to the approach. In the past, on the rare occasions when Vick actually had his mechanics and timing in synch, he was a lot more accurate and the ball didn't sail as much on him. That was also the case Thursday, and Vick needs to continue to focus on delivering the ball with sound techniques.
Certainly, no one has ever questioned his arm strength. It's too early to tell what tweaks the Falcons have made to the offense -- Vick insisted after practice that there wasn't anything new in the playbook -- but it seemed Atlanta wants to get the quarterback on the move more in 2006, with half-rolls and even more bootleg and waggle action than in the past. That certainly plays to Vick's strength. But if he continues to look as comfortable as he did Thursday, there may yet be hope for Vick to develop into a markedly better passer from the pocket.
There always has been an athletic arrogance (a Mora term, although we've been told he "borrowed" it from his former San Francisco 49ers boss, George Seifert) to Vick, an aura that suggests he doesn't take well to being overcoached and prefers to let his athletic skills take over in tough situations. But in word and in deed, Vick seems to be maturing some in his sixth season. Noted the Falcons star after practice: "I got Superman tattooed on my hand and that's the way I feel sometimes. But in reality, that's not the way things are going to be. I have to learn some things the hard way. It's good for me to have experienced so many of the things I experienced last season. It only made me stronger."
Atlanta ranked No. 1 in the league in rushing offense each of the past two seasons, so it's the passing game that most comes under scrutiny, and deservedly so. But the aerial deficiencies of the past don't just begin and end with Vick and his erratic performances. A quarterback has to have receivers bail him out every so often, and other than the efforts of Pro Bowl tight end Alge Crumpler, that hasn't happened very much. <!--------------------------START PLAYER CARD------------------>
<table class="tableheadFixWidth" align="right" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="200"> <tbody><tr class="stathead"> <td colspan="2" class="whitelink"> Roddy White</td> </tr> <tr class="evenrow" align="right"> <td align="left"> Wide Receiver
Atlanta Falcons

Profile</td> </tr><tr class="evenrow"> <td align="center"> <table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="190"> <tbody><tr class="stathead" align="center"><td colspan="6" align="center">2005 SEASON STATISTICS</td></tr> <tr style="background: rgb(188, 188, 180) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" align="right"> <td width="17%">Rec</td> <td width="17%">Yds</td> <td width="17%">TD</td> <td width="17%">Avg</td> <td width="17%">Long</td> <td width="17%">YAC</td> </tr> <tr align="right" bgcolor="#999999"> <td>29</td> <td>446</td> <td>3</td> <td>15.4</td> <td>54</td> <td>72</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td></tr> </tbody></table> <!---------------------INLINE MINI-PLAYER CARD ENDS HERE--------------------> The Falcons used first-round selections on wideouts Michael Jenkins (2004) and Roddy White (2005) and have spent much of the offseason taking about the progress the two youngsters made this spring. Well, it's time for the wide receiver tandem to walk the walk. Based on Thursday's practice, it appeared White is more prepared to step up his game. Both wideouts flashed some inconsistencies in the practice, but White definitely went after the football with more aggressiveness. A legitimate long-ball threat, White still needs to sharpen his routes and not drop as many easy balls, but he clearly exudes big-play potential. Jenkins simply doesn't fight hard enough for a ball that's contended for in the air. He seems to have good enough body control, and his lean and angular frame should allow him to get over the top of cornerbacks, but the former Ohio State star just doesn't have a polished look about him yet.
Polished or not, though, it's time for the two young receivers to shine. Crumpler is a stud, and it's no secret he's the receiver Vick has developed a comfort level with. In fact, there are times Vick has tunnel vision for his go-to tight end. The sentiments of Falcons officials is that with Crumpler on the shelf much of the offseason because of knee and shoulder surgeries, Vick had more time to work with the wide receivers and less time to rely on the tight end. Time will tell whether that pays dividends. It was surprising to see Crumpler do as much as he did Thursday, although the practice was a noncontact affair. There was one telling moment, though, that signaled Crumpler still has some work to do in rehabilitating his shoulder. He burst down the middle, Vick led him by about a yard and, rather than extend for the ball, Crumpler short-armed it. A prudent move, for sure, since he doesn't need to be laying out for passes on the first day of camp.
The Falcons' offensive line came under considerable fire last year, particularly for its pass protection (or lack thereof at times), and one noncontact session is hardly sufficient observation time to make a call on the maligned group. A big question will be how well 13th-year veteran left tackle Wayne Gandy, acquired from New Orleans in a trade, adapts to the zone-blocking scheme the Falcons use. Gandy is a bigger blocker than the Atlanta staff typically prefers, and change isn't always easy at 35. Gandy is a quality player, and maybe an even better person, and the Falcons need to get a good year or two out of him while they continue to groom Frank Omiyale, a promising youngster who didn't play a snap as a rookie in 2005. The blocking scheme here demands physical flexibility and quickness, with cut blocking on the back side of running plays, and it will be interesting to see how well Gandy fares in the system. There were a few occasions Thursday when he got beat inside, but again, with no pads on, making a viable assessment is not only difficult but also unfair.
The team could really use right guard Kynan Forney, maybe the unit's one player with Pro Bowl potential, to get back to his pre-2005 form. Forney is a solid in-line blocker and a little better pass protector than people think, but he definitely slipped some last season.
Of course, what the Falcons really need, at least in the passing game, is for Vick to demonstrate better timing. Pass protection is a synergistic enterprise, and part of the reason the Falcons surrender as many sacks as they do is that Vick is always trying to make a play and holds the ball too long. When the quarterback starts scrambling around, and Vick begins doing that moonwalk move of his, it's only natural that protection breaks down. Vick has been sacked once every 10.4 drop-backs in his career. That's far too high a number for a guy who is so elusive outside the pocket.
As for run blocking, there's no reason to suspect the Falcons will slip in that area. Atlanta relies on its backs making one cut and going, and Warrick Dunn, even at 31, is marvelous in the one-cut system. Rookie Jerious Norwood, a third-round pick, had some nifty runs Thursday and could provide a speed dimension the Falcons haven't had of late. Former first-rounder T.J. Duckett looks trimmer and, heading into his contract year, might be more motivated. But the reality is that Duckett, who was dangled in trade talks in the offseason, is more a downhill runner and just might not be a good fit for this system.

Kicking coach Steve Hoffman, who in 14 seasons with the Dallas Cowboys always seemed able to unearth some placement specialist off the street who would come in and perform well for the minimum salary, might finally have run out of magic. There was nothing inspiring Thursday about Zac Derr or Tony Yelk, the two young kickers in camp, neither of whom has attempted a field goal in an NFL game. The Falcons want to get younger at the position, to develop a kicker who will be around Atlanta for the next several years, so they opted not to re-sign 12-year veteran Todd Peterson. The wisdom of such a move is dubious, to say the least. Some people here privately talk about how Peterson's average conversion in 2005 was just 31.0 yards and he couldn't handle the kickoff chores. True enough. But the guy converted 23 of 25 field goals, and his 92.0 success rate was the fourth-best in the NFL. In a league where nearly 25 percent of the games are decided by three or fewer points, you want someone who can hit the makeable kicks, and that person probably isn't in camp here right now.
There are some office politics involved with the decision not to retain Peterson, and it's almost as if some members of the organization hold him responsible for extending the franchise's dubious streak of never having posted consecutive winning seasons because he had an overtime field goal attempt blocked at Tampa Bay in the penultimate game of 2005. Those people might be a tad shortsighted. The guess here is that Atlanta will watch Yelk and Derr kick for a few weeks in camp, then go sign a veteran free agent, someone like Paul Edinger.
Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here .
Don't miss a minute of the action. Sign up now for a 30 day free trial of Insider.

dirty

EOG Master
FALCONS REPORT
Lightning forces Falcons inside

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 07/30/06 Flowery Branch ? With the largest crowd of training camp in attendance, Falcons practice was halted less than 30 minutes into drills Saturday because of lightning. Practice was eventually moved to the team's indoor training facility.
There is not enough room in the indoor compound to accommodate fans.
Curtis Compton / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption"> Four-year-old Tyrel Hall does some push-ups in front of dad DeAngelo Hall as the two hit the practice field. Tyrel went back to the sideline after his workout.
</td></tr><tr><td>
Curtis Compton / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Cornerback DeAngelo Hall displays some of the flashy shoes from his new Reebok line for this season.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> "We were checking out the Doppler [radar] before practice, so we knew a storm was coming," coach Jim Mora said.
Clouds moved in quickly at the onset of practice, and after a handful of lightning flare-ups, players were ordered into the locker room by Mora. After a brief gathering, the team walked to the indoor facility and resumed the two-hour practice in full pads.
"The unfortunate thing is that we had a lot of fans out there," Mora said. "I'd loved to bring them all in here, but it wouldn't be safe. Hopefully, those people will come out again."
The Falcons practice twice today.
Hall trots out new shoes
After a fallout and eventual split with Reebok last season, cornerback DeAngelo Hall signed a one-year deal with the apparel company this summer. Reebok has provided him with five different styles of shoes and will be putting his name-brand cleat on sale in the near future, he said.
"It wasn't about the money and it wasn't about the shoe ? I feel I can perform in any shoe ? but I wanted more exposure," Hall, a Pro Bowl starter last season, said regarding his initial split with Reebok. "Reebok stepped up. During the Pro Bowl, I practiced in one Nike shoe and one Reebok shoe and had everybody fighting over me."
Hall said he spent a decent chunk of the summer shooting promotional ads and commercials for his new line, some with fellow NFL players Steve Smith, Donovan McNabb, teammate Alge Crumpler, Peyton Manning and Vince Young.
During the first four training camp practices, Hall has broken out a different version of his shoe, each with its own red, black and white color schemes. Some have metallic-colored bottoms.
"I'm a flashy player, and I've got color schemes to match every jersey," Hall said. "I'm down to take fines, whatever. I'm going to look sweet. That's one thing "Prime Time" [Deion Sanders] taught me. You look good, you play good."
Webster injures left foot
Starting right cornerback Jason Webster injured his left foot and will have it X-rayed as a precaution, Mora said.
"Coming inside on a different surface, I just didn't feel comfortable with having him practice," Mora said.
Webster was pulled out of practice early on, allowing rookie Jimmy Williams to work with the first-team defense.
Vick tries shield again
Quarterback Michael Vick has been wearing a clear protective eye shield across his face mask during training camp, which he said is to protect from the repeated blows he's been taking through his face mask.
"It's something new I'm trying," Vick said Saturday.
"I wanted to try it in training camp to make sure it doesn't affect me. I tried it one time at Kansas City and we got blown out, and I trashed it because I felt that was the reason. I'm trying it now and it doesn't feel any different than having it off. I like it. It will protect me a little bit more."

dirty

EOG Master
Finneran may be lost for season
Receiver injures a knee

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 07/31/06 Flowery Branch ? Falcons wide receiver Brian Finneran could be lost for the season after suffering a "serious" knee injury during practice Sunday night.
Finneran will undergo an MRI exam Monday morning, but the initial prognosis is not promising, according to coach Jim Mora, who did not reveal the exact nature of the injury.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> "Sometimes you plant and your knee gives," Mora said. "It looks like it's serious. I'm hoping for the best because he's obviously a critical part of this football team. We'll hope for the best but I'm not overly optimistic."
A best-case scenario, Mora said, is that the MRI exam shows a bad sprain that would sideline Finneran, the Falcons' top pass-catching wide receiver last season, for five or six weeks. However Mora even tempered that remark, seemingly bracing himself bad news.
Finneran, the team's reliable No. 3 receiver who led the wide receivers with 50 receptions for 611 yards last season, injured his knee in a non-contact passing drill, his knee giving way as he tried to make a cut.
"He was trying to come out of a break and I saw him fall and I looked down and I saw him grabbing his knee, hollering," said defensive back Jimmy Williams, who was covering Finneran on the play. "I didn't know if I caused it or if it happened on his own. It was one of those things that happened. I felt bad. My whole rest of the practice was shaky. I'm sorry for him."
Mora said Williams was not at fault and that Finneran's injury was not unique to knee injuries that players suffer when they try to make a cut.
Finneran, 30, immediately went to the ground and was writhing in pain. Players and coaches hurried to his side and Finneran was taken off the field on a cart. A once-spirited practice turned silent, even the crowd of more than a thousand hushed.
Once drills resumed, Mora met with head trainer Ron Medlin then raced to the training room to check on Finneran. Mora re-joined the team moments later but he clearly was concerned about the potential loss of the captain of the receiving corps.
"Me, Mike [Jenkins] and the third receiver, whoever that's going to be, are going to have to step up," starting wide receiver Roddy White said. "I'm hoping he's OK because Finn's like a leader to us. He comes out here and he demonstrates and we follow behind him. If he's lost, it's a big loss to us."
Finneran, a seven-year veteran who made the roster as an undrafted free agent in 2000, re-signed for four years with the Falcons this summer.
Mora said the personnel department is already exploring free-agent options, but salary-cap issues could limit the choices. In the short term, Jerome Pathon, who had one reception after joining the Falcons during the season in 2005 but had at least 24 in six of seven NFL seasons, will be used as the third wide out.
"In a situation like this, knowing how Finn is, he'd want somebody in the receiving corps to step it up," Pathon said. "Somebody has to step it up, if not all of us."
Rookie Adam Jennings will also get a shot at the No. 3 role, Mora said. Free agent hopefuls Kevin Youngblood, Cole Magner, Troy Bergeron and Cedric Bonner also will get some consideration, with their special teams' production in the preseason a major factor.

dirty

EOG Master
Finneran out for the season
Falcons receiver has torn ACL and dislocated kneecap

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 08/01/06 Flowery Branch ? Falcons wide receiver Brian Finneran has been lost for the season after an MRI exam Monday revealed that he tore his anterior cruciate ligament, dislocated his kneecap and damaged cartilage in his right knee in a non-contact drill Sunday evening. Finneran will have surgery Wednesday or Thursday, coach Jim Mora said.
The Falcons placed him on injured reserve Monday afternoon.
CURTIS COMPTON / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Jerome Pathon is likely to get more work because of Brian Finneran's season-ending knee injury.
</td></tr><tr><td><table bgcolor="#cccccc" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="170"><tbody><tr><td><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="168"><tbody><tr class="railscreen01"><td>Your Turn</td></tr></tbody></table><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="9" cellspacing="0" width="168"><tbody><tr><td> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="2">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script language="javascript"> function clickVote() { document.pollForm.buttonClicked.value = "yes"; document.pollForm.PageId.value = "poll_vote_submit"; document.pollForm.submit(); } function alert1(){ document.pollForm.buttonClicked.value = ""; } </script> <form method="post" action="/poll/poll/poll/take_poll/PollRefresh.jsp" name="pollForm"> <input name="PageId" value="poll_vote_submit" type="hidden"> <input name="pollID" value="10212" type="hidden"> <input name="page" value="take" type="hidden"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td width="100%"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] What should the Falcons do with Brian Finneran out for the season? [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> <td align="right" height="15" width="46">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" valign="top"> <input name="choice" value="36261" type="radio"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Don't waste any time. Get a good free agent, like Ricky Proehl. [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" valign="top"> <input name="choice" value="36262" type="radio"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Be patient. There are some receivers off the bench who can take up the slack. [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">
</td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="100%"> <input value="Vote" name="vote" type="submit">
View Poll Results [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </form> </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> "That's unfortunate for Brian," Mora said. "He's got a long road ahead. I'm sure he'll approach it like he approaches everything, which is full steam ahead, to get ready for next year. I'm going to count on Brian to still be an influence in the locker room and do what he can do to contribute to our success on the field."
Finneran ? Atlanta's No. 3 wideout, who led the wide receivers with 50 receptions in 2005 ? suffered the injury in a one-on-one, receiving drill and had to be carted off the field.
Quarterback Michael Vick tabbed Finneran's loss as a big blow, especially since Finneran has been one of his favorite targets and the two have established a special rapport over five seasons.
"He's a guy that I'm very comfortable with," Vick said. "I've been thinking about all the great plays we made together, the small things he does to keep drives alive and keep this offense moving forward. We're going to miss him. He's going to be hard to replace. You just don't find good receivers, natural receivers, possession receivers, like Finn."
Falcons management is trying to, though.
Since the injury, the team's personnel department has been investigating free-agent wide receivers with former Carolina Panthers veteran Ricky Proehl a possibility. Mora said if the team does sign a player, he hopes it happens soon so he would have time to assimilate into the offense and actually have a role once the regular season starts.
At practice Monday, Jerome Pathon stepped into Finneran's spot and will remain there unless he is unseated. Rookie Adam Jennings, diminutive (5-foot-9, 181) but bulldog tough, has drawn constant praise since training camp started and will be given opportunities to compete for the No. 3 receiver job.
"The good thing is we have Jerome and Jennings," Vick said. "Jerome has been in the league a long time and he's a reliable receiver, great moves and great quickness. I think he'll be the guy to step up, some of the young guys too. I'm looking forward to Jerome playing his role and some big catches for us."
Roddy White and Michael Jenkins are the starters and Mora said they really have no choice but to shed the potential tag and produce now.
Still, the Falcons frequently use three-wide receiver sets, which is why Finneran's loss is viewed as significant. Sixty-eight percent of his career receptions went for first downs or touchdowns. Finneran (6-5, 217 pounds) also was a standout blocker in the running game and was one of Atlanta's top special teams players.
The offensive staff is contemplating adjusting certain personnel and strategic schemes that favored Finneran's strengths but would not play to the strengths of his possible replacements. Jenkins, White and tight ends Alge Crumpler and Dwayne Blakley could be utilized more in the short-yardage passing game, especially in the red zone, Mora said.
"Without sounding cold or callous, you are going to suffer injuries and to have it happen early in camp, it gives you a chance to make alternate plans," Mora said. "When you suffer an injury during the season or right before the first game, you only have six days, max, during the season to get another guy in, get him trained in your system and get him on the field."

dirty

EOG Master
NP Ensign

Need for better receivers is critical

By Mark Bradley | Monday, July 31, 2006, 08:51 PM

Mark Bradley

Flowery Branch ? It says something about the Falcons that Brian Finneran became, over the past four seasons, their best wide receiver. Finneran is a good player and a fine fellow to be sure, but on how many of the NFL?s 31 other teams would he have been the go-to guy on third-and-8?
It says something about recent Falcons history that Finneran?s knee injury is being treated as a Major Blow. As Jim Mora said Monday, ?It?s hard to underestimate what Finn did for us. A lot of his catches were significant catches, and now somebody [else] has to make those catches.?
And that?s the greater point. For the Falcons ever to throw the ball half as well as they run it, they must develop better receivers than Brian Finneran. This franchise has devoted a disproportionate allotment of resources ? trading for Peerless Price, signing Dez White, burning first-round picks on Michael Jenkins and Roddy White in consecutive seasons ? to upgrading the position, and to date the Falcons haven?t been able to improve on an undrafted free agent from Villanova.
That may have been about to change anyway, but with Finneran?s loss it has to change now. This was already being targeted as the season of arrival for Jenkins and Roddy White, but we?ve been expecting a No. 1 receiver to emerge since Michael Vick was a rookie, and nobody has. Price was a dud. Dez White left no imprint. Jenkins and Roddy White weren?t ready. As a result, every third-and-8 became the same old song: Look first to Alge Crumpler, and then throw it high for Finn.
?It?s going to be hard to replace [Finneran],? Vick said. ?You just don?t find good receivers, natural receivers, possession receivers.?
The Falcons haven?t so far, but hopes remain high for Jenkins and Roddy White. Much has been made of their heightened rapport with Vick, who had clearly come to prefer Finneran among the wideouts he worked with professionally. ?We?ve been working hard in the offseason,? Jenkins said. ?With Finn being out, it gives us a chance to pick it up even more.?
More than an opportunity, bigger seasons from the two No. 1s have been rendered mandatory. Said Mora: ?It has to accelerate things. ? It puts the onus on younger guys to step up. It?s a lot more definitive that they have to make an immediate impact.?
It?s hard to know where the blame for the Falcons? continuing inability to throw the ball downfield rests. On Greg Knapp for trying to plug Vick into an ill-suited scheme? On Vick for being inaccurate? On the receivers for their inability to get open? Whatever the cause, the effect has been apparent: The Falcons could run but they couldn?t throw. They had the NFL?s sixth-worst passing offense last season, and their most productive wideout ? Finneran, who had 50 receptions ? didn?t crack the league?s top 30 in catches.
A team with two first-round picks at one position shouldn?t be so limited. As Jenkins said, ?People want to see first-round picks perform and perform well.? And Rich McKay, who oversaw the selection of both Jenkins and Roddy White, is considered a shrewd judge of personnel. Neither player has yet justified his lofty draft status. One or both has to make a great leap forward this fall.
?We?ve had time in the system, with the same quarterback,? Jenkins said. ?There shouldn?t be any excuses.?
There can?t be. So long as Finneran was on the active roster, he gave the Falcons a safety net. No matter how underwhelming the latest imports might be, he?d make more than his share of plays and thereby lend the receiving corps a semblance of professionalism. He won?t work again until 2007, and in his absence somebody has to provide the catches Finneran would supply and the ones ? the speed plays ? he wasn?t capable of making.
Somebody has to act older and play bigger, maybe two or three somebodies. That safety net just got ripped away.
Permalink | Comments (35) | Post your comment | Categories: Falcons / NFL, Mark Bradley

dirty

EOG Master
Cornerback Hall tries receiver

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 08/03/06 Flowery Branch ? The answer to some of the Falcons' concerns at wide receiver might not come from a free agent or a player on another roster, or even their own offense, for that matter.
The answer might be Pro Bowl cornerback DeAngelo Hall.
Curtis Compton / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">DeAngelo Hall (wearing a No. 4 practice jersey instead of his regular 21), runs a route as receivers (from left) Cedric Bonner, Jerome Pathon and Jamin Elliott watch. Hall played defense in team drills.
</td></tr><tr><td>
Curtis Compton / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption"> The Falcons consider cornerback DeAngelo Hall such a potential game-breaker that they are willing to try him on offense as well to get him the ball.
</td></tr><tr><td>
Curtis Compton / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption"> Wide receivers coach George Stewart watches DeAngelo Hall catch a pass at practice.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> The Falcons began the process Wednesday when Hall ? the NFL's fastest man ? spent a good chunk of practice working with the wide receivers.
It was not a gimmick or even an experiment, Hall, coach Jim Mora and receivers coach George Stewart said. The Falcons feel Hall is such a potential game-breaker that they have to find ways to get the ball in his hands ? especially since his opportunities for interceptions could diminish as opponents shy away from him.
"He's at the point in his career, defensively, where he understands our scheme inside and out; he's a sound technician, so he can expand a little bit," Mora said. "He's an explosive athlete, and if you can find ways to get him the ball without hampering his ability to play corner or disrupting your offense, you have to investigate."
Mora said this isn't a knee-jerk move to replace Brian Finneran, who suffered a season-ending knee injury during practice Sunday.
"I've been thinking about this for a while," Mora said.
Hall said he was somewhat surprised when Mora came to him before practice Wednesday and told him he wanted him to work with wide receivers during individual and group periods. After the initial shock wore off, Hall was eager to get going ? as long as it wasn't some dog and pony show.
"It's not going to be some hitch plays, fade balls and reverses," Hall said. "It's going to be some things that are in the playbook. It's going to be like I'm a legit receiver because this is a legit deal. We'll see where I fit in. Right now I'm at the bottom of the totem pole and I have the most to learn."
Hall did not take any snaps with the offense during team drills. Instead, he worked in his normal spot on defense.
So what would it be like to cover himself?
"That's probably the best matchup out there," Hall said.
Quarterback Michael Vick, who didn't throw any passes to Hall during practice because he was sidelined with a mild hamstring strain, said the possibility of incorporating Hall into the offense is intriguing.
"He looked good," Vick said. "Any time you've got an athlete like DeAngelo Hall, who wants to do anything to help this football team to win, you've got to take into consideration that he wants the ball on offense. We know he can catch and he can run. It's all a part of figuring out what we can do with it."
Hall won't be used as the No. 3 receiver, Finneran's role, because playing defense is his top priority. If this dalliance on offense tempers his effectiveness at all, it will be shelved.
"You've got to respect the game and the importance of what we're trying to accomplish, so you can't play either position halfway," Hall said.
Hall was used sparingly at wide receiver as a rookie in 2004, and he played several snaps a game on both sides of the ball at Virginia Tech. Just his presence sent chills through defenses, Stewart said.
"It's a playoff game in 2004 against the Rams and we put him in at wide receiver, so that tells you the level of respect we have for him," Stewart said. "We throw him a hitch pass and he got about 6, 8 yards, but he made about three or four guys miss. In terms of value to this football team, when you lose Brian Finneran, you lose 50 catches a season. But with DeAngelo Hall, you have a guy who can provide a big spark.
"He's a great defensive back but he could be a quarterback and be an All-Pro quarterback. He could be a defensive lineman and be an All-Pro defensive lineman. If he were a chef, he'd have his own restaurant."

dirty

EOG Master
Falcons consider Porter, Lelie

Falcons consider Porter, Lelie

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 08/03/06 Flowery Branch ? The Falcons are exploring trade possibilities for a pair of disgruntled but productive veteran wide receivers: Oakland's Jerry Porter and Denver's Ashley Lelie.
Atlanta's personnel department has been doing due diligence on both players but probably will wait at least a week to decide whether to pursue a trade.
Curtis Compton / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption"> Michael Vick rested his sore hamstring but still took part in practice on Wednesday by studying plays with offensive coordinator Greg Knapp. Vick probably will not practice Thursday, either.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> The Falcons are trying to figure out how to replace No. 3 wide receiver Brian Finneran, who suffered a season-ending knee injury at practice Sunday. They want to take an extended look at players already in house ? they worked out cornerback DeAngelo Hall at wide receiver Wednesday ? before exploring outside interests.
"We're still working through a lot of scenarios that could involve players from another team, players out on the street and players that are on our team," coach Jim Mora said.
Porter, a seven-year veteran who has been at odds with new coach Art Shell, has caught 140 passes for 1,940 yards the past two seasons. Lelie, mainly a deep threat, caught 42 passes for 770 yards last season. He has not reported to Denver's training camp with hopes of being dealt.
Whether either of those players would settle for being the No. 3 receiver could be another issue, but Mora said any player the Falcons bring in ? if they do bring a player in ? would not replace or even compete with Michael Jenkins and Roddy White, the team's starting wide receivers.
The agent for 17-year veteran free agent Ricky Proehl said Tuesday that he has spoken with the Falcons about Proehl's services, but the team wanted to wait at least a week before making a decision.
Finneran's surgery Thursday
Finneran will have surgery Thursday to repair the torn ACL, displaced kneecap and cartilage damage in his right knee. Finneran sustained the injuries while running a pass route in one-on-one receiving drills Sunday night.
Vick skips practice but is feeling better
Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, who suffered a mild right hamstring strain at practice Tuesday evening, did not participate in Wednesday's practice and probably will not practice at either of Thursday's two sessions.
"My goal is to have him back for the Midtown Touchdown [at Piedmont Park] on Saturday night," Mora said. "I'll say he'll probably be out there for that."
Vick said he felt better Wednesday after receiving several hours of treatment but didn't want to push himself, knowing that in the past when he rushed back from hamstring problems, he was not fully effective.
"I had that feeling before," Vick said about the sensation he felt while scrambling away from defenders in a team drill Tuesday. "I felt it in Tennessee two years ago; I felt it last year in the Seattle game. When I took that false step, I knew exactly what was going to happen, so I stopped in my tracks. I'm glad I caught it on time."
Matt Schaub, Bryan Randall and D.J. Shockley handled quarterback duties Wednesday.
Heat index drops with storm
The heat index was 101 degrees according to Weather.com when the Falcons started practice, but it dropped rapidly as lightning and thunderstorms moved in and forced the team to work out in its indoor facility.

dirty

EOG Master
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="left" valign="top"> Posted Thursday, August 3 at 2:35 PM

</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Schaub bolstered by Atlanta's refusal of trade offers
by The Associated Press

FLOWERY BRANCH - Bolstered by the confidence of seeing the Atlanta Falcons refuse trade offers for him in him in the offseason, Matt Schaub is entering his third season as Michael Vick's top backup.

With Vick out with a hamstring injury this week, Schaub has had more snaps with the first-string offense. He says he is enjoying his reunion with new quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave, who was his offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Virginia.

Schaub played his sophomore and junior seasons under Musgrave with the Cavaliers. Musgrave was the offensive coordinator when Schaub was named the 2002 Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Year.
</td> <!--END STORY//--> </tr> <tr> </tr><tr><td align="left">
?Copyright 2006 AccessNorthGa.com / WDUN News/Talk 550.</td></tr></tbody></table>

dirty

EOG Master
Notes from Flowery Branch

Notes from Flowery Branch

AJC > Sports > Falcons > Training Camp Blog
<!--COMMON --> <!--BYLINE--> <!--ORG LINE --> <!--RELATED CONTENT PODCASTS --> <!--RELATED CONTENT BOX --> <!-- empty local --> <!----- COMPILATIONS OF PARTS BELOW ----> <!--DONT DELETE THIS LOCAL INCLUDE --> <!-- empty local --> Clocking out

By A. Scott Walton | Thursday, August 3, 2006, 11:00 AM
Final notations as today?s morning practice session draws to a close:
Rookie cornerback Jimmy Williams must have an oil tanker?s worth of confidence in his natural ability. Where?s his intensity during scrimmages? He?s prone to lull around in the defensive backfield, fondling his hand towel, until the instant the ball is snapped. Nothing wrong with being low-key. And without doubt he?s flashed considerable talent. But something about him hints of distraction. He?s the anti-D. Hall; a team firebrand who was quick to question referees? calls on receptions in his vicinity, and who drew a chorus of sideline heckling when Jamin Elliott appeared to beat him deep for a TD. The refs ruled that Elliott had landed out of bounds.
The Falcons shouldn?t call off their search for a reliable placekicker just yet. While Mike Koenen and new acquisition Carlos Martinez both proved today that they?ve got the leg to kick 50 yard field goals, neither was able to do it consistently.
If he proves to be durable, rookie running back Jerious Norwood could be one of the shrewder draft picks. As he grows more familiar with the offense, Norwood gets speedier by the day.
D.J. Shockley needs to bounce back after a less-than-stellar showing this morning. Only Matt Schaub and Bryan Randall took snaps during the final rounds of clock drills. And Randall missed only one of his six ?hurry up? passes.
Permalink | Comments (1) | Post your comment |
<!--COMMON--> <!--INCLUDE LOCAL PARTS BEFORE COMPOSITES--> <!--INCLUDE LOCAL PARTS BEFORE COMPOSITES--> <!--DONT DELETE THIS LOCAL INCLUDE --> Latest comments

Longer blogs please. Maybe a bit about the offense, defense, special teams, coaches and a tiny bit about media present.
... read the full comment by Andy | Comment on Reversal of fortunes Read Reversal of fortunes
It seems as though Jimmy will need to learn the hard way. If you saw it, Scott, then I?m sure Donatell and Mora saw it too.
... read the full comment by CRS | Comment on Clocking out Read Clocking out
why would the falcons risk D. Hall getting hurt playing receiver? Thats crazy.
... read the full comment by chris | Comment on Man of mystery Read Man of mystery
Regarding the kicker issue, I have observed many football seasons over the years including a college national championship while attending that school and I will tell you that more often than not the kicking game was the primary reason for achieving the
... read the full comment by Vee | Comment on Not much movement Read Not much movement
<!-- See more recent comments | Top commenters
-->
<!--COMMON --> <!--BYLINE--> <!--ORG LINE --> <!--RELATED CONTENT PODCASTS --> <!--RELATED CONTENT BOX --> <!-- empty local --> <!----- COMPILATIONS OF PARTS BELOW ----> <!--DONT DELETE THIS LOCAL INCLUDE --> <!-- empty local --> Reversal of fortunes

By A. Scott Walton | Thursday, August 3, 2006, 10:40 AM
Speedy defensive back DeAngelo Hall is spreading the wealth of his talents this morning. No sooner had this blogger posted the first entry of the day and returned to the practice field then Hall had switched into his normal defensive team jersey and begun locking down receivers in drills.
Another cornerback, Jason Webster, is far from as visible. Webster?s returned after missing several days of work with a strained foot. Apparently coaches won?t be rushing him back into the starting rotation: the highly drafted rookie, Jimmy Williams, is running with the first team and the quarterbacks aren?t often throwing in his direction.
Coaches are taking long hard looks at who?ll be the main backup to ?the? backup at QB. While Matt Schaub _ the designated starter until Mike Vick returns from his hamstring injury _ was lobbing passes to the running backs on one side of the field, D.J. Shockley and Bryan Randall were working the longer routes with receivers.
Things looked good for Shockley until he had to start throwing against defenders. Randall got to run the second team offense. Shockley, working with the third string, went 1 for 4 passing with one throw batted down at the line and another intercepted by Brunswick native Bill Alford.
<!--COMMON --> <!--BYLINE--> <!--ORG LINE --> <!--RELATED CONTENT PODCASTS --> <!--RELATED CONTENT BOX --> <!-- empty local --> <!----- COMPILATIONS OF PARTS BELOW ----> <!--DONT DELETE THIS LOCAL INCLUDE --> <!-- empty local --> Man of mystery

By A. Scott Walton | Thursday, August 3, 2006, 09:15 AM
Exactly how much star cornerback DeAngelo Hall will figure into the Falcons? offense remains to be seen. But an indicative sign came this morning, when Hall emerged from the locker room wearing one of the offense?s designated jerseys and doing no work at all with the defense so far.
Throughout ongoing catching drills, Hall looks extremely sure-handed and at ease with the transition. It?ll be interesting to see how he looks running through plays.
For the first time during training camp, NFL referees are present to officiate over scrimmages. Before practice even started, special teams coach Joe DeCamillis had corraled the refs for a lengthy, body-language debate over what constituted a clipping penalty during kick returns.
Michael Vick, to this point, is not on the field.
<!--COMMON --> <!--BYLINE--> <!--ORG LINE --> <!--RELATED CONTENT PODCASTS --> <!--RELATED CONTENT BOX --> <!-- empty local --> <!----- COMPILATIONS OF PARTS BELOW ----> <!--DONT DELETE THIS LOCAL INCLUDE --> <!-- empty local --> Not much movement

By A. Scott Walton | Wednesday, August 2, 2006, 05:05 PM
The offense has just finished the serious business of running plays with Matt Schaub under center in place of the injured (hamstring) starting QB Michael Vick. Vick looked calm and healthy while sauntering onto the field, flashing a peace sign, to observe.
This is this blogger?s first time seeing tight end Alge Crumpler fully involved in team drills. He is running and cutting well, and catching everything thrown his way.
DeAngelo Hall, after receiving a congratulatory low-five from head coach Jim Mora, returned to working with the starting defense. And once the starting offense and defense started tangling against each other, the D definitely had the upper hand. Aside from some downfield passes Schaub was able to squeeze between double coverage Michael Jenkins and Roddy White, the chains weren?t moving much.
Permalink | Comments (8) | Post your comment |
<!--COMMON --> <!--BYLINE--> <!--ORG LINE --> <!--RELATED CONTENT PODCASTS --> <!--RELATED CONTENT BOX --> <!-- empty local --> <!----- COMPILATIONS OF PARTS BELOW ----> <!--DONT DELETE THIS LOCAL INCLUDE --> <!-- empty local --> Flashes from Shockley

By A. Scott Walton | Wednesday, August 2, 2006, 05:00 PM
Not-so-distant flickers of lightning have caused the rest of practice to be moved indoors. Patchy blue skies above, but perhaps the team?s erring on the side of being overly cautious.
With everyone inside, very few saw Brian Finneran exiting the administrative building gingerly on crutches with a massive brace on his injured knee. He smiled and waved meekly to the security staff and seemed fairly upbeat considering his season-ending circumstances.
Matt Schaub is not have the greatest of days as Michael Vick?s fill-in. Perhaps it?s a timing issue, but he?s not getting the ball to receivers in stride consistently. So they?re often having to make acrobatic catches, if they can get to the ball at all.
D.J. Shockley is getting quite a few snaps and is capitalizing on the opportunities with accurate passes and quick decisions on when to pull it down and run.
During one-on-one drills, rookie cornerback Jimmy Williams seems to be having little difficulty locking down Roddy White, who?s showing signs of frustration with how few receptions he?s making today.
There?s no telling whether he?s heard the rumors ? strictly rumors ? that surfaced today about his possibly being traded to Denver, but T.J. Duckett is taking quite a few handoffs today and applying some head-down brute force to a starting defensive line that?s acting like the season opener is this weekend, not six weeks away.
Permalink | Comments (5) | Post your comment |

dirty

EOG Master
FALCONS REPORT
Even fight raging at third QB slot

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 08/04/06 Flowery Branch ? A week into Falcons training camp and nearly all of the projected position battles remain deadlocked.
Bryan Randall and D.J. Shockley have been equally impressive in their bid for the No. 3 quarterback job, coach Jim Mora said, although Shockley's huddle presence and field generalship have eased any concerns of him being overwhelmed as a rookie.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Rookie tailback Jerious Norwood also has been impressive but veteran T.J. Duckett, who reported to camp in top shape, has put up more than a tough fight for the backup tailback spot, Mora added.
About the only place where there has been a shakeup has been at nose guard, where Darrell Shropshire has been promoted to starter over Chad Lavalais, although that switch has not been set in stone, Mora said.
"I can't wait to see those guys in preseason games," Mora said of Randall and Shockley. "I've been really impressed with D.J. Just his personality, the way he conducts his business. The way he goes about running the show. He's got a real maturity to him. I can tell now why people love him. He's got a certain persona about him. Plus, he's got a whip. When he decides to throw it, he can sling it.
"Bryan Randall certainly is not backing down."
Duckett, who is in the last year of his contract and has been mentioned in trade talks, has run with authority and consistency, but Norwood has breakaway speed and a running style that is tailor-made for the Falcons offense, Mora said.
"He's got that one cut-and-go ability you like in this zone scheme," Mora said of Norwood. "I've been impressed with the way T. J. has played and practiced. He's going after it."
Webster's practice his first in five days
Cornerback Jason Webster (foot sprain), linebacker Jordan Beck (ankle), guard Kynan Forney (foot) and tight end Daniel Fells (foot) returned to practice on Thursday.
Webster, who's trying to hold off a challenge from rookie Jimmy Williams, was out since Saturday. Williams stated that he wanted Webster's spot.
"I don't take it personal," Webster said. "I see it as a good thing. We can both make each other better."
Cornerback Hall practices at receiver
Cornerback DeAngelo Hall opened practice with the wide receivers again. He even donned the offense's red practice jersey. After about 30 minutes, he returned to defense, where he switched to a white practice jersey.
NFL officials attend, help interpret rules
NFL officials were on hand to help with practice and meet with the players to review points of emphasis for this season. They'll also work today and Saturday with the Falcons. The officials were especially helpful when the Falcons practiced their two-minute offense.
"About three or four things came up that the officials were able to clarify for the players and coaches just to make sure that we are teaching it right," Mora said.
Saturday morning's workout closed
The Falcons will practice Saturday morning at team headquarters but the workout will be closed to the public. The team will practice Saturday night at Grady Stadium next to Piedmont Park as part of the Midtown Touchdown festivities. Practice at the 7,500-seat stadium has been sold out. All other activities, including concerts, autograph signings and fireworks, are free to the public. ... More than a dozen youths were awarded autographed Falcons jerseys by players after Thursday's practices.

dirty

EOG Master
'I want to get to the Super Bowl'
Q and A: Falcons RB Warrick Dunn

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 08/03/06 Falcons tailback Warrick Dunn, 31, is coming off the best season of his NFL career. He received a contract extension this summer that keeps him with the Falcons through 2008 but acknowledges he's in the twilight of his career.
Dunn sat down with Falcons beat writer Steve Wyche Thursday morning to discuss a variety of topics, including going to therapy last year to cope with his mother's murder when he was a teenager and his outreach to Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, who's son James committed suicide last year.
CURTIS COMPTON / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Even though he's preparing for his post-football life, Warrick Dunn says he has plenty of goals remaining as a player.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Q: You've acknowledged that you've gone through therapy to help you cope with your mother's murder when you were a teenager. Are you still doing that and how has that helped you?
A: It helped me open up a lot as a person and to be much more personable and for people to see another side of me where I talk and I laugh more. I'm much more outgoing. For me, it was something I needed to do to get to the next phase of my life. I haven't gone in awhile but I'm going to start back once the season starts to make sure everything I had inside is out. I want to be able to always be free. It's important for me to always go back. I don't need to go back as often as I did but I need to stay connected a little bit.
Q: You have a tight relationship with Tony Dungy, who coached you in Tampa Bay. Did you ever get a chance to talk with him after his son died?
A: I did reach out. He knows that I've been through something very similar. He understood a lot of what I was saying. Sometimes it's good to have somebody tell you, 'If you need to talk, the phone's always on for you to call.' I wanted him to be able to have that same access that I had to him when I was coming up. If you need to vent or know some things, just reach out, I'm here. I'm a good ear because I can probably spread some good wisdom of what to expect, things I've been through.
Q: How receptive was he?
A: He and his family were happy. It was great to see him not as a coach because the roles were reversed a little bit.
Q: Your Homes for the Holidays program, where you build and donate homes to single mothers is well documented. What's not is your type of home. What kind of home do you have?
A: I have not built the Warrick Dunn castle. I probably won't build the Warrick Dunn castle. I have a townhouse in Atlanta and I have a townhouse in Florida. I'm sure there will be a dream house but until I get married and start having kids, it makes no sense to have a big house and nobody to share it with.
Q: You played in the Pro Bowl last year but do you think the general public recognizes you as a Pro Bowl player?
A: I don't think I'll be mentioned in that category. People probably think last year was a fluke. It doesn't bother me. As long as I continue to do what I've been doing, my teammates know how important I am.
Q: Do you think when you're done playing and everybody looks back at your body of work, that's when you'll be recognized?
A: More than likely that will be the case. People always remember you more when you're gone. When somebody passes away, they always talk about the great life that person had. Hopefully, when I leave the game, people can look back and say, 'He was a pretty nice football player. He didn't get the recognition he deserved but he went about his business as a pro and made things happen.'
Q: The last two seasons you had career-high in carries. Do you want to maintain that workload?
A: I want to maintain that level. I don't have a lot of years left to play. So I want to make my run while I can and sustain as long as I can. These last few years, I really want to maximize my playing time, my playing ability and hopefully produce yards. Ultimately, though, I want to get to the Super Bowl. Then, carries, yards, all that stuff is out the window.
Q: They drafted Jerious Norwood and said on draft day, two, three years from now he could take over the starting tailback job. How is it to be in the backfield with the heir-apparent?
A: I just go about my business. They have to do what they have to do as an organization to get a guy ready to play. I'm going to prepare and do what I've been doing for nine years. I've always had obstacles. To keep me wanting to be better, competition is great.
Q: How important was the extension to you?
A: It was important because I don't have to keep proving myself week in and week out the last few years of my career. I can go out and just play, help the team win.

dirty

EOG Master
Heat strokes

By A. Scott Walton | Friday, August 4, 2006, 02:04 PM
While waiting for today?s practice to get going in earnest, I wanted to offer a few pointers for those thinking of attending training sessions out here before they close to the public at an undetermined date. (It?s at coach Jim Mora?s discretion when that will be.)
If you can?t stand the heat, stay away from Flowery Branch. The Heat index is at 99 degrees currently according to Weather.com. It?s so withering that even the air horns coaches blow between drills sound flatulent. Special teams coach Joe DeCamillis had some salty things to say regarding the climate, and how it?s hot in Carolina (where the Falcons launch their season) too.
If you come, realize there?s not much refuge from the sun; and it?s furthest away from the action. Canopied grandstands are situated atop a hill overlooking the practice fields. And today they?re filled to capacity. Everyone else is braving the sun on the grassy hillside beneath.
No official count is being taken, but this looks to be the second largest crowd of the week in spite of the heat. Several radio stations have remote broadcasts going on, and local sportscasters have been trickling in or out all week. The AJC is the only media outlet with multiple representatives here daily.
There?s another canopied grandstand closer to the field, but it?s reserved for the hottie wives and girlfriends of the players and select VIPs. Families are out here in droves and parking across the street from the training complex fills up early.
There?s a slew of mock football activities for the kids, and of course a sizeable merchandise kiosk where sales of Mick Vick jerseys only appear to be rivaled by hand-over-fist sales of frozen lemonade. You?re allowed to bring your own refreshments.
Gotta do the 100 yard dash back onto the field now to see if there?s any action worth noting. Mike Vick has yet to grace the field. P.S. Be sure to read Saturday?s AJC for complete preview coverage of the ?Midtown Touchdown? at Piedmont Park.
Permalink | Comments (0) | Post your comment |
<!--COMMON--><!--INCLUDE LOCAL PARTS BEFORE COMPOSITES--><!--INCLUDE LOCAL PARTS BEFORE COMPOSITES--> <!--DONT DELETE THIS LOCAL INCLUDE --> Latest comments

Would you be interested Ben? Where are you at now?
... read the full comment by Charles | Comment on Clocking out Read Clocking out
Charles, I appreciate the kind words and support. I was just browsing and I saw my name and was like ?Wow?. I didn?t know anyone was paying attention to little ol? me.
When I was in 8th grade, I was all-neighborhood QB/PR/DB?that
... read the full comment by Ben Arndt | Comment on Clocking out Read Clocking out
Scott, the Falcons need to take a look at recently graduated Georgia Tech kicker Ben Arndt. True, he was the Tech punter, but he?s much more than that. He?s a pure placekicker, who served as the backup kicker for Georgia Tech. He had the strongest
... read the full comment by Charles | Comment on Clocking out Read Clocking out
Trade Duckett for Randy Moss!
... read the full comment by savannah falcon | Comment on Flashes from Shockley Read Flashes from Shockley
<!-- See more recent comments | Top commenters
-->
<!--COMMON --><!--BYLINE--><!--ORG LINE --><!--RELATED CONTENT PODCASTS --><!--RELATED CONTENT BOX --><!-- empty local --><!----- COMPILATIONS OF PARTS BELOW ----><!--DONT DELETE THIS LOCAL INCLUDE --> <!-- empty local --> Clocking out

By A. Scott Walton | Thursday, August 3, 2006, 11:00 AM
Final notations as today?s morning practice session draws to a close:
Rookie cornerback Jimmy Williams must have an oil tanker?s worth of confidence in his natural ability. Where?s his intensity during scrimmages? He?s prone to lull around in the defensive backfield, fondling his hand towel, until the instant the ball is snapped. Nothing wrong with being low-key. And without doubt he?s flashed considerable talent. But something about him hints of distraction. He?s the anti-D. Hall; a team firebrand who was quick to question referees? calls on receptions in his vicinity, and who drew a chorus of sideline heckling when Jamin Elliott appeared to beat him deep for a TD. The refs ruled that Elliott had landed out of bounds.
The Falcons shouldn?t call off their search for a reliable placekicker just yet. While Mike Koenen and new acquisition Carlos Martinez both proved today that they?ve got the leg to kick 50 yard field goals, neither was able to do it consistently.
If he proves to be durable, rookie running back Jerious Norwood could be one of the shrewder draft picks. As he grows more familiar with the offense, Norwood gets speedier by the day.
D.J. Shockley needs to bounce back after a less-than-stellar showing this morning. Only Matt Schaub and Bryan Randall took snaps during the final rounds of clock drills. And Randall missed only one of his six ?hurry up? passes.
Permalink | Comments (4) | Post your comment |
<!--COMMON --><!--BYLINE--><!--ORG LINE --><!--RELATED CONTENT PODCASTS --><!--RELATED CONTENT BOX --><!-- empty local --><!----- COMPILATIONS OF PARTS BELOW ----><!--DONT DELETE THIS LOCAL INCLUDE --> <!-- empty local --> Reversal of fortunes

By A. Scott Walton | Thursday, August 3, 2006, 10:40 AM
Speedy defensive back DeAngelo Hall is spreading the wealth of his talents this morning. No sooner had this blogger posted the first entry of the day and returned to the practice field then Hall had switched into his normal defensive team jersey and begun locking down receivers in drills.
Another cornerback, Jason Webster, is far from as visible. Webster?s returned after missing several days of work with a strained foot. Apparently coaches won?t be rushing him back into the starting rotation: the highly drafted rookie, Jimmy Williams, is running with the first team and the quarterbacks aren?t often throwing in his direction.
Coaches are taking long hard looks at who?ll be the main backup to ?the? backup at QB. While Matt Schaub _ the designated starter until Mike Vick returns from his hamstring injury _ was lobbing passes to the running backs on one side of the field, D.J. Shockley and Bryan Randall were working the longer routes with receivers.
Things looked good for Shockley until he had to start throwing against defenders. Randall got to run the second team offense. Shockley, working with the third string, went 1 for 4 passing with one throw batted down at the line and another intercepted by Brunswick native Bill Alford.
Permalink | Comments (2) | Post your comment |
<!--COMMON --><!--BYLINE--><!--ORG LINE --><!--RELATED CONTENT PODCASTS --><!--RELATED CONTENT BOX --><!-- empty local --><!----- COMPILATIONS OF PARTS BELOW ----><!--DONT DELETE THIS LOCAL INCLUDE --> <!-- empty local --> Man of mystery

By A. Scott Walton | Thursday, August 3, 2006, 09:15 AM
Exactly how much star cornerback DeAngelo Hall will figure into the Falcons? offense remains to be seen. But an indicative sign came this morning, when Hall emerged from the locker room wearing one of the offense?s designated jerseys and doing no work at all with the defense so far.
Throughout ongoing catching drills, Hall looks extremely sure-handed and at ease with the transition. It?ll be interesting to see how he looks running through plays.
For the first time during training camp, NFL referees are present to officiate over scrimmages. Before practice even started, special teams coach Joe DeCamillis had corraled the refs for a lengthy, body-language debate over what constituted a clipping penalty during kick returns.
Michael Vick, to this point, is not on the field.
<!--COMMON --><!--BYLINE--><!--ORG LINE --><!--RELATED CONTENT PODCASTS --><!--RELATED CONTENT BOX --><!-- empty local --><!----- COMPILATIONS OF PARTS BELOW ----><!--DONT DELETE THIS LOCAL INCLUDE --> <!-- empty local --> Not much movement

By A. Scott Walton | Wednesday, August 2, 2006, 05:05 PM
The offense has just finished the serious business of running plays with Matt Schaub under center in place of the injured (hamstring) starting QB Michael Vick. Vick looked calm and healthy while sauntering onto the field, flashing a peace sign, to observe.
This is this blogger?s first time seeing tight end Alge Crumpler fully involved in team drills. He is running and cutting well, and catching everything thrown his way.
DeAngelo Hall, after receiving a congratulatory low-five from head coach Jim Mora, returned to working with the starting defense. And once the starting offense and defense started tangling against each other, the D definitely had the upper hand. Aside from some downfield passes Schaub was able to squeeze between double coverage Michael Jenkins and Roddy White, the chains weren?t moving much.
Permalink | Comments (8) | Post your comment |

dirty

EOG Master
FALCONS
Defensive end learns how to use hands

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 08/06/06 If there's a little more punch to second-year defensive end Chauncey Davis' game this season, there's a good reason. Davis spent a few hours training with a boxing/ultimate-fighting competitor in Marietta, learning ways to strike and counter punch.
"He was showing me how to use my hands and how to get offensive linemen's hands off me when they shoot," Davis said. "I only did one session, but that one session taught me a whole lot about what to do with my hands.
Curtis Compton / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption"> Falcons fullback Justin Griffith (33), running back Warrick Dunn (28) and linebacker Ike Reese (98) greet fans at Piedmont Park on Saturday during the Falcons' Midtown Touchdown Festival.
</td></tr><tr><td>
Curtis Compton / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Ladrrius Davis, 10, of Riverdale gets off a throw at the pass, punt and kick area set up at Piedmont Park.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> "I wish I could have gone more, but I had other things scheduled that prevented me from going. I'll be going a lot next offseason, though."
Davis, a part-time starter as a rookie, will back up left defensive end Patrick Kerney and John Abraham on the right side, particularly in running situations.
In learning how to do certain punching drills, Davis said he became better suited to fend off players coming from different angles. That's especially the case when he plays on the right side, not his most comfortable spot and the place he faces opponents' top offensive tackles.
Davis said he hasn't been able to fully utilize some of the skills he learned against Falcons offensive linemen since their zone-blocking style is so different from most players he'll contend with.
However, the extended playing time he received last season has made him feel like a far different player.
"I feel a lot different," Davis said. "I know a lot more stuff than I did compared to last year. It's like it's all coming to me."
Vick returns after missing 3 sessions
Michael Vick returned to practice, going through full drills at both sessions Saturday.
The quarterback sat out the previous three workouts after suffering a mild hamstring strain during practice.
Receiver Pathon misses workouts
Jerome Pathon, who was promoted to the No. 3 wide receiver spot when Brian Finneran tore his anterior cruciate ligament at practice last Sunday, did not take part in either practice Saturday because of a sore hamstring. He didn't practice Friday, either.
Pathon is expected to return to drills this afternoon.
Rookie Adam Jennings, who continues to impress, filled in at third wideout.
Mora eases curfew for Friday night
Coach Jim Mora relaxed curfew Friday night and allowed players to leave the team's training facilities, where they have on-site housing.

dirty

EOG Master
Falcons tight end Fells grabs attention

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER
Published on: 08/05/06 Flowery Branch ? Daniel Fells, the Falcons rookie from Cal-Davis, is making the competition at backup tight end very interesting.
Fells has flashed some soft hands and runs well after making the catch. His play has turned more than a few heads.
Curtis Compton / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption"> A rookie from Cal-Tech, Daniel Fells has soft hands and runs well. Competition is fierce to back up Alge Crumpler.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> "Daniel Fells, the young guy, has showed up for me," coach Jim Mora said. "He does some good things in the passing game."
Fells, a fluid 6-foot-4, 252-pounder who was signed as a free agent, has also caught the attention of quarterback Mike Vick.
"Behind Alge (Crumpler), we need guys who can step up and make plays," Vick said. "I like the young guy, Fells."
With Crumpler recovering from off-season knee and shoulder surgery, and the loss of 6-5 wide receiver Brian Finneran for the season, passing options are crucial.
Last season, the Falcons went with Eric Beverly and Dwayne Blakley behind Crumpler. Long snapper Derek Rackley also plays tight end and will be challenged for his long snapper spot by Boone Stutz, who was signed on Monday. That's four tight ends, when most teams keep just three. Fells will have to beat out Rackley, or challenge Blakley, to make the roster.
The Falcons use a lot of double tight end formations and place a premium on blocking.
Beverly, a converted guard-center, is a bruising blocker in the run game. The Falcons are still evaluating Fells' blocking.
"Sometimes he's not going against our best players," Mora said. "But when we get to the preseason games, we'll get a better feel for him."
Fells, selected as a preseason All-American by the Sports Network, caught only 10 passes for 165 yards and one touchdown during an injury-marred senior season. He missed five games for the Aggies because of an ankle injury he suffered against Stanford on Sept. 17, 2005.
He was recruited out of Fullerton, Calif., by Boise State and Colorado State, but was not offered a scholarship. His brother was already in school at Cal-Davis.
"I'm out here having fun and just playing," said Fells, who has missed several practices with foot problems. "To get noticed, that's a big deal. I'm just out here trying to get by, make it every day."
Fells is respectful of the veterans he's trying to beat out.
"I know that we have a lot of great talent out here," Fells said. "I'm just trying to learn what I can from Alge and Beverly and go from there."
The backup tight ends got a lot of extra work during minicamps and the organized training activities because Crumpler was recovering.
The extra work is showing up in training camp.
"That helped us evaluate them, using that information going into camp," said tight ends coach Clancy Barone.
The Falcons also have Jason Randall and Klaus Alinen competing at tight end.
Randall, 6-5 and 270 pounds, is a solid blocker.
"I've got a tough task in front of me," Randall said. "It's going to be tough because everybody is good."
Randall, after his college career at Michigan State, spent last season on Detroit's practice squad. The Falcons signed him in January and sent him to NFL Europe to play for the Berlin Thunder.
"My main focus was to work on my route running and catching the ball," Randall said.
Detroit used a lot of the same offensive terminology and that has helped Randall.
"His learning curve isn't where other first-year players in the system would be," Barone said. "He's certainly a guy that has caught our attention. He's a guy that we have to take a long, hard look at."
Beverly was converted into a tight end in 2004 and has no career catches.
In one of the surprises of camp, the Falcons have thrown some passes his way.
"He does so much blocking that we have to feed him a little bit," Vick said. "He deserves it."
Beverly showed Vick that he could catch during offseason workouts.
"We were firing it at him," Vick said. "We were throwing rockets."
However, don't expect Beverly to turn into Kellen Winslow or Ozzie Newsome overnight.
"I'm not trying to go out there and catch a whole bunch of passes," Beverly said. "I know that's not my role. But whenever it's time to do something like that, I've got to be ready for it."
Beverly has made five starts and played in 29 games since being converted into a tight end.
"We are a very productive offense when Eric Beverly is on the football field," Barone said. "I think Eric has got a tremendous value, and he's a good asset to our offensive football team. We're not afraid to use Beverly in all situations."

dirty

EOG Master
Rossum needs return to form

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 08/08/06 Flowery Branch ? Falcons punt and kickoff returner Allen Rossum came to training camp knowing that he had to play well to bounce back from a subpar, injury-marred 2005 season.
He also learned he had to play well to keep his job.
CURTIS COMPTON//AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Allen Rossum returns a kickoff during practice at training camp in Flowery Branch.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> "It's an open competition right now," special teams coach Joe DeCamillis said.
Running back Jerious Norwood and wide receiver Adam Jennings were drafted, in part, to push if not supplant Rossum, a Pro Bowl selection in 2004.
Rossum played in just 10 games last season. He tied a career low with an 8.5-yard average on punt returns. He was having a solid camp this year until a tight hamstring recently prompted coaches to limit his workload. A pulled hamstring also sidelined him for two games early last season.
The door that was closing may have swung back open.
"It's been good," Rossum, who also suffered a late-season knee injury on a punt return, said of the competition. "I was coming off injuries and I hadn't played football in so long. I missed the last [four] games. Just to come back out there and have to refocus and to have no other excuse but to refocus has helped me out tremendously."
Norwood, the speedster from Mississippi State, is working on kickoff returns. Jennings, small, compact and speedy like Rossum, has been returning punts. Both could be key backups on offense, but their potential impact on special teams has coaches intrigued.
They will be tested throughout the preseason ? the Falcons' opener is Friday against New England at the Georgia Dome ? to see if they not only have the physical ability, but can handle the pressure.
"Punt returns are all about big plays, and hopefully I can get an opportunity to make some big plays," Jennings said. "I think I'm going to be able to electrify the crowd."
Said coach Jim Mora: "We like Norwood back there, but he hasn't taken one return yet. Adam Jennings has returned punts. So we're trying to create competition, but fortunately it's competition with a guy that's been in the Pro Bowl."
Rossum knows the nuances of being a returner and how split-second decisions while catching a ball with tacklers bearing down can impact a game.
He made mostly the right decisions in 2004, but last year Rossum was inconsistent, fair-catching 12 of his 29 punt-return attempts and letting catchable balls sail over his head. Not all was bad. Though he had just 31 kickoff returns, he averaged 22.6 yards, his best average in five years.
Rossum said he doesn't want to make excuses for his decreased production last season, but his injuries forced the Falcons to try a bevy of returners, including Brian Finneran (out for this season with a knee injury), Michael Jenkins, DeAngelo Hall, T.J. Duckett and Jerome Pathon.
As outwardly confident as Rossum remained at the time, he said he knew he wasn't himself. So he spent part of the offseason watching DVDs of his play from last season.
"I understand a lot more things now," Rossum said. "After looking back at some of the mistakes I made, some of the things that didn't work for us, you always ask yourself, 'Why didn't it work? Why did I run this way? What was I thinking?'
"I wanted to come in this offseason and work as hard as I could. I'm more focused on the task at hand."

dirty

EOG Master
Mora defends camp's intense pace

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 08/07/06 Flowery Branch ? Falcons coach Jim Mora said Sunday that his players probably don't like him too much right now because of the tough training camp he's running.
Their feelings about that don't mean much, however, because Mora is going to keep pushing the team hard for most of this week, even though Atlanta's exhibition opener is Friday against New England at the Georgia Dome.
Curtis Compton / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption"> DeAngelo Hall delights in picking off a pass intended for a fan during Saturday's practice at Grady Stadium. The session followed a day of interaction between players and fans at Piedmont Park.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> "I'll back off," Mora said. "I'm not going to be stupid. I want them to be fresh for the game, but I also know our starters are only going to play a series, maybe, so they've got to work. You can't ease up on the starters so much that they don't work real hard on Wednesday, they don't really work hard on Thursday, then they only play a couple series in the game and then they have Saturday off. That's a pretty good break. I don't want them to have that much of a break."
The Falcons practice twice today, once Tuesday, twice Wednesday and once Thursday. The final two days of drills will focus on game preparation, Mora said.
When the team reconvenes Sunday for its first practice after the exhibition game, the intensity will be ratcheted up again until a day or so before the Falcons' exhibition game Aug. 19 at Green Bay.
Exhibition schedule length just right
The number of exhibition games is an issue that comes up every few years, but Mora said four games are ideal ? at least for coaches.
"It seems long, and I can see why veteran players don't like it," Mora said. "If I was a veteran player I wouldn't like it either, but for coaches that have to make decisions on certain guys in a competitive environment, that's a great place to evaluate them."
Last season the Falcons played five exhibition games ? the first against Indianapolis in Tokyo ? and Mora said the early start to training camp and travel disrupted the flow he feels he's established this season.
Pathon returns; White day-to-day
Starting wide receiver Roddy White suffered a mild hamstring strain during practice Sunday and is day-to-day. Third wide receiver Jerome Pathon, who missed three practices with a strained hamstring returned.
Prompt arrival benefits Williams
Cornerback Jimmy Williams, a second-round draft pick who was the team's top choice this summer, has shown significant improvement during the past week, in part because he was at camp from the first day, president and general manager Rich McKay said.
Williams missed the first practice ? he watched the final hour from the sideline ? because of the timing of reaching contract terms, but he was not involved in an extended holdout like last season's first-round pick, White, who took several weeks to gain his footing at wide receiver.
"Jimmy Williams is an example of when you get a guy that comes in and gets to go full-go in practice there is a benefit," McKay said. "Coaches, when a guy misses three days or four days in a holdout, will be the first to tell you, 'We'll overcome it. He's only missed a couple days.' They're right, but those practices are big practices and you've seen how much he's progressed just by being in our system and understanding what we do and what we're going to ask him to do."
Ringing endorsement for the defense
The addition of defensive end John Abraham, safeties Lawyer Milloy and Chris Crocker and the return of middle linebacker Ed Hartwell from an Achilles tendon injury should upgrade the Falcons defense.
How much?
Let's ask Pro Bowl cornerback DeAngelo Hall.
"The excitement we're going to bring is going to be unparalleled," Hall said. "We're really going to challenge Baltimore for the best defense in this decade. We are going to make is happen. Watch."

dirty

EOG Master
Falcons' Williams stung by backup role

By ANDRE' L. SHANNON
Published on: 08/07/06 It wasn't the news that Falcons linebacker Demorrio Williams was expecting to hear.
While at his offseason home in Beckville, Texas, Williams received a call from linebackers coach Chris Beake informing him that he would be reduced to a backup role this season. It will be Michael Boley who will start at strong-side linebacker.
Curtis Compton / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption"> Demorrio Williams, trying to recover a fumble by the Jets' Vinny Testaverde last season, started all 16 games and had 132 tackles.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> "He was, like, next year we're going to look at you at [the weak-side linebacker] spot. ... I was like, dang," Williams said. "It's Keith's [Brookings'] position. I can work hard and do this and that, but he's the guy right now. That's just like putting yourself in Matt Schaub's situation. No matter what he does, [Michael Vick's] the guy."
The news didn't sit well with the third-year player.
"If you're the type of guy that goes out and does some of the things I did last year, and they tell you you're going to have to take a step down ... that's hard to take," he said. "It hurt me and it crushed me a little bit, but you take your licks and keep going."
Williams, who is 6 feet, 224 pounds, began last season at strong-side linebacker but moved to the weak side after the loss of middle linebacker Ed Hartwell to an Achilles tendon injury. He used his athletic ability to help in the run game and pass coverage on the weak side, as Brooking moved to the middle to fill in for Hartwell. Brooking returns to his weak-side position now that Hartwell is healthy.
"I felt real good about myself," said Williams, who started all 16 games and was second on the team with 132 tackles.
"I made some mistakes, and I said when I come back I'm going to be ready to do this thing. I got the feel of it and the bugs out of me and played in all situations. I felt like when I came back it was on."
This season Williams will be used in nickel packages and as a hybrid player, lining up as a fourth linebacker in some sets. Falcons coach Jim Mora said Williams will still see the field plenty.
"He's our backup [weak-side linebacker], which means he's Keith Brooking's backup and he's our nickel linebacker," Mora said. "It's not unthinkable that we create some special packages for him because he's a playmaker and we want to get him involved. He'll also have a big role on special teams."
Williams said he still isn't content with that role. He plans to fight hard for as much playing time as possible, but said it feels like he's back to square one.
"I'll be basically doing a lot of the same things I did as a rookie," he said. "It's another step back to that stuff again. You never feel good about that; it was a coach's decision. The only thing I can do is try to fight through it, and when my name is called just make the play.
"Nobody likes to be dropped. You feel like you go out and work your way up the hill and then you fall back off the hill. It's a rough thing."
Mora said Williams has no reason to worry; he will still be a key member of the team's defense.
"Although he won't be on the depth chart when they list the 11 starters, we consider him a starter because he starts in our nickel," Mora said.
"He plays at least a third of the snaps in a game and usually more than that. It's not unlikely he'll play 500-plus plays. He still has a significant role, and we're expecting big things from him."
Although the news was hard for Williams to take, it's all about football now and he has no intention of being a disruption to the team.
"I didn't like it or agree with it, I'm not going to lie, but what can I do?" he said.
"I'm going to be a part of my team and come out here and work."

dirty

EOG Master
Preseason opener big for Shockley

By Steve Wyche | Monday, August 7, 2006, 03:55 PM
The Falcons open up their preseason game schedule Friday against New England at the Georgia Dome and if you want to see the starters, you better get there early. Michael Vick, John Abraham, Keith Brooking and Co., will play a series, maybe two, before getting the rest of the game off.
This is the time coaches want to evaluate younger players and, in the case of the Falcons, they want to put the hopefuls in situations where they could be facing decent for more than just a few snaps.
Since the game is at home, the player most on the spot could be former Georgia quarterback D.J. Shockley, who is from Atlanta. Arguably the most well known seventhp-round pick in recent Falcons? lore, Shockley will try to entrench himself as the front runner for the No. 3 job.
The way practice has been shaking out, Shockley seems to have pulled ahead of Bryan Randall. Coaches love him. I can?t stress this enough. Not only has he picked things up quickly, but they love his huddle presence, his dialogue with coaches and his ability to put his teammates at ease.
Factor in his strong arm and his improved accuracy, and Shockley seems set to make the active roster as the backup to the backup.
However, his production in games will prove his worthiness. A lot of guys look good in practice, but buckle when things matter. That?s not Shockley?s M.O., but being the local kid and college hero playing in front of hometown fans could add some pressure to the situation.
Permalink | Comments (135) | Post your comment |

dirty

EOG Master
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="left" valign="top"> Posted Tuesday, August 8 at 3:04 PM

</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Brooking moving back to weakside LB
by The Associated Press

FLOWERY BRANCH - After making 11 starts at middle linebacker last season, Keith Brooking has moved back to weakside linebacker.

Brooking should benefit from his time at middle linebacker, according to coach Jim Mora, who said the veteran from Georgia Tech now is able to see the field better.

Brooking was named last season to his fifth straight Pro Bowl, joining Claude Humphrey and Mike Kenn as the only Falcons to earn that honor.

Brooking, an eighth-year linebacker, led Atlanta in total tackles (150) for the fifth consecutive season in addition to tallying 3 1/2 sacks and intercepting a career-high four passes.

In his career, he has totaled 200-plus tackle seasons in 2002 and 2003, becoming only the second Falcons player to tally 200 or more tackles in a season twice.

Atlanta opens the preseason schedule on Friday against the New England Patriots.
</td> <!--END STORY//--> </tr> <tr> </tr><tr><td align="left">
?Copyright 2006 AccessNorthGa.com / WDUN News/Talk 550.</td></tr></tbody></table>

AccessNorthGa.com - News Articles: North Georgia's Sporting News Weather and News

dirty

EOG Master
Falcons' rookies get their chance
Shockley, others must sink or swim Friday

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 08/10/06 Flowery Branch ? Some of D.J. Shockley's Falcons teammates recently approached him to see if he was going to need both his team-allotted tickets for Friday's exhibition opener against New England at the Georgia Dome.
"Then they thought about who they're asking and were like, 'Oh. Nevermind,' " Shockley said.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Mom and dad got the freebies. Two other family members are going on Shockley's dime.
The former University of Georgia player begins his public quest to earn the No. 3 quarterback job from Bryan Randall in friendly territory. It will come in an atmosphere where the pressure to succeed will test his ability not to be overwhelmed by the magnitude of the situation.
"The most nervous part probably will be when I see Coach walking toward me and he says, 'You're going in,' " Shockley said.
He could be awestruck by the enormity of the beginning of his pro career or he could show the traits that have coaches smitten ? poise and confidence.
"A lot of guys that look good in practice fall apart in a game," Falcons coach Jim Mora said. "They can't make decisions. They can't react. The pressure's too much. Then there are certain guys that really shine."
Shockley: "One thing that I'm going to have to do is not try to do too much. I know I'm going to be out there trying to make an impression on the coaches and show them what I can do. I've got to focus in on just playing."
Shockley is among several players who are going to make or break their season over the next few weeks. Mora said coaches are going to put players, especially young players, in pressure situations to see if they can deal with team expectations.
There is a push for the Super Bowl this season, and there can't be many weak links, even as far down the depth chart as the No. 3 quarterback.
"I'm really excited to see those quarterbacks play because I like what I see on the practice field," Mora said. "They're going to be fun to watch. They make good decisions, and they're smart and poised. Who knows what's going to happen on Friday night when we get into that second half? Sometimes you get into those situations when all of a sudden all [heck] breaks loose because the guy that's running the huddle can't handle it. With these guys, that isn't going to be the case, I don't think. It would surprise me if they panic."
Three 2006 draft picks, tailback Jerious Norwood, wide receiver Adam Jennings and cornerback Jimmy Williams, will be evaluated with more of a keen eye than the other two, Shockley and rookie offensive tackle Quinn Ojinnaka, because they are being counted on to contribute this season.
Undrafted rookie defensive tackles Michael Bozeman and T.J. Jackson, defensive ends Josh Mallard and Josh Savage and kicker Tony Yelk also will be under scrutiny because they have been targeted as players who could either be part of the rotation or start, especially Yelk.
Mora wants to see whether Norwood, who was taken in the third round from Mississippi State, will deliver on the game-breaking potential he has shown in practice. While his blazing speed could make him a threat the Falcons need to compete in the NFC South and his cutback style is perfect for their system, Norwood is still settling in.
"I'm looking forward to it big-time," said Norwood, who will back up Warrick Dunn and T.J. Duckett in the offensive backfield and return kickoffs. "I'm still trying to learn how to be patient. I'm very impatient in the backfield. When I get the ball I just want to go fast, and that's not always best. I'm growing a little bit, but I still have a long way to go."

dirty

EOG Master
FALCONS REPORT
Vick slated for two series Friday

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 08/10/06 Flowery Branch ? Falcons quarterback Michael Vick will start Friday's preseason opener against New England at the Georgia Dome but will play no more than two series.
"We're going out there to just have fun, try to put some points up early," Vick said. "It's different in preseason. You know your snaps are going to be limited. You don't get an opportunity to get into much of a rhythm. You just have to go out there and take it for what it's worth, take advantage of your time out there.
Curtis Compton / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption"> No. 2 quarterback Matt Schaub will finish the first half after Michael Vick's two series this Friday.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> "I'm not really a big fan of preseason. I spend more time standing on the sideline chewing up sunflower seeds more than anything."
Backup quarterback Matt Schaub will finish out the first half, then quarterbacks Bryan Randall and D.J. Shockley will split time in the second half, coach Jim Mora said.
Tight end Alge Crumpler probably won't play, to guard against wear and tear on his surgically repaired shoulder and knee. Cornerback and punt returner Allen Rossum (hamstring), safety Kevin Mathis (knee) and cornerback Jason Webster (foot) also could be withheld.
Middle linebacker Ed Hartwell, who is coming off a season-ending Achilles' tendon injury, could play most of the first quarter, as Mora wants him to regain game experience and play with starting linebackers Keith Brooking and Michael Boley. Hartwell, who played in five games last season, never played alongside Boley in a game. Boley joined the starting lineup after Hartwell got hurt.
Wallace done
Running back Butchie Wallace, a second-year player from Marshall, tore his Achilles' tendon while running a pass pattern, ending his season. Wallace had caught the coaching staff's attention, and although the Falcons are deep at tailback, he stood a chance of making the active roster on special teams or being signed to the practice squad.
Surgery is likely, but Wallace is scheduled to undergo further testing to determine the next course of action.
Wallace's injury means that third-round draft pick Jerious Norwood and veteran backup T.J. Duckett might play longer than projected against New England. Second-year running back DeAndra Cobb also could see an increase in carries.
A different look
The Falcons spent part of both practices Wednesday working against formations and schemes run by the Patriots, a measure they'll also take at today's practice.
"We've been working mainly on our stuff, but we introduced a little bit of New England because it is a little different, especially for our offense with the 3-4 [defensive scheme ofthe Patriots]," Mora said. "Our guys are anxious to compete against someone other than ourselves."
Players return
Starting wide receiver Roddy White (hamstring) and defensive tackle Rod Coleman (knee) returned to practice Wednesday after missing the past few days.
A fresh cut
Since the beginning of training camp, Crumpler had sported a beard and more hair on his head than normal ? until Tuesday evening. Crumpler arrived at team headquarters as bald and clean-shaven as Michael Jordan, a grooming change that he said was mandated by his wife.

dirty

EOG Master
Updated Thursday, August 10 at 0:56 AM

Matt Schaub start for Falcons Friday night
by The Associated Press

FLOWERY BRANCH -Atlanta Falcons backup quarterback Matt Schaub will play most of the first half in Friday night's game with the Patriots. Brian Randall and D.J. Shockley will split time after halftime. And Michael Vick will barely play at all.

Falcons coach Jim Mora said Vick will play only one or two series in the preseason opener against New England.

That's just fine with Vick, who broke his leg in a 2003 preseason game and missed a good part of the regular season.

Schaub will play the rest of the first half, then turn the team over to the two guys battling for the Number 3 spot in the quarterback rotation. Mora and his coaches were still trying to sort out the playing time over the final two quarters, but both Randall and Shockley will get a chance to take snaps.

The Falcons may have sustained their second major injury of training camp when running back Butchie Wallace went down in practice Wednesday.

Mora said the 25-year-old free agent appeared to hurt an Achilles' tendon during the first of two workouts. It is the sort of injury that will likely end Wallace's long-shot bid to make the Falcons backfield.

Atlanta already lost Brian Finneran, their leading receiver in 2005, to a season-ending knee injury. Now, the Falcons will be without Wallace when they play their first preseason game Friday night, hosting New England at the Georgia Dome.

The 5-foot-10, 205-pound Wallace wasn't drafted after his college career at Marshall. He signed with the Minnesota Vikings as a free agent and spent the entire 2004 season on the practice squad.

Wallace was waived by the Vikings before the start of last season, though he did return to Minnesota's practice squad late in the year. He then joined the Frankfurt Galaxy of N-F-L Europe and was named M-V-P of the championship game, rushing 18 times for 143 yards and a touchdown in a 22-to-7 victory over Amsterdam.

Wallace was injured during a seven-on-seven drill in the morning practice.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

dirty

EOG Master
FALCONS REPORT
Jimmy Williams to start vs. Patriots

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 08/11/06 Flowery Branch ? The Falcons' top 2006 draft pick, cornerback Jimmy Williams, will start Friday's preseason opener against New England, coach Jim Mora said.
Mora had planned for veteran Jason Webster to start at right cornerback along with starting defensive backs DeAngelo Hall, Lawyer Milloy and Chris Crocker, but Webster has been bothered by a foot injury for most of training camp and has rarely practiced.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> A bone scan showed no fractures to Webster's foot, and Mora said Webster probably could play, but coaches and the medical staff don't want to risk harm to a player who over the past three seasons has missed 18 games to injury.
Williams, drafted in the second round from Virginia Tech, has worked with the first-team defense for all but the first few days of training camp and has drastically improved, Mora said. Mora is eager to see the 6-foot-2, 208 pounder against New England's higher-caliber players.
It also appears that rookies Adam Jennings and Jerious Norwood will handle kickoff return duties and Jennings will return punts. Cornerback Allen Rossum, who typically handles returns, is nursing a sore hamstring and could be held out of the lineup.
Special teams coach Joe DeCamillus said there is an open competition for all return jobs.
In other special teams developments, recently signed rookie Boone Stutz will handle all deep snapping duties tonight instead of six-year veteran Derek Rackley. The Falcons are looking hard at Stutz and camp invitee Josh Mallard at deep snapper, possibly as a means for salary-cap relief.
Eric Beverly probably will start at tight end in place of Alge Crumpler, who had offseason shoulder and knee surgery.
A Magic assist
NBA legend Earvin "Magic" Johnson attended Falcons practice Thursday after speaking to players before the light session and meeting with Mora Wednesday night. Johnson, who sported a red Falcons golf shirt while watching practice, was approached by several players and staffers after practice and took pictures and held brief conversations.
The former Los Angeles Lakers star and worldwide business mogul spoke to some of the team's veterans about leadership and means to sustain respect and success, which Mora said he thought resonated. Johnson, who owns property and several businesses in metro Atlanta, said he developed a friendship with Falcons owner Arthur Blank after meeting him during the Falcons-Eagles season opener last year.
Randall poised
Bryan Randall said being in the Falcons system for a season is working in his favor in his competition for the No. 3 quarterback spot with D.J. Shockley. Randall also said he won't be amused or bothered by the fact that Shockley, who is from Atlanta and played at Georgia, will be the crowd favorite.
"This is his hometown," Randall said. "If I was in Virginia, I'm sure the fans would be cheering for me. That's one thing I can't worry about. All I can do is go out and play. If I do what I'm supposed to do, things will work out."

dirty

EOG Master
EXHIBITION OPENER ? 8 P.M. FRIDAY ? GEORGIA DOME ? CBS
A lot on the line for Schaub, Duckett

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 08/11/06 Flowery Branch ? Matt Schaub and T.J. Duckett spent the summer unsure if they would be back with the Falcons. Teams called, checking to see if either player was available in a trade.
The Falcons held on to both, although maybe not for long.
CURTIS COMPTON / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">T.J. Duckett
</td></tr><tr><td><table bgcolor="#cccccc" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="170"><tbody><tr><td><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="168"><tbody><tr class="railscreen01"><td>Your Turn</td></tr></tbody></table><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="9" cellspacing="0" width="168"><tbody><tr><td> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="2">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script language="javascript"> function clickVote() { document.pollForm.buttonClicked.value = "yes"; document.pollForm.PageId.value = "poll_vote_submit"; document.pollForm.submit(); } function alert1(){ document.pollForm.buttonClicked.value = ""; } </script> <form method="post" action="/poll/poll/poll/take_poll/PollRefresh.jsp" name="pollForm"> <input name="PageId" value="poll_vote_submit" type="hidden"> <input name="pollID" value="10307" type="hidden"> <input name="page" value="take" type="hidden"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td width="100%"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] What are you most anxious to see from the Falcons in their exhibition opener? [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> <td align="right" height="15" width="46">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" valign="top"> <input name="choice" value="36598" type="radio"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Matt Schaub getting a lot of snaps in the first half. [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" valign="top"> <input name="choice" value="36599" type="radio"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] The new-look defense. [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" valign="top"> <input name="choice" value="36600" type="radio"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Somebody who can kick the ball through the uprights. [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" valign="top"> <input name="choice" value="36601" type="radio"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Shockley and the rookies having a good showing. [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">
View Poll Results [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </form> </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Schaub is the backup quarterback some teams wanted to be their starter. Duckett is the burly running back whose North-South running style might fit better elsewhere than in the Falcons' cutback scheme. Both are in the last year of their respective contracts.
Duckett will be an unrestricted free agent, meaning he can sign with any team. However Schaub, because of only being in the league three years, will be a restricted free agent, which allows the Falcons the right to match any offer or receive compensation.
Solid showings, beginning with Friday's preseason opener against the New England Patriots at the Georgia Dome, could bring security, larger roles and sizeable contracts in Atlanta or some place else. Inconsistency or regression and their attractiveness could plummet, as could their negotiating leverage.
"You don't want to think about those outside factors too much," said Schaub, who has lost both his career starts, completing 66 of 134 passes for 825 yards and five touchdowns in two seasons. "You want to keep focused on what you have to do to be successful in these preseason games and let the chips fall where they may."
Added Duckett: "Playing hard. That's all I'm concerned about. I'm not worried about anything else."
The Falcons' four preseason games are crucial for both players, albeit for different reasons.
For Schaub, playing behind Michael Vick, they could be the only chance he gets to showcase himself. For Duckett, he has to bounce back from a sub-par 2005 season and hold off rookie Jerious Norwood, who coaches feel will one day take over for Warrick Dunn as the starter. That was the same thing said about Duckett when he was drafted in the first round in 2002.
"The plan for [Schaub] is not to have him play beyond the last preseason game," coach Jim Mora said.
That is every team's plan, but starting quarterbacks get injured and the success of any season often falls on the strength of the No. 2 quarterback.
That is why the Falcons refused to part with Schaub, even for defensive end John Abraham, who the Falcons eventually acquired from the New York Jets by trading a first-round draft pick.
Vick has never started all 16 games and he's gotten nicked during games, allowing Schaub to prove himself as a potential starter ? one day.
Against New England last season, Schaub rallied Atlanta from 14- and 15-point deficits and completed 18 of 34 passes for 295 yards and three touchdowns but the Patriots won 31-28. Schaub also filled in for Vick against Seattle, Minnesota, Carolina and New Orleans. Those performances along with how he played in the preseason piqued plenty of interest around the league.
Continued progress and teams might be willing to part with a first-round draft pick (and possible a third rounder) to sign Schaub in the offseason.
"I'll just keep doing things the way I've done the best two years. Just go out, play at a high level and try to compete and do my job and help the offense score points," Schaub said.
Though the urgency to perform well in preseason doesn't seem as great for Duckett because he will play in the regular season, he must excel in order to hold off Norwood and accentuate his worth to the Falcons and potential suitors.
Like Schaub, Duckett said thinking too far down the line could do more harm than good.
"I'm not trying to do anything special," Duckett said. "I'll play every down as hard as I can and whatever happens, happens."

dirty

EOG Master
Abraham planning to make a difference

By Mark Bradley | Thursday, August 10, 2006, 05:58 PM

Mark Bradley

Flowery Branch ? John Abraham plays right end. On defense, that?s the glamour position. A quarterback has the best chance to make a big offensive play because he touches the ball every down. A right end has the best chance to make a big defensive play because he can touch the quarterback ? assuming he?s right-handed, which most are ? from his blind side.
Most defenders will pay lip service to the importance of stopping the run. Abraham skips over that part, saying, ?If you can?t stop the run, there?s no reason for anyone ever to pass on you.? But let?s assume this season?s Falcons will stop the run better than last season?s. That done, what commodity propels a defense to the summit?
Big plays.
John Abraham makes big plays.
In six pro seasons, he has 53-1/2 sacks and has induced 19 fumbles. (See what happens when you hit a quarterback when he?s not looking?) Abraham?s arrival in Flowery Branch has passed largely without notice, but when the Falcons start playing ? that comes tonight against New England ? he?ll become rather more apparent.
About those fumbles: ?I learned as I got older. When you?re young, you care more about getting sacks. But I have more opportunity [to force fumbles] than anyone because I?m the right end. Getting the sack is fine, but forcing a fumble is bigger.?
In a difference-making position, Abraham plans to make a difference. Three times a Pro Bowler, Abraham arrives at something approaching a career apex. He?s 28. He wanted to play here partly because it?s close to home ? he?s from Timmonsville, S.C. ? but mostly because the Pro Bowler wants to sniff a championship.
In Abraham?s six seasons in New York, the Jets won one AFC East title and a total of two playoff games. (They were 4-12 last year, a time in which Abraham said he ?learned to focus on my football, not wins and losses.?) In his last season at South Carolina, the Gamecocks were 0-11. When you?re as good a player as he is, you don?t want to be known as the All-Pro who never found the right team.
His new employer, Abraham said, ?has everything it needs already. This defense can be the top defense in the NFL ? top five, easy.?
Certainly this defense has the makings of a front four. Rod Coleman just played in the Pro Bowl. Patrick Kerney, the left end, has 48-1/2 sacks over the last five seasons, and already Abraham senses a wager a-brewing. ?[Kerney is] such a competitor. He?s going to be mad if I have more sacks than he does, and I?m going to be mad if he has seven and I have five and I have to get my grind on. I had something like that [a side bet] with Shaun [Ellis, the Jets? other defensive end] last year.?
For the record, Abraham won by eight sacks. That was about the only positive memory he takes from his final year in New York, although playing for the Jets scarcely qualifies. Abraham lived on Long Island to be close to the Jets? practice facility, and when it came time to play a ?home? date in New Jersey, logistics made it seem ?like a road game. You had to get on the bus and get through the traffic. It?d take three hours to get back. It?ll be a lot easier here ? there?s less traffic.?
That?s correct. Abraham stands as the first transplanted Atlantan not to feel nonplussed by the local road conditions. Indeed, nothing about his relocation has given him cause to reconsider. When he talks to his friends around the league, ?Nobody?s said I made a bad choice [coming here]. I?m going to be close to home. Every game?s going to be a home game.?
And the team? The difference-maker has this immediate goal: ?Nothing less than the Super Bowl. It may be a little too early to say that, but that?s how my heart feels, and I wouldn?t say it if I didn?t believe it. We?ve got the potential ? which is the worst word in the book, by the way ? and if we go 12-4, 13-3, against our schedule, there?s no way we can?t win the championship.?
A Falcons player for not quite five months, John Abraham believes he has found the right team. The Falcons seem certain they?ve found a right end.
Permalink | Comments (5) | Post your comment | Categories: Falcons / NFL, Mark Bradley

dirty

EOG Master
Falcons' rookies get their chance
Shockley, others must sink or swim Friday

By STEVE WYCHE
Published on: 08/10/06 Flowery Branch ? Some of D.J. Shockley's Falcons teammates recently approached him to see if he was going to need both his team-allotted tickets for Friday's exhibition opener against New England at the Georgia Dome.
"Then they thought about who they're asking and were like, 'Oh. Nevermind,' " Shockley said.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Mom and dad got the freebies. Two other family members are going on Shockley's dime.
The former University of Georgia player begins his public quest to earn the No. 3 quarterback job from Bryan Randall in friendly territory. It will come in an atmosphere where the pressure to succeed will test his ability not to be overwhelmed by the magnitude of the situation.
"The most nervous part probably will be when I see Coach walking toward me and he says, 'You're going in,' " Shockley said.
He could be awestruck by the enormity of the beginning of his pro career or he could show the traits that have coaches smitten ? poise and confidence.
"A lot of guys that look good in practice fall apart in a game," Falcons coach Jim Mora said. "They can't make decisions. They can't react. The pressure's too much. Then there are certain guys that really shine."
Shockley: "One thing that I'm going to have to do is not try to do too much. I know I'm going to be out there trying to make an impression on the coaches and show them what I can do. I've got to focus in on just playing."
Shockley is among several players who are going to make or break their season over the next few weeks. Mora said coaches are going to put players, especially young players, in pressure situations to see if they can deal with team expectations.
There is a push for the Super Bowl this season, and there can't be many weak links, even as far down the depth chart as the No. 3 quarterback.
"I'm really excited to see those quarterbacks play because I like what I see on the practice field," Mora said. "They're going to be fun to watch. They make good decisions, and they're smart and poised. Who knows what's going to happen on Friday night when we get into that second half? Sometimes you get into those situations when all of a sudden all [heck] breaks loose because the guy that's running the huddle can't handle it. With these guys, that isn't going to be the case, I don't think. It would surprise me if they panic."
Three 2006 draft picks, tailback Jerious Norwood, wide receiver Adam Jennings and cornerback Jimmy Williams, will be evaluated with more of a keen eye than the other two, Shockley and rookie offensive tackle Quinn Ojinnaka, because they are being counted on to contribute this season.
Undrafted rookie defensive tackles Michael Bozeman and T.J. Jackson, defensive ends Josh Mallard and Josh Savage and kicker Tony Yelk also will be under scrutiny because they have been targeted as players who could either be part of the rotation or start, especially Yelk.
Mora wants to see whether Norwood, who was taken in the third round from Mississippi State, will deliver on the game-breaking potential he has shown in practice. While his blazing speed could make him a threat the Falcons need to compete in the NFC South and his cutback style is perfect for their system, Norwood is still settling in.
"I'm looking forward to it big-time," said Norwood, who will back up Warrick Dunn and T.J. Duckett in the offensive backfield and return kickoffs. "I'm still trying to learn how to be patient. I'm very impatient in the backfield. When I get the ball I just want to go fast, and that's not always best. I'm growing a little bit, but I still have a long way to go."