did they change ot rules?

railbird

EOG Master
college football,? use to be team that started would get it 1st and 4th possesion if neccessary, now its 1st and 3rd possession

railbird

EOG Master
i knew the start of 3rd ot its only 2pt attempts. didnt know 2nd ot was an unfair advantage of them not flipping the 1st ot possession order

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
I thought too that Colorado St would get the ball first in the 3rd ot after each team scored a TD and PAT. No mention by announcers if rules changed or not.

Would have loved to see C St go for the win.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
i thought they got it 1st in 2nd ot

Yes, usually the team that wins the coin toss elects to go 2nd so they know exactly what they need to do.

I haven't checked the rules lately, but I think the winner of the coin flip gets the option of 1st possession or goal to defend (and second possession). Then the loser of the coin flip gets the possession option for the 2OT period, and the option alternates going forward. Thus Colorado could go 1st in both OT periods.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Yes, usually the team that wins the coin toss elects to go 2nd so they know exactly what they need to do.

I haven't checked the rules lately, but I think the winner of the coin flip gets the option of 1st possession or goal to defend (and second possession). Then the loser of the coin flip gets the possession option for the 2OT period, and the option alternates going forward. Thus Colorado could go 1st in both OT periods.
But I think they won the coin toss and didn't defer in the first OT. I thought they didn't flip again since in the second OT they have to go for 2 after TD's anyway.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
But I think they won the coin toss and didn't defer in the first OT. I thought they didn't flip again since in the second OT they have to go for 2 after TD's anyway.

Colorado won the toss and took the first possession in OT1. They never flip again, so Colorado State got the choice for OT2 and chose to go 2nd. Applies to all OTs independent of going for 2, or only a 2 pt try in OT3 and beyond.