Emini Trading Journal

SSI

EOG Dedicated
a few people have asked some things about trading commodities. i can answer alot of questions that you may have and if i cant, i can have them answered for you.

i have traded commodities since 1996, off and on, both with some success and some failurs, like most things.

commodity trading is a world that is a lot like gambling and im sure many of you would fall in love with it, if you knew about this, maybe its a good thing that you dont.

but on with the story and ill try and not ramble.

as i was saying, i can answer most questions, as i have traded (cattle, hogs, cotton, orange juice, cocoa, sugar, soybeans, soybean oil, soybean meal, corn, wheat, gold, silver and the dow, nasdaq and finally the emini sp).

however for the last 2 years, i have traded almost exclusively the emini sp 500 and for the past 8 months, i have traded it pretty heavily, averaging from 5-20 trades per week, depending on my system. i trade from a 100% mechanical system and in this thread, ill be glad to lay out the trades and discuss the system.

just last thursday i began to teach my cousin how to trade this market, so ill begin with the last 3 trades and just pick up from there.

i trade and have since 1996 at (redlands futures and options), they clear thru the big firm of (rj obrien and associates)... i have used the same broker for all those years, almost exclusively, his name is Nick Kioussis, phone number (1-888-550-6339)... if you call it, tell him Stinger sent you and he will right away know what your talking about, as he knows all of my trades and what i am doing.

that is why i use a fulltime broker, who charges $25rt, i dont have to be tied to the computer all the time.

let me quickly give you a little more info about the market.

Emini SP 500 (ES), is the market i trade. It trades almost around the clock. From 6:30 pm cst sunday evening, until 3:15 pm cst friday afternoon..... It close daily from 3:15 to 3:30 (mon-fri) at this time each days numbers are settled and at the bottom of the hour (3:30) the next day begins. so mondays trading for me, esssentially begins in 3 hours and i do have an order working but do not currently hold a position (more on that later).

In the emini, each point is worth $50 and the market trades in quarter point increments... example (822.50)(822.75)(823.00)(823.25) you get the idea, from 822 to 823 is 1pt and is worth $50..... You can either BUY (go Long) or SELL (go short) first. you do not buy and hold. If you think the market is going higher then you BUY, if you think its going lower then you SELL first. Once you enter, i always place a "stoploss" order for protection, so yes you limit your losses and if your order is hit, you are automatically taken out of the market. I also, upon entry, place my Profit Target and if its hit, then im automatically cashed out of the market, no questions asked.

Basically you open a trading account, begin trading and collect your profits with a check, whenever you like. The Overnight Margin for the emini is $5000 but as ill get into later, there are many ways to beat this margin, i do it all the time, if im trading multiple contracts (more on that later).... However i can daytrade with very little, as long as i have stops in place that limit my losses. Of course im given a little free reign at my brokerage house as ive been a client for almost 13yrs.

Let me start with my last 3 trades and pick up from there, with the next few trades or as long as anyone is interested in discussing this.

1. 1/30/09: Sold 1 ESH09 at 858.00, took profits at 843.00 on a preset profit target. profit of 15pts in a few hours (+$750)

2. 1/31/09: Long 1 ESH09 at 846.00, took a loss at 835.00 on a preset stoploss order, for a loss of 11pts (-$550).

3. 1/31/09: Short 1 ESH09 at 835.00, took profits at 820.00 a couple of hours later, for a profit of 15pts or (+$750)

so as you can see, i had 3 trades on thursday and friday combined for a profit of 19pts (+$950) -3 comm of $25 each.

i currently am not in the market but i have a GTC (good til canceled) order working to BUY 1 ESH09 at 830.50.......... this is called a BUYSTOP and if the market trades up to this point, i will automatically enter the market with this preset order. the market currently sits at 822.50, so it needs to rally in order for me to enter.

more later on what type of system i use and why my Orders are done in this manner.

any questions, ill get them ASAP as ill be in and out of this thread. ill discuss the movements in the market and when possible, ill be doing LIVE TRADING in this thread...

remember, market opens in 3 hours. who needs the SuperBowl.

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated
Re: Emini Trading Journal

Let me go on rambling.

as i said, i trade a 100% Mechanical System, so i have no opinion of which way the market is headed overall, nor do i care at this time, when it pertains to trading the emini.

i simply need it to move in somewhat bigger stretches.... Example, enough to get me into the trade and then enough to cash me out of the trade.

the Low of the last move down friday was 817.50, this move is the one that i cashed out at 820.00 for a 15pt profit... I always use a 15pt profit target as its a part of my system... sometimes i leave alot of money on the table and at other times it has helped me tremendously. more on this as we actually enter the trades.

btw, you can follow this during the day on CNBC.... look at the top of the channel on the left hand side, the box marker SP............. this is a listing of the CASH PRICE of the sp 500. what i trade is the futures price of the emini sp 500 but the numbers are close and can be used to know where your at, at all times... I also have LIVE quotes on my computer and have internet access to delayed quotes on cellphone and i also call broker as much as i want during the day, mostly placing orders when i call.

as i was saying the low of the last move was 817.50.... once the move down stops, i then place an order exactly 13pts off the last move's low. thus my next entry is a buystop at 830.50.............. now the market settled friday at 822.50........ if it goes lower, i will not be engaged in any trade and if it drops below 817.50, say down to 810.00...... then i will lower my buystop from 830.50 to 823.00..... still 13pts off the low of last move...

hope i didnt lose anyone there and ill go over this again, once i enter back into my next trade. ill list the entry, exactly why i entered here and then set my profit target, along with my stoploss order.

one other thing............ my stoploss order, is also a stop/reverse order. once i exit the market with a Loss, i am automatically entered into my next trade. i have a 2 units stop/reverse order always waiting.

now im sure i lost you there but if you will go back and look at my Trade #2 listed above....... notice i took an 11pt loss at 835.00 and my entry on trade #3 was also at 835.00............. this was all set ahead of time and the orders were executed automatically..

more later on this, as we enter and exit trades..

any questions, ask away.

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

market opens at 823.75, moves to a high of 826.25, currently at 823.50

back to the game,,,,,,,, order still working.

4. BUY 1 ESH09 830.50 on a buystop (GTC)....

more later, enjoy the game.

SSI

?natin'on$'s

EOG Enthusiast

Why fullservice, since you have your own system ?
I know you may have a relationship with them and feel comfortable but 25$ RT is like playing into a 50 cent baseball line. You could get 4.80/RT with Brokers that are just as if not more reputable and also they pay interest on unused balances. Most have order platforms that are server side meaning you don't have to sit at the computer all day and a order desk to get you out of trades in case of emergency.

If you are comfortable with it cool, I just feel like there something I'm missing about why you are paying so much

SSI

EOG Dedicated

yes you are.... im just not comfortable trading online.... guess if from old school..

and i do a lot of monitoring and trading, while im doing other things...

im sure someday, ill switch to online trading, maybe this year..

no doubt its cheaper...

last price 825.00

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

also, im in and out of my house and business during the day.... there are many times that i need to change orders or cancel orders and have no access to computer for various reasons but i can simply call broker and have him do it......... and he is aware of what im doing and many times, moves my stops without me calling in, as he knows my system..

last price 823.75, must be pretty quiet tonight in the Asian markets. some game going on..

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

as i type this, its around 9:30 pm cst.... time for me to retire for the evening, ill be away from the market until 4:00 am cst...

my lone order remains working..

Buy 1 esh09 on a stop at 830.50 (gtc).....

at 4:00 am, ill rejoin and keep a constant eye on the market... this is my life and how i trade..

i have no moves to make unless my trade is engaged at 830.50 or we have a breach of the low of fridays last move down at 817.50.

last trade 825.25

more tomorrow.

SSI

cheapseats

EOG Master

also, im in and out of my house and business during the day.... there are many times that i need to change orders or cancel orders and have no access to computer for various reasons but i can simply call broker and have him do it......... and he is aware of what im doing and many times, moves my stops without me calling in, as he knows my system..

last price 823.75, must be pretty quiet tonight in the Asian markets. some game going on..

SSI[/quote

Change orders, cancel orders, no computer, talk to a broker-not mechanical by any means of the definition. Never-the-less, enjoy your trading experience.

SSI

EOG Dedicated

actually its quiet mechanical and ill show you and explain as i go along..

i guess by mechanical, i mean, my trades are taken automatically, as my opinion does not matter..

its just past 4:00 am cst and we have had a huge selloff overnight.

the overnight high was only 826.25, so my order to buy was never filled and i will now be canceling that order, as we have made a new overnight low to 806.50...

current price is 808.00, so once this move lower stops, i will trail it with a buystop, exactly 13pts from the low of the move (this is mechanical to me).... so basically im waiting on a 13pt rally from the low of this move to get Long..

until then i sit..

now i must work for 4hrs but will be constantly monitoring the situtation..

ill update this at 8:00 am cst..

good day

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

cnation, no, i am trading a mechanical system that generates all my trades. all i do is keep moving my entrys and then when entered, i keep adjusting my stop/reverse orders...

ive been monitoring the market all morning at my store, while doing my job there.... i own a convenience store btw....

we still have the low at 806.25 in place..... my BUYSTOP is currently located at 819.25, exactly 13pts off the low of this move...

My trades alternate from (buy) to (sell) in that fashion.. my next trade will be a Long..... i dont try to outguess it, i just go with it....

if we keep going lower today, i will not be entered into the market....

this system has been on fire since last June, when i sold out to it completely and hits at over a 50% win rate..

50% is very good with this..... here is why..

ALL my winners are exactly (+15pts) (+$750) and
ALL my losers fall between (1-13pts) (-$50 to -$650)

average loss is around 8pts (-$400) where my winners are ($+750), so you can see that 50% overtime will lead to huge profits..

as i said, here are my last 3 trades.

1. winner (+15pts)
2. loss (-11pts)
3. winner (+15pts)

currently flat with this order working.

4. Buy 1 esh09 on a stop at 819.25 (gtc)..

until that order is filled or we break the low at 806.25, i do nothing.

back later...

Last trade 810.00

SSI

showtime

EOG Member

Looking forward to your info SSI. I use a similar system for interactives, but looking to take it to real trading. This thread will help and is appreciated.

What is a suggested starting account balance?

Last edited:

SSI

EOG Dedicated

small rally going on at the moment, last trad 813.00

hopefully this wont bore anyone but i will average from (5-20) trades per week....

actually i do best coming in, around 10 per week..... if i have 4-5 in one day (and it happens) then usually im not doing good..

rally failed easily, now back to 809.00...

please remember this is just me, trading off a set system...... there are literally hundreds of ways to trade.

plenty of guys scalping points, all day long..... plenty of losers as well...

ask me, this is the ultimate form of legal gambling and most know nothing about it (again, probably a good thing).

last trade 811.00

back when i have something to report.

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

showtime, depends on what you want to trade and how you want to trade it..

for what im doing....... your supposed to have $5000 for every contract that you stay in overnight (overnight margin) but there are ways around it.

let me know what your thinking...... an account can be opened at my House for $1000...........

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

another rally underway, last trade 817.00

if it touches 819.25, then im in......... may or may not be a good thing but my personal opinion varies little.

want to explain 2 things.

when your entering a trade on a STOP order, whether its a buy or sell stop, all the market must do is touch it and your in.

when your exiting a trade, using a LIMIT order, the market must trade thru your price to guarantee an exit...

SSI

?natin'on$'s

EOG Enthusiast

Yes sir, I understand it is mechanical in nature as you are not doing discretionary trading.

But I just read all of the thread this morning and notice you had a buy stop at 830.50 and I knew that was the POC for the 30th.

So I thought you included Market Profile studies in your trading method.

SSI

EOG Dedicated

no, just a mechanical system

just entered fwiw.

4. Long 1 esh09 819.25, stop/reverse order now placed at 806.25, profit target set at 834.25

now i watch and see how high the move goes, when we stop moving higher, i will raise my stop/reverse order higher, thus eliminating risk from my trade.

initial risk (13pts) $650, set profit target 15pts ($750)

lets see how it shakes out.

SSI

showtime

EOG Member

SSI, you had mentioned that you have been on fire since June. Curious as to what that means in terms of cash. If you had 10K in your account in June and did not make any withdrawls, where do you think it would be now? Also are you in for the same amount now as you were in June - do you increase the number of contracts as you go?

?natin'on$'s

EOG Enthusiast

ask me, this is the ultimate form of legal gambling and most know nothing about it (again, probably a good thing).

SSI

Better than that .. it's the best BUSINESS in the world.
No customers. Can do it anywhere in the world with internet.

Only thing I question is why here?
Don't think many really care, if they did they would be doing there own leg work\study with more discipline than the NOI. Also you can't blame the refs, you can't blame somebody missing field goals, only blame yourself and lastly there is no drama. When you trade correctly with discipline it is actually boring.

SSI

EOG Dedicated

for this journal, im writing it up as one unit trades, it will cut down on the confusion bigtime.

just follow along, ill list all the exact trades and you can see where we wind up, after 50-100 trades..

stop/reverse raised to 808.25, as market moved to 821.25 (at least)... ill wait until the upmove has slowed down and reset the stop/reverse order.

max loss now is 11pts (-$550) hopefully this will keep being reduced... and remember, if im knocked out with a Loss, im automatically re-entered on my next trade, which is a Short...

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

cnation, your absolutely right... i trade daily but rarely post anything here.

just thought id try and turn some of the guys on,,,,,,, to the best form of legal gambling anywhere..

SSI

?natin'on$'s

EOG Enthusiast

Interested in hearing you reasoning for taking trades.

Will give you mine of why i took the short for 2.5 quick points.

That 822 we touched was the Volume Area Low from Jan 30th. We touched it and it got rejected. Notice it is also a pinbar (Pinocchio bar).

There will need to be demand to break through and hold that 822. Trying to get it at as we speak

View attachment 2963

Divergence between CCI and Price on the GBP\USD currency spot(cash) market.
Will pop short at the bar if everything holds in the GBP|USD market.

SSI

EOG Dedicated

dont blame you at all for taking the quick points, as i said there are many ways to trade...

again, what im using is a mechanical system. i have no reason for taking the trade, other than following this system..

think i posted the wrong date, on my earlier 3 trades, let me clear that up and set up my current trade, then im going to take a break... i will monitor by TV or cellphone...

1. 1/29: short at 858.00, out at 843.00 (+15pts)
2. 1/30: long at 846.00, out at 835.00 (-11pts)
3. 1/30: short at 835.00, out at 820.00 (+15pts)

current trade.

4. 2/2: long from 819.25, FIXED profit target (limit order) at 834.25, a stop/reverse (2 lot order) is set at 808.75, as i have the high of this move at 821.75... i always trail a 13pt order, off the high of current move, for re-entry on next trade... regardless of profit or loss on current trade. if we move higher than 821.75 on this trade, my stop/reverse order will be moved higher.

max profit on all trades 15pts, max loss on this trade (10.5pts) or $525..

back later today, either going to take a nap or go to gym, leaning towards a nap..

last trade 816.50

SSI

?natin'on$'s

EOG Enthusiast

Yeah but what is the mechanical reason--why did the system pick those prices, you are not picking numbers out the air.

Good nap
Happy Trading

SSI

EOG Dedicated

the reason is simple, 13pts off the low of the move. i know you dont understand and it took me some time to sell out to this system but it works, hopefully i can show you what im talking about as we move thru the trades.

broker just called and woke me up, market is headed higher, which is good since we are Long.

currently making new highs since our entry, we now sit at 825.75, so we will be raising our (stop/reverse order) to a minimum of 812.75, so our risk has now been cut to 6.5pts or $325...

ill wait until this high has finished before i raise the stop/reverse, ill raise it by doing what is called a 'cancel replace order"...

it will look something like this..

cancel replace selling 2 at 808.75 and now sell 2 at 812.75 on a stop.

4. 2/2: Long 1 esh09 from 819.25, fixed profit target at 834.25, stop/reverse order at 812.75

back with any updates later today.

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

just hit 827.00, so our stop/reverse order will be moved to a minimum of 814.00........ always 13pts from the low or high of move... our risk has now been reduced to a mere 5.25pts or $262.50....

seriously back a little later... at the price of 827.00, i am up roughly $400 on this trade and realize that i could exit at any time i choose but im sold out to my system and now listen to it 100% of the time.

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

ok trade #4 is now complete.... the market rally stalled out at a high of 827.25, unfortunate for me.... it then sold off and has knocked me out and reversed me short at 814.25.... for a loss of exactly (-5pts) (-$250)...

here is a current rundown of last 4 trades, beginning on thursday jan 29.

1. winner (+15pts) (+$750)
2. loss (-11pts) (-$550)
3. winner (+15pts) (+$750)
4. loss (-5pts) (-$250)

currently in trade #5 and it looks like this.

5. short 1 esh09 814.25, fixed profit target at 799.25, stop/reverse order temporarily placed at 826.00.... as we dropped only to 813.00

so as you see, now im short and need a drop in the market, how quickly things change...

back later..

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

thx doc, will update this later tonight, got to go out for a few hours.

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

sorry guys for the delay in posting..

i have 5 employees at my store, 2 are down with the flu.... ive got to work today, so ill catch this up with trade #5 this evening.... if anyone is interested.. if not, i gave it a shot..

SSI

?natin'on$'s

EOG Enthusiast

While I know I'm not the audience you are looking for, I'm down anytime you want to chat it up about trading.

Much success with your system and splendid trading to you.

showtime

EOG Member

Same here. If I can use my wsex system on the emini futures, then that's the way to go in my mind. Have a lot to understand here, looking forward to your strategy.

SSI, gotta a good recommendation on a book for this? I have no clue, but your sparked my interest

?natin'on$'s

EOG Enthusiast

I will give you my 2 ticks worth.

Dr Harris' Book Market Microstructure for Practitioners (Hardcover)

http://www.amazon.com/Trading-Exchanges-Market-Microstructure-Practitioners/dp/0195144708

Excellent to start, IT WILL NOT TEACH YOU ANYTHING ABOUT TRADING PER SE, it will teach you about the players in the game and as the title says Market Microstructure, which is something everyone should know.

Next understand that your trading plan has to be tailored for you. Your risk tolerance, the time frame you trade on, the products you trade should be tailored to you.

The tools you use may not be the tools the next man uses as we all have different expectations, time frames etc. Remember if we are all looking at the same thing and for the same thing no transactions would take place.

I enjoy incorporating Market Profile in my trading.
Start here with the Chicago Board of Trade Market Profile Handbook to get started with MP
http://www.cbot.com/cbot/docs/handbook.pdf

Next it you want to delve deeper in Market Profile Dalton is where you would go next.
Markets in Profile
http://www.amazon.com/Mind-over-Markets-Generated-Information/dp/0934380538

Next I would say learn the relationship between Price and Volume. Yes some people would tell you that you don't need volume, but studying volume was what gave me the aha! moment.
There is VSA-- Volume Spread Analysis which is a particular form of reading volume price relationship. Also there is the great Wyckoff grab any and everything you can find on Wyckoff.

Have a browse here, my favorite forum--there is a Wyckoff and VSA section with plenty people who are knowledgeable and are willing to help along with several other forums.
You will also notice a certain level of respect and professionlism by most on those boards. (elitetrader excluded)

http://www.traderslaboratory.com
Could someone give you their trading plan and tell you follow these rules? Sure they could but most of the time you will not have the same results as emotions and uncertainty set in and could hamper performance. If you are going to just trade someone's system, just let them trade it for you if they are willing for a fee and the HAVE A PROVEN TRACK RECORD which can be backed up by statements.

Jordan said it the best, don't be the next Mike be the next YOU!

I know how I veiw the market so I like to get others ideas as well.

Be ready to fail and struggle, but don't give up. You don't become a lawyer after reading a few books and browsing some forums. You have to take on some cases and get some experience, it is the same here.

Now you could do the all the above and it still may not click for you.
You may say "this" doesn't work or that doesn't work or that "market profile" doesn't work. Before frustration sets in realize it's YOU that's not working, YOU are the only common factor between all those roads you went down. Sometimes I need kung fu to beat my opponent, sometimes karate, but it takes practice and discipline to master any of the arts let alone several of them.

Lastly do it for the love of trading\learning, the desire to learn more about supply and demand, and the markets that affect millions of people including yourself.

Splendid Trading.

cheapseats

EOG Master

I'm not sure why you don 't hedge certain trades with SSO, seems like a very good and natural to mechanical system...

SSI

EOG Dedicated

ok guys, let me catch this up...

these trades have all happened since last thursday (jan 29)

1. short 1 esh09 858.00/ out at 843 (+15pts)

2. long 1 esh09 846.00/out at 835.00 (-11pts)

3. short 1 esh09 835/out at 820.00 (+15pts)

then it turned sour, i wont sugar coat it.

4. long 1 esh09 819.25/out at 814.25 (-5pts)

5. short 1 esh09 814.25/out at 825.75 (-11pts)

6. long 1 esh09 825.75/out at 816.75 (-9pts)

7. short 1 esh09 816.75/out at 829.00 (-12pts)

8. long 1 esh09 829.00/out at 844.00 (+15pts) just now.

record thru these 8: 3 wins/5 losses (-4pts)

so im in the red a few points, which is expected, when you just extract a random time frame...

overall since last sept 22

(+$29,000) in profits over 265 trades and this is based on one unit trading.

now i wait on my next trade, which will be a Sell, exactly 13pts from the high of this upswing, which has now hit 847.25

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

nice up day today, as we have hit 848.75 on the emini now. i hold no position at the moment and am merely going to trail my 13pt sell stop...

i expect todays high to be somewhere between 849.00 and 855.00... i would be mildly surprised if we traded over that today.

SSI