Could a subscription-based forum actually work??

I see that another forum is coming up with a "PPV Section" for serious discussion and I guess expert analysis.

Can't really see how it can be worth it for a forum to charge the readers to read their content (or any other website for that matter, unless they were offering a bunch of goodies for subscription)

I'm sure many of the die-hard regulars would sign up simply to support the forum, but with all the free info out there it wouldn't make sense to me to alienate a good percentage of the posting body for what can't be too much of a profit.

Personally, when I see a website that charges "for the good stuff" I'll go elsewhere for my research and info

I can understand paying for a line service if you're a pro or even semi-pro gambler or paying for the best stock advice if you're heavily vested in the market, but for the casual bettor like myself, it would be a waste of money imo

YOUR THOUGHTS?????

Re: Could a subscription-based forum actually work??

I'd say it can work but depends on the value of the information in the PPV section.

sl55

EOG Veteran

I think I will look at it if it's cheap which it should be or it will be dead.Who knows,there is a few sharp guys there and lets see who he brings in,I doubt seriously that there is any long term contract involved.

Just want to add that this is not intended IN ANY WAY as BASHING, really want honest opinions about this

It was something I considered (not too seriously) at a forum I use to run, but I really didn't think it could work or be beneficial longterm

This was during the time all the UIGEA shit was hitting the fan and we really needed to find a new revenue stream

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

Although I do believe the sportsbetting industry is going to get better as time goes on, I often wonder if times got tough & relationships with offshore books became more distant, causing financial difficulties in keeping forums like eog up & running, and the thousands of us who love this "hobby" so much, and the information, advice, tips, and stories we all share here were in jeapordy, if the majority of us would be willing to pay a small fee monthly or yearly in keeping it alive.

I know I would be willing......

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

Check out freewiners.com.com. wise guy Rooms for many years now. It can add profits if done properly, but it was something I did not like when a poster there and I never joined. It was more of a help the site kind of deal. To your specific question, yes it could work to an extent. It depends on what the owners mission statement is about.

IGAMBLER

EOG Addicted

I have a problem with the concept of paying. Why should we be paying, when it is us, the posters, who create the content?

Agree with what Hache and General's answers as to it being a small fee monthly "to help out the forum" in rough financial times like the offshore gambling world has been facing for the past year and a half.

And General brings up a good point about "how it's presented to the posting body". I believe they would be more open to it if the owner says something like "times are tough and this is an alternative we are trying" instead of accepting any more questionable books

"We want to be more of a watchdog, but in the current environment, it's not financially feasable, blah blah blah.... So, we'd appreciate if you'd sign up for a small free for month to access "this paticular forum category" to help keep the company above water

I know this sounds a bit too Pat Robertson/700 Club like, but you guys get the idea :LMAO. I believe the regulars would embrace it for the common good

But, they will reject it if you approach it in a different way and make it sound the subscription part of the site is going to lead the poster to all the riches in the world. Posters are smart and they don't take too kindly to forum owners and moderators insulting their intelligence IMO

pvcpipe

EOG Master

I'd pay a nominal charge for a ppv forum if it had guys like buffet.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

Only if and when online gambling becomes 100% legal, would it work IMHO.

hawkfan

EOG Enthusiast

Some of the best posters at EOG have different picks on the same game. It would be tough to have a PPV section when the people posting are posting both sides.

roach23

Banned

I'd post elsewhere. Gambling forums are a dime a dozen.

I don't really care all that much what anyone else picks or does to make their selections. I am sure there are some degenerates that would actually pay to post at gambling forums, but that is one tax I don't need in my life. Internet gambling forums should be free, and any "information" worth a tax isn't something you'd want to share in the first place.

The Devil

EOG Master

i doubt it would work........Ken would have to get the money up front as we know there are people who don't pay here...............

Makers

EOG Enthusiast

Interesting topic as I have been involved with both types of forums. One supported by offshore $$'s and another by subscription (PPV). Initially the monies derived from offshore made it worthwhile though unlike EOG and The Rx not the type of dollars that had me contemplating an early retirement. LOL

I'm sure many of the die-hard regulars would sign up simply to support the forum, but with all the free info out there it wouldn't make sense to me to alienate a good percentage of the posting body for what can't be too much of a profit.

Ego's comments pretty well sums up my situation, the possible consequences far outweighed the revenue derived from the banners therefore in order to keep the forum afloat there was only one path and the majority of the long time members agreed.

The second part of your comment is right on also, considering the amount of time and effort involved one shouldn't be overly optimistic about turning a profit!

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Unless you had a special section for TFZ, no way that would work. Wait...

Best Wishes...OF :doh1

Too many sites for free ifo/insight...not enough mass for pay forum...just my two cents.

Go Tigers..as in Memphis Tigers!!!!!!:houra

To many free forums dont think a paying forum would ever work.

Bagiant

EOG Dedicated

Phoenix Sports Ticket tried it two years ago and it didn't work. Lost a lot of good contributors.

Richkas

EOG Veteran

Phoenix Sports Ticket tried it two years ago and it didn't work. Lost a lot of good contributors.

Yeah but we got culver,fezz,cokin, the great follower and whatever it is the devil does. Also mod agents. Hell it might work.

I think it would be too dead, like many forums out there now. People won't want to pay.

Everyone who runs any business online can tell you a very simple rule to think about here: The market between content that requires no payment versus content that costs one cent is night and day. Paid content is about 1-2% of the market as the free content crowd.

So how could you take something with just decent traffic and often not so good traffic and charge for it? Its crazy, no way in hell would I say its a quality idea. I mean step back for a minute and think about it, I have to pay to read and post opinions? Does that make any sense???

Why does this red herring idea get raised periodically about a "paid subscription" site or section where somehow if you "pay," you will now be immersed in the "serious" secret handicapping information that will transform you into 'SuperGambler?"

What exactly do you think new is going to be "revealed" if you send in money to any sports gambling site?.

I think the only thing Id pay for is JJgold videos those are the best thing going today.

Everything else you can get at any forum, no different then newspapers they all print the same news.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Everyone who runs any business online can tell you a very simple rule to think about here: The market between content that requires no payment versus content that costs one cent is night and day. Paid content is about 1-2% of the market as the free content crowd.

So how could you take something with just decent traffic and often not so good traffic and charge for it? Its crazy, no way in hell would I say its a quality idea. I mean step back for a minute and think about it, I have to pay to read and post opinions? Does that make any sense???

exactly.

But according to dmmd98 'it is a money making forum, where they make money' :rolleyes: without Youtube and OT posts that you don't have to worry about getting in the way of the money making topics...just straight to the pot of gold.:rolleyes:

Because afterall they don't want to read about anything else :LMAO :LMAO

OGD starting a PPV section :+textinb3 :+textinb3 :+textinb3 :+textinb3 :+textinb3
Peep
Reagan
Homedog
Dmmd
Info we all must have and pay for.

Maybe they can get Andrew to give speeches about the pitfalls of online love affairs while being married in the real world, I know I'd pay for that. :finger004

That is why SBR is blowing everyone away now

They are giving stuff away that other forums cannot afford to give away

Line service is worth about 300 a month and it is free

Most forums are dead and paying for it will make it close in 1 month

lol

JJ,

Name me ONE poster who visits a forum regularly just for a free line service?

You can't....

The last time I checked, the guy running SBR's forum had been banned from here, was busted for having ghosts talking to himself and was giving you orders...:LMAO

TheRx is still flourishing...

EOG isn't too shabby either...

MW looks dead, I will give you that...

THE SHRINK

Mofo and Co really have you whipped over there JJ

You're one of my all-time favorite posters, but you are really becoming a shell of your former self sir

SBR blowing everyone away????? :LMAO

I hate it when I see "JJ" and I think Shrtink is talking to me.

But then I see it's JJGold, and I understand.

Journeyman

EOG Master

I hope JJ is playing dumb ...

I've heard of taking one for the team but damn, he is batting ninth behind women in that lineup of nobody posters.

JJ is currently batting 9th (.075 BA, 1 RBI , 112 AB)

I left out the pathetic part..

JJ gets paid by them to act this way...:rolleyes:

Funny that you don't see OUR main posters over at SBR touting EOG in their MAIN FORUM

Why is that??? :+clueless