Can the Packers furlough their GM after Day 1 of the NFL Draft?

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
To trade up for Jordan love.....is the worse move of the draft thus far.

jordan love is horrible.

anybody that watched any utah st games this past season understands this.

dolphins killed it with this move.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
It will be an interesting story to see how arod handles this "replacement" pick since this was almost the same situation when he was drafted.

Favre was extremely cold to rodgers while they were together.

But brett didnt have $103m in guaranteed money to keep him company like a-aron does.

kane

EOG master
If I was Rodgers I would be upset, I'm looking for some help to win now, and the team is worried about the future. I can understand why GB made the move, Rodgers isn't getting any younger, so from the team's perspective it makes sense, hell they did the same exact thing to Favre when they took Rodgers, but if I'm Rodgers, I'm more interested in trying to reach another SB than I am in mentoring a guy that might take my job in a few years. To me the amazing thing is, in all the years Rodgers has been there, not once have the Packers selcted a WR, TE, or RB with their first round pick, they never got him the big time weapon that would have helped him, If I'm Rodgers that bothers me more than what they did last night. How can you have a HOF QB and not one time draft a WR, TE, or RB in the first round to help him

kane

EOG master
To trade up for Jordan love.....is the worse move of the draft thus far.

jordan love is horrible.

anybody that watched any utah st games this past season understands this.

dolphins killed it with this move.

I disagree about Love, I'm not saying he's a franchise QB, but I like him, I like him better than Herbert, I think he has a lot of upside, we'll see

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Rodgers turns 37 in December but he's a young 37 considering he sat behind Favre for three seasons.

No starts and no touchdown passes for Rodgers in the 2005, 2006 and 2007 seasons.

Favre was 35 when Rodgers was drafted.

Heim

EOG Master
I watched most of their games this year...they were right when they said he has a little Mahomes in him. Arm, different angles with velocity, etc...and don't forget Mahomes forced shit a Tech too. But Love's problem is he's indecisive. You can't coach quick decision making. He had a hard time with Mountain West defenses. Packers are enamored with big arms it seems. The UCLA and Notre Dame kids should have taught them a lesson

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
They were torched in the playoffs, so instead of getting some defense help or whatever, they trade up for a guy who is going to sit the bench for the next 3/4 years. I would be pissed if I were Love, he has no shot at playing anytime soon.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
They draft a shittard qb in the 1st rd then proceed to get no weapons on offense for rodgers.

The defense carried the team last yr.

Rodgers sees the writing on the wall.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
If I was Rodgers I would be upset, I'm looking for some help to win now, and the team is worried about the future. I can understand why GB made the move, Rodgers isn't getting any younger, so from the team's perspective it makes sense, hell they did the same exact thing to Favre when they took Rodgers, but if I'm Rodgers, I'm more interested in trying to reach another SB than I am in mentoring a guy that might take my job in a few years. To me the amazing thing is, in all the years Rodgers has been there, not once have the Packers selcted a WR, TE, or RB with their first round pick, they never got him the big time weapon that would have helped him, If I'm Rodgers that bothers me more than what they did last night. How can you have a HOF QB and not one time draft a WR, TE, or RB in the first round to help him
No reason why you can't do both. Aaron should be particularly empathetic to what Love is facing, because of how Favre treated him, and should go out of his way to avoid treating Love the same way. He can only enhance his legacy by mentoring Love, and Love becoming a star because of Rodger's help, and crediting him for it in the future, like Mahomes does with Alex Smith. . You're right about the rest, but a great QB like Aaron has been able to make most any WR's TE's(except Jimmy Graham) and RB's look good, so maybe they figure no need to use premium picks on those positions?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
No reason why you can't do both. Aaron should be particularly empathetic to what Love is facing, because of how Favre treated him, and should go out of his way to avoid treating Love the same way. He can only enhance his legacy by mentoring Love, and Love becoming a star because of Rodger's help, and crediting him for it in the future, like Mahomes does with Alex Smith. . You're right about the rest, but a great QB like Aaron has been able to make most any WR's TE's(except Jimmy Graham) and RB's look good, so maybe they figure no need to use premium picks on those positions?
36 WR's were drafted, they couldn't use one? They just drafted a RB last year, wasted a 2nd rounder on another one. They did need some OL help, it was addressed. With the cap these days, not sure you can afford to babysit a high pick when you need all of the money to work for you.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
36 WR's were drafted, they couldn't use one? They just drafted a RB last year, wasted a 2nd rounder on another one. They did need some OL help, it was addressed.
Their HC wants to duplicate Tenn, since he had success there. More power run reliant. The RB drafted in the 2nd round is an Eddie Lacy/Derrick Henry/Okoye/Barry Word play alike. Yeah, they should have drafted a WR.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Their HC wants to duplicate Tenn, since he had success there. More power run reliant. The RB drafted in the 2nd round is an Eddie Lacy/Derrick Henry/Okoye/Barry Word play alike. Yeah, they should have drafted a WR.
I absolutely hate their draft but I will agree that adding Dillion is a nice compliment to Jones.

The TE in the 3rd round is a complete reach. This was someone they could have got in the 6th round.

I do like that they added some depth to the OL but the big error was not helping the WR core which was a bunch of grocery bag men in pads.

As Fairwarning stated the idea there were 36 WRs taken shows the depth of the draft and to not get in on this is alarming.

Why are you paying a QB $100M guaranteed yet your gameplan is going to be to have him hand off?

But on the other end maybe this is a zig when the league is zagging in that they are going to be a more physical running team instead of a team that throws it 35 times a game.

But the computer nerd stat guys show that passing is a more efficient way of moving the ball.

Plenty of time to dig into this.

Heim

EOG Master
Love has a lot of Mahomes traits nowhere near as accurate. Many passed on Mahomes so now they're looking for the next big thing. Luckily GB won't have to decide anything until Year 3 re all this when AR is 39.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
Pretty classy response from Aaron. Expected nothing less.

Aaron Rodgers says his desire to stay with Packers for entire career 'may not be a reality'

5:05 PM ET

Rob Demovsky
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Aaron Rodgers still wants to finish his career with the Green Bay Packers, but he knows that became more difficult when his team traded up to No. 26 to select his possible replacement, Utah State quarterback Jordan Love, in last month's NFL draft.
Rodgers admitted he was surprised and not "thrilled by the pick, necessarily," but he added, "I understand."
"I think it was more the surprise of the pick, based on my own feelings of wanting to play into my 40s, and really the realization that it does change the controllables a little bit," Rodgers said Friday during a nearly 40-minute conference call. "Because as much as I feel confident in my abilities and what I can accomplish and what we can accomplish, there are some new factors that are out of my control. And so my sincere desire to start and finish with the same organization, just as it has with many other players over the years, may not be a reality at this point.
"And as much as I understand the organization's future outlook and wanting to make sure they're thinking about the team now and down the line -- and I respect that -- at the same time, I still believe in myself and have a strong desire to play into my 40s. And I'm just not sure how that all works together at this point."
Rodgers, 36, is under contract for four more seasons via the $134 million contract extension he signed in August 2018, and on Friday he reiterated his desire to finish out that contract and then perhaps play beyond it.
The Packers could begin to reap salary-cap savings on Rodgers' deal if they moved on after the 2020 season, but it would be small; they would save only $4.76 million on the cap and have $31.556 million in dead money. Rodgers has a cap number of $36.3 million in 2021 and $39.9 million in 2022. After the 2021 season, the Packers would save $22.648 million in salary-cap space by making a move, but would have to count $17.204 million in dead money.
Rodgers sat behind Brett Favre for three years before Favre briefly retired following the 2007 season. By the time Favre expressed a desire to return for the 2008 season, the Packers told him they had moved on to Rodgers and traded Favre to the New York Jets. Favre then finished his career with two seasons for the rival Minnesota Vikings.
Favre said recently that he thought the Love pick meant Rodgers also would finish his career with another team.
"I think what it does is just reinforce kind of the adage that you can only control what you can control," Rodgers said. "It's always been a mantra for myself, but I think any great athlete there's things that are just out of our control. That obviously is something that's very important to me, but I think is definitely telling at this point that is truly something that's out of my control. What I can control is how I play and making that decision at some point a very hard one. You know, if I were to retire in the organization's timetable, then it's an easy decision. But if there comes a time where I feel like I can still play at a high level and my body feels great, you know, then there's other guys that have gone on and played elsewhere."
The Packers went 13-3 and reached the NFC Championship Game last season, despite Rodgers playing below his previous MVP standard. He posted his lowest career Total QBR (50.4) in the regular season and had 10 games with a Total QB under 50 (second most among starting quarterbacks, behind only the Bears' Mitchell Trubisky with 11). In a sign that his mobility and willingness to run have waned, he held the ball for an average of 2.88 seconds (the sixth highest in the NFL last season, according to Next Gen Stats data).
His leadership, however, was key to getting players to buy into new coach Matt LaFleur's system.
"I totally understand where he's coming from," LaFleur said Friday during a conference call shortly after Rodgers spoke. "I think he's very motivated, and he doesn't need external motivation. He's one of the most competitive people I've ever been around. And you guys, you can see that competitiveness every time we step out on that field. So I don't think it's going to drive him any more than if we would've drafted somebody else. I just think that's who he is, that's how he's wired, that's why he's achieved the things that he's done throughout his career."
Rodgers' relationship with Favre was icy at first, although the two later grew close. Favre famously said: "My contract doesn't say I have to get Aaron Rodgers ready to play. Now hopefully he watches me and gets something from that."
Rodgers, however, initiated the first conversation with Love the day after the Packers picked him, and said Love isn't at fault for the situation.
"I've had great relationships over the years with [backups], and I'd expect that same type of relationship with Jordan," Rodgers said. "You know, again, he didn't get asked to be drafted by the Packers.
"He's not to blame at all. He's just coming in excited about his opportunity. We had a great conversation the day after the draft, and I'm excited to work with him. He seems like a really good kid with a good head on his shoulders. Similar story, not heavily recruited out of college. Kind of made his way at Utah State and we've had some great conversations."

I would have bet no amount of anyone else's money that Green Bay would've scored 40+ points to start the season. As someone who grew up in the shadows of Lambeau Field I sit stunned watching this offense. Never saw this coming. Still tempering my optimism as the Vikings and Lions are not good.

mr merlin

EOG Master
I would have bet no amount of anyone else's money that Green Bay would've scored 40+ points to start the season. As someone who grew up in the shadows of Lambeau Field I sit stunned watching this offense. Never saw this coming. Still tempering my optimism as the Vikings and Lions are not good.
You're a hard guy to please, 2 games, 2 blowouts and that's not good enough?