Can Becky Hammon coach an NBA Team?

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
She's under contract w/ me; she's my X's & O's assistant while I handle In-Running adjustments. We're a package deal.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
Players would listen to Mickey Mouse if the team is winning. To turn around a losing team it would take fire and brimstone motivation.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Becky played with the Liberty in New York.

I couldn't help myself.

The men's and women's games are worlds apart.

She may not even qualify as an NBA shooting coach, let alone a head coach.

Feels like the NBA has an agenda to promote a female head coach, deserving or not.

Wonder if Bill Laimbeer will comment on the situation.

I doubt it.

Scores of current and former WNBA players are employed in front offices across the league.

The Knicks are trying to make up for past sins.

Remember, it was the Knicks organization that harbored Isiah Thomas for more than five years.

During the 2005-06 NBA season, the Knicks had the highest payroll in the NBA and the second-worst record.

That was before Isiah was guilty of verbally abusing/sexually harassing a female employee, forcing the Knicks to settle for $11.5 million in a lawsuit brought by Anucha Browne Sanders.

Last edited:

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Becky played with the Liberty in New York.

I couldn't help myself.

The men's and women's games are worlds apart.

She may not even qualify as an NBA shooting coach, let alone a head coach.

Feels like the NBA has an agenda to promote a female head coach, deserving or not.

Wonder if Bill Laimbeer will comment on the situation.

I doubt it.

Scores of current and former WNBA players are employed in front offices across the league.

The Knicks are trying to make up for past sins.

Remember, it was the Knicks organization that harbored Isiah Thomas for more than five years.

During the 2005-06 NBA season, the Knicks had the highest payroll in the NBA and the second-worst record.

That was before Isiah was guilty of verbally abusing/sexually harassing a female employee, forcing the Knicks to settle for $11.5 million in a lawsuit brought by Anucha Browne Sanders.

Yes or No....can she coach an NBA team in the next couple years?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
A smart career move by Becky Hammon: She did not start by coaching a WNBA team.

She knew the right path in order to make the big dollars in the NBA was to start as an assistant with a forward-thinking organization like the Spurs.

An annual salary of $5 or $6 million is the going rate with guys like Gregg Popovich and Doc Rivers making twice that amount.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I also give her credit for name recognition.

She started her WNBA playing career in New York with the Liberty and ended it with the Stars in San Antonio.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Hammon also deserves credit for improving her craft during a 16-year WNBA playing career.

She went undrafted in the 1999 WNBA Draft but became one of the stars of the league by 2005.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Interestingly, Hammon became a Russian citizen in 2008.

Maybe that's why Popovich likes her so much.

Haha.

kane

EOG master
I think it's only a matter of time before she gets a shot, and the fact that she's an assistant to Pop gives her the type of credibility that she'll need coaching men. I don't think she ends up in NY, she's better off in a more low profile city than having to deal with the NY media, not to mention the Knicks are a shit show. This past offseason the Celtics hired Kara Lawson to be an assistant, eventually a woman will get a shot, just not sure when, but sooner rather than later imo