Celtics/Lakers who wins it?

Re: Celtics/Lakers who wins it?

No one guards Kobe anyways, if you want to beat them you don't overdo it trying to stop him. If he scores 40 chances are he isn't getting enough help from the rest of the team. Pretty even when it comes down to it and the price doesn't offer much value. I think it will be a good zig zag series to bet, I can't see either team taking control in consecutive games. The team which ends up playing better defense and controlling the boards will win it.

rjt721

EOG Master

Gasol is going to be downright dominated, I really think that's going to be ugly
I think this argument is a bit overstated. Gasol's main problem with Duncan was Tim's strength and ability to get great post position. Garnett doesn't possess the same strength advantage over Pau. KG's doesn't have nearly the same repertoire of low-post moves as Duncan. Gasol's length actually gave Duncan some problems on occasion, although the results were a little skewed considering the Lakers often sent a double team at Duncan. I'm not sure the Lakers will be forced to double KG. It's just not in Garnett's nature to dominate offensively. However, the Celtics biggest advantage in this series is that Garnett will dominate the boards -- he will get every rebound over Gasol. The first thing I'm looking for when props become available for Game 1 is Garnett rebounds Over (will probably be set at 10.5). Easy money... KG will average 15+ rebs/game in this series.

Another problem for the Celtics is who guards Odom. Ideally, Boston would love to put Garnett on Gasol (which would be a nightmare for Pau), but I don't think you can do that because Ray Allen can't guard Odom to save his life. Lamar will take him in the post and abuse him. That leaves them with putting KG on Lamar and Perkins on Gasol, which is a great matchup for Pau. Perkins isn't quick enough to stay with Gasol and Perk goes for every pump fake. Gasol will score on Perkins at will.

The Laker that's assigned to guard Rondo can play off him and helo double whomever is hurting them, be it Pierce, KG or Allen.

Awful matchup for the Celtics. Mismatches all over the floor in LAL's favor.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

my hearts with boston.i'll be rooting for the celtics.i'm wondering if any of the former players from the 80's duels will be attending any games....

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Some of you guys ought to not post here as much and actually watch the games. I'm surprised that no one here watches. Well, some of you watch, the others, i'm not sure what you guys are doing while these games have been on tv....are you watching old reruns of M.A.S.H.?

HotShotHarvey

EOG Veteran

Celtics play better defense,have beaten the Lakers this year, have better rebounding, and have a deeper bench. After Gasol goes out with early foul trouble, the Laker scoring grinds down to Boston-style hoops. Sorry ,Jack Nicholson-Seattle Slew had it right-Celts this year-Lakers next year-when Andrew Bynum is healthy and back!! In closing, who covers garnett---Kareem???

Apple

Banned

Boston has absolutely no one who can guard Kobe. Posey's a pretty good defender, but he's basically a 20 min./game guy off the bench. Tony Allen's their best perimeter defender, but Doc Rivers is an idiot, so Tony probably won't even play. That leaves them with having Pierce guarding Kobe for the majority of the game (unless Doc's foolish enough to put Ray Allen on him at times, which would get ugly). That's just asking too much out of Pierce. They need his offense to beat the Lakers, and he won't be effective enough on that end if he's exerting much of his energy checking Kobe. As you saw in the Cleveland series, Pierce's offense suffered dramatically (not including Game 7) because he had to guard Lebron. The Celtics got away with it against the Cavs because Lebron didn't have any help, but they can't beat a team with the Lakers' firepower without Pierce averaging 25-30/game.

Gasol's obviously very soft and he can't score on Duncan. He won't have an easier time scoring on Garnett, but the Lakers don't really need him to score to win. He actually did a decent job guarding Duncan much of the series, and Garnett's not anywhere near the low-post scorer that Tim is. Garnett could conceivably dominate Gasol with his athleticism, but it's not in his nature to be aggressive enough to do so.

I just don't see how the Celtics can score enough to win this series. After guarding Iverson, Deron Williams and Tony Parker the previous three series, Fisher won't have to work nearly as much on the defensive end against Rondo, who has no perimeter shot at all. You play a few feet off of Rondo and you can completely take away his offense, as he can't make a jumper to save his life. You need a PG who poses a threat in the pick and roll game to beat the Lakers, similar to what Utah and SA have. The Celtics just don't have that. Also a huge edge on the bench for the Lakers, not to mention the immense coaching advantage with Phil over Doc.

Including the playoffs, the Lakers are 34-7 with Gasol in the lineup with a +10.3 point differential. This is by far the best team in the league. The 2-3-2 format is in many ways beneficial to LA -- If the Lakers get a split in the first 2 games in Boston, which is pretty likely, there's a good chance this series doesn't even get back to Boston for Game 6.

Lakers in 5.

In the two games vs Celtics this season

Kobe shot for a combined 32% and didn't score more than 28pts.. I think it's worth mentioning that Gasol was not on the team at the time..

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

The right people for LA have been here before. Lakers in 6. Better get them this year Boston cause it will be your only chance for quite sometime.

HotShotHarvey

EOG Veteran

Celts at +140 is a steal! They beat the Lakers both times they played,they are at home for 4 games,noone on Lakers can cover Garnett, Fisher will get run off the court by Rondo, who will cover Allen?, etc etc. Even if Kobe goes off, The Lakers lose! In closing, the Lakers' bench is a fraud,while the Celts have a great bunch on the bench!!

Last edited:

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

So if everyone liked Celts to win series at +1.40, how is +1.80 looking? Did you already get +1.40? Should have waited? Interesting.

OF...:+clueless

Bet_Jester

EOG Enthusiast

Simply put, the Lakers have been dominate in the playoffs and more so since they got Gasol. I think they are something like 38-8 since Gasol joined the team.