Can a Team Win by more than 8 in college Football OT?

dirty

EOG Master
FSU is a winner unless Penn state misses and then scores a tD in the next OT and then FSU Throws a INT for a TD on thier Possesion...Highly Unlikely

BigDaddy

EOG Master
Wow didnt figure that was possible it would be just one more bad to beat to add to the list this year!

dirty

EOG Master
yea....The only time it can happen is if the team that has the ball first scores First......And then they have to throw the pick 6

SCI

EOG Enthusiast
I thought the ball was dead after an INT when your up in OT?

Anyway Gongrats the Fl. St backers.

CapnHandi

EOG Addicted
SCI said:
I thought the ball was dead after an INT when your up in OT?

Anyway Gongrats the Fl. St backers.

SCI is correct, After a 13 point overtime winner a few years ago, the rule was changed so that ball is dead on an int. or fumble or blocked kick, etc if one team is ahead.

CapnHandi

EOG Addicted
Changed rule because they are meaningless points (except for gamblers) :D
(maybe gamblers influenced the rule change because that second TD in OT did provide the cover too - crazy game!)

Same reason they don't kick an extra point in overtime if team wins without it (true also in pro's - no extra points in OT)

In collge OT, if first team kicks a FG and then team2 scores a TD, no extra pt will be kicked.

I thought the "official" line was to prevent injuries on a game already won.

Though it does pose an arguement for a fumble BY the intercepting team run back for a score...

But, dem's the rules.

CapnHandi

EOG Addicted
was a minnesota game a few years ago - found this reference
http://www.madjacksports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193365

Best back door cover was in college football Minny a few years ago at home favored by 6' - Their down 3 on their own 10 with 20 sec - the guy throws a hail mary to like the other teams 30 with 2 sec left no time out they run the kicking team out (stop the clock fo r a 1st down) make the kick - head to overtime minny scores a td and an INT on the next play - i was jumping up and down

And then current NCAA rules that spell it out are here:

http://www1.ncaa.org/eprise/main/playingrules/football/2005/index

pags11

EOG Dedicated
just skimmed through all 233 pages of the rule book and looked closely at the overtime section...it said nothing about the ball being dead if the team that scores first interecepts it...it specifically says that a play is not over until it is ruled dead by the referee...so, I'm assuming that a team could essential win by 14, if the game was in triple overtime and the team that scored first made the two point conversion and then had a pick six...

FadeThis1

EOG Member
Game that changed it was ASU over USC many years ago, Plummer was the QB then. ASU won by 13, covering the spread on an INT returned for 6 in OT. ASU player and any others are pure stupid if they try to do any sort of return in that spot, but they are kids who want the glory so what else would you expect? Sort of like the hail mary, the best thing a DB can do is knock the ball straight out of play and end the game, but most try to pick it off if they can. By trying to catch it they open themselves up to having it slip into an opponents hands or having it wrestled away before he fully controls it.

pags11 said:
just skimmed through all 233 pages of the rule book and looked closely at the overtime section...it said nothing about the ball being dead if the team that scores first interecepts it...it specifically says that a play is not over until it is ruled dead by the referee...so, I'm assuming that a team could essential win by 14, if the game was in triple overtime and the team that scored first made the two point conversion and then had a pick six...
this correct.....there has been NO CHANGE IN THE RULE

dirty

EOG Master
The link to the 2005 rulebook was posted and Noone has found anything that says it is a deadball....Not saying you are wrong....But you would think there would be a reference in the NCAA rule book...

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated
The rule was changed a couple of years ago and the last game where it happened was that ASU game that is mentioned earlier in this thread. UCLA did not win an OT game by 13 pts this year. :+signs9-1

kelp0027

EOG Dedicated
anyone who makes an official inquiry to the ncaa about this will probably be banned from all ncaa athletic facilities for being "gambling influence."

lol

gl

:+excited-

Bruno 2

EOG Member
A Team can win by 8 in OT

A Team can win by 8 in OT

In the 3rd OT a team must go for 2 point conversion. Team with ball first in 3rd OT period scores TD then converts 2 point try, opponent fails to score we have a winner by 8 points.:+signs8-1

dirty

EOG Master
Welcome to EOG Brono 2

But the topic was Can a Team Win by more than 8 in college Football OT? :+signs8-1

dirty

EOG Master
Just as I thought....No Rule changes on that front for Over time.....Only rule change ever in OT was the rule you have to go for 2 in the 3rd OT....That was because of the UGA/Auburn 7 OT game in 96'