Derrick Rose

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows
Re: Derrick Rose

Brandon Jennings, who had been playing well, hit just 2-of-6 shots for four points, zero rebounds, two assists, a steal and three turnovers in Saturday's loss to Derrick Rose and the Bulls.
There are no reports of an injury and he played 28 minutes, so let's just chalk this one up to a case of 'Rose-itis.' Feb. 27 - 12:49 am et

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

By discovering a Jordanesque killer - 03.07.11 - SI Vault

Great SI feature piece on Rose - worth a read. Discusses how he built the love for winning and the unbelievable drive to be the greatest of all-time by watching the greatest of all-time. talks about how the NBA is holding onto guys like him and Durant in hopes that the old school mentality of winning first, me second, stays in the league.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Rose assumed a curious role in the proceedings. While other stars acted like college boosters courting the ultimate blue-chipper, Rose's recruiting effort consisted of one text message, sent mainly for damage control. Rose remembers texting James, I'm just hitting you up to kill all the rumors that I don't want to play with you. I'd like to play with you. I just want to win.
The message was vintage Rose, honest and understated, while his peers were over the top. James expressed his appreciation in a text, but on July 8 he joined Dwyane Wade and Bosh in Miami. The Heat's new threesome was portrayed as the product of the AAU culture, with its stacked rosters and superteams, but Rose came from the same system and took a vastly different lesson from the experience. "He always told me he didn't want to be on one of those stacked teams," says Reggie, who coached his younger brother's AAU club, the Mean Streets Express. "He wanted to be with an underdog."

Read more: By discovering a Jordanesque killer - 03.07.11 - SI Vault

This could come back to bite him in the ass - or he could be that damn good, only time will tell.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Rose now -250 to win the MVP this season. Crazy to think some people don't think he's even close to as good as Lebron or Wade. Tough to be the NBA MVP while not being close to two other players in the league.

My 22-1 on him to win the MVP is looking mighty nice right now.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

"MVP of the season," Jordan said about Rose after the Bulls' 101-84 win over his Charlotte Bobcats on Wednesday night. "He deserves it. He's playing that well. He deserves it. Without a doubt. And if he doesn't get it, now he'll see how I felt a lot of years."

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

If he gets the award, I would expect at least a final showing in the Eastern conference against whoever....btw, when is the MVP announced?

High Times

EOG Master

And to go further

I would take Westbrook over Rose right now and for the future too!

That dude is great!

tripp

EOG Master

Rose now -250 to win the MVP this season. Crazy to think some people don't think he's even close to as good as Lebron or Wade. Tough to be the NBA MVP while not being close to two other players in the league.

My 22-1 on him to win the MVP is looking mighty nice right now.
I wouldn't take Rose over Lebron or Wade, but obviously I'd agree Rose is a special player and one of the elites in the game as he's proven this year.

I do disagree with your "tough to be NBA MVP while not being close to two other players" comment though. Nash not only won MVP, he won back to back MVPs. At his very best Nash was never close to Lebron, Kobe, Wade etc. Not close. Love Nash, great offensive PG, but he was never even in the same sentence as the elite guys and he won the award more times in two years than Kobe has in his career.

The award goes more so to the best player on one of the teams with the most wins. Lebron would win the award for sure again this year if his team won as often as Cleveland did the past two years. They didn't though and Chicago was the shock team of the year with Rose playing phenomenal ball so he will get the award and I can't argue with that.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

So who is the MVP to you then since you have said Lebron stinks also, and those are the only two in the running for the award.
He only believes big guys should win the MVP. It's tough to take his opinion about anyone under 6'10 seriously because he doesn't think MJ is a top 10 player of all-time.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I wouldn't take Rose over Lebron or Wade, but obviously I'd agree Rose is a special player and one of the elites in the game as he's proven this year.

I do disagree with your "tough to be NBA MVP while not being close to two other players" comment though. Nash not only won MVP, he won back to back MVPs. At his very best Nash was never close to Lebron, Kobe, Wade etc. Not close. Love Nash, great offensive PG, but he was never even in the same sentence as the elite guys and he won the award more times in two years than Kobe has in his career.

The award goes more so to the best player on one of the teams with the most wins. Lebron would win the award for sure again this year if his team won as often as Cleveland did the past two years. They didn't though and Chicago was the shock team of the year with Rose playing phenomenal ball so he will get the award and I can't argue with that.

Comparing Nash to Rose is funnies. Rose is 22 years old, and would be the youngest winner of the award. He would be further along in his career at 22 than Wade and Lebron. Bron and Wade have certainly proven more over their careers, but Rose has played as well as them this year and is only 22 years old. Nash won being a distributor during the years in which the league hated Kobe - Rose is winning with his scoring and athleticism.

High Times

EOG Master

First of all I don't like these MVP awards because there is really a lot of MVPs in the NBA and any other league for that matter.

But it is FIRST a popularity award and some times it is the right choice, but even then other players are just as important for their teams.

Here's some guys who never get any votes.

LaMarcus Aldridge of the Trail-Blazers. As important a player as any team has right now.

Tony Parker

Westbrook/Durant

Pau Gasol - Fuck Kobe if the Lakers never get Gasol they never win the last 2 NBA championship. It's that simple!

Nash is still great and makes everyone around him better MORE than any other NBA player!

Rondo/Pierce - both force the Celtics to keep winning.

Howard - the best overall player in the NBA today

All these guys are MVP's

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Howard the best overall player in the NBA today is funnies. The guy can't be in the game the final 3 minutes if it's close but he's the best. :yay

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Sorry I never drank the coolade you all drink
It has nothing to do with Koolaid bud. Please don't ruin my D-Rose thread with your garbage, please. Thanks in advance. I like having discussions with you on most things, but your views on Big Men in basketball being the top 10 players of all-time is just too far out there for me.

High Times

EOG Master

It has nothing to do with Koolaid bud. Please don't ruin my D-Rose thread with your garbage, please. Thanks in advance. I like having discussions with you on most things, but your views on Big Men in basketball being the top 10 players of all-time is just too far out there for me.

That's why they (big men) will always be the #1 picks in the NBA draft whenever 1 is coming out.

Hell they even took Oden over Kevin Durant hoping Oden was going to be "the next GREAT PLAYER that can dominate a game.

You claim I don't know things, but my opinion is based on FACT.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Classic MJ, I love that guy.
Thought the same thing when I read it. I would guess you're referring to the "now he'll see how I felt a lot of years." jaja Mike always turning it into a story about him - that's why he's the greatest.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Yeah, I was referring to that. I loved how in his Hall of Fame acceptance speech he was still calling people out. I'm sure he thinks he should have won it every year - and he probably should have.

High Times

EOG Master

It's also why the Lakers instantly became the best team in the NBA when they got Gasol. Kobes great, but WITHOUT a big man he doesn't ever win.

It's also the reason the Heat are having trouble because they have NO good big men. Bosh plays like a little girl and is a no factor.

And even the Bulls went out and got Boozer (underated) to go with Noah (completely underated) and are now a force.

Garnett and Perkins made the Celtics a force.

You can have all the 6' 8" stars you want but without at least 1 great big man or 2 very good big men you will never win.

For you or anybody to IGNORE the facts just so "you all" (and ESPN/the Media) can claim your heros are the best players is a joke.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Boozer has been bad and he plays no defense. The guy has been non-existent for the past 3 weeks - if you don't believe me go look at his #'s and add in the fact that he's the worst interior defender I've ever seen.

You think Noah or Boozer are more valuable to the Bulls than Rose? :LMAO HT, I asked you nicely not to ruin my thread with your bullshit man. Please can you just stop? Derrick Rose is the reason the Bulls are a force, not Noah and Boozer - they are just pieces to the puzzle that is centered around Rose. Please, please, please stop bringing this stuff in the thread and ruining it. We've already had this discussion so why do you need to come into this thread and repeat yourself? I know Tim's opinion on Rose and the MVP, so he doesn't come in and repeat it over and over again.

High Times

EOG Master

Boozer has been bad and he plays no defense. The guy has been non-existent for the past 3 weeks - if you don't believe me go look at his #'s and add in the fact that he's the worst interior defender I've ever seen.

You think Noah or Boozer are more valuable to the Bulls than Rose? :LMAO HT, I asked you nicely not to ruin my thread with your bullshit man. Please can you just stop? Derrick Rose is the reason the Bulls are a force, not Noah and Boozer - they are just pieces to the puzzle that is centered around Rose. Please, please, please stop bringing this stuff in the thread and ruining it. We've already had this discussion so why do you need to come into this thread and repeat yourself? I know Tim's opinion on Rose and the MVP, so he doesn't come in and repeat it over and over again.

Never said they were more valuable

But without them the Bulls are not where they are whether or not you want to admit that is your problem.

Why did the Blazers take Oden over Durant?

Because the most important players on a basketball team are the big men!

DUH

Never said they were more valuable

But without them the Bulls are not where they are whether or not you want to admit that is your problem.

Why did the Blazers take Oden over Durant?

Because the most important players on a basketball team are the big men!

DUH

Because they were idiots? How did that turn out for them? Having a good big man is important and I agree to a degree with you about Howard, he's been a real badass this year. However, most NBA teams currently don't even have great true centers anymore.

BTW-From what I have seen of Rose this year he's been great. I don;t have any issues with him winning MVP but I think it should be close there's lots of good NBA players.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

He has been on the bench most of the 1/2 with foul trouble. All that matters is the 2nd half in this game - thought the line was too big.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

A lot of threes from him tonight, and despite a bad shooting % he has 28 points on 19 shots which is far from poor.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

When Boozer is coming back?? With him healthy they can easily catch Boston
Out for 3-4 games probably. To be honest, this team is just as good in the Regular Season w/o him because Taj is a much better defender and capable on offense. In the playoffs they need his consistent post scoring and his threat but they have played just as well w/o him.