Cards Jack Flaherty

lap18

EOG Dedicated
Flaherty having quite a second half..... .076 ERA after All Star Break.
Stl has taken the division over and the Cubs are in danger of losing the WC spot.
Cards 4.5 game lead after today.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Gammons then presented comments he’d picked up from baseball people on the Arizona spring-training circuit:

♦ From a National League GM: “If I bet, which I do not, I’d go to Vegas and put money down on Jack Flaherty to win the Cy Young.”

♦ From an NL assistant GM: “Flaherty has the best stuff in the National League.”

♦ From an NL manager: “Flaherty is Zack Greinke with filthy stuff. What did he have, a 30 percent strikeout rate in his first full season? That’ll get better, a lot better.”

Source: Bernie Miklasz

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
Gammons then presented comments he’d picked up from baseball people on the Arizona spring-training circuit:

♦ From a National League GM: “If I bet, which I do not, I’d go to Vegas and put money down on Jack Flaherty to win the Cy Young.”

♦ From an NL assistant GM: “Flaherty has the best stuff in the National League.”

♦ From an NL manager: “Flaherty is Zack Greinke with filthy stuff. What did he have, a 30 percent strikeout rate in his first full season? That’ll get better, a lot better.”

Source: Bernie Miklasz

Unfortunately, Gammons comments were widely distributed before the season started and Flaherty's opening odds for the Cy Young were pounded down to "unbetable" in my view. His relatively nondescript 1st half will most likely do in his Cy Young chances.

He has personally sought out Bob Gibson in spring training, seeking advice (most of the Cardinals' HOFers are there at some point in time during spring training) from the greatest pitcher in Cardinals history, because Flaherty wants to be great. (Not speculation.)

I think Flaherty's doing his best to channel his mentor's 1968 season in the 2nd half of this season, ever since Gibson announced he has pancreatic cancer (about the time of the All-Star break). Just fun speculation on my part in regards to channeling his mentor.

Last edited: