Donovan McNabb: HOF or not?

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
McNabb still stumping: 'I am a Hall of Famer'
ESPN.com

Former NFL quarterback Donovan Mcnabb continues to be of the belief that he deserves to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
"Absolutely," Mcnabb told TMZ sports. "I'm not hesitating on that. I am a Hall of Famer. My numbers speak for itself. ... My numbers are better than Troy Aikman, but he has Super Bowl rings and he's played with Hall of Famers as well."
It is not the first time that McNabb has said he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame and has compared his numbers to those of Aikman, the former Dallas Cowboys quarterback who won three Super Bowls.
McNabb spent 11 of his 13 NFL seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles In 167 career games, he completed 59 percent of his 5,374 pass attempts for 37,276 yards and 234 touchdowns.
By comparison, Aikman threw for 32,942 yards and 165 touchdowns.
McNabb was asked again if his statistics were good enough to warrant Hall of Fame induction and why he thought it hasn't happened.
"When they look at my numbers, yeah," McNabb told TMZ Sports, "but then they always want to add other stuff into it. 'Was he an All-Pro? Was he this? How many Super Bowl opportunities?' But people don't realize how hard it is to get to the NFC Championship. And to get there five times, then make it to a Super Bowl? It's tough."

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
He could have been so much better, if he would have been willing to run more.

For some reason he wanted to be thought of as a passing qb, but he was so inaccurate with short passes.

If you can run.. then run.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
McNabb was athletic enough to play basketball at Syracuse.

He's the fourth quarterback in NFL history to amass more than 30,000 yards passing, 200 TD passes, 3,000 rushing yards and 20 rushing TDs.

The other three are John Elway, Steve Young and Fran Tarkenton.

Good enough for me.

kane

EOG master

He's the fourth quarterback in NFL history to amass more than 30,000 yards passing, 200 TD passes, 3,000 rushing yards and 20 rushing TDs.

Good enough for me.

This is a pretty strong case for his inclusion

gravy

EOG Addicted
What has McNabb ever won Im guessing the the middle of my glazed donut I had this morning which is NOTHING

So that is a NO from me

kane

EOG master
What has McNabb ever won Im guessing the the middle of my glazed donut I had this morning which is NOTHING

So that is a NO from me

I don't know if McNabb is a HOFer or not, but judging an athlete based on how many championships he won isn't fair. I'm not comparing him to the great Dan Marino in any way, but they both have the same amount of rings, and had he played with those Aikman Cowboys teams, my guess is he would have won a SB or two and you would view him differently

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Good enough for me.
I think out of those four, McNabb is 4th. I think he’s on the outside looking in.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I don't know if McNabb is a HOFer or not, but judging an athlete based on how many championships he won isn't fair. I'm not comparing him to the great Dan Marino in any way, but they both have the same amount of rings, and had he played with those Aikman Cowboys teams, my guess is he would have won a SB or two and you would view him differently
But we kind of are judging him with that standard. A title obviously doesn’t guarantee that he’s a HOFer, but it does help a lot.

I don’t think Eli Manning is a HOFer either, but if it came down to him or McNabb, Eli is probably getting more consideration.

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
on a slight side note.

On youtube you can watch a bunch of old NFL games.

QBs' passing skill went way up over the years. Most of those legends would be backups in today's game as far as their passing skills go

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
on a slight side note.

On youtube you can watch a bunch of old NFL games.

QBs' passing skill went way up over the years. Most of those legends would be backups in today's game as far as their passing skills go
Football is the one sport that you have to stick to comparing players from their era only. The players who really stand out are the ones who transcend 2-3 eras - Tarkenton was one.

gravy

EOG Addicted

Yeah but when you talk about great QB's that played in the NFL how many do you have to name off before McNabb name comes up I am guessing alot IMO.Going to the Championship That a QB won dont forget I recall he played in 1 Super Bowl and lost but puked his guts out in the huddle of that game and had numerous other chances to get to Super Bowls but either throws a big pick 6 against TB that cost the Eagles.Maybe some blame could go to the Stay Puff Marshmellow man in Andy Reed who also is overatted but that another story for another time

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
Football is the one sport that you have to stick to comparing players from their era only. The players who really stand out are the ones who transcend 2-3 eras - Tarkenton was one.

Actually i had players like Marino, Kelly and Elway in mind. I was surprised how inaccurate they were

kane

EOG master
But we kind of are judging him with that standard. A title obviously doesn’t guarantee that he’s a HOFer, but it does help a lot.

I don’t think Eli Manning is a HOFer either, but if it came down to him or McNabb, Eli is probably getting more consideration.

And I'm saying it isn't fair to judge any athlete's HOF worthiness based on how many titles he won, the sports landscape is littered with great athletes that never won a title, it shouldn't diminish their HOF chances or the way we view them, I know some people put a lot of stock in how many rings an athlete has, I personally don't

kane

EOG master

Here's a perfect example, of what I mean. If you compare the careers of Eli and Philip Rivers, Rivers has better numbers across the board, but Eli is practically a lock to get in due to his 2 SB rings, the main reason why he has those rings is the Giants defense, but it doesn't matter, 2 rings gets you in. Personally I think Rivers gets in as well, but there will be many who hold it against him that he never won a title (assuming he doesn't), but it doesn't change the fact that he's had a much better career than Eli

Polar

EOG Member
Here's a perfect example, of what I mean. If you compare the careers of Eli and Philip Rivers, Rivers has better numbers across the board, but Eli is practically a lock to get in due to his 2 SB rings, the main reason why he has those rings is the Giants defense, but it doesn't matter, 2 rings gets you in. Personally I think Rivers gets in as well, but there will be many who hold it against him that he never won a title (assuming he doesn't), but it doesn't change the fact that he's had a much better career than Eli

That defense was lucky to have a QB that took the ball 2 times to game winning drives to win 2 super bowls.

McNabb had teams that could have won also but he choked every time.

Not close to a HOF player. The stats can be attributedtoo Andy Reid.