David Stern Dead At 77

Heim

EOG Master
Unprecedented growth for NBA during his 30 year tenure....remember Finals were on tape delay before he took over.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated
Brilliant. I thought he had a great sense of humor, but tough as nails. Did a great job lifting the NBA. Kinda feared this was coming. RIP.

Heim

EOG Master
Brilliant. I thought he had a great sense of humor, but tough as nails. Did a great job lifting the NBA. Kinda feared this was coming. RIP.

He was smart enough to realize it was a entertainment business similar to the movie industry....so you highlight the stars.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
His contributions and positive decisions for the growth of the league outnumbered the few mistakes he made....players got rich during his years as Commish....

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Stern was a piece of garbage, let Donaghy run wild, even fixing playoff games. Rigged results.

Allows a buyer from OKC to move the SuperSonic franchise even after he promised to stay in Seattle.

Did nothing to promote widened legalized sports betting. Had the NBA join every lawsuit against Delaware and New Jersey.

Then leaves the NBA to his protegee Adam Silver, et al, who obediently do the NBA's Chinese masters' biding in refusing to support the rights of Hong Kong freedom protesters. Even rebuke those in the NBA who do.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
David Stern also green-lighted the Women's National Basketball Association.

Another Stern move once panned by ComptrBob.

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
Stern was a piece of garbage, let Donaghy run wild, even fixing playoff games. Rigged results.

Allows a buyer from OKC to move the SuperSonic franchise even after he promised to stay in Seattle.

Did nothing to promote widened legalized sports betting. Had the NBA join every lawsuit against Delaware and New Jersey.

Then leaves the NBA to his protegee Adam Silver, et al, who obediently do the NBA's Chinese masters' biding in refusing to support the rights of Hong Kong freedom protesters. Even rebuke those in the NBA who do.

Yup. And he fucked the Suns out of a trip to the Finals and an NBA title. When 2 guys took 2 steps onto the floor during a fight. 2 steps. Then got held back.

His smug comments to defend the decision were even worse. Fuck him. But RIP. I guess.

MrTop

EOG Master

while in office he was against it... years later he wanted it... then silver did a 180 degree turn .. …..this was all planned with the owners when the technology advanced.

Stern was part of the Former NBA Commissioner David Stern Calls For Legal US Sports Betting At Vegas Gaming Conference

https://www.legalsportsreport.com/11695/former-nba-commissioner-david-stern/

ComptrBob

EOG Master
while in office he was against it... years later he wanted it... then silver did a 180 degree turn .. …..this was all planned with the owners when the technology advanced.

Stern was part of the Former NBA Commissioner David Stern Calls For Legal US Sports Betting At Vegas Gaming Conference

https://www.legalsportsreport.com/11695/former-nba-commissioner-david-stern/

Just shows what a fucking douchebag the guy was. Fights tooth and nail against state structures that would be just like Nevada when he had power. Then when he's a nobody, he wanted to wait years for some federal system to be instituted. Seems Nevada has done a pretty good job over 80 years, why not let the states decide how and when they want to enable it?

From the article: So how exactly Stern’s vision of a federal framework would come to fruition is unclear.

Last edited:

MrTop

EOG Master
Just shows what a fucking douchebag the guy was. Fights tooth and nail against state structures that would be just like Nevada when he had power. Then when he's a nobody, he wanted to wait years for some federal system to be instituted. Seems Nevada has done a pretty good job over 80 years, why not let the states decide how and when they want enable it?

From the article: So how exactly Stern’s vision of a federal framework would come to fruition is unclear.

agree but how would they divide up the taxes 100 % ? the bettors would be calling out of state.... can you think of a way ?

MrTop

EOG Master
GPS was out many years in the military way before the GPS tom tom and cell phone. The leagues needed GPS to track the bettor & cut up the taxes

ComptrBob

EOG Master
There has been a federal sports betting tax on the handle for about 50 years.

Yeah, if politicians weren't such assholes like Bill Bradley and Orrin Hatch, the feds would just repeal UIGEA and the Wire act. Then betting would be just like buying something over Amazon, do you really care what state it comes from? Amazon seamlessly figures out the tax, so would William Hill, DraftKings, MGM, etc.

Last edited:

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
Yup. And he fucked the Suns out of a trip to the Finals and an NBA title. When 2 guys took 2 steps onto the floor during a fight. 2 steps. Then got held back.

His smug comments to defend the decision were even worse. Fuck him. But RIP. I guess.

I’m with Sol Diablo here.
That’s the first thing I think of when his name pops up like today.
That ruling against Stoudimare was SOOOOOOO unfair. And as I recall, it wasn’t a clearcut ruling either, there were reasons within the rules to not suspend him. It was incredibly unfair and so lacking in common sense.
I soured on the NBA after that, and still don’t follow it closely to this day.

MrTop

EOG Master
There has been a federal sports betting tax on the handle for about 50 years.

Yeah, if politicians weren't such assholes like Bill Bradley and Orrin Hatch, the feds would just repeal UIGEA and the Wire act. Then betting would be just like buying something over Amazon, do you really care what state it comes from? Amazon seamlessly figures out the tax, so would William Hill, DraftKings, MGM, etc.

YES..agree . Federal is easy, but the states want their cut too in sports betting... NJ does not want to make it 50/50 with a smaller state when it comes to state taxes.... Amazon cuts deals with every state to cut the states taxes. If a warehouse by amazon goes in New jersey... their state taxes gets lowered cause they are putting people to work from NJ

ComptrBob

EOG Master
YES..agree . Federal is easy, but the states want their cut too in sports betting... NJ does not want to make it 50/50 with a smaller state when it comes to state taxes.... Amazon cuts deals with every state to cut the states taxes. If a warehouse by amazon goes in New jersey... their state taxes gets lowered cause they are putting people to work from NJ

The beauty of state choice is I don't bet in high tax state like NJ or Rhode Island. I don't give a fuck what NJ or RI "wants". I'll give my business to the best line in the best book.

MrTop

EOG Master
The beauty of state choice is I don't bet in high tax state like NJ or Rhode Island. I don't give a fuck what NJ or RI "wants". I'll give my business to the best line in the best book.

you are better off where you are . NJ does not have many independent books. Nevada blows it away. Nevada has quicker openers too. However NJ does have better off numbers when the line has been established. If Nevada get draftkings and or fan duel you would have the best of both worlds. I expect one or both to enter nevada market down the road.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Jordan came into the league in 1984, the same year Stern took over. Ya think he might have had something to do about the revenue increase?

Stern was promoting Magic versus Larry before MJ "arrived."

The Bulls did not win a title until the 1990's.

Stern also promoted Kobe and Shaq, LeBron James and Steph Curry after MJ left.

Hmmm...

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
If there were never a Michael Jordan, I think Kobe Bryant would have been played the "MJ" role.

MJ Light.

Additionally, the incompetence of commissioners in other sports makes Stern look better by comparison.

MrTop

EOG Master
phil jackson said the difference between MJ and Kobe was that MJ had bigger hands which made him direct the ball better when dribbling etc

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Stern was promoting Magic versus Larry before MJ "arrived."

The Bulls did not win a title until the 1990's.

Stern also promoted Kobe and Shaq, LeBron James and Steph Curry after MJ left.

Hmmm...

Magic and Bird came into the league in 1980 and their rivalry began in the NCAA finals of 1979. Stern became commissioner in Feb 1984, and the Lakers/Celtics were meeting in the 1983-84 Finals, in those 4 months he might have hyped it, but he didn't create anything. Any moron could hype the series, it was already created by Magic and Bird themselves. Stern basically lucked out as it became such an iconic set of series.

Stern's tenure from 1984 to 2014 spanned MJ's entire career. Much of the revenue gains over the mid 80's to late 90's were due to MJ. MJ made the playoffs every year from 1984 to 1998 except the year he played baseball. I guess scumbags can make money, point taken.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
phil jackson said the difference between MJ and Kobe was that MJ had bigger hands which made him direct the ball better when dribbling etc

Better defender too.

But I've always thought MJ and Kobe were a lot alike.

Michael obviously paved the way for a guy like Kobe.

I know Michael is loved worldwide but Kobe has quite a following too.

railbird

EOG Master
great post Bob, i thoguht the exact thing with celtics-lakers. bi costal series, east vs west,, black vs white, magic vs bird. Stern only ruined the nba by not letting them play physical after 94ish. Stern- a fly on secretariat ass. Screwed over Sonics and seattle people, screwed over Pelicans with trade veto on paul. ran interference with refs placating Lakers playoff games 2000-2002.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Magic and Bird came into the league in 1980 and their rivalry began in the NCAA finals of 1979. Stern became commissioner in Feb 1984, and the Lakers/Celtics were meeting in the 1983-84 Finals, in those 4 months he might have hyped it, but he didn't create anything. Any moron could hype the series, it was already created by Magic and Bird themselves. Stern basically lucked out as it became such an iconic set of series.

Stern's tenure from 1984 to 2014 spanned MJ's entire career. Much of the revenue gains over the mid 80's to late 90's were due to MJ. MJ made the playoffs every year from 1984 to 1998 except the year he played baseball. I guess scumbags can make money, point taken.

One of Stern's biggest contributions to the NBA came in the late 1970's when, as General Counsel to the league, he spearheaded the effort to administer drug tests to NBA players.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Stern also assumed the role of executive vice president for business and legal affairs in 1980.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
It's no surprise Kobe modeled his game after MJ's.

Both had memorable fadeaway jumpers.

Jordan was most everyone's favorite while Kobe played the role of villain in many NBA cities.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Stern's association with the NBA started in 1966, according to a story in The Washington Post.