Francisco Lindor breaks the bank

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Only two bigger contracts in Major League Baseball: Mike Trout ($426 million) and Mookie Betts ($365 million).

Ridiculous contract but congrats to him, his agents and all the other guys with their hands out looking for a pay day in the future. Pretty funny the whole Tribe payroll less than average year on this contract

I guess that's wrong I just looked, the Tribe must have added some payroll. Still $39m opening day for the team versus Lindors $34m AAV

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated
It’s so wrong. He had turned down $325mm for ten. But, as a Mets fan, I like this a lot better than digging through the dumpster for players. Still a good shot that they don’t make the playoffs.

Ray Luca

EOG Master
I think 5mm a year is deferred to 2032-41 but he gets 21mm signing bonus. He'll be 38 at the end

Valuist

EOG Master
I'm trying to recall how many 10 year or more contracts actually worked out well for the team. Not many come to mind.

mr merlin

EOG Master
The problem with him is that he seems to have peaked as a very good but not great player. ridiculous to give him a contract like that.

I'm trying to recall how many 10 year or more contracts actually worked out well for the team. Not many come to mind.

Wasn't 10 years, but totally reminds me of the Carl Crawford contract. Obviously a lot more money in it than Crawford got, but I could see whoever owns his rights releasing him with 2-3 years left on the deal.

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
JFC...seems like only yesterday that Koufax and Drysdale holding out for 100,000 grand.....

Yep.
I’m an old enough to remember that.
They were widely perceived as greedy.

I would have sworn it was $100k each, but holdout was for $1 million combined for both for 3 years.
They settled for @ $125k for Koufax, $110,000 for Drysdale.
Drysdale was arguably their best HITTER.
Even better than Bob Gibson, who also was a great hitter.

Lindor’s pay per GAME would @ cover BOTH of their ANNUAL salaries.

And while I would agree with Viejo that, to me, it seems like only yesterday, I gasped when I realize how many years ago it really was.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

How about Derek Jeter's 10-year deal with the Yankees in the early 2000s?

Ten years for $189 million.

MrTop

EOG Master
The 53-year-old founder and chief executive officer Denise Coates of Bet365 Group Ltd. pocketed ($648 million) last year... a little more than lindor

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Wasn't 10 years, but totally reminds me of the Carl Crawford contract. Obviously a lot more money in it than Crawford got, but I could see whoever owns his rights releasing him with 2-3 years left on the deal.
Theo was bad with big money signings. I wonder how much of it was Red Sox ownership wanting him so the Yankees couldn't have him?